Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crazy dog lady needs cat help--seriously...

Pages : [1] 2

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 04:32 PM
The dogs treed a kitty.

After 30 minutes of dog wrangling I finally got the nudniks inside and went back out, expecting said kitty to hi-tail it out of the area. Nope. Cat jumped down, came right to me, and when I wouldn't pick him up, he climbed (very carefully, which I appreciated highly :D) up my leg till he could get to my arms. He puuuurrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

OMG, I love this kitty!! I wish I could keep him!!! :cry:

He's about 4-6 months, I think...green (not blue) eyes...old enough to be on his own. Seems well-fed and not all that put off by the dogs. Loves people. Gray...looks like Monsieur le chat or Paddy! (Frenchy, do you want another one? :o)

43315 43316

There's a spot opening up at the Clark County Humane Society tomorrow at 1, so he'll stay overnight. That's where I need the help.

He's out in the shed (heated inside, though right now he's happy as a clam sitting on a chair on the porch :D). We have a small pet porter for him to sleep in tonight. I put an old dish pan with dirt in it for a litter box out there. He has some fresh water and I broke up some Innova dog food in a bowl for him. He has towels to snuggle into and a paper shopping bag to play in.

Anything else I should do for him till tomorrow?

I think it's a boy...but what does hazel know about cats. :shrug: I tried to take a picture of his rear, but he's shy about having that end photographed! :laughing:

Winston
October 24th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hazel what a beauty! too bad you cant keep him..I think you have it all covered? til tomorrow anyway...looks like he has some goop in his eye so make sure you clean up well...poor boy! GOD he could be Monseur le Chats twin brother!

Cant imagine what he was thinking with all the dogs down below!! :eek:

dogcatharmony
October 24th, 2008, 04:39 PM
oh goodness he is gorgeous. Are you sure you couldn't squeeze a kitty into your house hold...LOL.

As for the dog food....well I wouldn't feed kitty dog food because its' not made for what kitty needs nutritionally......but it's for overnight. He may not be interested in it anyway......my two avoid dog food like the plague. Do you have any meat you could give him....maybe some tuna, chicken???

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 04:41 PM
:thankyou: for answering my panicky cry!!!!! :eek:

I have tuna packed in water? Would that be okay to give him?

phoozles
October 24th, 2008, 04:42 PM
The tuna would be perfect for him! What a sweetie :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Do I just use water to clean his eye, Winston? His eyes look pretty good...doesn't seem to have a runny nose, either.

Anyone know if I have to be careful of anything a possibly unvaccinated cat might transmit to the dogs? Can they catch anything off my clothes?

This little guy loves sitting on my shoulder and rubbing against my hair and face! :cry: I'm already hooked. :yell:

But common sense is telling me that the dogs would have something to say about that. :o

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Our closest neighbors are more than a quarter mile away. The other neighbor is more than half a mile away. I've called them both and left messages. Think I should put up posters, or do you think someone might have just dumped him? :cry: How could anyone do that to this little sweetheart!? :yell: Especially near a house with 8 dogs, for cryin' out loud!?? :frustrated:

dogcatharmony
October 24th, 2008, 04:48 PM
:thumbs up Oh and I must say that for being a dog lady......you picked the perfect cat toy for him. A paper bag........best cat toy money could buy. Second being an empty cardboard box.

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 04:50 PM
The bag was a suggestion from a friend. I made a panicky call...and caught her in the dentist's chair... :o

I'm such a pest! :laughing:

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Hmmmm...this can looks pretty big for such a little guy....how much of a 6 oz can of tuna should I put out for him?

TeriM
October 24th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I'd put no more then half the can now and maybe the other half later.

He is very handsome :lovestruck:.

dogcatharmony
October 24th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I think the only thing I would be worried about is fleas. But I really don't know much about what other diseases can be passed on....*reminds myself to get knowledge on this because I do pet outdoor kitties.....but all mine are vetted*

I would put down half a can, he may wolf a whole can and be sick. If he eats it all you could put down the rest of the can later tonight. Cats like to have many small meals through out the day. Mine eat 8 or 9 times a day, just little nibbles here and there.

I was just thinking about the dirt in the litterbox. Hopefully he is an experienced out side kitty and knows what to do. I know once a long time ago I got in a pinch for litter....(laziness on my part, missed the store) and I put some shredded paper in and my cats used that for overnight.:shrug:

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 05:02 PM
:thankyou: Teri!

I don't know why I feel so panicky... :o I guess cuz the little guy risked his life to come into the yard and get treed... Thank Dawg the Pack didn't catch him! :eek:

I'm gonna go give him the tuna now. I'll likely come back with more pictures and you all wanted more, didn't you? :D that hazel...camera happy! :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Like shredded newspaper, dogcatharmony? Or do you have to worry about toxicity in the ink?

dogcatharmony
October 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I used shredded newspaper because I was in a pinch, and it was just overnight....they only used the box once each anyways. Long term I would say, no not to use it. But for now I really wouldn't worry. He may not even use the box being in unfamilar surroundings anyway......he may just do his business in a corner....so make sure you have nothing of value that you don't want soiled on.

Smiley14
October 24th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Oh Hazel, she's so pretty! :lovestruck: Poor little kitty! I guess I should say he/she, LOL! Shredded newspaper and tuna are just fine for one night. :thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
October 24th, 2008, 07:56 PM
distemper can be caught from one strand of animal hair and rabies from salvia, maybe pee from the cat.

Your dogs all have their shots though I'm sure. That's all that I can think of.

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Kitty is sick :sad:

Sneezing; doesn't seem feverish, though. The one eye is weepy just a tad; but he's keeping his nose clean by licking it after he sneezes. Still hasn't eaten--just sleeps (the only time he's not purring up a storm).

He's in the shed and I cranked up the heat, but that will only put it at about 50 (we're supposed to be in the 30s tonight). So I packed the carrier with towels enough to keep him warm and put it + kitty + 'litter box' + food and water + the chair he's taken a shining to into one of the inside dog runs (It's about 4 x 6 feet in area and 6 feet tall...he's a climber, though...if he were feeling inclined, I think he'd climb right out :shrug:)

Do you think 50, snuggled up in towels, will keep him warm enough? Given that he's sick? Poor guy--last night it was about down to freezing and then he was out in the rain all day today! :yell: No wonder he's sick. :cry:

I sat out with him till the shed warmed up--he cuddled nicely inside my fleece vest on my chest :cloud9:--and fell asleep. When I brought him into the run, he climbed right up on the chair and nestled into the towels there. Seemed comfy, so I left him and turned out the light. I'll check him again in an hour or so unless you think I should check him more frequently?

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 08:06 PM
distemper can be caught from one strand of animal hair and rabies from salvia, maybe pee from the cat.

Your dogs all have their shots though I'm sure. That's all that I can think of.

Yep...all vaccinated. I sure hope kitty doesn't have anything serious. He's such a love bug. :sad: I'm so grateful he's here now, though--it's going to be cold again tonight with more rain predicted for tomorrow!

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Just a few more pics of our little visitor:

And all curled up:

Isn't he just a doll? :flirt: It's hard to get pictures of him because when I get close to him, he insists on cuddling. :cloud9:

rainbow
October 24th, 2008, 08:25 PM
He/she is very purrty. :lovestruck: I'm sureit will be warm enough with the towels to cuddle in. He/she is going to need some antibiotics though.

Did you hear from your neighbours? I hope it belongs to one of them. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

dogcatharmony
October 24th, 2008, 08:29 PM
He is just so handsome. And you are so kind in putting him up for the night.

I wouldn't worry about the temp, it's warmer than what he was out in. He's got lots to snuggle into, he'll keep himself warm enough. I know two years ago my furnace broke in late October and I had to wait almost two weeks for a new one to be installed....my kitties just curled up in the blankets, the temp in the house was 49 degrees, one morning it was 43 degrees.

And check on him when ever you want to , I be he sure loves the snuggles.

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Haven't heard from the neighbors yet. Probably won't. I don't think anyone around here will claim him. :sad: I just have this feeling he's been dumped.

There was a tick between his shoulder blades, maybe 36-48 hours engorged. So he's probably been out at least that long. If he were out longer than that, I'd expect a lot more ticks, unless cats can groom them out better than dogs can?

There's a spot at the shelter opening up tomorrow afternoon so he'll have vet care, then. I hope it's soon enough. :fingerscr We have antibiotics here, but I wouldn't know what to give or how much. :shrug:

Frenchy
October 24th, 2008, 08:31 PM
omg , you're right , looks just like Monsieur le chat but with greener eyes :lovestruck:

A cat at Hazel's :laughing: they sure have a way to find people that they know , will take care of them. :angel:

The towels might keep the humidity ? But it's just for one night so I wouldn't worry about that. I think he needs to rest and then he will probably eat. Sounds like he's exhausted and right now he's in heaven and feels secure to stop and sleep for a while. He has everything he needs , you don't have to check up on him too often , I'm sure he's :sleepy: for a while.

So what did the dogs do ? :p

Frenchy
October 24th, 2008, 08:33 PM
The towels might keep the humidity ?

oups , I read too fast , if there's heat in there , no worry ! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 08:33 PM
And check on him when ever you want to , I be he sure loves the snuggles.

He absolutely eats up the snuggles...but I'm a sucker for cuddling....I'm already way too attached. :o

He's sleeping so soundly, though--first time I went in there I thought he was dead! :eek: I had to touch the little guy to wake him up. He must be exhausted.

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Oy! Auntie Frenchy, the dogs went bejork!!! You should have seen the leaps up the tree trunk! :eek: I think Cass was making it up 10 feet!!! Kitty just laughed down at them. :D

I think Grace may know cats, though. She was the only one not crazed into complete mania. She kept jumping on the other dogs as if to say, "Knock it off!! It's just a cat you nudniks!!!" :laughing:

clm
October 24th, 2008, 08:41 PM
He's adorable Hazel. It does sound like he's been dumped and mighty happy to have found you. I wouldn't worry too much about the sneezing and the weepy eyes unless you see the gunk has a greenish colour to it. He's likely just having a little trouble adjusting to the cooler weather. As long as he's eating and drinking he's fine.
If you can't keep him yourself, and I totally understand if the pack is not used to cats it would be a huge training effort, then I hope you can find him a wonderful home. You gotta love that face and the fact that he's such a love bug is something a lot of people look for in a kitty.

Cindy

14+kitties
October 24th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Hazel - 50 is fine. But, if you are really worried about the warmth and you have straw available, then give him a bunch of it. It is the absolute best thing for kitties to snuggle down in. They can snuggle down until the straw is around them and it acts as an insulator.

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Rats, Geri! No straw :sad: But I did provide him with about a dozen of the old towels we use for the dogs. :D He likes snuggling in towels on that chair...for some reason he just loves the chair.

Cindy...I wish he were eating and drinking...but from what I've seen he's totally uninterested. :sad: I even put a little between my lips hoping he'd get interested, but he just doesn't seem hungry. It's worrisome.

ancientgirl
October 24th, 2008, 08:52 PM
OMG Hazel, he's beautiful!!!!

Oh I wish I could have him. :sad: I've been threatened with a padded room if I got another one though.

How wonderful you were able to help him. You know, I give my gang tuna as a treat maybe once a month. I run it under the water so it washes away some of the sodium, but I usually give them each about 3 tblsp. They LOVE it.

It's too bad you can't keep him.

