Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog food.. Suggestions?

babymomma
October 25th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Hi guys.. I have been feeding keely a diet consisting of Eagle pack hollistic select (wet) .. I accually dont like this food very muich, i would feel alot better about feeding her something else(Not sure why, but i dont think her stools are "right" while on this food) .. Up until resently i could not get wellness without driving 4-5 hours to get it, or getting it shipped and costing 20-30 dollars more. A new petstore opened An hour away from me that only carries 2 kinds of food. Royal Canine and Wellness.. I really liked the fact that the royal canine is breed specific. There is dogfood fos german shepherds, labs, hunting dogs(ETC. ETC)But most importantly Yorkieshire terriers. I dont know alot about this food, but the one im looking at is specially formulated for Yorkies, which for some reason, makes me want it because it seems like it would be best for the health of my dog. Can anybody give me any info on this ? Any personal experiances? Should i not feed this and just go to wellness? Im so confused. I suck a making decisions but im kind of leaning towards royal canine (I think that was the name of it, please forgive me if im spelling it wrong :S)

Tanks :D Jessica and Keely:dog:

babymomma
October 25th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Also, when we switch, She will be on kibble AND wet (MOstly kibble becaus eits good for her teeeth :) (And the caned is a bit pricey)

kathryn
October 25th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Just check out the ingredients on Royal Canin. Also, depending on where you live it's HUGEEEE Price tag $$$$!!

Just go with the Wellness. Wellness is a bit expensive it's self, but Royal Canin's ingredients usually don't include much yummy good stuff and usually are corn and wheat.

The reason it may be 'breed specific' or whatever is they may add some extra vitamins or something. Just check out what vitamins and minerals are in the bag of Royal Canin you were looking at, and if Wellness doesn't have it, just supplement it in if it makes you feel better. That's about all there is too it.

I work at a pet supply store and we do not carry royal canin because it is not up to our standards if that says anything :shrug:

CClover
October 25th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Royal Canine is not bad but it's more expensive b/c it comes from Europe.
I give Bébé Fromm, Duck and sweet potato variety.She a chinese crested(small breed)
It's a good quality product.Cost about 18.oo$ for 5 lbs.
http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-d-d-duck.php

Might be found near you...
http://www.trinatural.com/where_to_buy/retail_details.php?let=S&sp_id=10&name=Newfoundland

You can also take a look here:
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

How about raw food ?

TulipRoxy
October 25th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Royal Canin breed specific foods are kinda a gimic. They know that people are more likely to buy a food if they see their dog on the bag, its basic psychology. But the ingredients aren't that good.. I would go with wellness

Chaser
October 25th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I would avoid Royal Canin like the plague. The ingredients are not good, it's been affected in recalls, and I agree that the breed specific foods are a complete gimmick.

Definitely go with the Wellness. They even have a new Small Breed Adult formulla that you could try Keely on once she's done growing. :)

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/dog_wellness_dry_super5mix_small_adult_health.html

growler~GateKeeper
October 26th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Can anybody give me any info on this ? Any personal experiances? Should i not feed this and just go to wellness?

I would stay far far away from Royal Canin, my personal experience is my cat thankfully living through the food recall buit she developed Chronic Renal Failure - incureable kidney disease - because of their tainted outsourced ingredients.

Stick with either the Eagle Pack Holistic or go for Wellness :thumbs up

Royal Canine is not bad but it's more expensive b/c it comes from Europe.

The food is full of chemicals & unnecessary fillers - rice gluten, wheat gluten, corn etc. Wheat & corn are two of the most common allergins as well. The Royal Canin food on the Canadian market is not from Europe they have a Canadian division with manufacturing plant & offices located in Guelph Ontario however much of the ingredients are still sourced from overseas, recently the recalled wheat & rice gluten from China, now they are sourcing from India, Pakistan & Brazil.

I would avoid Royal Canin like the plague. The ingredients are not good, it's been affected in recalls, and I agree that the breed specific foods are a complete gimmick.

Exactly :thumbs up

babymomma
October 26th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Omg,I didnt realize that there were so many food recalls :eek: Whoah,I'll definatly be staying away from that food.. thanks sooo much everybody:thumbs up I'll definatly go with the wellness.. I guess im just one of those peoplle that falls for the fact that theres a picture of their dog on the bag:o..lol.. But i just thought that they made the food to suit the needs of different breeds:shrug: Well, Again thanks alot for stearing me away from royal Canin, because i was seriously leaning TOWARDS it:yuck: Again, Thanks, and keely thanks you too...

As for feeding raw, it is kind of out of the question. It would be soo much cheaper to feed her high quility food even though shes only about 7-8 lbs. because the price of good quility meat around here is rediculous:mad: Absolutely rediculous, we can barely afford to eat the meat around here ourselves:yuck: