Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

territorial pointer trouble

blaster1985
October 18th, 2008, 11:33 PM
We have had a two year old, fixed, GSP, for 3 months; she's a great dog! She gets plenty of exercise and is rarely left alone in the house. After about a month of adoption, she began to exhibit territorial expressions at the front fence. Our yard is completely fenced in and sometimes when a person walks in front of our house she charges the fence and barks like hell. Fine, bad enough. Bigger problem: biting. Today she bit someone in our yard. This person was invited into the yard; the dog had never met her before and she came out of the house and began barking at her; circling and trying to bite; I tried to prevent this, but was unsuccessful. This is the second time; the first was at another house and was also an unprovoked attack. We are very upset, to say the least. We want to be able to correct and prevent a repetition, but are also considering bringing her back. We love this dog,but are fearful of what she might do. She is very intense on the walk; always looking for prey, usually squirrels. We use a lead leash, wrapped around her nose, which keeps her from pulling. Also, we use a backpack for dogs when my wife takes her for her daily powerwalk/run and it seems to help. We are very concerned about the barking and obviously the biting. HELP!

luckypenny
October 18th, 2008, 11:46 PM
This is the second time; the first was at another house and was also an unprovoked attack.

Form your dog's perspective, it was provoked. A complete stranger coming into her territory who didn't heed her warnings. What did the person do right before she bit? Did they continue to advance into the yard? Did they look her in the eyes?

We have an extremely territorial dog as well and we have been able to work with her. It takes much effort, persistence, and never, ever, leaving her unsupervised. If a stranger comes into the yard, she must be on leash and not allowed to approach your guest until you get some hands-on advice from a trainer/behaviorist experienced with this type of aggression.

Here are two sites that may help you find someone who can help. One is for the US and the other for Canada. Look over the entire site and read the very informative articles before choosing a trainer/behaviorist. Please don't hesitate to ask lots of questions and ask for references. You may even want to sit in a few classes for reactive dogs (at a variety of training schools) to see if you're more comfortable with one method over another.

http://www.apdt.com/default.aspx

http://www.cappdt.ca/public/jpage/1/p/Home/content.do

Best of luck to both you and your dog :fingerscr. Please let us know how it goes.

mona_b
October 22nd, 2008, 07:59 PM
When you adopted her,did they give you a backround on her?

It takes much effort, persistence, and never, ever, leaving her unsupervised. If a stranger comes into the yard, she must be on leash and not allowed to approach your guest until you get some hands-on advice from a trainer/behaviorist experienced with this type of aggression.

I agree with this 100% :thumbs up

You will be looking for a lawsuit if she continues to bite.

Some of the things you can do is have her leashed and sit out front with her.When she tries to "bolt" tell her "NO" and "no Bark" and have her in a sit stay.If she listens,praise her.A friend of mine gave the "be good" command with his rescue...If she still tries to "bolt" correct her again.You and your wife need to continue doing this.Keep the dog on the leash with you in the front till she learns not to bolt.

I'm thinking maybe she was doing this with her previous owner.And the owner never corrected her.:shrug:

Does she try and go after people on the walks?

You deffinately need to talk to a trainer/behaviorist.This needs to be nipped in the bud.Especially the biting.