Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi - New to the Forum

PennyRuf
October 21st, 2008, 09:33 AM
Hope someone out there can give me some advice. We got a 5 month old puggle and having problems training her to go outside. She is crated at night and we get up with her every 4 to 5 hours to let her out. When we are around she is on a leash to try to correct her nipping and going after our other dog a 6 year old Bernese X. She will do her thing outside but 5 minutes after she comes in she try to piddle on the floor. We tell her no and scoop her out to put her outside. She does not whine or give any indication that she needs to go she just goes. I am at my witts end. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Soter
October 21st, 2008, 11:29 AM
Hi, welcome to the forum... I can say for all of us- pictures please! I love puggles!!

About your problem. There was another case of this on the forum not long ago, and all i can give is the advice i remember from there (i'm not quite the expert) :o

well, as i'm quite sure you are doing, praise her crazily, give loadza treats, all that stuff when she does go outside, but whenever she goes inside, say NO firmly, but don't shout, and take her outside very quickly. Even if she is finished before getting outside wait for a few minutes anyway, but because she did nothing, do not praise her. Also, in the scenario when she goes inside, ignore her for about ten minutesafter, but when she goes succesfully outside, play ball with her, or give her a few extra treats after playing something. the ignoring thing will probably work, i saw it on a dog-trainer programme where the dog did basically the same thing as you described. It went away pretty fast with consistency, but it all depends on the dog really.

check with your vet just to make sure it isn't a urinary infection, i highly doubt it is, but you can never be too careful.

Hope it all goes well!

Soter

Tundra_Queen
October 22nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry I can't help u with your pup problems, but I know there are lots of folks here who can.

Debbie