Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hiya!

Luvmypitgirls
October 21st, 2008, 02:19 AM
Whoa, the Pets.ca withdrawls have finally ended!
I haven't had a computer for the past few weeks, we finally got it back from the repair shop yesterday.

I would like to announce the fact that we have a furry house guest, that may become a permanent family member.
The other night when I arrived home from a evening out, I heard something hit the side of my vehicle while I was parking.
I jumped out and there shaking itself off was a cute little bunny. I knelt down and it came right to me. Obviously it's a pet bunny that was either tossed out or ran away.
I am putting up flyers in the neighborhood to see if I can locate the owners.
If nobody responds, well then I have to decide to either keep it or send it to a rescue or the SPCA.
I know absolutely nothing about rabbits other then they are really cute!
Right now it resides in my XL dog crate, if we decide to keep it then I will get it a proper rabbit house. I need to get it a halter so I can excercise it on a leash. I've named it "Sweet~pea", my son and hubby call it "Playboy" :rolleyes:
I'm going to give it two weeks for someone to respond to the posters, I didn't add a picture, I did state that anyone claiming the bunny would have to give a very detailed description.
Anyway other than that nothing much has happened since I've been away.
It's great to be back, now I have to go and look thru the picture threads:)

rainbow
October 21st, 2008, 02:27 AM
Hi LMPG, good to see you here again. :highfive:

Poor little bunny :sad: but it couldn't have run into anyone better than you. :angel:

I don't know anything about rabbits either but there are a few members here that have them as pets so you will get lots of help if you need it. :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
October 21st, 2008, 02:39 AM
Welcome back LMPG :highfive: was wondering where you were & what you & the grrls were up to :goodvibes:

I agree, something told the bunny whose door to go knocking on :D

Hope all is well in your house :goodvibes:

Love4himies
October 21st, 2008, 08:46 AM
Welcome back :thumbs up

You rescued a sweet little bunny and you didn't post any pics :yell: :frustrated: :D

kathryn
October 21st, 2008, 09:01 AM
Ohh I thought someone was missing :frustrated: Welcome back!

I have had a bunny for about 10 years. They are very easy to take care of. Just ask my mom! I became allergic to him, so she has to take care of him :laughing: They really are super easy pets though so keep him!!! I suggest as long as weather permitting, get him a hutch for outback. My bunny lives in a hutch that has a wooden indoor house and then an outdoor cage part. He likes it very much and it was not too expensive. Indoor rabbits, even potty trained ones, still poop on the rug. My friends from a while ago had an indoor bunny and he was litter box trained but they still had to vacuum the floor all the time and it was stinky.

For feeding, I buy the grain in the bag. Just whatever brand you find cheap as long as it doesn't have preservatives or something in it is fine. I hate to admit it, but my rabbit eats Hartz brand rabbit food of all things :yell: . We started it on him a long time ago, and then I found out Hartz was an awful company, so we tried new brands and he wouldn't eat it :rolleyes: And since he's already ancient (12+ years old) I'd rather not mess with his diet at this point.

A fresh water bottle daily is easy to do as well. Provide a wide variety of snacks is most important. My bunny love carrots of course, but we feed him other things as well. The best thing we found to do was go to this place that sells only produce and plants, and just buy a big box of random veggies for a couple bucks. If he doesn't like that particular thing, no big deal. He cares for celery, apple cores, pears, bread, broccoli rabe and just other various greens.

Take them for walks though. They can't be kept in a cage all the time. I try to get my bunny out when I can, but since I'm allergic my mom has to do all the work. During the summer we just get him out of his cage, put him in a cat carrier and bring him to my grandmoms and let him loose in the yard. My yard is too small and is concrete, but her yard is large and properly fenced in and has some grass.

Haha :D so.... good luck either finding his owners or keeping him!!!!!!!!! !!!!! BUNNIES ARE AWESOME!! but slightly boring when they feel like being lazy :p

Luvmypitgirls
October 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM
Hi Kathyrn

Thanks for the tips on bunny care.
The day after the bunny came into our house I made a trip to the pet store, and bought hay, premium rabbit food, and rabbit chews made of compressed berries and vegies, and a water bottle. I was going to buy a proper rabbit cage, but then decided not to until I am sure that I'm cut out for bunny ownership.

