Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

8 week old kitten with fluid on her brain? please help :~(

bonniecode
October 24th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Last Wednesday I was given a kitten from my boyfriend for my birthday... he picked her up from a co-worker.
We bring her home and notice she had puss goobers in her eyes.. I had a vet appointment for the next morning but I couldnt wait (nor would I have been able to sleep with her like that) so I brought her to emergency.
They ended up telling me she has kitty herpes and gaves me some eye drops and well as clavamox drops to give to her every 12 hours, for the next 7 days.
Well this Wednesday night, her meds were done and she is SOOOO much better. No poopy eyes..nothing :) she's beautiful...
So we made a another appointment to bring her to the vet (a new one, not the emergency this time) to make sure all her symptoms are gone and we dont need to keep her on any medication..this was last night..
We get there.. and the vet tech takes her out of her carrier and says "wow shes got a HUGE head"... and I didnt really notice - to me it doesnt look big although I have never had a kitten so not sure what to think :(
Then.. the vet came in and said the same thing... she said "it's a little larger than i'm comfortable with"
She proceeded to tell me that she cant "guarantee that it's not fluid under there".. the only way to tell is to do a cat scan (ironic pun ain't it?) or an MRI which is around 2500$ :(
She said she looks healthy, not too skinny or too fat, her heart and lungs sound good - she is so alive and playful and has the best appetite, she eats and drinks lots!... so she said maybe she's just from a line of persians or different purebreed with a flatter face.. she didnt really tell us anything other than to watch her to make sure she doesn't start to have seizures and walking into things. I asked if I would come home one day and her not "be with us anymore" and she said "thats a possibility" !!!??!!??!! :(
She said this is normally something that happens to Chihuahuas?

Has anyone ever heard of anything similar to this? Is there anything I could do? I'm so scared for my little baby girl and I love her so much already...

All I wanted to do yesterday was go to the vet and get that "clean bill of health" after they told us she'd have this feline herpes for life...

Please if anyone knows anything, please help. :(

krdahmer
October 24th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I'm so sorry, this must be so stressful.:grouphug:

I have no experience with this in cats, but I do suffer from it myself, I get a build up of extra fluid around my brain. With me the doctors can tell by looking in my eyes, they can see the pressure, and they drain it by doing a spinal tap and then measuring what comes out. I'm not sure if it's possible to do something similar for a cat?

:goodvibes: & :pray: that your kitty lives a long and healthy life!

kathryn
October 24th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Huh.... that's a little odd. Um... hm. Can you post a picture of your kitty please? :D If possible. I mean... Kittens are usually not very symmetrical.

I would think her eyes would look funny if there was fluid on her brain. I mean, I really don't know =/

I would just wait and see if I were you. You have no idea how many times I've seen kittens with large heads and small bodies or fat stomachs and small heads. Kittens are like babies, its okay if they are a little uneven at first, they grow out of it most of the time :shrug:

Did he want to drain the fluid off her brain if there was any?

bonniecode
October 24th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Here's some pics

bonniecode
October 24th, 2008, 11:12 AM
The vet didn't say anything about draining the fluid - she just said she couldn't guarantee it was actually that in the first place...

All she basically told me was to wait and see... and we have a follow-up appointment for 4 weeks from now :( I feel so helpless :wall: and she is so precious...

I just want her to be ok :(:cat:

cpietra16
October 24th, 2008, 11:39 AM
It hard to tell from the pictures. The head looks normal in the pics. Could you go to another vat and get a second opinion. Thats what I would so to put myself a ease. Good luck...she's adorable.

aslan
October 24th, 2008, 11:44 AM
maybe it's just me but her head doesn't look huge, maybe her fur is floofy. i would think if there was fluid on her brain it would affect her eyes and the way she walks and functions. I agree with cpietra if possible get a second opinion.

KarenC
October 24th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I don't find her head big at all?? I would also get a second opinion just to ease your mind.

AmericanBullMom
October 24th, 2008, 11:53 AM
She looks normal to me! A fluffy kitten! Nothing strange at all. I definitely am with the others about getting another opinion!

