Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Foster dog

bcgirls12
October 20th, 2008, 08:04 PM
What is the longest time period you have had a foster dog before it was placed in a permanent home? How long is too long before it will cause too much stress on the dog being relocated after a long time in a foster home?

happycats
October 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I believe dogs are highly adaptable, and I think they may be upset, and stressed at first, but if there new family is a loving home they will soon learn that all will be well. It may take some time to trust again, and there may be some SA issues. but with an understanding new home they will be happy before long.

My dog Buddy, went to a few foster homes in a very short time, by the time he got here his eyes showed a totally "hopeless" look, like he had given up, but it didn't take long for him to perk right up, and he is happy well adjusted now.

(I think the foster family will be more upset then the dog;))

Frenchy
October 20th, 2008, 08:13 PM
How long is too long before it will cause too much stress on the dog being relocated after a long time in a foster home?

I don't think there is a "too long" period , as long as the new family (adopters) is THE right family for the dog.

longest foster I had is still here , almost 2 years but I'm keeping her :D

Other would be Ben , stayed here 4 months and he was in heaven from day one at his new family. :thumbs up

Frenchy
October 20th, 2008, 08:14 PM

Ditto !!!!!!!!

luckypenny
October 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Depending on the individual dog and the adoptive family, the adjustment time can vary. I find the younger they are, the easier it seems to be for them.

Our longest foster was 3 months. I think it's harder on us than it is on them :o.

Taking into consideration our adopted dogs, I think Penny would feel comfy cozy anywhere there's food and someone to throw her balls :D. I think Lucky would be miserable without me :o.

We fostered Ava for about 8 months before we decided we would not be able to give her up. She's probably the type to adjust well to new circumstances but gave everyone the excuse that she wouldn't be able to adjust when friends and family said, "Omg, another dog!" :laughing:.

Are you fostering a dog that's about to be adopted?

happycats
October 20th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Here are Buddy's before pics......he looked so sad and defeated and hopeless:sad:

happycats
October 20th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Here's Buddy's after pics.........looks happy...no :D

bcgirls12
October 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM
thanks everyone
I think I feel a little better now, we've had a few fosters in the past but they found forever homes within a few months. As you all know it really hurts when they leave and you feel like crying, but then you look at what you did for that animal and you feel good. The one we have now has been here for 8 months and I have been looking for reasons why it's too late for him to be moved. I'm not sure if I am looking out for his welfare or my own. I almost dread the day a good applicant comes along, but if the person really looked good for him I would let him go, if not he won't be going anywhere.

Frenchy
October 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
but if the person really looked good for him I would let him go, if not he won't be going anywhere.

You'll know when it happens.

My Sam was a foster for 3 months , nobody called for him , he was shaved , fat , old , couldn't do too much stairs ..... someone finally called after 3 months , I was in shock ! And the only words that came out of my mouth was : I'm so sorry , he just got adopted.

I turned around and told Sam he was staying right here with me. :)

happycats
October 20th, 2008, 08:45 PM
thanks everyone
I think I feel a little better now, we've had a few fosters in the past but they found forever homes within a few months. As you all know it really hurts when they leave and you feel like crying, but then you look at what you did for that animal and you feel good. The one we have now has been here for 8 months and I have been looking for reasons why it's too late for him to be moved. I'm not sure if I am looking out for his welfare or my own. I almost dread the day a good applicant comes along, but if the person really looked good for him I would let him go, if not he won't be going anywhere.

Awww it must be so heartwrenching for you!:sad:
But just think, you'll have room for another dog in need:)
asking for after "happy" pics I'm sure will also help you know that you did the right thing, and that your foster is happy!

I just want to thank you for fostering, I know I couldn't to it (I would get to attached) it takes a special person :angel:

bcgirls12
October 20th, 2008, 08:53 PM
thanks again everyone, it's all of us together that save the animals and it's a very rewarding feeling.
I just love fostering, and I have people that think I'm crazy to do it but I don't care what they think.
I love it! One more saved!!

