Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Eats Poop (Yuck)

gsdlove
October 25th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I thought my dog would grow out of this but he is 17mos old and is still enjoying this disgusting habit. He was just switched recently to Orijen and I was hoping it would help. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks!

Marion

hazelrunpack
October 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Oh, good luck with this! We have 3 who are inveterate poop eaters...all of them between 2 and 7 years of age. :shrug:

There are some products that you can sprinkle on their food that supposedly give the poop a bad taste (although I can't imagine what could taste worse! :eek:). We've never had much luck with them, though. :o

totallyhip
October 25th, 2008, 11:04 PM
We had a foster that loved eating poop on our walks! :eek:
It was terrible!

We changed his diet (as I heard they are missing something in their diet that makes them do this). And the change of food seemed to help.

Frenchy
October 25th, 2008, 11:47 PM
It could also be that your dog eats too fast. And some of the kibbles are still intact in the poops so that is why he would eat it. If this is the case , you can put a Kong in the middle of his kibble so it will slow him down while he eats.

BusterBoo
October 26th, 2008, 07:59 AM
:yuck: Sorry no words of wisdom here, except to pick up the poop immediately. My daughter's shih tzu does this too (and she also owns a boxer who leaves big poop piles). :shrug:

KarenC
October 26th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Mine only do it with cat poop..but yeah I don't see them growing out of it.

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 09:34 AM
:yuck: Sorry no words of wisdom here, except to pick up the poop immediately. My daughter's shih tzu does this too (and she also owns a boxer who leaves big poop piles). :shrug:

This is basically our strategy, too. With 8, it behooves us to pick it up quickly, anyway, or the backyard becomes a dangerous place :rolleyes:, but with poop-eaters in the house, there's that extra incentive to keep the yards clean. :D

14+kitties
October 26th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Here are some other threads about the same thing. Maybe you can find some help in them. :shrug: Although I think when you have a poopeater only thing you can do is to clean up asap.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51219&highlight=dogs+eating+feces

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=58&highlight=dogs+eating+feces

gsdlove
October 28th, 2008, 06:53 PM
It's not his poop he eats. He eats the groundhog poop when I walk him on the golf course and other little turds left by other animals. GROSS!

Chaser
October 28th, 2008, 06:58 PM
It's not his poop he eats. He eats the groundhog poop when I walk him on the golf course and other little turds left by other animals. GROSS!

LOL....my shepherd likes to hoover goose crap. I feel your pain! :yuck: :laughing: