Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Strange-posts from pets.ca on another website.

Stacer
October 26th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I was just doing some pet related googling and came across this website that seems to have stolen old posts from pets.ca. It's really strange.

This post in particular (http://www.tendlife.com/pet-health/question-1136.html) has names of some current and former members of pets.ca in the post, that's what made me look closer at some of the other posts. Look at the first answer to the question, there are several names of pets.ca members.

Marko, do you have any idea what's up?

Stacer
October 26th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Here's one of Schwinn's old posts. I remember this one, it was shortly after I joined pets.ca.

http://www.tendlife.com/general/talk-1606.html

Too weird.

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 09:17 PM
You're right Stacer...look at this one: http://www.tendlife.com/pet-health/question-0110.html

Verbatim copy of one of mine. Only the posters' names and the dates of the threads are missing. :shrug:

Is this a violation of pets.ca's copyright, I wonder?

Frenchy
October 26th, 2008, 09:17 PM
What the heck is this ? :confused:

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 09:20 PM
What the heck is this ? :confused:

I believe it's called copyright infringement and plagiarism. :rolleyes: Do you think they're selling advertisement space on their bogus site? :shrug:

kathryn
October 26th, 2008, 09:21 PM
You're right Stacer...look at this one: http://www.tendlife.com/pet-health/question-0110.html

Verbatim copy of one of mine. Only the posters' names and the dates of the threads are missing. :shrug:

Is this a violation of pets.ca's copyright, I wonder?

I don't know what the heck is going on, but it might be a copyright violation to take things from a forum to place on another website. I am not sure if a copyright thing will cover individual members posts or the entire site or what :shrug:

So did they c&p your question onto there and have people answer it ?

Stacer
October 26th, 2008, 09:27 PM
So bizarre!!

Kathryn, the answers are also the pets.ca members'.

The site itself doesn't appear to be a forum, there's no way to post or "join"

Frenchy
October 26th, 2008, 09:27 PM
So did they c&p your question onto there and have people answer it ?

They copied everything , the questions and our answers :confused:

I was about to send an e-mail but my name is in my hotmail address :p

Stacer
October 26th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Frenchy, we don't want to tip them off before Marko gets a chance to check it out. What if they remove the site after you email them?

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Doesn't look like any new answers, though I didn't go all the way to the end of the one I looked at.

I did just email their contact email addy to ask them about it. (I blind-copied you, Frenchy and I'll let you know what they say if they get back to me, Stacer.)

kathryn
October 26th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Well that's just weird. I think our post may be free use or whatever though. Even then, I don't really see the point in doing this.

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Frenchy, we don't want to tip them off before Marko gets a chance to check it out. What if they remove the site after you email them?

Ooops. :o

:shrug:

:o

Think they'll remove the site, though?...looks like they went to a lot of trouble to get advertising for it. :o

Frenchy
October 26th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Can't wait to see if they'll answer you Hazel !

Diamondsmum
October 26th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I looked up on whois who owns the domain & its protected. *grumble

Let me do some digging on this guys!

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Well that's just weird. I think our post may be free use or whatever though. Even then, I don't really see the point in doing this.

They have ads on the site--the advertisers pay them money for space, but I'm sure they wouldn't do it if they didn't think all those posts originated on that site...cuz it's a pretty fair bet that the site doesn't get much traffic.

Diamondsmum
October 26th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Google ads are "free" the domain owner gets paid if you click the ads (not alot of money)

3.5 cents I think it is (I had them on my site)

Stacer
October 26th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Dontcha wish there was a reverse send button for email?:laughing:

The person who invents that will be a millionaire.

This is so intriguing, a mystery is afoot on pets.ca :D

Frenchy
October 26th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Well I'm offended. If someone wants to use my posts they better cough up the money :laughing:

hazelrunpack
Google ads are "free" the domain owner gets paid if you click the ads (not alot of money)

3.5 cents I think it is (I had them on my site)

Oh.

:D Okay, so now my question is the same as kathryn's. What's the point, then? :laughing:

Masha
Dontcha wish there was a reverse send button for email?:laughing:

Actually they have that feature in outlook, you can 'recall' your email if the other side did not open it yet. Quite handy at work sometimes ;)

Stacer
October 26th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Actually they have that feature in outlook, you can 'recall' your email if the other side did not open it yet. Quite handy at work sometimes ;)

That's crazy! *goes to check outlook*

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Did anyone check to see if the TJT is copied in there somewhere? :eek: :laugh:

Diamondsmum
October 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Something is very odd on that site... Working on it ;)

Frenchy
October 26th, 2008, 09:46 PM

:laughing: :laughing: if so they owe us BIG time !

