Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Calico cats

SyntheticSmile
October 25th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Ok, so I'm not the most knowledgeable cat person (I was raised by dogs and anti-cat people :shrug: ) - is there a difference between calico and tri-colored? I've heard that male calico cats are supposed to be rare. Is this true and if so, is it also true of tri-color cats (assuming that theres a difference)? And calicos can have longer hair to right?

Love4himies
October 25th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Not sure about the tri colour, but you can have a male calico (orange, black and white), they are extremely rare because it takes an x chromosome to make black and another x chromosome to make orange and males normally only have one. It is actually a genetic defect that would allow a male to be calico. I have seens calicos that do not have long fur. Tri colour I believe refers to any cat who has three colours. My Puddles is a blue cream point himmy, she would be considered tri colour, but not calico.

Joeyjoejoe
October 25th, 2008, 11:44 PM
When I was looking to adopt kittens, I did some research on this... Here's what I remember:

Tri-coloured cats are cats that have three colours, but they have to be red, black, and white. By red, I mean anything in that family of red colours (red, orange, cream, etc). By black, I mean anything that is either black, blue, grey, etc.

Tri-coloured cats are broken down into three types:

Calico - patches of the three colours
Tortoiseshell - three colours blended together
Torbie - the three colours form a tabby pattern

A male calico is a genetic anomaly. Instead of two genes, it has three (XXY). They are very rare and usually sterile.