Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for help

jen5jack
October 20th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Hi My name is Jenny. My cats were born with Feline herpes. They are perfectly healthy but once in a blue moon they catch a little cold, mainly sneezing. My VET reccommended a vitamin I forgot the name of that I crush and put into wet food. Would anyone know what it is called. Unfortunitly my VET is closed today otherwise I'd call and ask. If I heard the name I would remember. It is something we as humans would take too. Figured this might be a good place to inquire. Thanks

BenMax
October 20th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Sorry I don't know the name. All my cats have this condition. Some are carriers and others are chronic (persian).

I use this product that you sprinkle in the food and it is made by Purina. You can get it at any vets.

There are some very savvy cat people here that may know exactly what you are talking about.

Try PMing 14+kitties, Love4himmies and there are many more people here that can help.

Good luck.

badger
October 20th, 2008, 10:09 AM
A couple of my cats have herpes as well, and when they have an outbreak, I give them L-Lysine, which is supposed to (and I believe, does) shorten the length of the outbreak. I get it at the pharmacy in 500 mg capsules and empty a capsule into their canned food. There is no taste.
But if it's just sneezing, is it really herpes? My cats usually experience it in one eye, which swells up to the point where the eyeball is almost buried, and weeps constantly.
Don't keep them on the Lysine indefinitely. Immune boosters are most effective if you use them for a short period during an outbreak and then stop. They are not vitamins.

BenMax
October 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM
A couple of my cats have herpes as well, and when they have an outbreak, I give them L-Lysine, which is supposed to (and I believe, does) shorten the length of the outbreak. I get it at the pharmacy in 500 mg capsules and empty a capsule into their canned food. There is no taste.
But if it's just sneezing, is it really herpes? My cats usually experience it in one eye, which swells up to the point where the eyeball is almost buried, and weeps constantly.
Don't keep them on the Lysine indefinitely. Immune boosters are most effective if you use them for a short period during an outbreak and then stop. They are not vitamins.

Sorry Badger - I certainly should have added you to the list of cat people. The stuff that I am giving my cats are the immune boosters made by Purina. It works wonders on my catpack. Usually when one has an outbreak, another usually follows suit. I have 2 others that don't have any symptoms so I absolutely do not give them any booster. My persian however is really chronic. She has had 2 eye surgeries due to ulcers in the eye. The first operation was done at the wonderful shelter on the South Shore when I adopted her. The second time - my vets. Big time $$$$.

Dracko
October 20th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Yup, I agree, the amino acid Lysine is what your vet would have recommended. The vets sell a paste type supplement that comes in an easy to dispense tube but you can also buy the capsules in a health food store and find a way to administer it to them.

Regarding not keeping them on it long-term, I think you need to talk to your vet about this. Given Herpes is a forever disorder you need to manage it all the time. L-lysine is not an immune system stimulant (it is believed the herpes virus requires arginine, another amino acid that's common in foods and necessary to human life; but lysine is thought to interfere with the absorption of arginine in the intestine) and in people the daily dose is usual 1000mg/day for maintanence and 3000mg/day in times of an outbreak. Taking too little (whether it is for an animal or human) does no good so you need to ask your vet about the dosage.

Love4himies
October 20th, 2008, 12:07 PM
L-lysine is the amino acid that helps fight the herpes virus. Be careful though because it can absorb calcium into the blood stream and high blood calcium may lead to kidney stones.