Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What's up in wicked catland?

ancientgirl
October 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM
I haven't posted a lot these last couple weeks. Work has been a little busy, but it's easing up slightly. So what's up with the gang? Not a whole lot.

Czarina is doing well. My girl is getting a pooch! I've got to cut back a bit on her snacks, on all their snacks actually. I need to take her in soon though because she needs to have her teeth cleaned. I've just got to get the money for that, which hopefully I'll have by Christmas.

I took Maks in for his Junior Wellness exam yesterday. The vet tech took him to the back room to get his blood and when she brought him back, she'd taken blood from his neck. I didn't like that. Vlad, Oksana and Czarina have all had their blood taken from their back leg. Kiska is next to get her check up and I'm going to ask them to take it from her leg, as I just feel like it is probably more painful getting it from the neck, and certainly more scary for them.

The rest of the exam was done by Dr. Tess, she's their normal vet. She said he's one of the best looking cats she's seen. His ears are spotless, teeth white, no nose boogies, slim and trim. She's very impressed with Maks. :D

The rest of the gang are doing well. Vlad is being Vlad, bullying Oksana every chance he gets. Oksana pretty much tries to avoid Vlad, but now and them she's able to whack him over the head for good measure. Kiska I think has taken on the title of chatteriest kitty on the face of the earth. Sheesh! It's like she's always yelling at me for something.

I have to post some pictures soon. I took a few this past weekend and I'll try to get more.

Oh, one quick question to you guys. I've been feeding the gang Wellness for several months now, and I've noticed in the last week or so they haven't been eating all of their food. When I put their food down I get the sniff and walk away thing. I've been feeding them the 12oz cans and unfortunately I can only find those at Petco and they only have two flavors on sale. Could they just be tired of the flavors or is it time I start looking for another food? I could try Innova or Evo, I think there's a shop that sells them in 12oz.

I'm still trying to keep my food spending down for me and them. I'm still afraid of market brands since I still don't trust their ingredients.

14+kitties
October 21st, 2008, 12:33 PM
Glad everything is going smoothly!! :thumbs up
My guys are turning their nose up at Wellness too. Must be something in the water. :shrug: I hope they haven't changed the formula but I have a feeling they are just being cats.....picky! They have no problem pigging out on FF.
We have just had Wellness go up in price again. That's twice in the last couple of months. It is $2.99 now at Pet Valu. I am switching to Ruffins. I did a price check in there and it was $2.59. Quite a difference.

Love4himies
October 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM
I took Maks in for his Junior Wellness exam yesterday. The vet tech took him to the back room to get his blood and when she brought him back, she'd taken blood from his neck. I didn't like that. Vlad, Oksana and Czarina have all had their blood taken from their back leg. Kiska is next to get her check up and I'm going to ask them to take it from her leg, as I just feel like it is probably more painful getting it from the neck, and certainly more scary for them.

Good for Maks :thumbs up

The rest of the gang are doing well. Vlad is being Vlad, bullying Oksana every chance he gets.

He just wants to play with her, mom :lovestruck:

Oksana pretty much tries to avoid Vlad, but now and them she's able to whack him over the head for good measure.
Gotta keep the guys in line :D
Kiska I think has taken on the title of chatteriest kitty on the face of the earth. Sheesh! It's like she's always yelling at me for something.

Oh, one quick question to you guys. I've been feeding the gang Wellness for several months now, and I've noticed in the last week or so they haven't been eating all of their food. When I put their food down I get the sniff and walk away thing. I've been feeding them the 12oz cans and unfortunately I can only find those at Petco and they only have two flavors on sale. Could they just be tired of the flavors or is it time I start looking for another food? I could try Innova or Evo, I think there's a shop that sells them in 12oz.

That happens to Jasper and Puddles too. Jasper refused Wellness, so I started him on Instinct, now he is back to Wellness again and Puddles now prefers Instinct :shrug:. Not sure why?

