Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Official HomeBody of the Hazel Run Pack

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2008, 12:22 AM
We're thinking that perhaps this will be the last time we take Lady (in Waiting) Ridge out on one of these jaunts through the woods. She's so insecure--for as long as we've had her, she's seemed afraid that we're going to take her into the woods and leave her there. :sad: There's nothing in her history to ever think she's been left anywhere. :shrug: So peculiar.

But Lil Belle wanted to give it one last college try before we just declared Ridge the Official HomeBody of the Hazel Run Pack.

Princess Lil Belle was rarin' to go for a walk in the woods.
She waited patiently while her friend, Lady (in Waiting) Ridge got suited up. But Ridge doesn't like to go for walks in the woods.

"I'd much rather stay here, please!"

But Lil Belle was able to convince Ridge to try a nature hike one more time...and if she didn't like it, then Ridge could be the Official HomeBody of Hazel Run.

So the Hazel Run Daddy loaded Belle and Ridge into the vehicle and before they knew it, they were parked at the head of the trail.

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2008, 12:27 AM
The trail was wide and straight.
"See, Ridge? You can see for miles!" barked Lil Belle. "You can't get lost here!"

But Ridge was already trembling.

Lil Belle found a funky smell in the grass. Ridge turned to the Hazel Run Daddy and asked, "Okay, can we go home now?"

Lil Belle snorted. "Ridge, you have to give this a chance! It's fun! And look at the lovely little popple trees!"

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2008, 12:31 AM
"Stop and smell all the great scents out here, Ridge!"

LadyRidge tried to enjoy the scents but it was all just too scary.
"Can't do it, Lil Belle."

"Well, just come a little further, Ridge. If you stay close to Dad you can't get lost!"

"Dad? Are we almost done?"

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2008, 12:34 AM
They continued walking down the trail till they got to an open glade.
"This smells good," whined Lil Belle. "Let's explore here!"

It certainly looked like a lovely place to investigate.

Lil Belle and the Hazel Run Daddy wanted to check out the edge...
...but LadyRidge still wanted to go home.

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2008, 12:42 AM
Ridge ran back to the Hazel Run Mama.

"Can I hang with you, Mom? They wanna go into the scary brush!"
"Sure, LadyRidge...you stick by me and you can't get lost."

So, while the HRD and the Princess took a little side trip along the edge of the glade, Ridge stayed by the HRM and tried to admire the pretty scenery.

But Ridge still wasn't able to relax. She trembled the whole time and whined softly as the HRD and Lil Belle came back to the trail.
"Please take me home, Daddy!!"

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2008, 12:51 AM
"Okay, Ridge. If you're ready, Belle, let's go back to the truck."

Ridge was much happier now. She was excited to be heading toward the vehicle instead of away from it and started running ahead. She ran all the way back and waited for Lil Belle and the Hazel Run Humans to catch up. As soon as the HRD opened the tailgate, Ridge launched herself up and sailed gracefully into the back of the truck.

The HRD lifted Lil Belle in beside Ridge and reached for the treat bag.

"You were both very good girls. It was very nice of you to try to teach Ridge to like the woods, Lil Belle, but you don't have to come next time if you don't want to, Ridge."
"Nomnomnom" mumbled Ridge. "Thanks, Daddy."

She turned and climbed into her traveling kennel. Lil Belle climbed into the one next to Ridge.
Time to go home.

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2008, 12:57 AM
Five minutes later, they were back at Hazel Run being greeted uproariously by the rest of the Pack.

After Lady (in Waiting) Ridge and Princess Lil Belle had taken off their woods-walking gear, they stood out on the stoop overlooking the Side Yard.

The Pack sat politely as the Princess cleared her throat.
"I now proclaim Lady (in Waiting) Ridge to be the Official HomeBody of the Hazel Run Pack," declared the Princess.

"Oh, thank you so much!" whined Lady (in Waiting) Ridge, giving the Princess a quick kiss.

In the Side Yard, the Pack barked its approval.

The End

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2008, 01:16 AM
Our other two nonhunters, Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie and Amazing Grace went out yesterday. They really enjoy themselves and come back all proud and feeling smug cuz they got a special walk with Dad. :D

Here's a picture of Macie waiting patiently to leave:

And Grace was so proud to be wearing a bell (helps us keep track of where they are if they get into thick brush) like one of the bigger dogs:

hazel didn't get to go with Grace or Macie--Esquire Brier is still working out his separation anxiety issues and Macie and Grace were going farther away for their outings than Lil Belle and Ridge did. We would have left Brier too long, which is traumatic for him.