14+kitties
October 24th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Ok, so if you have dry leaves. :shrug: Probably not if it's been raining so much.
The towels are fine for him. I agree with Cindy. The sniffles are from temp change. If he is going to a shelter tomorrow he is fine. You worry too much my dear. :p If you are really concerned put a towel over him. He will snuggle deeper. Kitties are pretty good at adjusting.

clm
October 24th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I don't know what you feed your dogs, and no cats should not be fed a steady diet of dog food, but you could try some of that. If it's kibble try it both dry and moistened. He may have been used to a dry diet and that's what he's looking for. If you use canned you could give it a try too.
I've never had a cat refuse a bit of cooked chicken, doesn't matter, breast or thigh, break it up into fine bits, if it's a touch warm and has that great chicken smell and a little of the chicken fat even better.

Cindy

Frenchy
October 24th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Oy! Auntie Frenchy, the dogs went bejork!!! You should have seen the leaps up the tree trunk! :eek: I think Cass was making it up 10 feet!!! Kitty just laughed down at them. :D

I think Grace may know cats, though. She was the only one not crazed into complete mania. She kept jumping on the other dogs as if to say, "Knock it off!! It's just a cat you nudniks!!!" :laughing:
Good kitty ! And good girl Grace ! :thumbs up

Cindy...I wish he were eating and drinking...but from what I've seen he's totally uninterested. :sad: I even put a little between my lips hoping he'd get interested, but he just doesn't seem hungry. It's worrisome.

If he's been lost for a couple of days , maybe right now he's too exhausted and just wants to sleep. Don't worry Hazel , he will be ok until tomorrow.

clm
October 24th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Frenchy is right, he's likely exhausted and is quite happy having a nice sound sleep. :sleepy:

Cindy

Love4himies
October 24th, 2008, 09:51 PM
There's a kitty invading Setter City :eek: :cloud9: :lovestruck:. Sounds like you have everything under control. This kitty is definitely not feral, wonder if he wondered away from his owners, or was dropped off.

I am having computer difficulties (freezing all the time) so I can't read all the posts.
:frustrated::mad:

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 10:31 PM
OMG Hazel, he's beautiful!!!!

Oh I wish I could have him. :sad: I've been threatened with a padded room if I got another one though.

How wonderful you were able to help him. You know, I give my gang tuna as a treat maybe once a month. I run it under the water so it washes away some of the sodium, but I usually give them each about 3 tblsp. They LOVE it.

It's too bad you can't keep him.

I already have three padded rooms in various facilities around the state! :laughing:

I wish I could keep him, too. I love cuddling with him. The only time he isn't purring is when he's sleeping.

Last time out, I heard a wolf howling just south of us. I'm glad Kitty is here...I worry that there might be siblings out there somewhere. :sad:

There's a kitty invading Setter City :eek: :cloud9: :lovestruck:. Sounds like you have everything under control. This kitty is definitely not feral, wonder if he wondered away from his owners, or was dropped off.

Our hunch is that he was dumped. I just talked to some friends about a mile from here, closer to the campground. They tell me they get wandering cats and dogs in the yard all the time--people bring them to the campground and leave them there when they go home. :sad: That's absolutely unfathomable to me. :frustrated: There was a red Aussie running around last summer that was also dumped at the campground. For weeks she went back to look for her people...we finally caught her and she was just a real sweetie. Who would dump such a cool dog? :sad:

kathryn
October 24th, 2008, 10:39 PM
WANT NOW PLZ.

Fedex to me!!! !!!! :thumbs up He looks like my pookie!! (Maxwell) WANT!!!!! Address: 222 Crazy Cat Lady Lane, New Jersey

want4rain
October 24th, 2008, 10:40 PM
im with the rest fof the most part although i dont agree with the popular opinion about dog food. its better than tuna nutritionally, by a long shot!! (no offense anyone!!!) if you are worried about a perfectly balanced meal for the night, toss some canned clam or muscle of some sort in there. shrimp should work. the only real thing (other than lower protein content) thats lacking in dog food is taurine (typically).

also if you can get some humidity in there for his runny nose and eyes?? i wouldnt bother cleaning him up before the shelter tomorrow. if he has a URI, he might not want to be with the other cats until he has been on antibiotics for a few days. if you wash it off, they might not treat him until he has been exposed to the other cats.... although most shelters have URI's running around anyway. :)

sounds like you are doing a wonderful job Setter Queen!!!

-ashley

Frenchy
October 24th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Many people think by dumping their pets in the country , farmers will take care of them :frustrated: or they just don't care. and leave them there so they won't have to deal with dumping their dogs at the shelter :frustrated:

Bailey was a dumpy. :sad:

luckypenny
October 24th, 2008, 10:53 PM
How long do you think it would take to de-sensitize all the dogs to having a kitty join the pack? How hard could it be :shrug:....you, Hazel, Madame Hazel, and TDFO can easily handle two dogs each and dh can hold on to the kitty while the dogs learn that he/she is a new member.

:D

Great job taking care of the kitty HRP :2huggers:. I'm so glad he ended up your tree :thumbs up.

Love4himies
October 24th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Our hunch is that he was dumped. I just talked to some friends about a mile from here, closer to the campground. They tell me they get wandering cats and dogs in the yard all the time--people bring them to the campground and leave them there when they go home. :sad: That's absolutely unfathomable to me. :frustrated: There was a red Aussie running around last summer that was also dumped at the campground. For weeks she went back to look for her people...we finally caught her and she was just a real sweetie. Who would dump such a cool dog? :sad:

Our property backs onto a campground and I see cats come into our yard many times. Very sad :sad:

want4rain
October 24th, 2008, 10:57 PM
(BTW at that age, boys have pretty big balls.... two of them!!! you can see them right under the anus. :o)

give him a big smoochies!!!

-ashley

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 11:05 PM
He won't even sniff the dog food, W4R. He at least sniffed the tuna, but still hasn't eaten. I'm hoping he'll wake up famished tomorrow. The shelter will have species appropriate food :fingerscr

Man I wish I could keep him, but Cass and Cole are looking for recipes even as I type...and Brier would be happy eating the little tyke raw... :frustrated:
Grace, Ember, Lil Belle and maybe Ridge wouldn't take long to accept a cat, though. Macie is so darn proud of her self for treeing that Treacherous Kitty in the first place :rolleyes: She'd keep him in shape chasing him around...not sure what she'd do if she caught him.

Cerberus would love to have a kitty to help with the housework. :laughing: so would hazel...specially a sweet little cuddlin' kitteh like this one :cloud9:

Frenchy, I emailed the guy that has the cabin behind us and he suggested I just take the kitty down to his wood pile--"Plenty of mice to keep a kitten fed down there!" :eek: No way!! :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 11:07 PM
(BTW at that age, boys have pretty big balls.... two of them!!! you can see them right under the anus. :o)

give him a big smoochies!!!

-ashley

There are two flat pad thingies there... :o :shrug: hey, I'm a dog person! What can I say? :laughing:

Frenchy
October 24th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Man I wish I could keep him, but Cass and Cole are looking for recipes even as I type...

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Frenchy, I emailed the guy that has the cabin behind us and he suggested I just take the kitty down to his wood pile--"Plenty of mice to keep a kitten fed down there!" :eek: No way!! :frustrated:

:frustrated: and let the kitty freeze to death this winter ? :yell:

With 8 dogs , there's no way you could keep him even if all the pack was ok with cats. Pack behavior .... you know , one would run after kitty , the others would follow ... and then anarchy :sad:

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 11:12 PM
:frustrated: and let the kitty freeze to death this winter ? :yell:

With 8 dogs , there's no way you could keep him even if all the pack was ok with cats. Pack behavior .... you know , one would run after kitty , the others would follow ... and then anarchy :sad:

More like a lynching... :eek:

Yeah, they're pretty motivated when it comes to a chase. A cat would have no chance...which is why madame hazel keeps slapping hazel upside the head saying "snap out of it, woman!! What are you thinking?!" :o

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Oh, and doesn anyone know if kitties can get tick-borne diseases? I found a tick between his shoulder blades...it was about 36-48 hours bloated (at least if it were on a dog, that's how long it would have been on). That's long enough to transmit Lyme's, anaplasmosis and the ehrlichias in dogs and humans. :eek: Should I mention it at the shelter tomorrow?

He sure was happy to have it removed and his shoulder blades scratched afterward :cloud9: I got tons of puuuurrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzz for that! :thumbs up

luckypenny
October 24th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I can't tell you much about kitties but when I was a little girl, we had five on our farm. None of them ever got ill and they were never vaccinated either :shrug:. Don't get mad please, I was just a kid :o.

Maybe there were no ticks in the area I grew up in? I think they'll know exactly what to look out for at the shelter tomorrow.

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I'll maybe write a note to send with hubby. hazel isn't allowed to drive kitteh to the shelter tomorrow...she's too easily talked into things... :o

Frenchy
October 24th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I can't tell you much about kitties but when I was a little girl, we had five on our farm. None of them ever got ill and they were never vaccinated either :shrug:. Don't get mad please, I was just a kid :o.

They never got sick because they didn't have a bunch of chemicals in their bodies like we do our pets today. :sad:

Hazel , I would tell the shelter. Are they a no kill shelter ?

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Hazel , I would tell the shelter. Are they a no kill shelter ?

Yes. I wouldn't send him there otherwise. If the cat kennel doesn't open up for some reason as expected tomorrow, there's another no kill shelter in an adjacent county that I'll try.

14+kitties
October 24th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Oh, and doesn anyone know if kitties can get tick-borne diseases? I found a tick between his shoulder blades...it was about 36-48 hours bloated (at least if it were on a dog, that's how long it would have been on). That's long enough to transmit Lyme's, anaplasmosis and the ehrlichias in dogs and humans. :eek: Should I mention it at the shelter tomorrow?

He sure was happy to have it removed and his shoulder blades scratched afterward :cloud9: I got tons of puuuurrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzz for that! :thumbs up

I think kitties can get lyme disease just like pups can. You may want to mention it to the shelter tomorrow so they can check.

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 11:50 PM
If the shelter weren't 65+ miles from our vet, I'd have him checked out before hubby drops him off... :frustrated: I wonder how often they get a vet in to check the newbies? Will they have to keep him isolated till they check him out? :sad:

luckypenny
October 24th, 2008, 11:50 PM
If neither shelter has room, can you try a vet? Ours will help every now and then if there's space available. I used to pay half the fees but now they treat the kitties for free and put them up for adoption in their clinic.

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Might be worth a shot to try the vet...but I've never seen an animal up for adoption at any vets in WI. :shrug: Not sure if they're prohibited from doing it or if they just don't do it as a matter of course. I was really surprised when I joined pets.ca and read that many vets in Canada seem to do it.

Maybe now would be a good time to put a bug in their ear. :D

14+kitties
October 25th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Might be worth a shot to try the vet...but I've never seen an animal up for adoption at any vets in WI. :shrug: Not sure if they're prohibited from doing it or if they just don't do it as a matter of course. I was really surprised when I joined pets.ca and read that many vets in Canada seem to do it.

Maybe now would be a good time to put a bug in their ear. :D

Just as long as it's not a tick. :D

hazelrunpack
October 25th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Just as long as it's not a tick. :D

Oh, no... I love ticks...keep them all for myself! :cloud9: :laughing:

Actually, I 'spect they see a fair share of ticks already... :D

growler~GateKeeper
October 25th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Wow! I log on & what do I see.......Hazel's got herself a kitteh :cloud9::lovestruck:

Excellant job on the rescue, the accomodations & the meal :highfive:

Little guy's probably more tired than hungry right now :sleepy:. He's got a wonderful attitude to put up w/8 dogs & come down on his own for cuddles :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
October 25th, 2008, 12:40 AM
And he came down with such grace and style! He climbed down to the lowest tier of branches on the red pine, then walked out to the very end of one of the branches. His weight bent it down and by the time he got to the very tip, it was dipping to within a meter of the ground. He just leaped gracefully to the grass from there. Just like he'd been doing it for years! :thumbs up I was impressed! :D

Tundra_Queen
October 25th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Hazel, he might eat when he destresses a bit more. You said he was in good shape didn't u, like not skinny?

