-->

Melamine Again Killing Dogs in China

mumof4boys
October 20th, 2008, 04:51 PM
When are these people ever going to learn. :shrug:
These poor dogs:cry:
Just found this on a news feed.
1,500 Dogs Die from tainted feed in China

BEIJING - Some 1,500 dogs in northeast China have died after eating animal feed tainted with the same chemical that contaminated dairy products and sickened tens of thousands of babies nationwide, a veterinarian said Monday.

Full article here.

http://healthandfitness.sympatico.msn.ca/abc/News/ContentPosting.aspx?isfa=1&feedname=CP-HEALTH&showbyline=True&newsitemid=76075038

BenMax
October 20th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Forget it - there is no hope for them! When they taint children's tooth paste you have to ask yourself why would they put emphasis on animals. They eat them anyways - so really it is pathetic all the way around.

Sorry - I get completely ticked at some cultures!

rainbow
October 20th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I agree.....there's no way they are ever going to change. :wall:

Let's just hope that all the other countries that import food products from China have extremely strict controls in place. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

BenMax
October 20th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I agree.....there's no way they are ever going to change. :wall:

Let's just hope that all the other countries that import food products from China have extremely strict controls in place. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

Better yet - do not import ANYTHING from China, Vietnam, Korea and Indonesia!!

rainbow
October 20th, 2008, 05:54 PM

That would be nice but most companies use the cheapest source for their ingredients. :sad:

BenMax
October 20th, 2008, 05:55 PM
That would be nice but most companies use the cheapest source for their ingredients. :sad:

I know but always wishing you know...

BeagleMum
October 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM
OMG, this is just horrible. I am not sure why I actually thought they had learned after the first tainted pet foods fiasco, I am so naive.

14+kitties
October 20th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I have actually managed to find some bowls in my dollar store that aren't made in any of those places. They are made in Mexico. Now I am hoping there isn't an issue with them soon. :rolleyes:

I wanted a heavy bowl for the cats' water because I have a few who like to paw surf and they kept knocking over the lighter bowls. Took some looking but I managed to find them. I have noticed lately that labels have been removed from a lot of stuff in the store though. I think they are getting too much flack about stuff from China.

I can't think of any words to say about people that would deliberately poison their own. They had to know that something like melamine would be poisonous to babies. And now animals. :sad: Just a reminder..... don't buy meds on line either unless you can be guaranteed they aren't coming from China.

mumof4boys
October 20th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I'm sick and tired of hearing about all this tainted stuff from China. I read every single label now to avoid buying anything from China, but it is getting very hard because sometimes there are parts of a product that are made in China but the end result is finished in another country with their name on it. W5 did 2 segments on "Safe to Eat".
It is really scarry.

This is the link to watch it. You can find the video on the rights side. It's in 2 parts.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071025/WFIVE_chinafood_071027/20071027?hub=WFive

luckypenny
October 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I wanted a heavy bowl for the cats' water because I have a few who like to paw surf and they kept knocking over the lighter bowls.

:offtopic: :o I use vintage glass Pyrex or FireKing bowls. They're super heavy and, depending on the shape, virtually spill-proof. Super inexpensive at garage sales or second hand shops :thumbs up.

Back on topic....poor dogs :sad:.

clm
October 20th, 2008, 08:51 PM
These weren't ordinary dogs. They were raccoon dogs, look very much like raccoons, bred and raised in China for fur. Hard to say which death would be worse for them, the melamine or the way they skin them alive for their fur. :sad:

Cindy

luckypenny
October 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Argh!!! :wall:

Just sick :mad:!

hazelrunpack
October 21st, 2008, 12:22 AM
This whole thing about adding melamine to products just boggles my mind. The "amine" part mimics presence of protein (strings of amino acids), and higher protein content can mean more money, so I can see where it would be tempting to add it. However, they execute company officials if they're caught tainting the product! Who would take that risk? And the fact that they continue adding melamine after they've seen the executions... :eek: I just can't fathom why it continues. :shrug:

And children and pets, in particular, continue to die... :frustrated:

rainbow
October 21st, 2008, 12:30 AM
I have actually managed to find some bowls in my dollar store that aren't made in any of those places. They are made in Mexico. Now I am hoping there isn't an issue with them soon. :rolleyes:

Bowls made in Mexico may contain lead. From http://www.therexcatsite.com/catfacts11.htm ....