We were only gone less than an hour with Ridge and Belle today, and when we got home, we found evidence that Brier had been barking and licking the door of his kennel the whole time. :sad:

But at least there was no poop in the kennel! :thumbs up And his stress level (believe it or not from the puddle) was lower than usual! So there's been some progress!

growler~GateKeeper
October 22nd, 2008, 02:12 AM
Awww :grouphug: poor Ridgey gets so scared :sad: something musta happened at some point in the bush before you got her that scared her maybe she lost sight of her people & panicked :shrug:

:thumbs up for being the Official HRP Homebody

That's a big pile of drool :eek: poor Brier :grouphug: boy needs his humans. Does he destroy things if left uncrated? I'm wondering if it's the crate that adds to the anxiety being that he was left in a kennel run alone all the time as a pup?

rainbow
October 22nd, 2008, 02:29 AM
Awwww, poor Ridge :sad: .....she needs to come here and keep Homebody Chase company. :cloud9:

And, give Esquire Brier hugs from me. :grouphug:

Love4himies
October 22nd, 2008, 07:47 AM
Awww poor Lady (in waiting) Ridge. Adventuring is not fun when it is scary :grouphug:

Brier :grouphug:, must get soooooo stressed.

breeze
October 22nd, 2008, 07:52 AM
It's ok Lady Ridge.. a lady is allowed to stay home and keep the others company

and there might come a time when you just might change your mind.. it's a lady's prerogative to change her mind..:D:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2008, 09:22 AM
Except for her first 7 weeks, we know her history. No abandonments/abuse/neglect in it. :shrug: She just has never been fond of running loose. I suppose we should be happy about that. :D

As for Brier, well, he's still pretty much of a puppy. He just turned two but he's still in his paper phase. If he were loose while we're gone, he'd scratch of the doors, the reachable windows would be covered with slobber and all the toilet paper would be eaten! :D

Just the slobber in the kennel, though, is a big step forward. When we first started with him, leaving him for more than 20 minutes would stress him out so much he'd poop in the kennel. :sad:

And he's such a daddy's boy. If hubby, say, walks next door to his folks', Brier whines and cries the whole time. If, however, hubby takes the truck next door, Brier is okay. As long as he leaves in a vehicle, Brier is fine with it. :shrug: Just very peculiar...

If both of us leave, even in a vehicle, though, he stresses. :shrug:

Diamondsmum
October 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
awwwww poor lady ridge & brier too. It sad when they show emoition as I call it. whining & trembling.. ((HUGGS)) to them both from us.

14+kitties
October 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
These stories are certainly riveting. I know I've said that before :rolleyes:. The only thing stopping me from being on the edge of my seat is Bandit sleeping on my knee. Don't want to knock the poor little bugger on the floor.

:thumbs up Great story, great pics! :grouphug: from all of us for Ridge and Brier. :sad:

krdahmer
October 22nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
Aw what a brave gal giving it one last shot! I'm not much of a nature girl myself, so I understand completely! :grouphug: :lovestruck: Poor Brier, he's really got some seperation issues huh :2huggers:... I never asked, or never paid attention:o, but did you have all your guys as puppies or were some older rescues?

Great pics, looked like you had very nice weather.... we had snow here yesturday! :frustrated::yuck: None on the ground, but you know that floating through the air wet stuff warning us that it's time to winterproof everything! :rolleyes: (hubby and I are a bit behind this year)

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks, DM and Geri. Ridge is a very happy camper today. I was changing the bird bath in the basement garden this morning--I looked up and there was Ridge smiling down at me with her tail wagging. Normally she just lies up there and naps. I got the definite feeling she was thanking me for letting her come home! :rolleyes: :D But she's in a very good mood! :thumbs up