Ohhhhhh pics soon :cloud9:

Love4himies
October 21st, 2008, 12:36 PM
Glad everything is going smoothly!! :thumbs up
My guys are turning their nose up at Wellness too. Must be something in the water. :shrug: I hope they haven't changed the formula but I have a feeling they are just being cats.....picky! They have no problem pigging out on FF.
We have just had Wellness go up in price again. That's twice in the last couple of months. It is $2.99 now at Pet Valu. I am switching to Ruffins. I did a price check in there and it was $2.59. Quite a difference.

I was told by a clerk at Global, that prices on pet food is going up constantly these last few months.

ancientgirl
October 21st, 2008, 12:40 PM
14+, if I set out FF for them, they'd scarf it down in an instant! Maybe I should give that to them a few nights a week, just to give them something different. :shrug: My Petco also raised the 12oz cans from $1.99 to $2.39. :frustrated: Man, you'd think they'd want to give multiple pet households some sort of bulk discount. :D

L4H, I'll be getting Maks' results in a day or so, but I'm sure he'll be healthy as a horse. I'm going to see if I can find Instinct. I've also been wondering about the Paul Newman foods. I don't know anyone who's ever tried it on their cats though.

Oh, and I forgot to say, I've managed to get Czarina off her medication. I was giving it to her every other day, but I've stopped.

Love4himies
October 21st, 2008, 01:02 PM
I think Natural Balance has grains in it so I haven't tried it. If Jasper eats any grains he gets the runs and very itchy eyes, so no food with grains is allowed in the house. :laughing:.

ancientgirl
October 21st, 2008, 01:13 PM
I've been trying to keep my gang away from grains (um, of course let's not talk about the pasta they snag now and then), so I don't want anything too grainy either in case they might get poops too.

phoozles
October 21st, 2008, 02:17 PM
Haven't had a problem with my gang eating Wellness, but then, they'll eat anything :rolleyes: All three of them are little piggies!

I have noticed the prices of canned food go up though :frustrated: Good thing my local pet store has a rewards program - I think you buy 10 cases and get one for free - and I'm one case away from a free one :thumbs up

ancientgirl
October 21st, 2008, 02:26 PM
It's awful how much they've gone up. My Petco doesn't have that for Wellness. They do that for dry foods. I wish though they did that with the canned. Heck, I'd be getting free cases pretty often. I buy 14 can's every 7 days.

krdahmer
October 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM
That happened to us here with the Merricks, so far no noses turned up at Wellness though, but I have been feeding Palomine something called Almo Nature, ingredients read "tuna, water, cheese" and "chicken, water". I found it at a pet store while I was at the in-laws this weekend. Plus since I've been giving him that in the morning, he's also been snacking on the dry food! Woo. http://www.almonature.co.uk/index.php?lng=3

Glad to hear all is well at your house... been busy here myself... don't have but 20 min now to catch up... next stop... pictures! ;)

ancientgirl
October 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM
Yeah, what have YOU been up to. I haven't seen you around either. I figured you must be busy too.

I'm going to check that site out. It looks like you have to send a request to see where they sell it.:shrug:

I'm happy things are going well here with the gang. Czari is off the meds which is great. I never wanted to keep her on them for a really long time, and it's been about 6 months. She's sitting on my lap right now, watching me type. LOL.

krdahmer
October 21st, 2008, 07:38 PM
That's awesome!:lovestruck: Fagan took it for almost 8 months, by about the 5th month he started getting really blah, and gaining a lot of weight, so I was glad we decided to take him off it too. He may need the shots for his belly more often, but at least he is happy and acitve.

ancientgirl
October 21st, 2008, 08:23 PM
I have noticed she's a bit chunky. She is eating better than before, and more often. Before I could only buy her dry because it had to be kept outside, and she only ate once a day. Now she eats twice a day and she gets canned, so I think I expected her to gain a little weight. But I'm hoping once she's had the meds out of her system she'll even out a bit.

Also, she's been inside since I believe May, so she's had a while to get used to the others and vice versa. I think at this point she's used to them and has a better feel about them. She seems happy and I think she's adjusted very well. My intention was to have her on the meds to ease the stress of being put into a situation with 4 strange cats, in a strange apartment, not being able to be outside and not knowing me very well. She's had a lot of time to get adjusted to everything and has done really well.

I do still have two refills for her prescription. I'll keep that handy, I may need a few now and then, you never know.