Maybe he got out of the house and doesn't know how to get back. That happened to a friend's neighbour's cat. He was gone all summer, indoor cat, and he was only a couple of streets away living in someone's garage. He just didn't know how to get back home.

Maybe u should put up flyers? he sure is a pretty boy and I hope he will be ok.

Debbie

hazelrunpack
October 25th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I can feel his ribs, but not excessively so...not a lot of meat on him, but he's not been starved.

I'm going to make a poster tomorrow morning and put it up at the tavern down by the lake. It's really the only place where people gather around here. :shrug: I doubt anyone will claim him, but I'll post it anyway, and let them know the shelter has him.

Our nearest neighbor is at least a quarter mile away on the other side of a 20 acre wetland...not sure if he would have come that far through the woods or not if he'd gotten out accidently. Any idea how far they're likely to roam?

Dracko
October 25th, 2008, 01:41 AM
I think you should give it a try and see what the dogs would do. :o He seems like he might have the tempermant to be able to deal with that many dogs. He sounds like my Smitty. Smitty is so lovable and loves everyone. You have to admit it would be pretty cool to ad a cat to your pack. Make for nice pictures for all of us anyway. :p

hazelrunpack
October 25th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I think you should give it a try and see what the dogs would do. :o He seems like he might have the tempermant to be able to deal with that many dogs. He sounds like my Smitty. Smitty is so lovable and loves everyone. You have to admit it would be pretty cool to ad a cat to your pack. Make for nice pictures for all of us anyway. :p

One-on-one I think he might be able to hold his own. But with the Pack, I'd be very very afraid for his life! :eek:

I'm amazed at how calm he is when they make noise, though. Doesn't even wake him up when all 8 are barking next to the shed! :cloud9: I have to believe that he's met dogs before. In fact, I sort of wonder if he came into the yard cuz he saw the dogs and was lonely for companionship. :o I'm just glad he's a fast climber! :eek:

hazelrunpack
October 25th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Kitteh still hasn't eaten but looked brighter this morning. I didn't have to nudge him to wake him up. :D But he's sneezing a lot and then he sort of hunkered down and was either coughing or trying to hark up a hair ball :shrug: I couldn't really tell which it was. :o

He's still friendly as ever and looks like he's in the mood to explore. He went into the carrier, for instance. I have this feeling he's going to use it for a litter box. :rolleyes: But that's okay...I'd be happy to find evidence of potty and/or poopy.

Gotta feed the dogs and then go get me my kitteh-cuddles for the morning. I'll try to get some more pics, too. I want to get a good one for the poster I'm going to make. And a couple of dozen or so for my memory book. :o

Longblades
October 25th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I'm just tuning in but it is a lovely looking cat and likely a strayed or dumped pet if it is so friendly. Those flat, paddle looking things at the back end might be testes that are not quite dried up and gone yet, post neuter. The most exact way to check is look for a penis.

Yes, cats can get Lyme Disease. I think there is a sticky here on this board somewhere.

It is very dangerous for cats to not eat. Sounds like it's only been one day but, unlike dogs, when cats don't eat their bodies begin to store fat and they can get fatty liver disease. One day is not a big concern but it can't go on for too long, the not eating. They need water too of course.

A large part of a cat's attraction to food is smell. If the cat is sneeezing he may not be able to smell the food very well and thus find it not attractive. Warming up the food a bit may help enhance the smell of it.

To entice him to eat, are you offering only tiny wee bits of food? The canned tuna is great as it will also get some moisture into him. But only offer a tiny bit. A quarter of a teaspoon. Have you ever had the flu yourself? A whole big plate of food is nauseating but tiny bits to nibble on you can usually tolerate. Sick animals are the same. At this point I would say it doesn't matter what the food is as long as he will eat a bit of something. Cheese, peanut butter, canned whole meat baby food is good. I once kept a cat alive by feeding her what probably was less that an eighth of a teaspoon at a time ( many times) and she would only lick it off my finger.

Your cat wants to explore, a sign he can't be feeling too badly, so that's encouraging.

Hope you find his home. Or a home. Maybe with visiting rights for you?

krdahmer
October 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Hazel and the pack have saved a kitty!!! :eek: Man did he pick the right tree or what? ;)

I hope he finds a great home after he's nursed back to health at the shelter! And great job Hazel!:thumbs up He is adorable!:lovestruck:

badger
October 25th, 2008, 11:59 AM
The coughing kind of worries me, might mean a URI and not just rhino, in which case would the shelter take him (they would need to isolate)? If you can get Clavamox or something similar from the vet, might be a good idea.
He's gorgeous! I love the greys. And the blacks. And the torties. And the...

hazelrunpack
October 25th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I've tried offering small bits of tuna, Longblades...he won't even sniff. :sad: Makes sense, though, what you said about the smell. Are there any good smell enhancer/appetite stimulants for cats?

Kitteh did get a good drink this morning! :thumbs up

I also found a full-blown tick on him...so he's been out for probably at least a week. He has one more tick under his chin that I can't remove--he's so busy cuddling with his head in my chest that I can't get a good grip on the tick. :frustrated:

The coughing is worrisome. :sad: If the shelter won't take him, I'll bring him back...but the vet won't be available then till Monday. Would that be soon enough for him if he has a URI? Thank Dawg he didn't have to spend last night outside :pray:

I love the grays, too, badger...and the blacks and the torties and the calicos.... :laughing: But right now, the grays are my favorites. :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
October 25th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks, kr! :grouphug: He's not even mine and I'm already worrying about whether his new people will be good to him. :rolleyes: madame hazel is such a worrier :o

Longblades
October 25th, 2008, 01:32 PM
We've had to force feed a couple of sick cats. Mix up a slurry of wettish food, load up a syringe and squirt it down their gullets. Tricky because you sure don't want to squirt it down the windpipe. I've never done it without the Vet telling me to. It is positively amazing how a cat near death's door can fight when it sees you coming the second time around with that syringe. Not fun.

But YAY for the drinking.

There's no telling what he has and how soon you need to see the Vet until you see the Vet. Unfortunately. The symptoms you describe could be any number of things. Hope the shelter takes him.

Love4himies
October 25th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Sardines may be a better bet than tuna, the oil mixed with the meat will have much more calories than tuna, and if the cat has an URI, they usually tend to eat sardines before tuna.
I also find they like wild game before domesticated, if you have any in your freezer and can nip a piece off you may want to warm it up slightly and try kitty with that.

Cats can be affected by lyme's disease, but it normally very mild, not nearly what you see in a dog or human. Deer ticks are running rampant here and Lyme disease right along with them :evil:. Jasper has had dozens of ticks taken off him and the vet doesn't worry about it.

The cough is of concern and the kitty may need antibiotics, poor thing :sad:

An un-neutered male cat is very, very noticable :o, hazelnut size, versus peanut size for un-neutered.

Love4himies
October 25th, 2008, 01:39 PM
We've had to force feed a couple of sick cats. Mix up a slurry of wettish food, load up a syringe and squirt it down their gullets. Tricky because you sure don't want to squirt it down the windpipe. I've never done it without the Vet telling me to. It is positively amazing how a cat near death's door can fight when it sees you coming the second time around with that syringe. Not fun.

But YAY for the drinking.

There's no telling what he has and how soon you need to see the Vet until you see the Vet. Unfortunately. The symptoms you describe could be any number of things. Hope the shelter takes him.

I have done this with EVERY sick kitten and I find they are pretty accepting of the food. I use 50% water. All lumps have to be taken out of the food or they get stuck in the skinny part of the syringe. When a piece gets stuck, I use a pin to pull the small chunk out.

14+kitties
October 25th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Well? Has kitty been accepted at the shelter or is he back home with you? I hope he gets the medical attention he needs. He probably didn't eat because he couldn't smell the food and/or he had a full tummy from hunting. Although that doesn't stop my piggy Stormy. :rolleyes: And not feeling well could do it too. Let's hope he doesn't have anything serious and recovers quickly!! :fingerscr
Hazel......you are an :angel: :thumbs up

MommaKat
October 25th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Maybe if you begged and pleaded with the pack, they will let you keep him? Maybe ask Gracie to talk to the others for you? :crazy:

Good job for saving the kitty :thumbs up ! If he goes to the shelter, I hope he finds a home quickly :goodvibes: :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
October 25th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Luckily, I didn't need to force feed him. The last time I checked on him before we took him to the shelter, he had abandoned his chair to sleep in the carrier and eaten 2/3 of half the can of tuna. :highfive:

Well? Has kitty been accepted at the shelter or is he back home with you? I hope he gets the medical attention he needs. He probably didn't eat because he couldn't smell the food and/or he had a full tummy from hunting. Although that doesn't stop my piggy Stormy. And not feeling well could do it too. Let's hope he doesn't have anything serious and recovers quickly!!
Hazel......you are an :angel: :thumbs up

Yep, he's there. :sad: I cried. The director of the shelter came in to meet Kitty and asked if I was the town supervisor who had called. Yep...tears coming down. Real authoritative! :o

Not a problem with care--he'll get his blood tested, vaccinations, and something for his URI this afternoon sometime. They had no problem with taking him in even though he was sick.

Maybe if you begged and pleaded with the pack, they will let you keep him? Maybe ask Gracie to talk to the others for you? :crazy:

Good job for saving the kitty :thumbs up ! If he goes to the shelter, I hope he finds a home quickly

I so wish I could just drive back and get him. :sad: They told me I could get an update on Monday--they should have the results back by then.

What broke my heart was that when the take-in lady took him from me, he stopped purring. It was the only time I'd ever seen him awake when he wasn't purring... :cry:

This is how we spent most of our time together...notice the silly smile on hazel's face :o

43376 43377

hazelrunpack
October 25th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Just two more.

Reading together last night:

Kitty quarters. He spent most of the night on that chair snuggled in towels, then curled up in the carrier later this morning.

Jeez. I feel like someone just died... :cry: I don't know how you fosters can do it. :sad:

Love4himies
October 25th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Awww, Hazel, you did a wonderful rescue :grouphug:. Kitty is in good hands and will get the vet care he needs.

Now the hard part is to make the pack understand where kitty went when they ask about him.

hazelrunpack
October 25th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Now the hard part is to make the pack understand where kitty went when they ask about him.

The first thing the little :evil:s did this morning when they were finally let back into the Big Yard (where the kennel bldg/kitty quarters were) was run over to the tree in the corner to check for more kitties! :rolleyes: Always on the prowl, those :dog:s!

dogcatharmony
October 25th, 2008, 05:47 PM
:grouphug: funny how they can win your heart over so fast, eh??

:highfive: you did a wonderful thing, kitty is in good hands now.

badger
October 25th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Oh those snuggling pictures...so sweet, I can see how you had a hard time letting him go. But, you know, he's probably not gonna be adopted right away, so you have time to think about it ;)

Chris21711
October 25th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Aww Hazel what a pity you could not have kept him. My Herbie is just like him only lots bigger. The first cat we got, we brought into a 5 dog household, think about it. No I know you already did, you took lovely care of him and I know you will be checking on him and keeping an eye. :grouphug:

ancientgirl
October 25th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Hazel, he's so handsome. I'm sure he'll find a wonderful home soon. It's great that the shelter will take him in and treat him.

