Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Greedy

rana
October 23rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
My dog is food driven and very greedy always keeps on following whoever and whereever she sees food, even the garbage. We feed her dry dog food 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups in the evening as recommended by the vet as per her body weight but still...

Last week she had double feed for dinner by mistake as one thought she wasn't fed and refed her so it was 4 cups but still she wants more!! Do we feed her until she is FULL?

rainbow
October 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
No, do not feed her until she is FULL. How old is she? How much exercise does she get? How much does she weigh? And what are you feeding her?

Oops, never mind the age....I just noticed.

Mat&Murph
October 23rd, 2008, 03:38 PM
One of my boys is like that too and I have to make sure he doesn't eat his brother's food too. but after a while he statred to relax. You just need to stick to your guns. You will be able to tell the difference between really starving to just plain greedy starving. Good luck:thumbs up:pawprint:

MommaKat
October 23rd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Hehe sounds like a typical dog :rolleyes: Your dog knows where the food is coming from so of course she's going to follow you or other people when she sees you walking around with some. Feeding twice a day is typical. Some people do free feed (filling the bowl when it's empty) but in my opinion unless you have a dog that NEVER over eats, your dog could get over weight.

Being food driven is not necessarily a bad thing (granted, getting into the garbage is not good;) ) because you can use that to your advantage for training. Out of curiosity, What are you feeding her?

kandy
October 23rd, 2008, 05:10 PM
The quality of food you are feeding can make a big difference in how much the dog wants to eat too. If it's a poor quality food, then the dog has to eat much more of it just to get the minimum nutrition from it. My 120 lb newfie girl gets between 2 and 3 cups a day, less if I'm adding something to it like cubed chicken or something. My little mutt gets 1 1/3 cups a day.

I have one dog that would do fine if free fed, and one that would eat every single kibble in his bowl and hers if given the opportunity. He'd probably eat til he literally exploded. LOL He is so bad about it that I have had to train him not to eat from Hazel's bowl - even if she leaves some kibble in there. He's very good about it now, if I'm home I could put food in her bowl and he would not touch one kibble in it. If I were to leave the house, all bets are off. LOL Now if Hazel thinks there is the opportunity for a treat or snack of some kind, she will do her very best to convince you that she is literally starving, wasting away before your very eyes. LOL

I agree that high food motivation is not a bad thing - Hazel will do anything you want if she knows you have a treat. In fact if you have a treat and haven't given a command for a trick, she'll start running through her whole stock of known tricks & commands. LOL

rana
October 24th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Thank you for your replies.

We feed our Angel "Iams Healthy Natural Puppy" food, at times we mix rice, oatmeal and sometimes chicken along in her bowl. She is nearly 50 pounds now and is 9 months old. She listens most of the time but has her moments so she does not need to be trained with food. She even gets her treats once or twice a day. And by mistake if something is left around to eat consider it gone, no matter what it is, at times we have to tie her up to have a peaceful dinner. Other than that she is an :angel2:

BenMax
October 24th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but maybe bring a stool sample to the vet clinic to check for worms.

I presently have a pup foster that is also gobbling food and does not seem to get enough. I am teaching him to slow down ...sit, stay, I hand feed a few (due to food aggression) and then put the bowl between my knees and caress him as he eats. I then gently guide him to sit and stay again and hand feed slowly and talk softly to him. In doing this exercise you are showing them to eat slower and thus not just nose diving into the bowl. So far it is working as I see him actually 'chewing' his food.

AmericanBullMom
October 24th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Iams Is a very poor quality food. I didnt find the review for the puppy one but I did find the adult formula one. Usually they are TOO terribly different.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1763&cat=all

I would suggest maybe switching her over to a better quality dog food, and doing as someone else said, teaching her to eat slower.

But afterall she is still young...and Puppies just LOVE to eat...

OOH OOH and I second getting her checked for worms!

Kinguni
October 25th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Iams Is a very poor quality food. I didnt find the review for the puppy one but I did find the adult formula one. Usually they are TOO terribly different.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1763&cat=all

I would suggest maybe switching her over to a better quality dog food, and doing as someone else said, teaching her to eat slower.

I'll second that opinion. The ingredients appear to be the same and the review is spot on.

That said, some dogs are simply always hungry. Our shepherd cross certainly is. We could overfeed her double and she'd still want more. I suppose one option is to fill them up with veggies, but that's not an option we take, we simply limit what she gets.