:pray::fingerscr:goodvibes: For her to be all happy and healthy! Shes beautiful!

bonniecode
October 24th, 2008, 12:05 PM
This is why I am so confused!! :sorry::shrug:

She looks so normal to me.. when the vet said she had a big head I was like "!? Really?"

She eats and drinks so well, goes to her litter box like normal, runs around the room and plays like you wouldn't believe.. she does like to give lots of kisses! :)

And 8 days ago - when we first brought her to the emergency animal hospital for her herpes, that vet said nothing about the size of her head..

Would she all of a sudden grow a huge head in 8 days?
When she was first weighed at the Emergency she was 0.84kg = 1.8 lbs... now last night, they had her weighing in at 2.5 pounds = 1.1 kg

Is she gaining too fast? How much do kittens normally grow in one week?

The pics I posted were from this past Sunday... so not even a week ago.

Thank you for all the replies - it's really appreciated. I feel like I'm going insane feeling so helpless and everytime someone asks "How is your kitten?"..I'm ready to tear up!

*sigh* Thank you all again.

bendyfoot
October 24th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Hydrocephalus...I know some people who have dealt with this and may offer some insight...try asking here...

http://www.handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewforum.php?f=4

kathryn
October 24th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I vote 2nd opinion as well. Her head doesn't look big at all.

and I fail to see how big head = fluid on brain ?? Wouldn't fluid on the brain more likely represent its self as seizures, trouble walking, trouble seeing or hearing... that types of things.

Is your kitten pretty coordinated? Try dangling some string and see if she tips over or anything.

I really don't think your kitten has a big head.

And she did grow a little fast, but not too fast that I would say "omg !!!".

bendyfoot
October 24th, 2008, 02:25 PM
kathryn, google hydrocephalus images, you'll see a few chi's a humans too with the condition. It's usually, but not ALWAYS, associated with neurological symptoms, and they don't always present right away.

bonniecode
October 24th, 2008, 05:15 PM
kathryn, google hydrocephalus images, you'll see a few chi's a humans too with the condition. It's usually, but not ALWAYS, associated with neurological symptoms, and they don't always present right away.

you sure aren't very optimistic are you?

kathryn
October 24th, 2008, 09:55 PM

Yeah, I know what it's like in peoples but not in kitties.

The cat doesn't appear to have a large head at all from what bonniecode posted.

Can an x-ray be done instead of an MRI or CAT scan?

Also, for what it's worth you could always get pet health insurance that covers extensive tests and start paying that up just incase :shrug:

14+kitties
October 25th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Best advice we can give you is to get a second opinion. It's possible it's a money grab from the first vet. Hard to say. Kitty looks pretty good to me. :thumbs up

ownedbycats
October 25th, 2008, 04:21 PM
If you want to get a second opinion, and that might be a good idea, see if you can find a vet that works exclusively with cats. They willl have seen just about everything that can possibly happen to a cat, and will also be aware of what is just a difference due to breed vs difference caused by actual medical problem. However, they may be more expensive than a vet who deals with pets in general.

Love4himies
October 25th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I agree get a second opinion if you can. The head doesn't look too big to me either. Can you get a pic of the little sweetie standing up?

badger
October 25th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Ebby (now ruling the roost at my sister's, who worships him) was like that, he literally grew into his head. It could also be something to do with your kitten's breed. But I agree: if it worries you, see another vet.

bonniecode
October 27th, 2008, 10:33 AM
She's 9 weeks old and 2 days.... still no neuro signs :D

I'm hoping and praying and staying positive that it's not going to happen!

I'm starting to lean more to the side that she is fine - played so much all weekend, she is just too cute for words :lovestruck:

Thank you all for you nice comments - It makes me feel so much better knowing that most of you don't think her head looks big at all!
That's what I thought! :)

I'll keep everyone updated!

sweetiesmith
December 16th, 2008, 01:52 AM
How is your kitten doing?
I had a cat with hydrocephalus that lived to be 3 1/2 years old. I would be glad to share any info/encouragement if that is what your kitten has.