Love4himies
October 25th, 2008, 07:03 PM
He is very lovable, he won't last too long at the shelter once he is put up for adoption.

clm
October 25th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Awe Hazel, I'm sure it was hard to part with him, but I'm sure he'll get good home soon. He'll get the vet care he needs and will be right as rain.
I hope they have good news for you on his health on Monday.

Cindy

Frenchy
October 25th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Yep, he's there. :sad: I cried.

:laughing: Hazel ! :grouphug:

I think he's going to get adopted real fast , look how cute and affectionate he is. :cloud9:

But he does look good in your arms ;)

hazelrunpack
October 25th, 2008, 08:24 PM
:thankyou: for all the help and support. Couldn't have done it without all your help. A group effort. :highfive:

But hazel is still crying. We told her not to, but she's not listening... :o

Grace came up to hazel a little while ago and laid her head in hazel's lap. Then I heard her whisper..."It's okay, Mom, we'll find you another one." :eek: :rolleyes: Ah, well...it's the thought that counts. :o

Chris...how did you manage an introduction of a cat into a 5-dog household? :eek:

dogcatharmony, hazel was doomed after the first 20 seconds... :o Gotta get animals away from her quick or they stick. :D

hazelrunpack
October 25th, 2008, 08:25 PM
But he does look good in your arms ;)

Doesn't he, though? :cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper
October 25th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Such sweet snuggly pics Hazel :grouphug:

Wonderful job on the rescue :thumbs up :cat::angel2: HRM :highfive:

hazelrunpack
October 25th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks, growler. :o We're not crying so much anymore. :o

It's going to get very cold tonight--low 20s! I'm so glad he's somewhere warm!

Frenchy
October 25th, 2008, 11:07 PM
It's going to get very cold tonight--low 20s! I'm so glad he's somewhere warm!

All thanks to you :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
October 25th, 2008, 11:11 PM
All thanks to the scarily vigilant Pack! :D They're very proud. :dog:

14+kitties
October 25th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Awwww hazel :grouphug: You did something very very special. You saved this little one so he can now find his forever home. He is such a sweetheart I have no doubt he will find one very soon. You are his :angel:

hazelrunpack
October 25th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I wish I was his Mommy! :frustrated: :laughing:

But I'll settle for :angel:, I guess... Do you have to dust halos? Cuz I hate dusting... :o :p

14+kitties
October 25th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Your halo can get a little tarnished now and then. I know with all that setter spittle you won't be able to keep it shiny and new all the time. Allttthhhooouugghhhhhhh...... setter spittle has been known to have some pretttttyyy mean cleaning agents..... :rolleyes:

Frenchy
October 25th, 2008, 11:27 PM
But I'll settle for :angel:, I guess... Do you have to dust halos? Cuz I hate dusting... :o :p

But you can use your new foster Cebercus (is that his name :o) to clean the halo :D

hazelrunpack
October 25th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Oh, that's right! Cerberus can help :thumbs up

Hmmmm...setter spittle has cleaning properties? :lightbulb: I wonder if it would work on the blue stains (too much copper) in the bath tub! :D Gotta see if I can get them all to drool in the tub next time it needs cleaning. Thanks for the tip, 14+! :thumbs up

Frenchy
October 25th, 2008, 11:36 PM
oh it's Cerberus :laughing: sorry little guy :o :p

14+kitties
October 25th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Oh, that's right! Cerberus can help :thumbs up

Hmmmm...setter spittle has cleaning properties? :lightbulb: I wonder if it would work on the blue stains (too much copper) in the bath tub! :D Gotta see if I can get them all to drool in the tub next time it needs cleaning. Thanks for the tip, 14+! :thumbs up

Hazel! You have had these wonderful pups for how long and you didn't know about the cleaning agents????? Darn, what kind of a setter momma are you? :D You have been spending far too much time with Cerberus and neglecting the poor setters!!!!! :eek: Now tuck Cerberus into bed (your pocket) and pay some attention to your doggies!!!!

and then could I pretty please, please, please borrow them when I have to clean my tub? I hate cleaning tubs.

growler~GateKeeper
October 25th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Hmmmm...setter spittle has cleaning properties? :lightbulb:

Well Cally's waiting-on-a-cookie drool sure helped keep the kitchen floor clean so I'm sure 8x Setter Spittle Strength would do a wonderful job ;):laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
October 25th, 2008, 11:49 PM
You have been spending far too much time with Cerberus and neglecting the poor setters!!!!! :eek:

nah she's just neglecting the cleaning :p :laugh:

14+kitties
October 25th, 2008, 11:54 PM
nah she's just neglecting the cleaning :p :laugh:

Yeah, that's true. That vaccuuming..........
But.... I thought that's why "C" moved in?? :confused: He's supposed to be taking over cleaning duties. He can check out the setter spittle too! :lightbulb:

growler~GateKeeper
October 25th, 2008, 11:57 PM
sounds like C is still in training so it may take a little while before he can be expected to take on the job fully w/out supervision :laughing:

14+kitties
October 26th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Nope, his orientation should be over with by now. Most new jobs only offer 5 to 6 hours of training. I think he's had more than enough. :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Cerberus is scared of setter saliva...he's been spending a fair amount of time drying off! :laughing:

I knew about the healing qualities and floor-cleaning abilities, but I'd never thought to try it in the tub! Oh, silly hazel!!! :o :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
October 26th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Nope, his orientation should be over with by now. Most new jobs only offer 5 to 6 hours of training. I think he's had more than enough. :rolleyes:

I think he's dragging it out, scared Cole's gonna try to eat him if he finds him alone :mwaha: and then there's Brier :evil: not done w/the eat everything stage :pawprint:

Frenchy
October 26th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I think he's dragging it out, scared Cole's gonna try to eat him if he finds him alone :mwaha: and then there's Brier :evil: not done w/the eat everything stage :pawprint:

I suspect Cole and Brier were only cleaning him :rolleyes:

growler~GateKeeper
October 26th, 2008, 01:01 AM
musta been one of those deep down get everything kinda cleaning :laughing:

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Grace likes to taste Cerberus when she gets a chance, too. He's so popular! :laughing:

I wish they could apply that deep down get everything kind of cleaning to the carpet! :o :laughing:

Frenchy
October 26th, 2008, 01:05 AM
musta been one of those deep down get everything kinda cleaning :laughing:

:laughing: ummm yummmyyy they said http://bestsmileys.com/drooling/3.gif

Stacer
October 26th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I completely missed this thread. Better late than never, I guess.

You did a great job Hazel, I hate to imagine what would have become of him had he not wandered into your yard.

Hopefully the shelter will let you know when he's adopted. Or maybe he'll become the shelter mascot, cause he's just so personable, and you can go visit him whenever you want.

In any case, his life is going down a much different path now because of you.

ps: I know all about crying in shelters, I dropped 2 kittens of last fall and nearly had a mental breakdown, the girl musta thought I was a little touched in the head.

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks, Stacer. :grouphug: I guess so...I still woke up about 4 times last night thinking I had to go check on Kitty and worrying that he might have some siblings still out there...

But Kitty, at least, is safe. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2008, 01:13 PM
Got an update (finally managed to call at the right time :rolleyes:) on Kitteh and he's doing well! :thumbs up

They think he's about 6 mos old. All his bloodwork came back good! Will be on antibiotics for the URI for a few more days, then his neuter, and then he'll be ready to adopt.

I am sooooo trying to talk myself out of going back for him when he's up for adoption...I know it's crazy...but I keep having this (totally unrealistic) vision of him sitting peaceably in the living room with the Pack, snoozing... :cloud9:

But I know it's :crazy: to even think that's workable!!

*sigh* A girl can dream, though, can't she? :sad:

ancientgirl
October 31st, 2008, 01:24 PM
Hazel, that's fantastic. I'm glad the little guy is doing well, although I'm very saddened to hear he's ony 6 months old and was out there in the cold world all by his lonesome.

At least he's getting the proper care and will soon have a new home.

I know what you mean about dreaming. There are so many you want to help, and it's so hard to turn away.

Love4himies
October 31st, 2008, 01:26 PM
You don't think a slow intro with the pack would allow your pack to think Mr. Grey is a critter to be protected? I know my old Bootsie who was a hunter and fighter supreme, would not touch a baby squirrel my sister brought into the house, or fight any of my cats that I brought home when I visited.

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2008, 01:27 PM
I was pretty surprised that I guessed his sex and age just about right on the money! :laughing:

Maybe I know more about kittehs than I thought. :p

But ya, don't you just wish you had the space, money and staff to bring them all home!? :cloud9:

babymomma
October 31st, 2008, 01:30 PM
I agree with L4H- My uncle has 4 english setters, 2 gordon setters and 3 beagles, they are hunting/house dogs and were obviously bred to hunt. He introduced a cat into the house, i think you would be able to too :shrug:

hazelrunpack
You don't think a slow intro with the pack would allow your pack to think Mr. Grey is a critter to be protected? I know my old Bootsie who was a hunter and fighter supreme, would not touch a baby squirrel my sister brought into the house, or fight any of my cats that I brought home when I visited.

They might, one-on-one. What worries me is when they're working as a Pack. The instincts in play then are totally different than when they're alone and sane. :o

Granted they might not go into Pack-mode inside (and kitteh would be an indoor cat for sure) but I can't be sure of that. Outside, if they find a rabbit inside the fence, the Pack instinct is unstoppable when you have 8 to try to control. :sad: If they did that inside, as small as the house is, I shudder to think what would happen. :eek:

Jim Hall
good work hazel nothing like kitty love

14+kitties
I was pretty surprised that I guessed his sex and age just about right on the money! :laughing:

Yeah, packages are just about the same on boys, doesn't matter the species :rolleyes:
Maybe I know more about kittehs than I thought. :p

Did you not say at one time you had a cat? Or am I totally losing it?

But ya, don't you just wish you had the space, money and staff to bring them all home!? :cloud9:

I would be sooooo tempted to give it a try..... sooooo tempted......... :D

Love4himies
October 31st, 2008, 01:32 PM
Oh I dream of winning the lottery and opening my own rescue, no cages except for the sick and recouperating, I would build cat friendly rooms :cloud9:.

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2008, 01:34 PM
I agree with L4H- My uncle has 4 english setters, 2 gordon setters and 3 beagles, they are hunting/house dogs and were obviously bred to hunt. He introduced a cat into the house, i think you would be able to too :shrug:

Do you know how he did it, babymomma? :eek: I would love to get some advice from someone who's introduced a new cat into a household of adult dogs with huge prey-drive! And then I'd have to convince hubby and probably go on tranquilizers for the transition :laughing:

Love4himies
October 31st, 2008, 01:36 PM
Oh somebody please help Hazel :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

14+kitties
October 31st, 2008, 01:38 PM
A large dog crate hazel! For the cat, not the dogs. Works wonders!!!!!!!!! Everyone can look without getting hurt. And then one at a time intros. :D

babymomma
October 31st, 2008, 01:39 PM
He kept a room of the house just for the cat(Door closed at all times) . And worked witheach dog one at a time for a week or so. Then he worked with 2 dogs at a time (And so on and so forth) Of course this took course over a few weeks, but it was SOOOOO worth it! Eventually they all coexsisted in peace :shrug: There may be more to it than that, Ill ask him next time i see him:thumbs up.. But i think you can make it work if you really wanted it to , Especially with all the cat experts on this bord to help you!

rainbow
October 31st, 2008, 01:42 PM
I think you can do it Hazel with the one on one introductions at first and kitty is an inside only cat. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2008, 01:42 PM
He kept a room of the house just for the cat(Door closed at all times) . And worked witheach dog one at a time for a week or so. Then he worked with 2 dogs at a time (And so on and so forth) Of course this took course over a few weeks, but it was SOOOOO worth it! Eventually they all coexsisted in peace :shrug: There may be more to it than that, Ill ask him next time i see him:thumbs up.. But i think you can make it work if you really wanted it to , Especially with all the cat experts on this bord to help you!
Wouldn't he get lonely locked in a room all by himself with all the excitement on the other side of the door?