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 09:46 PM

Unfortunately, I used my hotmail account as being less identifiable. :rolleyes: :o

Stacer
October 26th, 2008, 09:47 PM

Man, that would be some very strange reading for some random person coming across that site.

Stacer
October 26th, 2008, 09:48 PM

Go Diamondsmom go! Get to the bottom of this weirdness.

Hey, maybe there's a parallel pets.ca universe?

breeze
October 26th, 2008, 09:50 PM
just reading this.. so I clicked on a random page

http://www.tendlife.com/general/talk-0178.html it's got marko's name in it..

Frenchy
October 26th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Hey, maybe there's a parallel pets.ca universe?

hooo hooo , that would mean I would be rich on the other site ?

See ya everybody !

:laughing:

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 09:54 PM

Just don't tell me it's tainted with contagious viruses! :eek: :p

growler~GateKeeper
October 26th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Marko, do you have any idea what's up?

Marko knows about this site already, I pm'ed him a while ago to let him know about it, he said he was going to look into where it comes from but unfortunately this type of thing is quite common on the net

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 09:56 PM
See ya everybody !

You mean like in that other universe...or as in, you're signing off now? :D

CClover
October 26th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Look like a close website.If you hit the ''site map'' button you can see all the subjcets in alphabetical order.Some go back as far as 2003.
Weird...

http://www.tendlife.com/other/pet-talk-0726.html

14+kitties
October 26th, 2008, 09:59 PM
And if you look at the bottom of their pages it says they are copyrighted. :confused:

KarenC
October 26th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I would doubt that anything could be done against this person because this is a public forum. Not that it doesn't make him/her less of an ass for doing it. S/he is probably reading this right now..:eek:

Stacer
October 26th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Marko knows about this site already, I pm'ed him a while ago to let him know about it, he said he was going to look into where it comes from but unfortunately this type of thing is quite common on the net

Well this is rather anti-climactic. I was hoping for some exciting espionage.

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 10:02 PM

So do you know what the point of it is? :confused:

And for you TJTers...no, I didn't see a copy of it! :laughing:

There doesn't seem to be much of a search facility on the site? :shrug:

Stacer
October 26th, 2008, 10:03 PM
This is at the bottom of every page in this forum.

All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.

Frenchy
You mean like in that other universe...or as in, you're signing off now? :D

Yes I mean the other universe :D :goodvibes:

Diamondsmum
Its a spider .. copies content & basically posts it like its its own. Spider looks to be overseas China I think. PIA

KarenC
And if you look at the bottom of their pages it says they are copyrighted. :confused:

Now THAT is funny - they copy and then plant a copywrited stamp on it..LOL. :loser:

hazelrunpack

I noticed that! So think we should go steal our stuff back? :laughing:

S/he is probably reading this right now..:eek:

I hope so. :D I'd love to see them copy this thread to the site! :laugh:

Stacer
October 26th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Indeed, what is the point? Most/all of the posts are not included with the original question. And there are tons of picture posts where you can't see the pics but you can read all the ooooh-ing and ahhhhh-ing as we talk about the photos.

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Its a spider .. copies content & basically posts it like its its own. Spider looks to be overseas China I think. PIA

How very peculiar. :o

I hope no one is copying my site... I'll have to go all the way to China to track the :censored: down and let the Pack lick him to death. :frustrated:

:rolleyes:

14+kitties
October 26th, 2008, 10:07 PM

Frenchy!! It's YOUR fault!!! You're letting your darned spiders out to play again, aren't you????? :D

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 10:09 PM
And there are tons of picture posts where you can't see the pics but you can read all the ooooh-ing and ahhhhh-ing as we talk about the photos.

Oh...well....those sound like an entertaining read! :laugh:

14+kitties
October 26th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I noticed that! So think we should go steal our stuff back? :laughing:

Sure! Let's get all of the pets together and we can gang up on them! Between the setter spittle, the goobers, the claws, the bites, the fleas, etc.... shouldn't take much to convince them.

I hope so. :D I'd love to see them copy this thread to the site! :laugh:

I bet in a couple of days we do!

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Umm...DM...you dont' think this spider site is a sign that the web has gotten big enough to create its own artificial intelligence and is now plotting to take over pets.ca, do you? :eek: Say it isn't so!!! :yell:

:o

Frenchy
October 26th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Frenchy!! It's YOUR fault!!! You're letting your darned spiders out to play again, aren't you????? :D

:laughing: it must had been this one , she keeps using the computer while I'm at work. :shrug:

Stacer
October 26th, 2008, 10:13 PM
That spider's too cute to do something like this.

