Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

RR Refuge for Horses ~ No water

amaya
October 25th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Hello,

I received this email today.

I have been following the great work of this great equine rescue for a while and have also noticed that they have been mentioned on this site before as well.

They are in trouble, their well has gone dry (read below).

They are very reputable. They have been working at this for over 15 years. This is a nightmare.

Below is their website you can 'see' the set-up and the 'faces' of the animals they have rescued.

http://www.refugerr.org

Please consider sending this appeal to any equine lovers you know.

READ APPEAL BELOW

The RR Refuge for horses in Alexandria, Ontario is in urgent need of our help. Their well has gone dry. Water drillers have been digging for the past month in effort to find water. They will have to dig further up the lane which will double the cost. With no guarantee of finding water, it is estimated the cost will be in the area of $18,000. There are over 150 animals, and they desperately need water.

Like all refuges, what abounds is dedication, lots of love, and much poverty. The refuge can't continue like this.

The RR Refuge for Horses, desperately needs our HELP! Please cross post far and wide to help put this refuge right again.

The RR Refuge for Horses
21305 Concession 10
RR2
Alexandria, Ontario
K0C 1A0
Telephone #: 613-525-0049
Alexandria, Ontario
613-525-0049

erykah1310
October 25th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I got that email as well, but have no idea what they want?
I understand they need water, but are they looking for monetary donations for the well or water?
I guess I could call.

badger
October 25th, 2008, 12:42 PM
There's nothing on the website about water problems. Maybe they are too busy to update. :fingerscr they get this sorted before the ground freezes.

poodletalk
October 25th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Yes, they are looking for monetary donations to help dig and build a well. The approx cost is 10K. Right now, they are getting their water from another persons well which is 5KM away.

If you would like to make a donation, you can go to their website and mail them a cheque. http://www.refugerr.org Thanks

amaya
October 26th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Hello,

To Badgers question; Yes I noticed that there is nothing on the website as well. But I received the email as part of the relay of rescue network alerts that comes through from reputable rescues to the rescue I work with. I know that with our rescue, posting to our website is one of the last things that things that happens on a long list of volunteer tasks.

Contacting them directly by email or phone is a good idea.

Unfortunately it's not an unusual thing for wells to go dry in rural areas. Where we live, well drilling costs a minimum of $5000. When a well goes dry, there is no warning.:shrug:

Bina
October 26th, 2008, 10:23 PM
One of my friends recently drilled a new well.....yup--$10,000 was the price.
RR is not too far from me, they are a great rescue.

KarenC
October 26th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I have a friend that just bought a place in St. Andrew's (not too far from Alexandria) and their well just ran dry too. Within a week of them moving in.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for them that they can get this done!:pray:

amaya
October 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM
2nd email alert came in yesterday from:

M.Michelle Nadon
A Cause for Paws - Toronto
Animal Advocacy & Outreach
c4p@mediaintelligence.ca

This was the message:

Le Refuge for Horses: has no water.. Our well has dried up and we have been running for a month and a half to our neighbour's to be able to give water to our over 165 animals that live here at the Rescue. We have spent weeks drilling our old well and there is no water..We had a new well dug and still no water... Now they have to start drilling yet another well even further away .The problem is now that the cost for all this will be over $10 000. WE had a small emergency fundraiser that raised approximately $ 3000. which was already paid out for the some of the work that was done already... The Refuge is asking for help to fund this well for the animals as winter is coming and the neighbours will no longer be able to supply water vital for life. Along with our 33 horses we havecows, pigs, sheep,goats, chickens, geese, ducks, peacocks, pigeons, rabbits, dogs and cats. They all need water!
If anyone can help please send donations to Refuge RR for Horses 21305 Concession 10, RR 2 Alexandria, Ontario K0C 1A0 thank you!

Rose,
www.refugerr.org