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2008, 01:43 PM
A large dog crate hazel! For the cat, not the dogs. Works wonders!!!!!!!!! Everyone can look without getting hurt. And then one at a time intros. :D

hmm...we got plenty of those...

So if he's out of the room, he's in the kennel? Hmmmmm....

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2008, 01:45 PM
I think you can do it Hazel with the one on one introductions at first and kitty is an inside only cat. :thumbs up

What if it turns out we have a cat-hater in the Pack. :o I'd hate to have to bring him back to the shelter :sad:

I have my doubts about Brier. He's a hard-headed little so-and-so with delusions of grandeur at this age... :rolleyes:

Love4himies
October 31st, 2008, 01:45 PM
Kitties don't mind being alone, especially if there is too much excitement on the other side of the door. They like to feel safe and secure. Could you work out a foster to adopt with the shelter maybe?

babymomma
October 31st, 2008, 01:47 PM
Wouldn't he get lonely locked in a room all by himself with all the excitement on the other side of the door?

Dont they pretty much sleep all day :shrug: Im sure that if you spent some time with him in the day, maybe curl up with a good book or play with him it should be fine.. And he'll be under a little stress in his new enviroment regardless, maybe he will need some "Alone time"..

Im sorry im not much help:o I have very little experiance to work with... Ive never had a kitty of my own:sad:

14+kitties
October 31st, 2008, 01:47 PM
hmm...we got plenty of those...

So if he's out of the room, he's in the kennel? Hmmmmm....

I can't tell you the number of times I thank heavens I have my crates. They have come so in handy. The cat can sit in there safely and watch the dogs. It worked here when Sammy came in last winter and with Keesha. But Keesha is tiny. They think she's one of them, she just has a strange meow. :shrug:

I think it would totally work. It may take an extended time but I can see it working. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2008, 01:48 PM
Kitties don't mind being alone, especially if there is too much excitement on the other side of the door. They like to feel safe and secure. Could you work out a foster to adopt with the shelter maybe?

If I go to the shelter and say "I have 8 unproven dogs and I'd like to foster that kitteh" what do you think they'll say? :o :sad: Actually, I offered to foster a dog that we brought in last year and they never got back to me...probably because, as Frenchy once told me, that they figure someone with 8 dogs can't possibly have the time to give another animal its fair due... :shrug:

14+kitties
October 31st, 2008, 01:54 PM
Hazel, no matter what you decide no one is going to think less of you. You saved this little sweetie and gave him a great restart on his life. Re-life if you like. We all love you for what you do with your doggies. Now we love you more for saving this big boy and giving him a chance. :grouphug:

rainbow
October 31st, 2008, 01:58 PM
Hazel, no matter what you decide no one is going to think less of you. You saved this little sweetie and gave him a great restart on his life. Re-life if you like. We all love you for what you do with your doggies. Now we love you more for saving this big boy and giving him a chance. :grouphug:

Well said......I agree totally. :thumbs up :grouphug:

babymomma
October 31st, 2008, 01:59 PM
ME TOO!! :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2008, 02:01 PM
I think it's going to boil down to how afraid I am that kitty would come to a bad end. For most things, I trust the Pack implicitly. I have to try to decide if they're trustworthy this way...

We have had parakeets with setters...only two dogs at a time, though. Occasionally they'd end up nose to beak on the floor...always a bit tense for hazel, but there were no accidents :shrug: Most of our dogs were cowed by the bird :laughing: And Kitty's got claws to teach lessons. :evil:

But if I'm on edge, I'm afraid the dogs will pick up on it, too... :sad:

Guess I've got a lot of thinking to do...there are at least 3 more weeks to think about it before Kitty is well, neutered, and healed from the surgery.

ancientgirl
October 31st, 2008, 02:12 PM
Hazel, I'm not one to talk anybody into helping out a little one in need, but I think you did what was best for him.

Maybe if you'd accustomed your pack from the time they were puppies to see cats as just another part of the pack, I'd say different, but you have so many to watch out for. If it was just two, I'd say give it a try, but 8, I think it would be hard to really know what they'd all do for sure. You know your dogs best and if you aren't sure, then maybe that's just your inner Hazel telling you it might not be a good idea. I'm sorry, I don't like to be a downer, but I'd be afraid of something happening to the little guy when you weren't looking.

I think he will find a good home. What you did was more than most people would do.

And L4H, I'm with you. My dream is to win the lottery. I don't even ask to win a huge amount. Just enough to be able to buy myself a nice little house, with a nice yard that I can make into my own little kitty sanctuary. I'd at least be able to foster some cats and give them a safe place until they found their forever home, and I might even be able to have a dog or two.

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2008, 02:18 PM
My inner hazel! :laugh: Probably TDFO knocking some sense into madame hazel! :o

I suspect you're right, AG...the consequences of a lapse of attention on my part would be disastrous... :sad:

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2008, 02:19 PM
Ah, yes...

Back to sanity...

I think you're right, AG. I just have to keep Brier in mind to realize what a bad idea I'm contemplating... :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
October 31st, 2008, 02:29 PM
My inner hazel! :laugh: Probably TDFO knocking some sense into madame hazel! :o

I suspect you're right, AG...the consequences of a lapse of attention on my part would be disastrous... :sad:

What's TDFO?

Smiley14
October 31st, 2008, 05:37 PM
I wasn't planning on getting another cat, but I'd be willing to be your back-up plan if you do decide to give it a try and the Pack doesn't adjust well. Kitty is too special not to have his forever home!!! I don't have eight dogs, but I do have two and had to do several doggie intros with Billy during his 18 years. He outlasted many of them as I adopted a lot of seniors for a while there. Billy never did like dogs in general, but he learned to tolerate them and the dogs learned (Eventually, LOL) to leave him alone. It takes a lot of time and patience, but it's definitely doable. Some of them took up to a year of training to learn to live together, but it did always work for me. If you have verbal control over the dogs and if the kitty has some safe places to escape to (up high or behind a baby gate, through a cat door, etc), it's definitely worth a try. Start out with kitty in a kennel so the dogs can sniff to their hearts content. Do that for a while each day and then put kitty in a safe, separate room otherwise. Cats do just fine on their own as they sleep for 18 hours a day anyway. Give him some cuddle time and he's happy! :thumbs up Eventually, the pack will learn that the kitty in the cage is part of the routine and accept it. From there, I did one-on-one intros with my holding the cat and letting them sniff each other. Again, did that for a while and then did everyone together with my holding the cat. Put the dogs in a sit command and let go of the cat, making sure the cat has escape access. If chase ensues, some very adament "LEAVE IT's, LOL, come in handy. Always, always, always supervise, especially with a pack mentality. You may have to always keep kitty somewhat separate and probably always separate when you are not home. But it's really not that big of a deal. Everyone learns the routine and is safe and happy. :)

Smiley14
October 31st, 2008, 05:41 PM
Ah, yes...

Back to sanity...

I think you're right, AG. I just have to keep Brier in mind to realize what a bad idea I'm contemplating... :rolleyes:

Good points by AG as well. I've done up to three dogs and cat, but never eight. Well, you know what is best and you can't feel bad about it either way. You have SAVED this precious kitty's life!!! You are his hero! :thumbs up

ancientgirl
October 31st, 2008, 06:01 PM
I wasn't planning on getting another cat, but I'd be willing to be your back-up plan if you do decide to give it a try and the Pack doesn't adjust well. Kitty is too special not to have his forever home!!! I don't have eight dogs, but I do have two and had to do several doggie intros with Billy during his 18 years. He outlasted many of them as I adopted a lot of seniors for a while there. Billy never did like dogs in general, but he learned to tolerate them and the dogs learned (Eventually, LOL) to leave him alone. It takes a lot of time and patience, but it's definitely doable. Some of them took up to a year of training to learn to live together, but it did always work for me. If you have verbal control over the dogs and if the kitty has some safe places to escape to (up high or behind a baby gate, through a cat door, etc), it's definitely worth a try. Start out with kitty in a kennel so the dogs can sniff to their hearts content. Do that for a while each day and then put kitty in a safe, separate room otherwise. Cats do just fine on their own as they sleep for 18 hours a day anyway. Give him some cuddle time and he's happy! :thumbs up Eventually, the pack will learn that the kitty in the cage is part of the routine and accept it. From there, I did one-on-one intros with my holding the cat and letting them sniff each other. Again, did that for a while and then did everyone together with my holding the cat. Put the dogs in a sit command and let go of the cat, making sure the cat has escape access. If chase ensues, some very adament "LEAVE IT's, LOL, come in handy. Always, always, always supervise, especially with a pack mentality. You may have to always keep kitty somewhat separate and probably always separate when you are not home. But it's really not that big of a deal. Everyone learns the routine and is safe and happy. :)

Smiley it would be great if you could take this little guy in. Looks like you've had your guys hanging around cats and have lots of practice.

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2008, 08:29 PM
If I had a big house with lots of places for kitty to hide, I'd be even more inclined to try it... But there are no hideyholes here :sad: Everywhere you go, there's a dog...'cept in the spare room that still has unpacked boxes from our move (4 yrs ago! :laughing:) in it. I could use that as a kitty den, but there's no place to hide in the rest of the house. Most of it is open concept and even that area is small. I actually walked around this afternoon and tried to look at it like a cat would...and I keep coming up with "too small, no escape, a cat would easily be trapped here..." :sad:

Hmmmm...but Smiley, maybe Petey and Belle would like a new kitty? :D

Tundra_Queen
October 31st, 2008, 09:30 PM
Hazel, u did a wonderful thing with the kittn. But I really don't think it would be safe for him with your 8 dogs. Things can happen so quickly and the cat could be goners before u had a chance to get to him and rescue him. Think how terrible you would feel if that happened.

One dog could get upset with the cat and the others might follow and the cat wouldn't stand a chance. Even if u had cat trees or shelves on the wall for it to climb, it would only take one time where it couldn't get to safety and it would be over.

Willie was raised with a pek/pug and one day the pug (5 years later) was in a bad mood. Willie walked by the dog and the dog grabbed Willie. I was in the kitchen at the time and yelled and dived at the dog to let Willie go. Luckily Willie is a very furry cat and wasn't hurt too badly, but the dog only weighed 13lbs. Imagine if he had weighed more and was bigger.

Debbie

Do you know any friends that might be willing to adopt him? That way u could see him when u go to visit. :)

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2008, 09:51 PM
What's TDFO?

:o One of my entourage of personalities! :D It's me, hazel, madame hazel and TDFO (Two dogs facing off), who gets her name from my first avatar: 43601

The whole multiple personality thing started as a joke, but I must say I've gotten used to having them around! :laughing: :crazy:

I really don't think it would be safe for him with your 8 dogs. Things can happen so quickly and the cat could be goners before u had a chance to get to him and rescue him. Think how terrible you would feel if that happened.

