Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Michael Vick News

tat2doc
October 22nd, 2008, 07:45 AM
October 21, 2008
Michael Vick to enter plea to state dog fighting charges in Virginia

SURRY, Va. (AP) -- Former NFL quarterback Michael Vick plans to plead guilty to state dogfighting charges in a move that could qualify him for an early release from federal prison.

Surry County Circuit Court administrator Sally Neblett says a hearing has been scheduled for Oct. 30 on a motion from Vick's lawyers to permit him to enter his plea via video conference from the federal prison in Leavenworth, Kansas, where he is serving a 23-month term on federal dogfighting charges.

Court papers filed in Surry County Circuit Court make it clear that Vick would not be eligible for any programs away from the prison if he has unadjudicated charges pending anywhere else, like those in Surry County.

If Vick pleads guilty to the state charges, it could mean he would be released from prison early and moved into a halfway house, and possibly expedite his return to football.

Vick will have three years of federal probation upon his release from prison. Surry Commonwealth's Attorney Gerald Poindexter says the deal would tack on an additional year of probation in the county.

Love4himies
October 22nd, 2008, 07:49 AM
How can additional charges lead to early release, isn't that backwards? :confused:

BenMax
October 22nd, 2008, 08:00 AM
I really wish this monster ill! If he is ever allowed to play again - I am certain that there are enough people out there that were appauled by him. This 'man' should pay with his career as far as I am concerned - and fined BIG TIME - he certainly can afford it. A donation to the organization that took his dogs for sure.

This just makes me sick - of course he is going to plead quilty and make all kinds of public appologies - but they are absolutely not real! Since he himself killed one of those dogs - he knew exactly what he was doing!

I am totally grossed out!

NoahGrey
October 22nd, 2008, 01:18 PM
Our justice system is absured. The vitims whether animal or human usually pay.

I don't think the NFL would want him back. I think they have made it quite clear in the beginning that they were disgusted with him pretty much. I am sure there are his "boys" in the NFL that will want him back and think that he has done nothing wrong.

Sadly though, he will just become more clever in his doings when he gets out. Or he won't be the ring leader this time. More so in the background, but still actively involved.

ACO22

kandy
October 22nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
While I would hope that the NFL would not take him back, I think that's just wishful thinking. The NFL isn't known for basing player choices on them being a good person - IMO they seem to have a higher percentage of criminals in their organization than the mob. The only way the NFL would not take him back is if the public refused to support whichever team hires him - if it affects their pocketbook, then they might take notice.

I have read that Vick was ordered to pay for the rehabilitation of the dogs, and also that a very big loan he had was called due because he lost his job - so he has suffered financially, which is nothing but a annoyance to him IMO. He'll make back the money 100 times over when the NFL takes him back. And I also read that his father says that dog fighting has been a life long passion of his, so I can't see him suddenly seeing the light on how cruel and inhumane it is (even though I know this is what he is currently preaching). I'm sure he'll go right back to it. I'd also say that he would probably be a lot more cautious about it, but I don't think he has enough brains for that.

ancientgirl
October 22nd, 2008, 03:04 PM
Slap on the wrist. He should have had more time served.

What galls me is, he probably will be taken back by some team. And people are so crazy about sports and making money off sports they will cheer him back. :wall:

BenMax
October 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Slap on the wrist. He should have had more time served.

What galls me is, he probably will be taken back by some team. And people are so crazy about sports and making money off sports they will cheer him back. :wall:

So true - we have a boxer her that molested his children and served some jail time. Came out and went back into boxing. People actually cheered him on in the ring....I don't get it!

ancientgirl
October 22nd, 2008, 05:29 PM
That's sick. There is a serious flaw in the DNA of the human race.:frustrated:

Winston
October 22nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
All I can say is I am so discusted in the laws that are in place! :yuck: