Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Teaching puppy his name.

dewey1680
October 19th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Hi all, wonder if someone has some ideas about teaching puppy his name. I say it to him all day after he does good things. I also break up a treat into pieces and practice with him 2 times a day. Should i be concerned that he is not catching on yet? How long should this process normally take? I understand he is 8.5 weeks, and that its gonna take time, just looking for reassurance i guess. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Frenchy
October 19th, 2008, 06:43 PM
He's only 8.5 weeks ? Don't worry then , keep doing what you're doing , like calling him by his name , every time he responds , he gets a treat. :thumbs up

Chris21711
October 19th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Trust me he will learn his name no problem. When you call him, make a motion with your hand at the same time to come to you. He'll catch on real fast. :lightbulb: Pictures please

dewey1680
October 19th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the posts, he has been doing great so far, I know he will catch on soon.

Diamondsmum
October 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM
awwwwwwwwwww what a cutie!!!!:cloud9:

My Puppy is still learning her name I got her @9wks it took a least 3wks to get her to give attention right away.

Gail P
October 20th, 2008, 11:59 PM
What an adorable little BC puppy :lovestruck: Don't worry, they're so smart he'll get it in no time. And if you have any problem you can just pack him up and send him to me. I'll make sure he gets it, I just won't promise to return him. He can join my BC sled team. ;)

One little word of caution about teaching his name, you said you "say it to him all day after he does good things". Just be careful that you're teaching him that it is his name, not desensitizing him to it where he ignores it. If he hears it too much without yet understanding that it is his name, it will be like background noise that means nothing to him. If you can get his attention by clapping or squeaking a toy at the same time as you say his name his head will turn to you as you say it and you can tell him "yes! good boy" and make a fuss over him or give him a treat. He'll start to make the connection and begin looking at you when you call his name. Same idea for come. Once he knows his name you say it, he looks and you clap your hands, squeak a toy or pat the ground in that "come and play" way dogs have of instigating play and he'll most likely come running towards you. As he does, say the word come. He's already doing the right thing and he learns the word associated with his action (as opposed to him standing across the room confused because he doesn't understand what come means, and then becoming desensitized to hearing come, come, come over and over). Repeating a command too many times when the dog doesn't understand it just teaches them to ignore it, or that maybe they don't really have to listen until they feel like it. When he's this young you can easily set him up for success by making the right choice easy for him.