That's exactly my fear. :o With 8, it's just too dicey. I only have two hands to grab collars with. :rolleyes:

Do you know any friends that might be willing to adopt him? That way u could see him when u go to visit. :)

I've been trying to convince a couple of cat people I know to take him in. No go so far... :sad: But I haven't given up quite yet. :o

Diamondsmum
October 31st, 2008, 10:06 PM

Smiley14 That is such a kind offer :cloud9:

14+kitties
October 31st, 2008, 10:10 PM
Awww Smiley, that is great!!! Looks like Petey and Belle may be getting a new housemate! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2008, 10:20 PM
Well, Smiley? :D Think you're ready for a new kitty? :o No pressure... I know it's one thing to make an offer to be Plan B and another to become Plan A unexpectedly. :o

Actually, I'm not sure the shelter would agree to it since I think they like to adopt out locally...but if you think you'd like to give it a shot, just PM me! :thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
October 31st, 2008, 10:23 PM
Hazel, I felt bad having to say I didn't think it would work, but just wanted to give ya a reality check.

I know you would be a wonderful momma to the kitten, and he/she would be lucky to have u as a momma, but like u say u only have 2 hands to grab collars.

It really is too bad we can't clone ourselves. :)

Debbie

14+kitties
October 31st, 2008, 10:23 PM
IMO the shelter should be ecstatic that someone wants to adopt him!!!

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2008, 10:35 PM
Hazel, I felt bad having to say I didn't think it would work, but just wanted to give ya a reality check.

:grouphug: Don't feel bad!! :o You were right...and I knew you were right, but I still catch myself dreaming now and then. :rolleyes:

IMO the shelter should be ecstatic that someone wants to adopt him!!!

They might well be, but you never know if they'd balk at the distance (MPLS is about 175 miles from here...) Regardless, this little guy won't be sitting around for long--not as friendly as he is. :lovestruck: All the ladies at the shelter love him, too--he's finally purring nonstop again! :D

I'd love to have Smiley adopt, though...cuz then (selfish motive here) I'd get pics... :cloud9:

Frenchy
October 31st, 2008, 11:23 PM
as Frenchy once told me, that they figure someone with 8 dogs can't possibly have the time to give another animal its fair due... :shrug:

Because they don't know you like we do. I would totally trust you with another dog (heck I would trust you with 25 dogs :laughing:) but with a cat , I would still trust you , but not the pack :laughing: because , they have the pack mentality , even if they all liked kitty , if one would go after him , they will all follow , and anything could happen after that , because of the pack mentality. :shrug:

I know you want to foster/adopt him , you want to save all animals Hazel. :angel: but we can't save them all. :sad: Don't worry , this kitty will get adopted soon :goodvibes: you did save him and placed him in a safety place :thumbs up you gave him a second chance on life :cloud9:

Frenchy
October 31st, 2008, 11:24 PM
I'd love to have Smiley adopt, though...cuz then (selfish motive here) I'd get pics... :cloud9:

ohhhh that would be so cool ! no pressure here smiley14 , but it would be sooo cool :p

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2008, 11:28 PM
I considered going back to the shelter tomorrow to visit him, but I'm sure I'd cry again. :rolleyes:

I'm so happy that he got his purrrrrr back, though. :cloud9: It was hard handing him off to someone else and hearing the purr stop. :sad:

Oh, that darn Pack! You'd think they were a pack of wolves...:frustrated:...oh, wait! :eek: They are basically a Pack of wolves! :laughing:

Yeah, Frenchy, I think I've given up on the adopt-a-kitty idea. :o Occasionally my sanity shows. :D

Frenchy
October 31st, 2008, 11:30 PM
Yeah, Frenchy, I think I've given up on the adopt-a-kitty idea. :o Occasionally my sanity shows. :D

We'll just have to make sure you don't come in contact with other cats :laughing: or rabbits , or chinchillas , or or or .... :laughing:

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2008, 11:52 PM
Yes...that would be good :o

:laugh:

ancientgirl
November 1st, 2008, 08:31 AM
Oh yay! I hope this works out. I would think that if you had a for sure home for him they would have no problem adopting him out non-locally. Especially to a person you know and who has pets already, they know they have to be dependable. :D:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingers cr

Smiley14
November 2nd, 2008, 12:37 AM
Oh guys, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to get everyone's hopes up. I meant to say I could be Hazel's backup if she adopted him and it didn't work out with the pack. As much as I LOVE the idea of this kitty, especially because of his backstory, LOL, and his beautiful face, I don't think I can. I have to think about it. I'm currently working with a co-worker who casually informed me last week in conversation that she is moving from her hobby farm to a regular house and can't bring her barn cats with her. She sent out an email to everyone at work to see if anyone wanted them. If she doesn't find a home for her TWENTY-TWO cats by the end of next week, they're going to the shelter. :( None of them are spayed or neutered of course, and six of them are babies from a recent litter. :( So far, only two people have expressed interest. I fear I may end up with way too many of them as I can't handle the thought of them in the shelter and she knows that and is trying to take advantage of that. :( She has some beautiful short-haired calicos and some grays and one black kitty. They aren't feral at least and are very friendly and used to being around kids and dogs both, so at least they have that much in their favor. Sometimes I really hate people. :( I wasn't even planning on another cat yet (I'm debating possibly another Boston instead and technically, my city has a three pet limit, although I can probably push that if I don't register any cats), so I'm feeling REALLY torn over it all right now. I don't know what to do!!!

ancientgirl
November 2nd, 2008, 06:25 AM
Smiley, I really hate people sometimes too. :sad: So many already and none are spayed and neutered. And yet they wonder how they wind up with more cats.:wall:

hazelrunpack
November 2nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
Selfishly, I'd love to see him adopted by someone who would post pics and keep me updated :o but he's such a sweety, Smiley, that I'm sure he'll get adopted out to a good home without too much trouble, so don't fret. Sounds like you have enough on your plate right now! :grouphug:

:thankyou: for helping out with your coworker's kitties.

Tundra_Queen
November 2nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Hazel, why don't u slip the shelter work a card with this websites addy on it, to give to the person who adopts the grey boy so they would come in here to show u pics. *G*

Debbie

hazelrunpack
November 2nd, 2008, 07:48 PM
Hazel, why don't u slip the shelter work a card with this websites addy on it, to give to the person who adopts the grey boy so they would come in here to show u pics. *G*

Debbie

:lightbulb: I could get a luggage tag, write the site addy on it, and attach it to his collar! :D You know, Tundra_Queen...that's maybe not such a bad idea. :thumbs up Hmmmm...I'll run it by the shelter staff... :fingerscr

JennieV
November 2nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
Hi Hazel,
I just wanted to pitch in and re-inforce your sanity.:sad:
I once was a witness, at about 17 yrs old, to how quickly the pack instinct kicks in and how irreversible the results are: One of my neighbours had a very nice doggie, GS mix, which was super-friendly and kind and liked other animals, including cats.

The other neighbour, about 3 doors down had a vicious and pretty scary Rottie mix, his character was made worse by having it tied 24 hours, without any attention. So one time the rottie got loose (or was let loose) and was running around. I am not afraid of dogs, but as I was riding my bike, I figured I better get off and walk slowly. Which was fine, the dog kind of just ignored my presence... Until the rottie noticed an orange tabby, that decided to cross the road just about 10 meters away...With a terrifying growl he attacked, and the next thing I saw was the first neighbour's dog, following the rottie, her back hair standing and a vicious look on her face, growling...All that happened within about 2.5 seconds.
They attacked the kitty... I literally threw my bicycle at them, but it did very little. I tried to get in between them, was yelling and trying to chase the dogs off, but then the rottie turned to me with his face full of blood and he was pretty much ready to go for my throat. I grabbed my bike and used it as a separator between us (not that it would do much if he went for it) The other dog got a little scared and backed off from me, but the rottie was crazy-lookin :eek: I think at that point the kitty managed to crawl away into the thick of the bushes, because they kept looking for it, but not being able to reach it. Finally, the owner of the rottie came out, yelled at the dog, the dog took off to go home...I looked for the cat, but was unable to reach him, I saw him in the thickness of the bush..:cry2:.He was badly injured and I don't think he made it.. :sick::sick:

I am not trying to scare you, or tell you graphic details, but this could happen even while you are there, supervising...and there would be nothing you could do. :shrug:
P.S. The rottie was loose many more times and each time he did something, attacked someone, bit the tires on people riding their bikes, was really getting bad...and then one day he bit a little boy and the boy's mom reported this dog and he was put to sleep. The owner went and got another dog and tied it in the back.:wall:

hazelrunpack
November 2nd, 2008, 09:15 PM
Poor kitty :candle: :sad:

Ya, I've seen my Pack in action. It's really not something that I can, in good conscience, risk. :sad: The consequences are too dire should something go wrong.

I'm sorry you had to see that, and that kitty had to go through that. :grouphug: I feel badly for the poor rotti, too... :sad:

Tundra_Queen
November 2nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
:lightbulb: I could get a luggage tag, write the site addy on it, and attach it to his collar! :D You know, Tundra_Queen...that's maybe not such a bad idea. :thumbs up Hmmmm...I'll run it by the shelter staff... :fingerscr

*giggling* I'm just trying to help u out.
*in my best bogart voice*...Stick with me kid, I've got lots of ideas.

:laughing::laughing:

Debbie

hazelrunpack
November 2nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
*giggling* I'm just trying to help u out.
*in my best bogart voice*...Stick with me kid, I've got lots of ideas.

:laughing::laughing:

Debbie
:laughing:

You think I'm not crazy enough to actually do this? :crazy: hazel has done lots weirder things! :D I already have the luggage tag picked out. :p

Tundra_Queen
November 2nd, 2008, 09:55 PM
Hazel, I don't think it is crazy at all! :laughing: My son could tell u stories about things I have done to get things for my gardens... :laughing::laughing:

Debbie

hazelrunpack
November 2nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
You just wait! This is gonna work! :laughing: Then no one will think either of us are crazy! :o

Tundra_Queen
November 2nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Like I said... I never thought u were crazy....... did u think I WAS crazy? :crazy::crazy: :laughing:

hazelrunpack
November 2nd, 2008, 10:24 PM
Who? Us?! Nah...no crazier than we are! :p

We're just misunderstood. :angel:

And I really hope this luggage tag/pets.ca idea works! :D

Frenchy
November 2nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
:D you guys are nuts :D

hazelrunpack
November 2nd, 2008, 10:46 PM
Think the shelter will go for it, Frenchy? :D

Frenchy
November 2nd, 2008, 10:49 PM
I still like MY idea better . I take 4 of the pack , that would leave you 4 and you could adopt mr.grey. :shrug: it is the more reasonable idea :whistle:

hazelrunpack
November 2nd, 2008, 10:53 PM
You'll have to drive down for them and run the gauntlet of 8 dogs to split your 4 out of the Pack.

Course...now that I think of it...Mr Mouse just did that and he lived to tell the tale, so maybe you've got a chance! :laughing:

Smiley14
November 3rd, 2008, 08:30 PM
WOOHOO! My co-worker has found homes for all but seven of her cats already! She sent out a mass email to the office (4,000 employees) and got more responses and confirmations over the weekend and today. I just hope they are good homes. :fingerscr She is going to keep four in her new house and so is just down to three she is still trying to rehome. She sent me this update today:

I am down to 1 orange tabby female unspayed and one white with patches female unspayed and 1 black kitten. Here's some more information in case you are able to take any of them. Ginger is a little more timid but has been exposed to dogs at the hobby farm (she is now living on my front porch with my 17 yrs old car). Tigger is a great female used to dogs and would have a more stand up attitude vs. hiding like Ginger might. But you never know. The kitten is somewhat wild so I know she would not work as she has not had a lot of human contact and would really need a home w/no pets so she can get a lot of attention.