Brier forgets all about his trials and tribulations as soon as we get home and he's running free in the back yard. Ah, the resilience of the very young... :dog:

kr, we've only had Cole and Ember since they were wee pups. Cass was 9 months; Lil Belle was 2 yrs; Ridge and Macie were 18 months; Grace was just shy of 2 yrs; and Brier was about 10 months of age. Brier and Macie were rescued from the same place at different times :frustrated: but under similar circumstances--they were isolated in outdoor kennels with very little canine or human interaction. The only difference was that Macie wasn't rescued till she was a year old and Brier was only there for 6 months. Both have had some issues from the lack of socialization, but Macie's are more severe. She doesn't have much separation anxiety, but she's 'backward' in a lot of other ways. Brier is making up for lost time by leaps and bounds and I think he'll be better adjusted...if we can get the separation anxiety thing in hand. He's really a very nice boy, even with SA issues. :cloud9:

Interestingly, Ridge is not a rescue. She was a house dog from day one, well-treated, with lots of socialization. :shrug:

Frenchy
October 22nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
"Please take me home, Daddy!!"

oh poor girl :sad: but the pictures are great :cloud9: :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
oh poor girl :sad: but the pictures are great :cloud9: :lovestruck:

What was funny was that once she was home, she was rather full of herself. Sort of like she was showing off: "See? I get to go on special trips, too! I'm hot stuff..."

But I can guarantee that if we tried to get her out again, she'd be just as uncomfortable out there. :rolleyes: Silly gurl!!! Who ever heard of a dog that didn't like to run and play off leash? :p

ancientgirl
October 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM
Nothing wrong with being a homebody.:D

krdahmer
October 22nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
I guess it's all just different personalities and individual quirks then!:lovestruck: That pack certainly knew how to choose a great home, that's for sure!!! HRM & HRD seem to be just what they needed! :thumbs up

babymomma
October 22nd, 2008, 06:26 PM
OMG, and english setter that doesnt like the woods?! I didnt think it was possible. My uncles girls Absolutely LOVE going for hikes through the trails!

pbpatti
October 22nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Hazel great pictures, I love the one of the PUDDLE that Brier left, sad for the reason he left it though, poor baby just does not like to be left behind. Sasha leaves almost that amount waiting for a treat, one of these days I thinks she may drown me.

Frenchy
October 22nd, 2008, 07:20 PM
I didn't see the Brier's drool pic earlier (and didn't have time to read all the posts) poor baby , he loves you guys so much :lovestruck:

And it is pretty weird that Ridge doesn't like to be free out in the woods. Maybe it is a form of anxiety , too much freedom for her ? She needs to be close to you and hubby ? :shrug: anyhow , she must be sooo relieved to not have to go back :thumbs up and tell her if your yard gets too big for her , and she gets anxious , auntie Frenchy has a smaller yard :D

luckypenny
October 22nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
I think you need someone to come stay with the homebodies while you, dh, and the rest of the pack go walking the woods (will Macie be staying home too :goodvibes:?)

Is there a video function on your new camera? I used to leave mine on for the times I left Lucky so I could see exactly what went on when I left.

The pics and story are amazing, as always :thumbs up.

She's so insecure--for as long as we've had her, she's seemed afraid that we're going to take her into the woods and leave her there. :sad: There's nothing in her history to ever think she's been left anywhere. :shrug: So peculiar.

Weird, with Lucky it's the reverse. He can be so timid indoors and with people around but is in his glory when in the woods. A completely different dog :shrug:.

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
AG, I agree. madame hazel is a stalwart homebody herself! :D So she and Ridge hang together. :thumbs up

Isn't it amazing the gamut of personalities animals portray, kr? All different...each with their own 'flavor'. :cloud9:

Hard to believe, isn't it babymomma? :laughing: Ridge is our little odd duck! What's really amazing is that if she puts her mind to it she runs fast and strong as a cheetah! :eek: She just usually doesn't bother to show her stuff. :D

pbp, Brier leaves gobs while he's waiting to eat, too...usually not that viscous, though. The 'waiting to eat' slingers are frothier! :laughing:

Ridge was all packed and ready to go, Frenchy, but then she realized she'd have to leave the yard to get there... :rolleyes: She says Auntie Frenchy should come here. :dog:

Frenchy
October 22nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
I think you need someone to come stay with the homebodies while you, dh, and the rest of the pack go walking the woods (will Macie be staying home too :goodvibes:?)

