Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Junco's are back, it's officially winter in my eyes

clm
October 26th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Had a flock of the cute birds fly in Friday. I've put up the feeders for winter. It's official, as soon as they arrive it's winter for me.
No more feeding the koi. I don't imagine it's going to warm up enough to feed them now until spring. :sad:
Still doing water changes on the pond once a week and will all through winter when the pond isn't iced over. Pulled up the pumps on Saturday to hose them off and my goodness that water was cold. :laughing:
While I like to see all the birds and enjoy having the feeders up, I so miss feeding the koi. I hate how the landscape looks once the trees have lost their leaves, and I dread winter driving. Going to take a lot to get me through the next 6 months if I'm feeling this bad about it already.

Cindy

Frenchy
October 26th, 2008, 06:01 PM
and I dread winter driving. Going to take a lot to get me through the next 6 months if I'm feeling this bad about it already.

Cindy

Same here clm. Of course , if I didn't have to drive anywhere for the next 6 months and if my fingers wouldn't freeze after 5 minutes every time I'm outside , I would enjoy it more. But it's not the case. :shrug:

Hoping the Koi will be ok :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Are you going to run aerators in the pond this winter in case it's another bad one, clm? brrrrrr...fishies must get cold....(where's that teeth-chattering smiley when you need one? :laughing:)

clm
October 26th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I'm hoping to keep the 3 pumps running both waterfalls as well as the two large air stones this winter......best plans can get destroyed quickly though, so should I need to shut down again, I will relocate 2 pumps and run them directly back into the pond and bypass the waterfalls to keep the water moving. I have a pond place not far from work, so I can always buy another pump quickly if need be too. There's no way I'll leave it with nothing running at all this time around. Might have been okay for goldies in the past, not good enough for the much larger but much more delicate koi. I'm also hoping for a better winter than last year.....it wouldn't be hard for it to be better. :laughing:

Cindy

Karin
October 26th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Here in the tropics...yeah right, it is getting "chilly" the last few days. Chilly is cool, saves on the electric bill. But we are going to get down to the 30's starting tomorrow night.
I am not turning on the heat until after the new year. I promised myself that already.
My self-cleaning oven needs just that, so I am saving it for the coldest night. It takes 4 hours and never do this during the summer, you cannot stand the heat the oven puts out.
Two birds, one stone. It's a plan.

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Ya, Cindy, last winter was a cold and snowy one! I think we had snow as late as April 28th this spring!

The Old Farmer's Almanac is predicting another cold and snowy one this year, too! :eek:

Thanks for the reminder, Karin--my oven has been begging for a cleaning for about 5 months now! :laughing: I should probably run the self-cleaning cycle, too, now that it's snowing outside... :o

Karin
October 26th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Ya, Cindy, last winter was a cold and snowy one! I think we had snow as late as April 28th this spring!

The Old Farmer's Almanac is predicting another cold and snowy one this year, too! :eek:

Thanks for the reminder, Karin--my oven has been begging for a cleaning for about 5 months now! :laughing: I should probably run the self-cleaning cycle, too, now that it's snowing outside... :o

It's better to do it when it's cold out...I take the "Doh" award for that one!
Last time I tried was this past summer...I canceled after 1 hour. To freakin' hot!
My oven has to temp up to 450 degrees and maintain for 4.5 hours.

Come on cold front..I ready ..

Oh...no I'm not. I do not like cold.

TeriM
October 26th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Must be that time of year, I put my feeder out today as well :thumbs up.