Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some good news!

phoozles
October 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM
A couple of good news tidbits.

I don't know if you remember, but a few months back my fiance and I came across a couple of tiny calico kittens. We fed them that night and then they got away from us and we didn't see them again.

Well, about a week ago we came home to put out food for some of our outdoor strays, and we saw one we didn't recognize. It was one of the calicos! And her sister was right behind her! So phew! Too bad they don't get along with Squishy, our resident stray, but they'll have to learn to get along if they want to eat! :laughing:

Also, we have another tortie stray that comes by every day. She (of course) got pregnant, and we didn't know where her kittens were, but had a hunch that they were over at the frozen food place next door. We kept feeding her, hoping she would show us where they were.

Well, last week we found them! Four little rolly polly little guys, and boy are they pudgy! Turns out the frozen food place feeds them three times a day, and they have a nice warm shelter to stay in. I'm happy that they feed them, happy that they want to keep a couple as mousers, not so happy that they won't get any of them fixed. :frustrated:

Regardless, there's another part to this story. The other night we came home late and heard a tiny little "mew mew". So we see this little tortie kitten come out across the street towards us. The momma tortie didn't have a tortie kitten, and then I realized that this little girl had to be at least a week younger than the other kittens (otherwise she was a really TINY runt - but that seemed doubtful). In any case, we took her over to the other kittens, but she hissed at them, and the momma tortie hissed at her too. :sad: I was devastated at the thought that this poor little thing was homeless, but as we were trying to figure out how to house her for the night, she got away from us. :sad:

Now the good news - we went by to see momma tortie's kittens last night, and we counted five kittens! Momma tortie had taken the little one in! :lovestruck: I was so happy! :angel:

:sorry: this is so long - lots of cat happenings near my neck of the woods lately!

Diamondsmum
October 20th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Awww phoozie!

YAY for kittys and dont apologize for it>= I would rather read good (sorta) news then bad news :cloud9: esp with kittys

14+kitties
October 20th, 2008, 06:31 PM
That's great that the little ones are being fed. Not so good that they won't fix them. :sad: I wish there were some place around you that did low cost s/n. Then they may change their minds.

:thumbs up That so far they are all safe!!

Frenchy
October 20th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Well you have your hands full !!! I'm so glad people from the store are feeding them. And that the momma cat is taking care of the little orphan :thumbs up

Jim Hall
October 20th, 2008, 07:56 PM
cooll nice to know the food guys are good to them goota work on letting them get neurtered?

rainbow
October 20th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Well you have your hands full !!! I'm so glad people from the store are feeding them. And that the momma cat is taking care of the little orphan :thumbs up

I agree....there is only so much that you can do. :grouphug:

Sure glad to hear that momma kitty took in the orphan. :thumbs up

Love4himies
October 21st, 2008, 07:44 AM
Glad to hear they are getting fed. Just wondering if you contacted vets in your area to see if any would spay/neuter at cost these strays maybe the frozen food place will foot the bill if you take them in? It is to their benefit to control the kitty population so it doesn't get out of hand.

ancientgirl
October 21st, 2008, 12:09 PM
Phoozles, I'm happy to hear your gang of strays are doing well. I like L4H's suggestion of offering to take them in for the spay. I think it's nice the frozen food place is providing for them to some degree, but maybe you should ask them how receptive they'd be if they had 20 or 30 cats around, which is what they might have eventually if they don't S/N the ones they are feeding.

phoozles
October 21st, 2008, 12:11 PM
I was so happy to see that she had taken in that orphan. :cloud9:

I agree.. I've been in talks with the shelter about it. The problem with the vets in my area is that there are about 5 of them that are all owned by the same company. And their motivation seems to be money. :wall:

I know that when I brought my stray Ethel in, the vet techs and the vet herself kept looking at me like I was nuts.. They kept saying "Did someone give her to you?" And I said no, she was just homeless and had a litter of kittens, and they just looked at me like I was a crazy cat person because I wanted to give this one a chance. :frustrated:

Apparently distemper is running wild in my community as well. :sad: Could make vets hestitant to bring them in ..

I'm going to try and talk to the frozen food place again about getting them fixed. They already think I'm a crazy cat person because they saw me with Ethel and her kittens a while back. :rolleyes:

phoozles
October 21st, 2008, 12:14 PM
Phoozles, I'm happy to hear your gang of strays are doing well. I like L4H's suggestion of offering to take them in for the spay. I think it's nice the frozen food place is providing for them to some degree, but maybe you should ask them how receptive they'd be if they had 20 or 30 cats around, which is what they might have eventually if they don't S/N the ones they are feeding.

Unfortunately, I don't think they'd care that much. They like the idea of "mousers", and they like it when the kittens run around. :rolleyes: I'm almost postitive this tortie has had quite a few litters already - our street is rampant with cats.

When I was caring for Ethel's kittens, they would just watch me from across the street. I mentioned about how we didn't need any more kittens, and they just shrugged.

Some neighbourhood kids made up a paper for our town. I bought it from them, and they had a story about how "The frozen food cat had kittens again! Take it easy on the roads" .. *sigh*

Love4himies
October 21st, 2008, 12:21 PM
I agree.. I've been in talks with the shelter about it. The problem with the vets in my area is that there are about 5 of them that are all owned by the same company. And their motivation seems to be money. :wall:

I find more and more vet clinics are like that. What ever happened to caring for the animals.

ancientgirl
October 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM
You'd think that because there are so many cats and distemper around the clinics would be more inclined to actually do something to prevent more cats!

I get that they are there to make some profit, but people go into these fields, at least I'd like to think this, to care and serve. I always thought when you wanted to be a vet or people doctor it was because you wanted to help, not just to make loads of money.