I would be willing to help with spaying if you would be able to take her. She is one of my orig cats and has been a great mother and is very friendly, I would love for her to have an indoor home :)

I don't know what to do!!! As I mentioned before, my city has a three pet limit. Do I take one of her older "momma" kitties with age unknown or this little gray kitty here or do I wait and get another Boston eventually (would be a year or two most likely). I don't know what to do. Sorry for hijacking your thread by the way, Hazel! I asked my co-worker if she has any pics, but I'm almost afraid to even look. :eek:

hazelrunpack
November 3rd, 2008, 10:29 PM
Hi-jack away! It's for a good cause!

No pressure here--you decide what's best for you. (Remember, Mr Gray stands a really good chance of being adopted as friendly and young as he is. So his life is in no danger.) If one of your coworker's kitties strikes a chord in your heart, go for it! :highfive: If not and you decide on Mr Gray, well, I'm still willing to be the initial go-between for you with the shelter here. :thumbs up

If you get pics, pls post some here! :D I'd love to see them. I've taken a shining to kittehs recently... And as long as I don't meet them in person, I'm relatively safe... :o

hazelrunpack
December 12th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Update on kitteh. He's over his URI, recovered from his neuter, and he's got a name now: Keegan. :cloud9: Interestingly, we were going to adopt a dog called Keegan, but there was a freak storm that took the fence down where she was. She got out and was hit by a car before we got the chance to bring her home :cry: So I thought it was a bit of a coincidence that they named this guy Keegan. I tried to convince hubby that it was kizmet, but he wasn't buying it :o, and the Pack took off after a squirrel this morning that escaped only by a hair. :eek: Much as I hate to admit it, we're not right for the little fella (don't tell hubby I think he's right, though, please! :laughing:)

So Keegan is available for adoption at the shelter. I may still get a chance to visit because I don't believe they'll adopt out until after the holidays now...so maybe next weekend :fingerscr I hope the perfect family finds him! :cloud9:

ancientgirl
December 12th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I'm so happy to hear he's doing well.

Don't worry, we won't snitch on you to hubby. I'd love for you to be able to take him, but seeing as the pack took off after a squirrel, methinks a kitty would be too much of a temptation for them.

At least you can visit the little guy though.

hazelrunpack
December 12th, 2008, 03:08 PM
And I'm still considering dropping off that luggage tag with my contact info for his collar! :laughing:

dogcatharmony
December 12th, 2008, 05:27 PM
hmmmm I will have to pull out a map and see how far Wisconsin is from me.....Mr. Gray (aka.....Mr Keegan) would have a mighty fine home here...with a dog that would love him.......pllus the benefits of pics and updates. He is such a handsome fellow...:sad:wish I wasn't so far away.

Chris21711
December 12th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Maybe you could try on a foster basis Hazel, our guys will give the chase to any little critter they comes into our yard. In the house they are fine, although Reb does like to give Kale a run for his money :D He trys the same with Herbie, Herbie just looks at him like he is stooooopid :laughing:

catlover2
December 12th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Keegan reminds me of a cat I used to have that was part Russian Blue, with green eyes, and yes he was very much a lovemush too. Didn't have a white locket though. The purebred RB's you might see at a cat show are much more slender in type thesedays, but all have that beautiful silvery sheen to their coat. Thanks for your gr8 care of Keegan and glad he has a new home.

14+kitties
December 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM
hmmmm I will have to pull out a map and see how far Wisconsin is from me.....Mr. Gray (aka.....Mr Keegan) would have a mighty fine home here...with a dog that would love him.......pllus the benefits of pics and updates. He is such a handsome fellow...:sad:wish I wasn't so far away.

Soooo ... how far north are you DCH ??? :rolleyes: And how deep into Wisconsin are you Hazel? Wonder how we could get a convoy going?? :) Or, a short plane ride????? DCH, you could meet Hazel and collect a wonderful kitty all in one!!!! :thumbs up

dogcatharmony
December 12th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I am right on the Michigan border.....with the twin Soo's. For those that don't have a clue what I am talking about.....Sault Ste Marie Ontario is me....Sault Ste Marie Mich is our twin....bridge in between...... so maybe 10 mins from the USA..now how far is Miss Hazel???

eye carumba.......just looked at a map......her state is not that far from me....well doesn't look that far map wise. How far is St. Ignace from you?

14+kitties
December 12th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Ok Hazel........ get back here!! This could be exciting!!
This sounds like a silly question DCH but what zone are you in for gardening? Hazel says she is in 3/4 if memory serves (it may not :o) so that would give us some kind of idea how close she is to you.

Tundra_Queen
December 12th, 2008, 07:38 PM
And I'm still considering dropping off that luggage tag with my contact info for his collar! :laughing:

Hazel, u mean u haven't done that yet? I sure wish u would,, ya know your gonna be sad if he gets adopted and he doesn't have his tag. :cry:

I am right on the Michigan border.....with the twin Soo's. For those that don't have a clue what I am talking about.....Sault Ste Marie Ontario is me....Sault Ste Marie Mich is our twin....bridge in between...... so maybe 10 mins from the USA..now how far is Miss Hazel???

eye carumba.......just looked at a map......her state is not that far from me....well doesn't look that far map wise. How far is St. Ignace from you?

OOoooo does hubby have any trips going there soon? :D

Debbie

dogcatharmony
December 12th, 2008, 07:40 PM
uhmmmm gardening........don't have a clue. The only plant I can grow is a spider plant....couldn't kill it if I wanted to......maybe 20 years old that plant. My sis's hubby said he could give me a ride to St Ignace....that is maybe an hour from where I am, I know Hazel is father than that......but:shrug: who knows. If Hazel doesn't mind I took the pics of Mr. Gray and sent them to my sis.......mabye sway they into driving a bit farther???

MommaKat
December 12th, 2008, 07:42 PM
What a wonderful end to the story that would be :cloud9: Not to mention, many of us would be extremely jealous if you got to meet Madame Hazel and the pack :laugh: (closest thing I could find to an envy emote).

14+kitties
December 12th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Mmm, just looked in one of my gardening books. You are in Zone 4. Soooo, maybe not too far from Hazel. :D Now we just need her input. :thumbs up
I gotta say...... would love a happy ending for this guy!! You would be perfect. You know Zoe already likes kitties. :fingerscr

ancientgirl
December 12th, 2008, 07:56 PM
OH, this is getting exciting! Hazel, where you be?

dogcatharmony
December 12th, 2008, 07:59 PM
+14.......I googled gardening zones and I am in the same zone as Wisconsin. Well at least it lumped me in the same zone along with Iowa, and a few other states. And nevermind St ignace....it's the other way down into Michigan. Need to find another refernce point.

Here's a map.....blue is me red is Wisconsin

dogcatharmony
December 12th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I seriously would take him in a heartbeat.....and he would have no problem crossing the border as long as he had his shots. And the more kitty love the better.....specially if he showed no signs of fear at a pack of 8 dogs......Zoe would be in heaven to have her very own kitty.

14+kitties
December 12th, 2008, 08:06 PM
+14.......I googled gardening zones and I am in the same zone as Wisconsin. Well at least it lumped me in the same zone along with Iowa, and a few other states. And nevermind St ignace....it's the other way down into Michigan. Need to find another refernce point.

Here's a map.....blue is me red is Wisconsin

Yeah, I did the same thing. :p :D
I think it would be entirely doable but I am sure the shelter would need to meet you. So you may need to find a day or two to go visiting. :fingerscr I really hope this works out!! You deserve another kitty. You do such a good job with Zoe and your kitties. Good luck!!
I gotta boogie for a while. Bbs. Maybe by that time Hazel will be back on.

dogcatharmony
December 12th, 2008, 08:36 PM
here's a better map. Hmmmm...never thought about meeting the shelter..I have good references from my vet (same vet for twenty plus years....taken care of a few of my animals). Roadtrip......havent' done that in a long long time

Frenchy
December 12th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Hey ! Hazel is not so far from Ontario ! :crazy:

Now I have to go back because I don't know what's happening here ... dogcatharmony wants to adopt the kitty or dognap the pack ? :confused:

because I am first in line for the dognapping :cool:

Frenchy
December 12th, 2008, 09:14 PM
omg how cool would that be !!!

dogcatharmony
December 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Oh goodness.......not the pack.....I am more familiar with kitty packs. I thought I would check back.....have to go to bed now....suppost to work in three hours...LOL. I will be back sometime tomorrow depending on when I get to sleep...I have no control of what my crew wants to do when I get home at 10 in the morning.

Frenchy
December 12th, 2008, 09:34 PM
ahhh you work nights ? I couldn't do that .... go work when everyone is going to bed. Have a good "day" dogcatharmony !

Tundra_Queen
December 12th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Hey ! Hazel is not so far from Ontario ! :crazy:

Now I have to go back because I don't know what's happening here ... dogcatharmony wants to adopt the kitty or dognap the pack ? :confused:

because I am first in line for the dognapping :cool:

:laughing: Well there are enough dogs to go around,,, a few times! :laughing::laughing:

DCH.....Yeahhhhhh That would be so kewl if u could adopt Mr Grey pussy cat. :D And meet Miss Hazel and the pack!! :D

hazelrunpack
December 12th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Google Neillsville WI--it's another what? 500 miles? So it's a fair piece away--below the west end of the Upper Peninsula of MI. That's where Keegan is, at the Clark County Humane Society. That would be so cool if you could adopt him, DCH! I know they allow nonlocal adoptions but I'm not sure if they'd require the adopter to come all the way to the shelter or whether they'd allow a transport. I know they will not ship or transport themselves, but they may allow a transport arranged by you. (I can take a leg if we do it on a weekend :D)

I'll call tomorrow and find out. I'll PM you the link to the application. :thumbs up

I'm excited! :goodvibes: I'd love to have him placed in a home as great as yours, DCH! And I'd love to make Zoe happy :cloud9: And I'd get pics, too! :o

Frenchy
December 12th, 2008, 10:26 PM
And I'd get pics, too! :o

Wouldn't that be wonderful ? To get updates and pics of your first non foster failure ever :laughing:

hazelrunpack
December 12th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Wouldn't that be wonderful ? To get updates and pics of your first non foster failure ever :laughing:

:o...Hmmmm...that is my first non foster-failure, isn't it? :D Now I'm feeling all proud. :laughing:

I hope this works, but I have a feeling they'll not only want to meet the adopter, but perhaps also Zoe, to see if Keegan gets along with her. That's a bit of driving.... :o

14+kitties
December 12th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Awww, I will cross fingers too.
Wow! I just googled and got directions! It would be doable if transport could be arrranged. We just have to wish really hard now. :pray: Zoe might get a new playmate!! Amos and Phoebe might have more excitement in their lives too. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
December 12th, 2008, 10:47 PM
And for anyone else interested, the tiny blue dot on the red on this map is about where Neillsville is, about 26 miles (~45 km) from hazel:

Doesn't look too far... :o I wouldn't wanna walk it, though! :D

14+kitties
December 12th, 2008, 10:52 PM
:o...Hmmmm...that is my first non foster-failure, isn't it? :D Now I'm feeling all proud. :laughing:

I hope this works, but I have a feeling they'll not only want to meet the adopter, but perhaps also Zoe, to see if Keegan gets along with her. That's a bit of driving.... :o

I would think they may want to meet her too. And possibly Zoe. But I am going back to crossing fingers they may be happy he has a furever home.

hazelrunpack
December 12th, 2008, 10:57 PM
We'll know tomorrow afternoon what the shelter requires. :fingerscr

Frenchy
December 12th, 2008, 11:01 PM

But they can take your word for it ? :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
December 12th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I'm hoping they can! But I've never really seen Keegan interact with dogs--just sit slightly above them and look down on them. :laughing: I'm hoping they can take my word as to what sort of home DCH would give him, though! :fingerscr

Tundra_Queen
December 12th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Ok, I'm crossing everything!! fingers, toes, legs, arms, eyes, ears..think I'll braid my hair too!