14+kitties
October 26th, 2008, 10:13 PM
:laughing::laughing: That one is almost cute! :D

CClover
October 26th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Maybe the e-mail adress in this page can be usefull...

http://www.tendlife.com/other/pet-talk-0726.html

14+kitties
October 26th, 2008, 10:19 PM
So it's a swap site? Very weird. :confused: And no Frenchy, not swapping men!

Frenchy
October 26th, 2008, 10:20 PM
And no Frenchy, not swapping men!

You always rain on my parade :yell:

Masha
October 26th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I think the swap thread was just another stolen thread from another website.... i could not find anything that looks 'original' to the site...

Diamondsmum
I sent a email to the domains host (who I actually have 1 of my sites with)
Should be taken down ASAP.

TeriM
Well this is rather anti-climactic. I was hoping for some exciting espionage.

:laughing::laughing:

Diamondsmum
October 26th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I betcha that is "Post" was taken from another site on the web

CClover
October 26th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I found that twin!!!!!

http://petoftheday.com/talk/index.php?

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 10:26 PM
So it's a swap site? Very weird.

deadline to sign up is Feb 9, 2007! I wonder if the swap site info was also stolen from another site? nebothehusky might know...but I'm done emailing for a while. :p

14+kitties
October 26th, 2008, 10:26 PM
You always rain on my parade :yell:

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Don't try to. I am still on the look out for you. Met a nice guy at work the other day. He's separated with two kids. How do you feel about kids??? :D

Frenchy
October 26th, 2008, 10:28 PM
How do you feel about kids??? :D

You don't wanna know :laughing:

no thanks :o

14+kitties
October 26th, 2008, 10:31 PM
You don't wanna know :laughing:

no thanks :o

:thumbs up It's ok. I have read about your sis' kids. Ooopps, shouldn't write that. Your sis might find it on the other site. :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 10:33 PM
:thumbs up It's ok. I have read about your sis' kids. Ooopps, shouldn't write that. Your sis might find it on the other site. :rolleyes:

:laughing: That would be a big oops... :p

Karin
October 26th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Try putting your own name in a Google search, real name, user name or what ever name you my go by.
I did, I was not happy. And, I have been stalked by a forum member from a board I was a member of for many years, we were all "family".
There are sicko's out there with too much time on their hands.
I recently quit another forum board, ( this was a bait) sadly, I will miss this one ..but it is being looked into. Same stalker.
Please take caution folks!

Frenchy
October 26th, 2008, 10:34 PM

:laughing: and :offtopic: :sorry: I went out with this guy for a year , he had a 3 yr old daughter .... it was hell. Since he only had her 1 week end every 2 weeks , he would let her do anything and she was a little monster. Even the grandparents didn't want her in their house ! :eek:

14+kitties
October 26th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Try putting your own name in a Google search, real name, user name or what ever name you my go by.
I did, I was not happy. And, I have been stalked by a forum member from a board I was a member of for many years, we were all "family".
There are sicko's out there with too much time on their hands.
I recently quit another forum board, ( this was a bait) sadly, I will miss this one ..but it is being looked into. Same stalker.
Please take caution folks!

I've done that before. Never had anything come up. Just tried it again to see if anything had changed. The only thing that came up that was actually me was my mom's death notice from July. :sad:

Frenchy
October 26th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I've done that before. Never had anything come up.

Me neither :angel:

:D

Your mom's notice is on the internet ? :sad:

14+kitties
October 26th, 2008, 10:58 PM
It's part of the obituaries from the newspaper. I had forgotten it would probably be there. You can get just about every paper online. Unfortunately the obits are part of it.

Frenchy
October 26th, 2008, 10:59 PM
:laughing: just found this : http://www.frenchyspipes.com/

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Hey, a new business for ya, Frenchy! :thumbs up Very lucrative I've been told! :D

I did a Yahoo! search on my real name and for the first time ever, it flagged the Pack's homepage! :eek: Couldn't figure out how till I remembered the copyright notice. :o :laughing:

14+kitties
October 26th, 2008, 11:05 PM
:laughing: just found this : http://www.frenchyspipes.com/

:laughing::laughing: Nice moustache Frenchy! You grew it pretty fast! Nice to know you support the troops though!! :thumbs up

krdahmer
October 26th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Ha that is bizarre... I googled myself a while ago, mostly posts from here show up, and the recipe I submitted to AllRecipes.com, and my highschool roster thing. Funny but nothing shows up to say I'm on Facebook...

