Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

leash recommendations

totallyhip
October 26th, 2008, 09:44 PM
We are going thru leashes like crazy. I am always on the lookout for a good strong leash that has a strong clasp to it. Seems after a while the springs go kaput on the clasp and sometimes when the dogs shake or pulls it just comes undone :eek: Anyone have this problem or can recommend a good one? :shrug:

KarenC
October 26th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Never had a problem with a leash unless I was dumb enough to leave it out and about and one of the pups chews it. LOL

I love leather but I would love to know what other people are using? I did buy this round one (kinda looks like a mountain climbing rope) but I find it heavy to hold in my hand. (I have hand and wrist problems).

Are the leashes getting destroyed because of pulling or chewing or just normal wear and tear?

Stacer
October 26th, 2008, 09:51 PM
You could try modifying a leash with one of those strong threaded screw-close carabiners.

I like to use just a plain old nylon webbing leash. I find that the leather leashes stretch too much when she pulls and I don't feel as secure. The nylon ones feel more secure to me.

totallyhip
October 26th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Yeah just normal wear and tear:(

We have 1 leather and its a nice leash. But it rains here alot in the winter and its gross when it gets wet. Yes it does stretch too which I don't like. I use the nylon ones. I like the idea of getting a Carabiner from the mountain climbing shops. I'll see if I can work it somehow. Thanks for the tip!

KarenC
October 26th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I liked the idea of the mountain climbing rope one because it does really look durable and solid. I just cannot hold onto anything for a long period of time especially if it is thick and heavy like that (probably fine for a normal person though).

I find the nylon ones too thin and slippery whether it is raining or not. LOL.

Spatx
October 27th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I just use a standard 6ft. nylon leash, the one I use with Cody actually has a second handle that lets me hold him close quickly and easily. I've tried leather and rope leashes, and haven't been too happy with either. The nylon ones haven't given me any problems - the only time is if I bring them camping or to the beach... the sand/dirt makes the clasps incredibly difficult to open/close.

totallyhip
October 27th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Funny thing.....after I posted this I took Luke for a walk and he shook and his leash unclipped! There goes another one! I lost 2 this week :sad:

I know what you mean about holding a rope type leash. My hands are small and alot of times I have a hard time with those types. I did notice that the nylon leashes come in different widths. We get the widest ones. I don't like the thin ones either.

Guess I'm off to the store tomorrow to get 2 new ones! :frustrated:

satchelp
October 27th, 2008, 07:25 PM
We are going thru leashes like crazy. I am always on the lookout for a good strong leash that has a strong clasp to it. Seems after a while the springs go kaput on the clasp and sometimes when the dogs shake or pulls it just comes undone :eek: Anyone have this problem or can recommend a good one? :shrug:

I've been using these leashes (see link) for about 3 years now and they are great. They are only available in the US, through Amazon.com, but they are not that expensive to begin with, so even with the postage it is worth it for me. A bonus is that the handle is encircled with semi-pliable plastic, so it holds it's shape (open) which makes it great for handling in the winter with mittens on. The leashes are lightweight, but the clasp is heavy duty and has never slipped on me (3 dogs x 3 years!).

http://tinyurl.com/68fe6s

Chaser
October 27th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I've had the clasp pop open on two flat nylon leashes from Wal-Mart, and completely broke on a "mountain leash"....not to mention those stupid round mountain ones are impossible to grip and have given me rope burn!

I've been using two flat nylon leashes made by Hamilton Products that I got at Pet-Valu. No problems at all and the clasps are still tight and sturdy three months later. I agree with getting the biggest width...the skinny ones dig into your skin.

totallyhip
October 27th, 2008, 09:56 PM
OK I got 2 leashes today. One is a European leash. Which is fantastic for when my husband walks the dogs together. Our trainer also recommended it because Leia is reactive and when the leashes pop off its good to have 2 on her ..... just in case! She did get away at the park one day with the dog walker and chased a lady and small dog across the park ....didn't do any damage but the lady was angry b/c she had to give her dog a bath after Leia slobbered all over her! LOL another story for another time:rolleyes:

The other leash I got has a different clasp on it. I have 1 leash that uses this same clasp and it seems to work wonderfully! The leash is made by Silverfoot. I do like the clasp but wish I could find one bigger!

https://www.silverfoot.com/store.php?crn=229&rn=533&action=show_detail

luckypenny
October 27th, 2008, 10:06 PM
We use 1/2" x 6' leather leashes with our dogs. They're doubled and stitched incredibly well with brass clasps. Super comfortable for my small hands as well. We've had them for over two years and no stretching at all. My BIL's trainer sells them for about 15$ for a 6' leash. They look a lot like this one:
http://www.allk-9.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=469&zenid=66bc52993e52d3d971af8db9638c411c

jessi76
October 28th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I like the idea of getting a Carabiner from the mountain climbing shops.

that's what we use. My fiance is a rock climber anyways, so we have plenty hanging around the house.

totallyhip
October 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM
that's what we use. My fiance is a rock climber anyways, so we have plenty hanging around the house.

I'm going to get one and see if I can save one of the broken (clasps) leashes. I don't think my sewing machine will go thru something that thick but I might be able to wrangle something