Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm freaked out.

Stacer
October 21st, 2008, 07:45 PM
*female stuff alert*

I need to write a post to make myself feel better.

I had a regular dr appointment last week (physical etc...), and I mentioned that I've had a tender breast off and on for a few months. She examined it and didn't feel anything, but decided to schedule an ultrasound anyway (as well as a pelvic to make sure my junk is OK for making babies, but that's another story). I also had a bunch of routine bloodwork done.

So I had my bloodwork done this saturday and my ultrasounds done yesterday (at a private ultrasound clinic, perhaps more efficient than the hospital?). When I got home from work today the drs office calls and all my test results are in, I feel like it's way too fast and that means there may be bad news. I'm scared ****less. The receptionist didn't give me any reason to feel like it was serious, she didn't say that I needed to come in immediately or anything.

I'm not good at coping in situations like these, my imagination gets the better of me everytime. I'm so stressed and exhausted from worrying, I think I'm going to go to sleep so I don't have to think about it.

My appointment isn't until 330 tomorrow adn I know I'll go crazy tomorrow waiting for it.

Diamondsmum
October 21st, 2008, 08:18 PM
awwww Stacer I am exactly the same way... esp having to wait till tomorrow,

sending :grouphug::pray: That all is ok

onster
October 21st, 2008, 08:20 PM
:grouphug::grouphug: I hope everything will be ok....try not to worry ( i know easier said than done). IF it helps at all my lil bro got an xray on his foot and he got called the next day too for an appt and there was nothing wrong (it was also private clinic).

joeysmama
October 21st, 2008, 08:36 PM
Take a deep breath. The vast majority of times these things are nothing. When I was in my thirties I had tender breasts and cysts all the time. I was constantly going to the doctor for breast exams in between my regular appts. I had extra mammos and ultrasounds all the time. It got so that anytime I saw a white coat I thought I had to take off my shirt. (A little embarassing when I took off my shirt for the butcher.:laughing:)

I wouldn't worry about them calling you quickly. It sounds as though they're just more efficient. Honestly they can read them right away, they just normally don't tell you the results until the dr or radiologist is available because the technician isn't allowed to tell you. Where I have my mammogram done they tell me within the half hour. I don't get dressed. I go into the waiting room in my gown and read a magazine until they call me back. And they always make me come back to do a close up mammo on what spot or another. Scares the crap out of me every time but they're just being prudent.

Keep us posted. :fingerscr that tomorrow at this time you'll be feeling relieved !!

hazelrunpack
October 21st, 2008, 08:41 PM
First off, if it's something very serious they usually tell you so over the phone so as to make sure you get in asap. You've got an appointment for tomorrow so you'll know soon enough. And you'll worry yourself to a frazzle if you dwell on it, hon. :grouphug:

:goodvibes: for good news tomorrow! :thumbs up And after you get it--give 'em hell for worrying you! :D

wdawson
October 21st, 2008, 08:43 PM
i know i'm a guy and should have headed for the hills...but...we went through alot this year with a few medical scares and let me say that waiting is the worst.

Frenchy
October 21st, 2008, 08:51 PM
I know it's probably not easy but ... wait until you get the results. Don't panic just yet. It's probably all fine hun. :grouphug:

14+kitties
October 21st, 2008, 09:01 PM
:grouphug: for you. Sending lots of :goodvibes: for a good appt.

growler~GateKeeper
October 22nd, 2008, 02:23 AM
:grouphug: Stacer :goodvibes: everything'll be fine :goodvibes:

rainbow
October 22nd, 2008, 03:05 AM
I agree with everyone....you're probably worrying for nothing. :grouphug:

Melinda
October 22nd, 2008, 06:02 AM
my sis works in a dr's office, gyno, and if the tests results aren't really good she will phone the patient and ask for her and her hubby to come in. I had an ultra sound done at a private clinic and was surprised when two days later they had the results at my doctors!!

Love4himies
October 22nd, 2008, 06:37 AM
Oh Stacer :grouphug:, I know the wait is so difficult. If it was serious they would ask you to bring DH in with you. I am sure all is going to be OK. :goodvibes:

kathryn
October 22nd, 2008, 07:20 AM
I hope you are doing okay. I know how you feel... but when it is something bad they probably would have asked you to come in sooner. The nurse or receptionist legally can not give you any information though.

I have had lots of tests done before and have had to sit and wait.... I get migraines and had to get an MRI on my head "just incase" and jeeze, I was like omg omg omg omg until I went back for my appointment a week later. Turned out I was fine and the migraines are just regular ol' migraines like lots of girls get.

Lots of hugs to you. :cat:

Stacer
October 22nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks everyone, hearing other people's stories makes me feel better for sure. They didn't ask me to bring Nathan, but I'm making him come with me :o. I called in sick to work today, I'd rather be at home making myself busy with the furries than be at work thinking about it while I'm doing my tasks alone.

I'll let you know how it goes this afternoon.

Thanks for all the good vibes.

Ford Girl
October 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
Keep us posted and dont stress until you know more.

