Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New to the forum

MindysMom
October 26th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I'm new to the forum. We are preparing to bring home our Cavalier puppy Max towards the end of November. It's been a LONG time since I had a pup since Mindy (our other Cavalier) is 10 and we got her at 8 months - and her companion, our Golden Retriever - Zeus who died in September was 11 1/2. I figured I'd better remind myself of what to expect. Who am I kidding - I'm excited. I bought a new crate this weekend under the heading "Mindy needs to get used to a crate that isn't hers" hanging around. Of course since I was shopping I had to pick up a few puppy toys (and Mindy toys - although she is pretty uninterested in most toys), a halter, a cute little collar and various other necessities:D

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Don't forget to puppyproof the house! And buy a pair of bicycle gloves to protect yourself from 'hamburger hands' during those trying teething times... :o

I hope you're planning on posting pictures of puppy when you bring him home? :D

TeriM
October 27th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Congrats, we definately will need some pics when she arrives :D.

I agree with Hazel ... lots of puppy proofing and make sure to let your older dog have lots of space away from the puppy and lots of cuddles.

Goodluck :goodvibes:.

CClover
October 27th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Hi and welcome!

MindysMom
October 27th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Good point I will have to go through the house at dog level. The only thing I have identified so far is electrical cords and our bread basket which sits right at puppy level at the moment. I'm pretty sure that I'll find lots of other things that I didn't think of once he gets home though. Gloves are a great idea. My plan is to keep the pup in an area of the kitchen when we aren't around once he is trained and let Mindy have free roam of the house as she does now. I am going back to school with Mindy next month before the pup comes so that she has a definite one on one time with me. I'm going to do my best to make sure she adapts well. She is quite lonely without Zeus (as hubby and I are). She still whines at lunchtime when I come home.

I'll certainly post pictures when the puppy comes home but I can start now. We went to meet him last weekend when he was 3 1/2 weeks old.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/DebD/IMG_0270.jpg

My Mindy girl

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/DebD/IMG_0296.jpg

spottydog
October 28th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Congrats on the new puppy, I'm sure you can't wait! He's adorable, both of them are.

TulipRoxy
October 29th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Aw..what a sweetie. Cavaliers are such nice dogs :) Good luck with the little one, and I can't wait to see pictures and hear puppy stories!