Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dogs vs. cat

SyntheticSmile
October 24th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I have two large breed dogs (one is a 2 yr old border collie cross, the other a 7 month old bullmastiff/lab cross). We were hoping to get a kitten really soon, however, is throwing a kitten into the mix just asking for to much trouble? How do you train your dogs not to go after the cat? They're both relatively smart and easy to train, so any advice or tips? Thanx.

Dracko
October 25th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I say get the cat as soon as possible while the youngest dog is still a puppy. And, imo, you should not get a small kitten. Maybe about 4 - 6 months old is best since at that age there is more chance if there is a problem the cat can defend itself.

The only problem (since you say your dogs do listen well) would be if you got a cat that was extremely passive. My Smitty is like that and I got him as he lived on a farm and the dogs were aggressive with him. He would not fight back and would have died. My other cats like Ginkgo, didn't hesitate to put Dracko in his place and use her claws. Doesn't take long for a dog to know what CLAWS feel like.

I will say that getting a kitten that is 4 - 6 months old gives you an idea if it will be afraid of the dogs or not as well. Trust me, it is no fun to have a cat who is petrified of your dogs and you have to create a separate living environment for it. I experienced that with on older cat I had.

jessi76
October 25th, 2008, 08:06 PM
How do you train your dogs not to go after the cat? They're both relatively smart and easy to train, so any advice or tips?

it can be done, but before you embark on such chaos, have your dogs been around cats before? If not, I suggest you teach them proper cat manners as best you can before committing to a cat. If possible, find a friend or relative, preferably with a dog-savvy cat, and practice.... ALOT. start on leash, of course. (by manners, I mean a reliable LEAVE IT, drop it, no chase, etc....)

I only say this because often, folks with GREAT intentions, bring a kitten into the mix and it doesn't work out. it'd be a shame for a kitten to land in a shelter, rescue, or worse (to be injured) because 2 well meaning larger pups got a little too rough.

I do agree w/ Dracko though, an older kitten would be a great idea. OR a dog-savvy young adult cat from a shelter.

SyntheticSmile
October 25th, 2008, 09:30 PM
it can be done, but before you embark on such chaos, have your dogs been around cats before? If not, I suggest you teach them proper cat manners as best you can before committing to a cat. If possible, find a friend or relative, preferably with a dog-savvy cat, and practice.... ALOT. start on leash, of course. (by manners, I mean a reliable LEAVE IT, drop it, no chase, etc....)

I only say this because often, folks with GREAT intentions, bring a kitten into the mix and it doesn't work out. it'd be a shame for a kitten to land in a shelter, rescue, or worse (to be injured) because 2 well meaning larger pups got a little too rough.

I do agree w/ Dracko though, an older kitten would be a great idea. OR a dog-savvy young adult cat from a shelter.

Thanx for the replies. Could you explain to me step-by-step how one would go about teaching your dog "cat manners" as you put it (if possible)?

Um, here's the kicker, we acquired a little fuzz ball last night. I did not anticipate getting one this soon! A friends mama cat had some problem that needed surgery to correct, so she needed to get rid of the kittens before the mama came back from the vets. When she offered me this little guy I couldn't say no! He is only 7 weeks old, which I now realize is much to young (again, i got him last night before anybody had replied to this thread or other threads I had posted on other pet forums I am part of). Right now we have his litter box and food in the bathroom off the master bedroom, which is off limits from the dogs to begin with. During the day we are alternating "house time" between the dogs and cat. We have a covered porch (its the dogs room anyways) with glass sliding doors so that while the kitten is running loose in the house they can kind of interact through the glass. Then we'll put the kitten in our room (with the bathroom), close the door and let the dogs run around the house. At night the dogs have full run of the house except for our room and the cats bathroom. Needless to say, we will be taking the introduction stage VERY VERY slowly - especially since hes so young. They won't be in the same room together (unless my fiancee has them restrained and probably muzzled to be on the safe side) until he is old enough to defend himself like you guys mentioned before. Is there anything else I should be doing here?

jessi76
October 27th, 2008, 08:58 AM
if you search this forum you will find MANY threads with advice on this topic.

first and foremost - NEVER, and I really do mean NEVER, allow either dog to chase the cat. chasing leads to injury (your dogs can crush a 7wk old kitten, likewise, a kitten's sharp claws can do a nasty number on a dog's eye, so for all involved, no chasing, roughhousing, playing, etc...).

do not allow the dogs access to the kitten unsupervised - not for a good long time. Be sure kitten has a dog-free zone at all times to eat and use the litter box in peace.

good luck - do search the board for advice, I'm sure you'll find it.

I have 2 cats, 1 dog. "cat manners" in my house include NO chasing, NO barking at, having a reliable LEAVE IT, and my dog knows the cats are higher up in the pack than he is.