Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Walking with a leash

usf5678
October 20th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Hi! Ok, need some help with my beagle/basset puppy.

I have been working with him during our walks so he doesn't pull too much and things are kinda going ok. He tries to run off sometimes, but I have the leash pretty close to me and we walk together most of the time. But there are instances when he just snaps and jumps to try and grab the leash, starts growling with the leash and starts barking at me. I usually have to drag him back home because he just won't stop. I have his collar pretty high up on his neck so he can't grab it and I think this gets him even more mad.

Someone told me that this is a common problem with puppies. Is this true? I need help!

Thanks!
Bee

BenMax
October 20th, 2008, 01:05 PM
This is very common with dogs and puppies alike. The leash for him is play. He wants to grab it and play tug of war with you.

When the pup tries to grab the leash don't say a word. Just manouver the leash above his neck 90 degree angle and continue your walk without correcting the issue. Just keep going. He will bore of struggling.

Let me know how it works out.

usf5678
October 20th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks I'll try that. But how should I react when he falls on his side to try and grab the leash? I can't seem to have him budge for anything! I'll try the quiet route. Hopefully it works!

BenMax
October 20th, 2008, 02:49 PM
He falls to his side because he requires that you keep moving. He is manipulating you when he does this. Does he have a favorite toy. If so, bring it with you but do not let him know you have it. When he rolls to his side, take out the toy to distract him. Once he is up, keep moving and put the toy back into your pocket.

usf5678
October 20th, 2008, 03:12 PM
THANK YOU! I'll be prepared next time he wants to "play" with the leash. : )

BenMax
October 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Don't forget - you have a tough mix of a breed. They are always on the go as they want so much to explore different scents. Also, encourage your pup to explore which will keep his/her mind occupied rather than trying to play with the leash.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Etown_Chick
October 20th, 2008, 11:25 PM
When Scruffy started doing that I switched to a chain leash. It's not as easy for me to do corrections but it sure stopped the leash-biting.

rainbow
October 21st, 2008, 01:17 AM
You can also try wrapping the end of the leash in aluminum foil as they don't like to bite that. :)

BenMax
October 21st, 2008, 08:27 AM
You can also try wrapping the end of the leash in aluminum foil as they don't like to bite that. :)

Hey - never thought of that......I will personally give this a whirl!

usf5678
October 21st, 2008, 12:06 PM
Chain leash and aluminum foil, fantastic ideas! Thank you! I tried the toy during our walk last night and it helped a bit. :thumbs up

BenMax
October 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM
Chain leash and aluminum foil, fantastic ideas! Thank you! I tried the toy during our walk last night and it helped a bit. :thumbs up

Glad it it worked. Keep going - you are doing good.

kdick
October 21st, 2008, 08:47 PM
If you don't want to switch to a chain leash, you can try rubbing some Vick's Vapo rub on the first few inches of the leash. I tried bitter apple, but my puppy seemed to like that. My obedience trainer told us about the Vick's. She only put the leash in her mouth once after I put that on!

Stormcloud_59
October 23rd, 2008, 07:00 PM
My big dog (90 lbs) was a puller. We switched to head collar (gentle Leader, Halti are two brand names). with in a half block she settled right down. Pulling is no longer and issue. It makes taking my dog for a walk something we both look forward to.

jessi76
October 24th, 2008, 03:22 PM
head collars are good for adult dogs, however, I wouldn't use one on a puppy. Instead, I'd use a chest harness, it's just safer for a wee pup who's still learning the basics. as ironic as this is going to sound, my dog learned his best leash manners without a leash. lol. we practiced in a WELL fenced area though. once he was better at following next to me, we worked the leash back in. sounds like your pup just wants to play though! mine used to bite the leash too, and then chew through it in 2.3 seconds. You can spray the leash w/ Bitter Apple spray - it works on some dogs. My dog thought it was a delicious condement though. ;-)

usf5678
October 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I tried the head collar for a week and it was pure torture for the pup. He HATED it. WE used to use the harness and that actually made it easier for him to grab the leash, so it made it worse! The collar has worked the best. He is doing better about the biting (tried a few times, but we carry a toy to distract), but now we are working on the pulling. I just keep telling me myself that he is a hound so he needs to sniff everything! :)

And I'm with you Jessie. My puppy LOVES the bitter apple. He licks the stuff clean! Haha!

flipgirl4
October 27th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Try this: When you are walking with your dog, hold a couple of feet of the leash in your hands (i.e. slack). When you can see his tail in front of you, give him a little pop on the leash, not to hurt him but just to get his attention. Say 'ah ah' at the same time. Then immediately turn around and walk in the other direction. If your dog doesn't follow you, let go of the slack so you don't pull your dog. You never want the leash to be tight or pull your dog (he will instinctively pull in the opposite direction). Praise him profusely when he starts walking with you(he should know that his position is following you or at least beside you). If he pulls ahead and you can see his tail, repeat this process. You can practice this for 15 minutes at a time. You may get a bit dizzy the first few sessions but with this process, you are setting him up to succeed with just a bit of correction when he pulls.

You can put some clove oil or the juice from a jar of jalapeno peppers on the leash to prevent him from grabbing the leash.