I went to check on it this morning, and it had scattered it's food all over the place, and shoved the shavings out the door onto the floor!:frustrated: Omg what a mess!

I seen one of those rabbit hutches at the pet store for 104.00 bucks, if I do decide to keep it I will probably get one of those, but I don't think I'd keep it outside because the winters here can get really cold plus we have many cats that prowl the neighborhood. This bunny doesn't like cats, it totally freaked out when my cats went into the room to investigate what was in the crate.
It does seem to quite like my dogs though, especially Abby. Abby has kind of taken the bunny under her wing. She lays infront of the crate and if the other dogs go near it, she growls and runs them off. I caught her licking the bunny through the crate door too. When I was petting the bunny last night Abby came in and kissed it and the bunny nuzzled up to Abby, it was just the cutest thing!

I really have a tough decision to make if nobody claims the bunny. Like you I think I may be allergic, because every time after petting it, my eyes burn and I get stuffed up. We'll have to see how it goes, hopefully the owner will see my flyer and call. If not we'll have a family meeting and decide the fate of the bunny from there.

Ford Girl
October 21st, 2008, 03:38 PM
Hi LMPG, we missed you in the tjt.

Poor bun bun...glad you found him. They have bunnies at the HS here and its amazing what they do with them, toys, walks, large pens, socialize...

Where's the picture?????

hazelrunpack
October 21st, 2008, 04:18 PM
Hey, welcome back, LMP! We was a'wonderin' where you'd gone off to! And now it turns out you're cheating on us with a rabbit!!! :eek: And you won't even post a picture! :yell:

:laughing:

A very lucky rabbit, that one! :D But we definitely do need pictures once the owners have called or you decide to keep Bunny. Till then, you're off the hook, since you're expecting the owner to describe Bunny to you. :thumbs up See...hazel pays attention...sometimes... :p

I'm glad your absence was due to nothing worse than an ailing computer! :grouphug:

Luvmypitgirls
October 22nd, 2008, 04:12 AM
Yes I am a little hesitant on posting a pic, it may be a long shot that the owner is a member here but ya never know.
Hubby and I have decided that the owners get until Monday to claim the bunny.
I am most certainly allergic to the sweet little thing though.

We brought it out for excercise this evening, we put it on a leash and spread out a big blanket for it, in a matter of 10-12 minutes it had managed to lay out 40+ turds all over the place.:frustrated:

I had to clean it's crate three times today:frustrated:

I hate to admit it, but I seriously doubt I am cut out for being a bunny owner.
Just the horrid allergic reactions I have when trying to handle it, is enough reason, it's brutal.

So we have decided the owners have until Monday of next week to claim the bunny or it's going to the rescue or the SPCA.

My youngest son is a little upset he has always wanted a bunny, but to be fair, I have 2 cats, 4 dogs at the moment, and a snake. That is a lot of pets to care for and to be honest at this time I just can't take care of another furry baby.:sad: For the first time in a very long time, I have to say No to keeping another animal:sad:

So come Monday, I will post a pic of "Sweet~pea" aka "Playboy".

rainbow
October 22nd, 2008, 04:37 AM
Hope you can find the bunny's owner. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Do you have another foster dog at your house? :confused:

Luvmypitgirls
October 22nd, 2008, 05:48 AM
Hope you can find the bunny's owner. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Do you have another foster dog at your house? :confused:

No not another foster, my middle son has moved back home with his dog, which I lovingly refer to as my "grandson".
I take care of Mac while my son is at work.

I don't mind, I love Mac, I was his foster mom at one time before my son decided to adopt him. He fits in great with my pack, other than when he gets overly excited and attempts to hump everything and everyone!

With Mac here, I really have no more time to dedicate to yet another animal. Which is another reason why I just can't keep the bunny. I feel bad about it, but seriously I have enough on my plate as it is. To keep the bunny wouldn't be fair to the bunny, and I can't commit myself to another animal knowing full well that I won't be able to give it the amount of attention it deserves.
I have come to accept the fact that I have my limits too, I can't keep every furry baby that crosses my path, no matter how much I want to.:sad: