Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Good automatic litter box?

Bluecatt
October 19th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I'm thinking of purchasing an automatic litter box. I have 2 cats and an 8-month old puppy who loves eating cat poop!! Hubby and I are thinking this may be a good solution. :thumbs up

Is anyone using an automatic litter box currently? How is it? Are they very expensive? Thanks for any comments!

rainbow
October 19th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Here's a couple of threads where they were discussed here....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50130&highlight=automatic+litter+boxes

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=47237&highlight=automatic+litter+boxes

Is there any way you can put a barricade around the litterbox to keep your puppy away? Also, start teaching him the "leave it" command......it is one command that comes in handy for so many things. :thumbs up

Dracko
October 19th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I have my litterboxes in a room in my basement (the furnace room off from the laundry room and have a cat door cut in it to keep the dog out.

I used automatic litter boxes for a number of years and found the "upgrades" they did just didn't cut it. The first Littermade I had was great but the new and improved ones sucked. I gave up.

Bluecatt
October 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Unfortunately it's not that simple. We're really pressed for space and we already got one of those covered boxes with a lid and a swinging door on it and put it up on like 3 phone books and she still manages to get some out. Telling her to leave it wouldn't work because most of the time it's not until after she's giving us kisses and she's been chewing it and it's all stuck in her teeth :yuck: !!
(We have a second box downstairs in the laundry room that's already closed off with a gate in the doorway which works well.) I just think one box wouldn't be enough for 2 cats and there's no way we could fit the second one in there. There just isn't room for it. Point is - we'd like one of these automatic ones anyway, very handy when we go away for the weekends.

P.S. I have heard that the Littermaid is terrible.

Tundra_Queen
October 19th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Hi
I have a littermaid and it's not so bad. I have 3 other normal ones too now that we have 2 more kittens.

The only thing wrong with the Littermaid is that our Willie is so big he has a hard time fitting in it and because he goes in the same place one side of the poop container fills up and then the lid doesn't close tight, but there is still a lot of empty space on the other side.

I use plastic shopping bags as liners so I don't have to keep replacing the poop containers that came with the machine.

Debbie