LP , http://bestsmileys.com/nono/1.gif , you got this all wrong , Hazel and hubby only , have to take a looooong walk in the woods ...... leaving the pack all ALONE ....... and UNSUPERVISE ...... :whistle:

luckypenny
October 22nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
LP , http://bestsmileys.com/nono/1.gif , you got this all wrong , Hazel and hubby only , have to take a looooong walk in the woods ...... leaving the pack all ALONE ....... and UNSUPERVISE ...... :whistle:

Are you planning on setting a couple of booby traps in the woods or shall I just park the camper up the road? :D

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM

Macie likes woods walks. She's got different problems than Brier does--SA is not a problem with her. :shrug: Amazing how their sad starts affected them so differently. But we could sure use a homebody-sitter, so you'd be welcome any time! We generally take one or two dogs at a time so you'd have plenty to keep you company while we're out! :D

Is there a video function on your new camera? I used to leave mine on for the times I left Lucky so I could see exactly what went on when I left.

I have a video camera, but I usually take it along. We're pretty sure he licks nonstop and I think he's barking most of the time--he was a big hoarse when we got home... :sad: But at least it seems like the stress pooping phase might be over :fingerscr

The pics and story are amazing, as always :thumbs up.

:o Thanks, LP!

Weird, with Lucky it's the reverse. He can be so timid indoors and with people around but is in his glory when in the woods. A completely different dog :shrug:.

Wow! They're almost exactly opposite! :eek: Ridge loves people and is quite demanding of attention--nudges hands and sits at feet, begging for pats if you let her. But she totally panics if you take her away from home! Interestingly, she likes rides if they end up at the vet--it's familiar and there are people there to give her attention. You can't keep her off the exam table :D She keeps jumping up on it all by herself. Even when it's not her turn. :laughing:

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
:laughing: :laughing: You guys and your plots!!! We're guarded with a Setter Tongue Security System...no one gets through unchapped! :laughing:

Frenchy
October 22nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Are you planning on setting a couple of booby traps in the woods or shall I just park the camper up the road? :D

Camper ? No need , you're getting a moving truck soon right ? :D

http://bestsmileys.com/cars/15.gif

luckypenny
October 22nd, 2008, 08:49 PM

Yeah, we'll just have to figure out a way to convince the driver that we need to detour to Wisconsin to pick up some belongings :laughing:.

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2008, 08:49 PM

:laughing: Don't forget the DVD player back there...the Pack doesn't travel without entertainment. :D

luckypenny
October 22nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
:laughing: Don't forget the DVD player back there...the Pack doesn't travel without entertainment. :D

Oh, they'll have the couches and beds and tv's and everything , HRP :D.

Frenchy
October 22nd, 2008, 08:57 PM

I'll entertain them :cloud9:

Frenchy
October 22nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
LP , have you seen Hazel's new foster ?

luckypenny
October 22nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Just the photo but haven't had time to read the whole thread yet :o. DOn't worry, we can take him/them with us :D.

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2008, 10:01 PM
Oh, they'll have the couches and beds and tv's and everything , HRP

I'll entertain them :cloud9:

Okay, then! :thumbs up The Pack will be content! :D

:eek: hazel! What are you saying! :eek: :o

Oh...wait...:thankyou: madame hazel! The Pack ain't goin' knoware, hay! :frustrated:

Just the photo but haven't had time to read the whole thread yet :o. DOn't worry, we can take him/them with us :D.

He's having quite some interesting adventures here... :rolleyes: :crazy:

growler~GateKeeper
October 23rd, 2008, 12:09 AM
And he's such a daddy's boy. If hubby, say, walks next door to his folks', Brier whines and cries the whole time. If, however, hubby takes the truck next door, Brier is okay. As long as he leaves in a vehicle, Brier is fine with it. :shrug: Just very peculiar...

If both of us leave, even in a vehicle, though, he stresses. :shrug:

That is probably the longer view of HRD leaving, he can still see him walking away, where as getting in the truck is a daily occurance & he (being inside the truck) is out of view instantly. If you both leave he knows there's no one home.

hazelrunpack
October 23rd, 2008, 12:17 AM
I'm just glad that that's the paradigm Brier has adopted for his world--cuz otherwise those days of Daddy being at work would be extreeeemely long ones for Mommy! :rolleyes:

rainbow
October 23rd, 2008, 12:19 AM
He's having quite some interesting adventures here... :rolleyes: :crazy:

Yep.....Cerberus and His Adventure Stories need to become a regular feature here. :D