They probably called so quick cuz it's a private clinic, and you are right - whent hey find something alarming - they tell you to see your doc immediatly. I know this from ultra sounds I've had.

Good luck with your women parts and your "junk" - if you ever need to chat about that aspect - Im your girl...done every test, poked, prodded, pinched and flipped upside down and turned around, hokey pokeyed...all for the sake of baby making. LOL!

Stacer
October 22nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
I'm back from my appointment.

It is with great relief that I say that I have a small cyst in my boob, nothing to be concerned about.

The weight on my chest is gone, I felt like a million bucks when I walked out of there.

Thank you for all your words of encouragement, they really did make a difference with helping to mentally calm myself. I get myself so worked up and hearing people tell me I'll be OK makes a huge difference. :goodvibes::goodvibes:

14+kitties
October 22nd, 2008, 06:58 PM
:grouphug: to you hon. I am so glad it was nothing more serious than a cyst. Please keep a close eye on those precious bumps we woman are blessed with. As you probably know I recently lost my wonderful Mom to cancer which started out as breast cancer. She would have been 82 yesterday.

I know what you mean about being freaked out about your health. I am the same way but internalize instead of sharing. It helps to share! :grouphug:

Diamondsmum
October 22nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
awwwwwww ((HUGG))) Stacer I am glad it is nothing to worry about & also glad you shared. sending huggs to you.

Frenchy
October 22nd, 2008, 07:11 PM
Woohoo Stacer ! :thumbs up

I don't know why they just don't tell you these things over the phone :frustrated:

:grouphug:

aslan
October 22nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
Oh that's great news stacer i'm soooo glad everything is ok.:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2008, 08:00 PM
WooooHoooooo! :highfive:

Good deal, Stacer! :grouphug: What great news!

Stacer
October 22nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks everyone! It really is great to be able to talk about crap that's going on and get support even though most of us have never met, it truly was appreciated.

Frenchy
October 22nd, 2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks everyone! It really is great to be able to talk about crap that's going on and get support even though most of us have never met, it truly was appreciated.

No problemo Stacer , now please send check to P.O Box 666 ..... :D

Stacer
October 22nd, 2008, 08:18 PM
No problemo Stacer , now please send check to P.O Box 666 ..... :D

PO box 666???:eek: You're not the devil are you Frenchy? :evil:

aslan
October 22nd, 2008, 08:20 PM

lol, you seriously have to ask that, stacer you must spend some evening time in the tjt.:laughing:

luckypenny
October 22nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
:goodvibes: Great news Stacer!!! :grouphug:

Frenchy
October 22nd, 2008, 08:22 PM

lol, you seriously have to ask that, stacer you must spend some evening time in the tjt.:laughing:

Like I always say , I'm like mini wheats , I have 2 sides :angel: & :evil:

Melanie1010
October 22nd, 2008, 08:54 PM
Thats great news Stacer! Glad to hear everything went OK!

Schwinn
October 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
I came in here to say I had the same thing happen once (I mean, the call about the dr wanting to talk about test results, not my female junk...I think my female junk is okay:D) They called me on a Friday, and said, "The dr wants to see you as soon as possible."
"Oh oh! That can't be good" I said neverously.
"Yeeeaaa...can you come in Monday?"
"Uh, ah, ye-yes..."
"Okay, have a good weekend."

LONGEST. WEEKEND. EVAR! (and not in a good way)

I'm glad everything is fine!

(Oh, and the end of my story is that I didn't die, so it's all good)

kathryn
October 22nd, 2008, 09:25 PM
Glad you are okay. I agree, it is a pain in the butt when they don't just tell you the simple things over the phone. Of course, just keep an eye out that more cysts don't pop up or that one does not get larger or start to get too itchy or really sore. I think boob cysts can go away lol so I hope yours goes away and doesn't bug you ever again!!! stupid mean cyst making Stacer all upset... grrrrr :evil:

:grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
October 23rd, 2008, 12:18 AM
good to hear it wasn't anything too serious :highfive:

rainbow
October 23rd, 2008, 12:31 AM
That's great news Stacer. :highfive:

Melinda
October 23rd, 2008, 04:45 AM
so glad everything turned out well!! *huggers*

Dog Dancer
October 23rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Stacer, just saw this thread today, and wish I could have been supportive in advance, but wanted to say "Glad to hear it all turned out okay!" Such a huge relief.

Several years back when I had my first mammogram they told me it would take a few days for my Dr. to get the results and I'd get a letter. No problem, I wasn't expecting anything at all. The next day I had a msg on my phone from the Dr. office asking me to call!!!:eek: I dialed and hung up fifteen times... I was sure I was going to die, they called me before they were even supposed to have the results so it had to be horrible right!! So finally I sucked up my courage and finished placing the call and the receptionist said "Oh I'm having a quiet day and so I thought I'd call and book people's yearly physicals, you're due in about a month did you want to book an appt??" I told her how badly she had scared me and we both had a chuckle over it. I booked my yearly and they called me a couple days later to say everything was fine with the mammo. I feel your stress sister... Again, so glad it turned out fine for you! Yay.