Frenchy
October 20th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Do you have the petfinder link of your foster ? I would love to see him. :goodvibes:

bcgirls12
October 20th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Here is his listing as you'll see he has a few issues but he's a wonderful dog!!
He is with my 2 Border Collies which are mine at our cottage this summer.
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10266577

Frenchy
October 20th, 2008, 09:15 PM
omg so that makes 3 border collies at your house ? :crazy: woohoo must get a lot of action !!! :laughing:

he sounds like a typical BC , and pretty cute at that. :lovestruck:

Sounds like you're doing a great job with him . :thumbs up Good luck to him (oh and you of course !) :goodvibes:

thank you so much for fostering. :thumbs up

Love4himies
October 21st, 2008, 08:02 AM
You'll know when it happens.

My Sam was a foster for 3 months , nobody called for him , he was shaved , fat , old , couldn't do too much stairs ..... someone finally called after 3 months , I was in shock ! And the only words that came out of my mouth was : I'm so sorry , he just got adopted.

I turned around and told Sam he was staying right here with me. :)

:cry: I didn't know that, Frenchy.

Love4himies
October 21st, 2008, 08:06 AM
Bless you for fostering. It is such a difficult thing to say goodbye and hope they have a great life :grouphug:

BenMax
October 21st, 2008, 08:23 AM

Absolutely the truth. I just placed a dog I had for 1.5 months. I personally lost it when she left. I found out in the car ride she was literally sick and upset. After 1 day the dog has settled very well - enjoying her new mom and family. By the sounds of it she is more spoiled there than with me and I am certain I am a distant memory. Dogs live the now. As long as they are loved and cherished - we are no longer reflected upon - and I personally am very very comfortable with that.

Fostering is not easy - but filled with rewards.

Thanks for fostering!

Sylvie
October 21st, 2008, 11:28 AM
We had a foster that was with us for 10 months. When the forever home came I thought she would miss me terribly. Ha, the only one that was sad was me she ended up so happy I can't describe it. She passed on this year and the email I received from her owner had me in tears. He called her his soulmate and sent pictures of her in her last days. She was so loved!. The moral of the story is, they can adjust and live in the now, not like us who get all wrapped up in the past.

Good luck in finding a forever home for your sweetie and then you can help another unfortunate puppy.

P.S. It has been a year now that we have fostered Greta, who knows she may be our foster failure. We try to foster the hard cases, therefore they stay with us quite a while, so I know how you feel. :D

:rip:my sweet Bailey

Love4himies
October 21st, 2008, 11:35 AM
The moral of the story is, they can adjust and live in the now, not like us who get all wrapped up in the past.

I think this is so true. As long as the pet goes to a happy home, then I think it is us who suffers longer than the foster, lol.

bcgirls12
October 21st, 2008, 01:47 PM
I think you all are right! We most likely hurt much more than our fosters do once they leave us. And as long as they find a compatible loving home that will work with their issues that's all that really matters. I guess that's why I get the hard ones because they know I'll never give up. I have to look at what I've done for him and when the right people come along we will know it
I just want to say thanks again everyone, I really do feel much better!!
Keep up the great work everyone!!

BenMax
October 21st, 2008, 02:08 PM
I think you all are right! We most likely hurt much more than our fosters do once they leave us. And as long as they find a compatible loving home that will work with their issues that's all that really matters. I guess that's why I get the hard ones because they know I'll never give up. I have to look at what I've done for him and when the right people come along we will know it
I just want to say thanks again everyone, I really do feel much better!!
Keep up the great work everyone!!

You too bcgirls12 - thanks for loving them so much. They really do need anyone that can help them get a good head start and a second chance. You will meet many rescue/shelter and normal people that really do what they can to help any and all animals in need.

You have met up with some great people. Also, we all love to hear about any stories that you have in regards to your rescues.