Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Proposition 2 - vote YES

badger
October 25th, 2008, 08:39 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/magazine/26animal-t.html?pagewanted=1&ref=magazine

NoahGrey
October 26th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks for this. This bill is the first time I wish I was American. I wonder which Pres candiate accepts this bill? It would be nice to know, for if I could I would soley vote for the whoever stood by this bill.

Wayne....one of my hero's.

The 'out of sight, out of mind' mentality needs to change.

Anyone know if they NY mag edition is on stand now? Anyone know who is on the cover?

ACO22

Winston
October 26th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Boy this is causing a great debate in the US..Oprah did a show on this not too long ago! It was quite interesting....

NoahGrey
October 26th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Boy this is causing a great debate in the US..Oprah did a show on this not too long ago! It was quite interesting....

I am wondering on were you stand with this bill? It is sad that this subject has to be debated. It should be a right. A right that our animals are treated fairly, with respect, love, the right to food, water, shelter. The right to never know what a abusive hand is. And my animals I mean ALL animals...not just our pets. Farm animals, wildlife, exotics.

It is disgusting that this issue has to be debated. Just shows that our animals will live in horrible and suffer needlessly for generations to come.

I also have to add, that it makes me nausa that so many people have skipped this thread. And I bet if this thread was for cats, dogs, small animals going through slaughterhouses, this thread would have so many posts. Too sad, too sad.

ACO22

Winston
October 26th, 2008, 01:45 PM
ACO where do I stand? Funny you should ask? I asked myself that same question? I dont know enough about it but plan to further read about it...
What I can tell you is that I agree we do treat animals of walks and kinds poorly! I only saw a portion of the show where they were debating between free range chickens and showing how we process chickens in a facilty...It was a HORRIBLE eye opener for me! To think that there are 6 chickens to a cage and they are each allowed to have approx the space of less than an 81/2 x 11 sheet of paper..I forget the measurment exactly but it looked to me like about 3/4 of a page? they are not allowed to really move around freely, stretch their wings and are sitting there mass producing eggs...also they showed the poor pigs...OMG this made me sick.

I remember going to the CNE here in Canada and looking at how the BIG Sows were in those metal contraptions to keep them imobile while there are babies feeding etc etc..it was a tough thing for me to see cause I have not seen that before. I think we make lot of assumptions about where things come from and truly are ignorant to how it gets there.

I think perhaps your not getting a reply here on this subject is likely for the same reason I didnt reply before. I only ever heard of this because I was watching Oprah?? I truly do not pay much attention to the US side of things but in general not a big tv watcher either..ignorance I guess??

NoahGrey
October 26th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I truly do not pay much attention to the US side of things but in general not a big tv watcher either

While yes, this bill is only in the states..the plight of farm animals living in factory farms/slaughterhouses is nation wide.

I think perhaps your not getting a reply here on this subject is likely for the same reason I didnt reply before.

While I agree that some people may not have heard of this bill, but people are aware of the WHAT goes on in factory farms/slaughterhouses. Most just choose not to see it. Enhance why it is still going on. People just don't care.

ignorance I guess??

That is exactly it! Society has the 'out of sight, out of mind' mentality.

ACO22

14+kitties
October 26th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I am wondering on were you stand with this bill? It is sad that this subject has to be debated. It should be a right. A right that our animals are treated fairly, with respect, love, the right to food, water, shelter. The right to never know what a abusive hand is. And my animals I mean ALL animals...not just our pets. Farm animals, wildlife, exotics.

It is disgusting that this issue has to be debated. Just shows that our animals will live in horrible and suffer needlessly for generations to come.

I also have to add, that it makes me nausa that so many people have skipped this thread. And I bet if this thread was for cats, dogs, small animals going through slaughterhouses, this thread would have so many posts. Too sad, too sad.
ACO22

I must say, without trying to cause any disturbance here, that this comment was not needed. It is the weekend and as such a lot of people don't sign in. I guess they have lives. Go figure. :rolleyes: Give it a chance. It was only posted by badger (thank you) last night at 8:39. I was on last night (I have no life) and there really was not a lot of action. Let's see what a week's time will do. JMO

Winston
October 26th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Well I think the majority of the people understand where meat comes from but I think that the comparison of free range vs factories would make people understand things better..As I understand it its about the humane housing of the animals that the US SPCA's are fighting for right? as part of the bill?

ancientgirl
October 27th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I didn't see this bill on my ballot, it didn't seem up for debate in my state. However, I have a good online buddy that lives in California and she's voting yes and so are many of her friends.

I think it's appalling the way these animals are treated, and when I made the mistake of looking at a short film about factory farming, well, let's just say I had to turn if off about 5 seconds into it. That moment changed my life. I became a vegetarian on the spot and I'm trying very hard to turn vegan. I want no animal products in my body or life. Well, I can't have them totally out of my life since I have to feed my cats. But I'm working towards getting them as much out of my life as possible.

I hate the fact there are so many people out there who have no problem with the way animals are treated in these places, worse, the people who know where their food comes from and don't care. Those who have no idea can choose to plead ignorance or just cowardice at not wanting to know.

It's sad, and I wish it would stop.