BenMax
October 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
i know i'm a guy and should have headed for the hills...but...we went through alot this year with a few medical scares and let me say that waiting is the worst.

Guys are so welcome. It gives us the man's perspective, sometimes we women forget about how YOU feel as well. It's all relevant.

Stacer
October 23rd, 2008, 03:38 PM
I wonder if docs/receptionists know just how scared people get when they're not expecting tests results so soon. I think if they get results back early they should sit on them until the time frame they originally gave you is up :) Save us all from having mini heart attacks.

I wasn't expecting any results for more than a week and they were in the very next day. What am I supposed to think???:yell: I'm dying, that's what.

I'm just glad it's all over and I can relax. Sigh...

kandy
October 23rd, 2008, 04:55 PM
I'm glad that everything turned out fine! Just for what it's worth, I have 'dense' breasts and for the first 3 years of having mammo's, I had to have them every 6 months. One time two summers ago, my son's newf stepped on my chest while he was wrestling with Hazel. Anyway, about a week later I developed a fairly big lump that was sore - and of course I freaked out and went to my doctor right away. She told me that if the lump is painful or tender, chances are it is not cancer. It wasn't until later that I realized where the lump likely came from - the big oaf.

There was an article recently in the Reader's Digest that said a new form of mammo machine is going to be available very soon!! YAY!!!!!! I for one have a terrible time with the whole 'flatten it to the thickness of a thin pancake' machine - and because of my build, they literally bruise me every single time trying to squash it flat. The new machine is basically an ultrasound (which is more accurate anyway) and the woman lays on a table with holes cut in the anatomically correct spots so that the machine can take 3D pictures. I can't wait for my area to get one of these machines!!!!!!

Stacer
October 23rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
That machine sound like it would be much more comfortable. Luckily I didn't have to have mammogram, just the relaxing ultrasound.

Love4himies
October 24th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Glad to hear everything is going to be OK:thumbs up

joeysmama
October 24th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I'm so happy for you. Iknow that feeling of walking out after you get good news. You feel on top of the world. There's nothing like it.:thumbs up

My friend's sister had a test in one of those machines where you lie on your tummy and "the girls" fall through two holes on the bottom of the table. She said it was more comfortable, and a lot less painful but she felt ridiculous.

Two other people have told me about a machine that you sit in front of and it doesn't flatten or even touch you. I have no idea what it is but I suspect it's expensive and I wonder if insurance covers the new tests.

I have a full body scan once a year but my doctor still makes me have a mammo to be extra sure.

mona_b
October 24th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I'm so glad everything turned out....:thumbs up

My mother lost both her breasts to cancer.:sad:..A co-worker lost one of her breasts...:sad:

I have been getting checked since my 20"s..I don't get the Mammo,I have them do an ultrsound.My Gyno suggested this cause sometimes it just won't show up with a Mammo.This is what happened with my co-worker.And I have little boobies and the is no way they are going to flatten them.They do and my boobies will go poof and dissapear...:D

In my moms case,a couple of the lumps were sore.Every woman is different.

Oh,and men need to be tested also.

I was listening to the radio this morning(Chum FM)..They were talking about it.A women called in and had said that she lost her BIL to breast cancer.So guys,it's not just for us women.It's for you too.

Stacer
October 24th, 2008, 09:08 PM
It's true, my uncle had a lump in his pec (we'll call it that so the guys don't get weirded out by calling them breasts). It turned out to be a benign tumour, but freaky nonetheless.

I think the reason I was so scared is that my bro's GF is only in her early 30s and she's had a double mastectomy and my cousin's wife, same age as me, was just diagnosed with breast cancer. It's hitting women at much younger ages now, and that's scary. And unfortunately not alot of cancer reasearch is not done for people in my age range and younger, but focused mainly on cancer affecting those 40+. Very similar to how heart disease in women isn't researched as much as heart disease in men because women aren't as affected by heart disease (presumabley)

Karin
October 24th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I know I haven't been around for a few days, glad to hear your boobies are going to be ok Stacer.
Just a little info here. I have been down the breast cancer road, there is a reason it's called the "silent killer" and why self exams and check ups are so important. Breast cancer rarely causes pain or the sense of being uncomfortable. Many people diagnosed with stage 4, with 6 months or less to live, had any signs except maybe a lump. Some, one which was a close personal friend, did not even feel the lump. Her tumor was imbedded in the chest wall.
By the time these tumors are found, the cancer has already moved to the brain, lungs or spine. (Most common areas) If a breast cancer patient dies of lung cancer the cod is still breast cancer.
My boob jury is still out right now. I do not know if I am clear.
So get your boobs squished girls! The life you save may be your own! And guys....yes GUYS!
I know two men that have had breast cancer, so do not think it cannot happen to you!
Learn the self exam and do it...it is easier for you to do, trust me.

Stacer
October 25th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Wow Karin, I truly hope that everything comes back negative for you. Please let us know what you're results are when you get them.

My little scare is nothing compared to what other women are going through. I've always regularly checked myself, mainly out of paranoia after my grandfather died, but as I'm getting older it's more important and I'm still many years away from being able to have regular mammograms, so feeling myself up is mandatory. :D