Ooooooo I hope this works!! :clap::clap::fingerscr:fingerscr:cat::goodvibes::h ighfive:

Debbie

14+kitties
December 12th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Awww, send them here to read her post on how she handled her neighbour! That should convince them she does nothing but the best for her babies. :thumbs up They are #1 with her!!

hazelrunpack
December 12th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Ok, I'm crossing everything!! fingers, toes, legs, arms, eyes, ears..think I'll braid my hair too!

:laughing: As luck would have it, hazel braids her hair all the time! :thumbs up So we're covered! :p

Awww, send them here to read her post on how she handled her neighbour! That should convince them she does nothing but the best for her babies. :thumbs up They are #1 with her!!

I was thinking the same thing! :D

Diamondsmum
December 12th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Ohhhhhh this would be awesome!!!!

Fingers crossed & all that too

luckypenny
December 13th, 2008, 12:21 AM
:goodvibes: :goodvibes:

If there's anything any of us can do to help Keegan get to his furever home, just give us the word.

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Just keep the good wishes coming! :thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
December 13th, 2008, 03:07 AM
:laughing: As luck would have it, hazel braids her hair all the time! :thumbs up So we're covered! :p

:laughing: See we have lots of things in common! :laughing::laughing:

Winston
December 13th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Hey guys I was just thinking if it doesnt work out maybe you could look at Puce Badger's newest addition..may be closer for you too! She said he ws snipped and ready to go!

Cindy

14+kitties
December 13th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Hey guys I was just thinking if it doesnt work out maybe you could look at Puce Badger's newest addition..may be closer for you too! She said he ws snipped and ready to go!

Cindy

Googling Sault Ste Marie to Neillsville WI = 751 km – about 8 hours 36 mins

Googling Sault Ste Marie to Montreal = 982 km – about 11 hours 21 mins

Still have :fingerscr for a successful result with Keegan!

Love4himies
December 13th, 2008, 08:36 AM
OMG, I am so excited. :pray: :goodvibes: and 12 paws :fingerscr and four fingers :fingerscr

chico2
December 13th, 2008, 08:49 AM
OMG,I just finished reading this whole thread,how did I miss it:wall:
Hazel,I totally agree that you keeping Keegan was not really doable.
But thank dog you were there for him,he was one lucky kitty..
I would love to save a dog from a shelter,but with my Rocky,it's not possible.:yell:
It's kind of a good feeling knowing you cared so much for this little boy,I know several dog-owners who hate cats,I was even surprised when Frenchy got her two kitties,but a real animal-lover loves all animals and would help any creature in trouble,except maybe a poor little mousie,if he ever ended up in Frenchys house:laughing:

I think beautiful little Keegan will eventually find a good home,he has been at the shelter for more than a month,which I guess is not really unusual,there are soo many needy kitties out there.
Anyway,thank you Hazel for being the wonderful kitty-savior you are:cat:
:pray:Keegan will get home very soon:fingerscr

otter
December 13th, 2008, 09:11 AM
More fingers, toes, paws and hairs crossed for Keegan!!:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr I soo hope this works out. Then i'd have even more reasons to go visit with dogcatharmony too :thumbs up
I wish a long drive was more in the cards for us right now... i'd so love to pick the guy up for you (and have an excuse to visit the pack:D):D

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Cindy

Googling Sault Ste Marie to Neillsville WI = 751 km – about 8 hours 36 mins

Googling Sault Ste Marie to Montreal = 982 km – about 11 hours 21 mins

Still have :fingerscr for a successful result with Keegan!

Winston's got a good point, DCH. Absolutely no pressure from this end--I'm sure this guy will get a home fairly quickly (hazel just selfishly would like to have him with a loving someone who will post pics :o) and that's a prodigious piece o' drivin' for you to get to Neillsville if they want you to come pick him up in person.

Shelter opens in less than three hours...I'll call them at noon and see what the regs are. (9:22 here now)

ancientgirl
December 13th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I hope it works out for little Keegan, but it would be nice to find a home for Puce too.:D

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Ya, it sure would be.

You know, I was thinking...if I had a Pride of, like, 20 cats in the house, they'd be able to band together and keep the Pack at bay......

*slap* hazel!! Snap out of it!!

:o

14+kitties
December 13th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Winston's got a good point, DCH. Absolutely no pressure from this end--I'm sure this guy will get a home fairly quickly (hazel just selfishly would like to have him with a loving someone who will post pics :o) and that's a prodigious piece o' drivin' for you to get to Neillsville if they want you to come pick him up in person.

Shelter opens in less than three hours...I'll call them at noon and see what the regs are. (9:22 here now)

But Hazel..... it's still closer to you than to badger.

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 11:00 AM
But Hazel..... it's still closer to you than to badger.

Oh.

:laughing: I was thinking for some reason that DCH was in Montreal and the total distance was ~1700 km :o

What can I say? It's early....I only started my second cup of coffee for the day! :laugh:

Okay...now I don't feel nearly as selfish... :p Thanks for pointing that out, 14+. :D

14+kitties
December 13th, 2008, 11:02 AM
:laughing::cloud9: :thumbs up No problem! I'm on my fourth. :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I'm looking forward to the clarity only caffeine can afford... :laughing: I'm making a new pot while I'm suckin' down this cup...

14+kitties
December 13th, 2008, 11:09 AM
:laughing::laughing: I wish I could stick around to see that clarity. :D I have to go do some food shopping, then come home and put up the tree, then start baking............
I might make it back in by midnight. :thumbs up
Have fun with your coffee.

Love4himies
December 13th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Ya, it sure would be.

You know, I was thinking...if I had a Pride of, like, 20 cats in the house, they'd be able to band together and keep the Pack at bay......

*slap* hazel!! Snap out of it!!

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: I saw pics of the pack gathered around HRM an HRD whenever there is movement in the house, can you imagine a pride of kitties added to the mix :laughing:

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I talked to the shelter just now, but the people who know about what's allowed for transport were not there, so I have to call back on Monday and talk to LuAnn again. :shrug: But the first step is still to submit an application for approval, DCH. :D

He's still not on their online page for available pets.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: I saw pics of the pack gathered around HRM an HRD whenever there is movement in the house, can you imagine a pride of kitties added to the mix :laughing:

Scarily, yes I can. :p The HRD has put his foot down, though :sad:...not till we have a smaller Pack. Although he did say that if we had fewer high-prey-drive dogs, he would have liked to give Keegan a home. :thumbs up

Frenchy
December 13th, 2008, 05:20 PM
except maybe a poor little mousie,if he ever ended up in Frenchys house:laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:

dogcatharmony
December 13th, 2008, 05:30 PM
whew......sorry I took so long....ended up getting to bed at one in the afternoon.....apparently Mother Nature dumped a whack of snow on us and I had no choice but to shovel if I wanted in my driveway.

Okay, so I will fill out the adoption form and see what they think. As for Zoe, well 5 years with my kitties and not ever one single problem. I think because she was a pup and was brought up right from the start she would be no problem. Heck , I have pics of her and the cats in the neighbourhood getting kisses, she's been around my dad's cats, my sister's cats. I worry if they would want to met Zoe......sometimes strange people just don't fly with her....but she does love critters. Okay.....don't get stressed out....first things first.

Frenchy
December 13th, 2008, 05:32 PM
wooohoo ! good luck dogcatharmony ! :fingerscr

14+kitties
December 14th, 2008, 08:16 AM
DCH - Breathe.....
I really hope things turn out well for you and Keegan. He would be a great addition to your gang. The shelter can fax the adoption forms to you and you can go from there. It may take a while with Christmas coming up. You know my fingers and toes are crossed for you! :fingerscr

Oh and....... if that doesn't work out...... I just googled the distance from you to me. It's only 7 hours, 52 mins. :p

Love4himies
December 14th, 2008, 08:34 AM
:pray::pray::fingerscr:fingerscr:goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
December 14th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Good luck with the applications, DCH. We've got our :fingerscr and lots of crossed :pawprint:s on this end, too. I've got notes all over the house to call tomorrow to talk to the director about the transport issue, too. :o But it wouldn't hurt to remind hazel if someone sees her signed on here at about noon Central Time tomorrow... :o

hazelrunpack
December 15th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Okay, just talked to the shelter. If we arrange the transport, they have no problems with it. I've given them your name, dogcatharmony, so they can watch for your application!

Good luck :goodvibes: :fingerscr

14+kitties
December 15th, 2008, 02:25 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/excited/2.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/excited/3.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/excited/2.gif

Alright!!!! I sincerely hope this works out!!!!

Tundra_Queen
December 16th, 2008, 01:49 AM
OOO OOOOOOO OOOOOOOO transport is ok? *jumping up and down* :clap:

Debbie

ownedbycats
December 16th, 2008, 07:50 PM
happy ending coming up, YA HOO :):cat:

rainbow
December 16th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Yippedy Do :highfive: ...I just read all this latest information. :thumbs up

Good luck dogcatharmony. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Frenchy
December 16th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Okay, just talked to the shelter. If we arrange the transport, they have no problems with it. I've given them your name, dogcatharmony, so they can watch for your application!

Good luck :goodvibes: :fingerscr

wooohoooo ! :highfive:

14+kitties
December 16th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Do they need to meet Zoe or would they be willing to adopt Keegan out without meeting the rest of the "family"? I am sure if you put in a good word DCH has a good chance of getting him. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
December 16th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Nope...they don't need to meet Zoe, so that's good. :D

14+kitties
December 16th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Even better! She would have been very stressed after a long drive. Not up to meeting new people. Gotta keep those :goodvibes: going!

dogcatharmony
December 17th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Just popping in with a question that has been nagging at me. Hazel where is the closest airport to you? I am trying to see how far my sister's hubby is willing to drive into Michigan before I fill out the forms. Because it's the UP and he's not familiar with it, plus this crazy snow season which has be awful so far, he only wants to go an hour or so from here. So that doesn't really take me far into Michigian at all. Oh and UP....upper peninsula. The Sault's airport is close on the American side I would have no problem getting to it.....and the Sault's airport on the Canadian side is very very close to me.so what's it like in your area?? I don't even have the slightest clue as to where to look to see flights and if they come to this area. And LOL....having a airhead moment....the name of the place the airport is in Michigian has just popped out of my head:wall:

hazelrunpack
December 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM
The closest big airport we have is in Minneapolis, 3 hours away. There is a Chippewa Valley airport...not much of an airport... :shrug:

I can see his point about not wanting to drive during snow season. They get some monster snow in the UP.

Want me to call the CV airport and see if they fly to Sault Ste Marie? Isnt' there also an airport in Marquette? Is that reachable for you?

dogcatharmony
December 17th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Marquette.....hmm that is not the name that is hiding somewhere in my brain....the more I think about it the further it is out of my grasp. I can call my sister in a few minutes to get the name, she is gone to pick the kids up from school. Sault Michigans airport is a little hole in the wall too.....maybe there is a chance one hole in the wall flys to the other?? I have no problem getting to the airport on the American side. I know not many flights come into our airport on the Canadian side anymore, they really stopped all small plane travel like Bearskin who did the rural stuff. Maybe it is Marquette....dang....I will be back in a few with the right name.