Beware of bowls made in Mexico which are often decorated with glazes made with lead.

rainbow
October 21st, 2008, 12:38 AM
who would take that risk? And the fact that they continue adding melamine after they've seen the executions... :eek: I just can't fathom why it continues. :shrug:

It's GREED !!! :sad:

TeriM
October 21st, 2008, 01:06 AM
Aarghhh :wall:. I personally refuse to buy any food products from China and try to severely limit any other purchases.

rainbow
October 21st, 2008, 01:54 AM
I won't buy anything made in China either, but as mumof4boys said, companies do not have to disclose the source of their ingredients so how are we really supposed to know if one of the ingredients or parts is not coming from China? :frustrated:

I really wish our government would make it a law that full disclosure must be printed on the product. :fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
October 21st, 2008, 02:47 AM
If 60% of an item (whether it be food or not) is made in Canada they can slap a "made in canada" label on it & are not required to disclose the country of origin of the remaining 40% of material

clm
October 21st, 2008, 07:00 AM
You have to try to get back to basics with food unfortunately. The more prepared the food, the more chance you're going to run into problems. Prepared sauces, powdered or liquid, prepared meals, canned, frozen or refrigerated. Prepared cake, cookie, bisquit, puddings, canned, refridgerated or mixes, prepared rice and seasoning packages. All are there for your convenience, but I would have to say making most of these items from scratch is a whole lot cheaper and not much more difficult. Get yourself a few good cookbooks, plan your weekly menus and get back to making your own food.

Cindy

mumof4boys
October 21st, 2008, 09:38 AM
I agree CLM. I'm lucky enough to be a stay at home mom so the majority of the food in our house is home made. I can see how it can be hard though for families where both parents work and don't have the time and turn to the faster products.
I am glad to see that communities are starting to promote that we "Buy Local & Eat Local". This will not only help us to eat better and have safer products but it's also helping our farmers who have struggled lately.

ancientgirl
October 21st, 2008, 12:48 PM
OMG, not again! I've concluded there's just no hope for them. They keep doing these things.

Those poor dogs.

It's hard to find anything not made in China, especially bowls. I think I'm going to start looking for antique stuff too. At least there's a chance of that being okay. I've just realized all of the dishes I have for my gang are made in China. I feed them from little dishes. Now that I think about it, I can use dessert dishes for them, same thing actually if I think about it. If they are safe to eat human food they have to be safe for pets, right?

Joeyjoejoe
October 21st, 2008, 10:04 PM

Okay so I'm probably going to get some backlash over this...

But if the problem is with China, why do are you associating other countries with China?

14+kitties
October 21st, 2008, 10:20 PM
:offtopic: :o I use vintage glass Pyrex or FireKing bowls. They're super heavy and, depending on the shape, virtually spill-proof. Super inexpensive at garage sales or second hand shops :thumbs up.

Back on topic....poor dogs :sad:.

Bowls made in Mexico may contain lead. From http://www.therexcatsite.com/catfacts11.htm ....

:thumbs up Thanks ladies. Guess I go get my Pyrex and Fireking bowls out. Dang, they are actually worth a little money. :rolleyes: Were going to be part of my kids inheritance. :p

kandy
October 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
I got an email that talked about the "fast food" available in China during the olympics. Two of the things on the list were dog meat with red peppers and dog brain soup. :frustrated: :censored: Didn't surprise me one bit that they'd be adding a dangerous and toxic chemical to ingredients for dog food. Once the recalls came out last year on pet food, then I started reading about more and more issues with China and their food products. Soy sauce made with human hair, the toothpaste thing, the totally fake baby formula (totally seperate from this latest round of melamine contaminated formula) and a whole host of other things including hair ties made with used condoms.

IMO they have no regard for the humans in their country, so why should they care about animals of any kind? The media claims that their government took the homes of more than 50,000 families to build the park for the olympics - with no concern whatsoever for where those people would go. As far as I can tell, the only thing they do value is their Panda's and money. :sad: