Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What to feed new pup Choc Lab?

Lisa21
October 19th, 2008, 08:53 PM
hi iam new here... and new to the Choc Lab thing too.... Iam really confused about the food for her????? I looked into TLC but you guys have said there is too much grain in it... I just want a mid grade food you know the best for my money and for my puppy???? without spending an arm and a leg,,,,, any help would be great!!!! thanks

kathryn
October 19th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Hmmm then just go for something by Natura Pet if you can.

www.naturapet.com

Everyone here loves Wellness but they are expensive. Natura Pet brand foods are cheaper. I am starting work at a pet supply shop and generally know the prices of things. :thumbs up

Bina
October 19th, 2008, 09:25 PM
For many years my chocolate Lab used to eat Natural Choice made by Nutros.
Now that she is 14 she has issues and Purine One is working out fine.
Enjoy your pup!

Kinguni
October 20th, 2008, 03:25 AM
We tried lots of different kibbles, and kibbles supplemented with fresh food, but what's worked out best now is raw. A little more work, and we did need to buy an extra freezer, but a healthier dog.

Don't scrimp on the kibble though. Remember, if you feed a grain free kibble like Orijen or Evo you'll be feeding the dog less than some of the cheaper kibbles, so it's really not that much more expensive.

BTW, I don't like Wellness. We tried it and it but left Shabbado with a dry coat and itchies. Evo gave her eye gunk. Orijen was fantastic but she had soft poops. Raw is the best of everything.

happycats
October 20th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I love this site for finding the best food! http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-c.html
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Mgue
October 20th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I recommend Orijen - I have a lab/cocker mix and he's 5 months old now. He does great on it, at least now that his body has adjusted from switching him from other high-grain food. His coat is super soft and shiny (we get compliments on it), no doggy odor or bad breath, and his poops are firm without being too hard or too soft.

We buy a 2.5 kg bag from Best West for $16, and it lasts about 2 weeks. We feed him about 2 cups a day.

The way I look at it is, I spend at least $8 a week on junk like coffee or eating out or newspapers. For that same money, I can give my dog a premium quality diet so for me, it's worth it.

bmxman
October 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM
after a bit of research I settled on the "Go" grain free food for my puppy..she's also part lab...she loves it and everything is fine so far...but the more I read the more I'm finding out that a grain free formula might not be so good for young pups.

Kinguni
October 21st, 2008, 07:03 PM
It's not the grain free to be worried about - they don't need grain. It's the calcium content of the food. I'd feel comfortable feeding Orijen Puppy since the calcium and phosphorus are properly balanced, but a little less confident feeding the Go! grain free to a puppy as the calcium content may be too high.

Lisa21
October 21st, 2008, 07:45 PM
thanks everyone for your input, anyone else have any ideas....
cheers!!:thumbs up:loser:

rainbow
October 22nd, 2008, 03:25 AM
...but the more I read the more I'm finding out that a grain free formula might not be so good for young pups.

If the grain-free brand has a puppy formula then that is okay to feed. :thumbs up

It's not the grain free to be worried about - they don't need grain. It's the calcium content of the food. I'd feel comfortable feeding Orijen Puppy since the calcium and phosphorus are properly balanced, but a little less confident feeding the Go! grain free to a puppy as the calcium content may be too high.

Yes, it is the calcium and mostly the phosphorus levels that you need to be concerned about.

rainbow
October 22nd, 2008, 03:32 AM
Here's a thread with lots of good information in it....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48372&highlight=phosphorus+levels

TulipRoxy
October 22nd, 2008, 08:13 AM

Along with a tight calcium phosphorus ration ( about 1:1) its also important with large breed puppies that the fat content not be too high. If the fat content is too high the puppy will put on weight while growing and this make him more prone to obesity later in life. This is because during growth the body is producing fat cells, and the number of fat cells the dog will have throughout his life is determined at this time. Reduced fat also reduces pressure on bones and joints, and studies have shown also that dogs who are at an ideal weight live longer than those who are a few pounds over. However, puppies still do need fat, its important for energy, skin and coat health, and absorption of fat soluable vitamins, so make sure the food you chose has a good source of high quality fat, such as fish oil.

bmxman
October 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
If the grain-free brand has a puppy formula then that is okay to feed. :thumbs up

hmm.. it just says it's for dogs of all ages:shrug:

Chaser
October 22nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
hmm.. it just says it's for dogs of all ages:shrug:

That's okay - it's an "All Life Stages" Food. The Go! and Now! lines are both great, and if you're happy with it in general and your dog is doing well, then stick with it :)

rainbow
October 23rd, 2008, 01:27 AM
That's okay - it's an "All Life Stages" Food. The Go! and Now! lines are both great, and if you're happy with it in general and your dog is doing well, then stick with it :)

That is correct...I forgot to mention that if it says for "All Life Stages" that is okay for puppies as well. :thumbs up

rainbow
October 23rd, 2008, 01:38 AM
This website has good information. Scroll down about an inch to read about feeding large breed puppies....

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html#commercial

In fact, you may want to bookmark the website (http://www.dogaware.com/) as there is lots of other great information there. If you click on all the highlighted stuff it will give you more details.

The dogfoodproject (http://www.dogfoodproject.com/) is another great website.....click on all the links on the left hand side of the page too.

kandy
October 23rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
I recently did some research for a coworker. She owns choc labs, and apparently they are very prone to a condition called SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth). If you notice that your pup does not seem to do well on whichever food(s) you try, with lots of runny poops, you might talk to your vet about this possibility.