14+kitties
October 26th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Hey, a new business for ya, Frenchy! :thumbs up Very lucrative I've been told! :D

I did a Yahoo! search on my real name and for the first time ever, it flagged the Pack's homepage! :eek: Couldn't figure out how till I remembered the copyright notice. :o :laughing:

Hey! I found your homepage too! :thumbs up Neat! Now I can bookmark it and read your newsletters too. :D

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Hey! I found your homepage too! :thumbs up Neat! Now I can bookmark it and read your newsletters too. :D

Well, there ya go! :D StoryTime is reachable from there, too.

Karin
October 26th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I have typed about three separate drafts on this subject and canceled all.

In a nut shell, when you are on a non secured website, it is a free for all.

I have a cyber stalker who is doing the same thing to me, so far I feel safe here, so far.

Anybody can copy/paste, we all know that. But they have to join right?

Not always...
*If you haven't changed your passwords lately, do. I do all the time. keep em wundering, lol.

14+kitties
October 26th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Well, there ya go! :D StoryTime is reachable from there, too.

I know. :D I just reread the John Deere one. It's one of my favs. :thumbs up

kandy
October 27th, 2008, 02:45 PM
This bot is probably searching for and copying threads with certain combinations of words in them. So even though it may look like a very random sampling of threads, they must all meet the criteria that the bot is looking for.

Bottom line, the internet is a public place and if you've got stuff out there you don't want people to see, you better delete it. In fact its becoming more common for potential employers to google your name - so if there are pix of you dancing with a lampshade on your head, that's probably not the image you want your potential boss to have of you. There are even companies out there now who will scour the net on your behalf to delete bad stuff, and if they can't delete it, they'll inundate the web with only positive stuff about you so that the bad stuff falls to the bottom of the list instead of showing up first. I google my own name regularly, as well as my on-screen names and have been known to search for others based on the names of their pets. If you were to google for their screen name + their pets name instead of just their screen name, you'd likely come up with more stuff.

Karin
October 28th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Good post Kandy.

Did you all know for $14.95 you can search anyone's email, phone, home address? For $10 more you can get a back round check including past law violations and a full report on your family too, including where they live. I have never paid this, do not want to, but because of my past problem I checked out a few things.
Most of this info being sold is common, and legal, and can be done by yourself.
I can access any legal document in the state of Florida, on anybody in any county. I did it too. I haven't tried any other state or anything for that matter...well, as far as my stalker goes...I did dig up some mud in self defense. I did not go further because then I would be the stalker....follow me so far? (Funny, having a cyber stalker that same stalker taught me)
It is way too easy.
Everything you post on a public forum is just that. Public.
I had a friend tell me long before I came back here...she was researching prednisone and came to this site and saw my name & Ciara's...
I do not know if she ever joined, I do not think so...but I wish she would.

What Kandy say's is true, It's a public forum, do not post anything you do not want repeated. (across the globe)

Scary stuff folks.

Schwinn
October 28th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Here's one of Schwinn's old posts. I remember this one, it was shortly after I joined pets.ca.

http://www.tendlife.com/general/talk-1606.html

Too weird.

Okay, how's this for weird? I'm actually in the middle of painting said screen door! That brought back memories, hard to believe that wasn't that long ago, and now little Schwinnette #2 has beaten the Keswick average for teeth! :D Oh, and she has a screen door of her own now, too!

Like has been said, it looks like bot someone who has set up to plagiarize other sites so they can get "google hits" for the purpose of someone clicking on the adds on their page (kind of like those sites you click on that are pages of "other searches") And I do think that this actually is breaking copyright laws. Plus, it is directing traffic away from the originating site. Not sure how enforceable it is, but I'm willing to bet if the owner of the site isn't the ISP, the ISP would shut them down. Maybe.

14+kitties
October 28th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Just came up for me. :shrug:

Diamondsmum
October 28th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Okay, how's this for weird? I'm actually in the middle of painting said screen door! That brought back memories, hard to believe that wasn't that long ago, and now little Schwinnette #2 has beaten the Keswick average for teeth! :D Oh, and she has a screen door of her own now, too!

LMAO keswick average for Teeth!!!! ohhhh LOL <off-topic>

I am a town neighbour That made me giggle big time

yup I refreshed & it came up for me too So delete post