Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Giving baths?

scathach
October 18th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Hi!

It's me again! I feel like such a newbie in the puppy world!!!!:sad:
Anyway, i was wondering if i should gave baths to Georges? :confused: Since he's a english bulldog, it doesnt look like he's able to lick himself too much... not the most gracious and flexible breed :laughing:

Frenchy
October 18th, 2008, 12:02 PM
My dogs (I have fluffy and short hair dogs) only get 2-3 baths a year. The less the better for their skin. If your dog needs help with his ... behind :laughing: you could use just a wash cloth and water.

There's also what they call "dry shampoo" , it is liquid but you put it in a spray bottle , spray the dog with it and towell dry. This way , the fur gets clean up (excess dirt) but not the skin. It's great for in between baths.

Chaser
October 18th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Don't worry, everyone learns as they go along :)

Baths are fine, but you have to be careful not to overdo them or else your pup's skin can get really dry. My two get bathed about 3-4 times a year. Be sure to use a shampoo just for dogs - oatmeal based ones tend to be good and the least drying. I did them once a month until Chase was 8 months old though just for the sake of getting him used to it to avoid headaches later on when he was bigger. I just rinsed him in the tub instead of shampooing every time though.

One thing I find is doing good, regular brushings is all you generally need to keep your dog's coat clean. A good brush will pull all the dirt and debris out of the fur. I use a moisturizing grooming spray a few times a week while brushing as well to keep them smelling nice.

Diamondsmum
October 18th, 2008, 01:08 PM
or being like my golden puppy.. Sound of running bath/shower & she comes running :laughing: Loves the tub. Empty or full :cloud9:

Chaser
October 18th, 2008, 03:10 PM
or being like my golden puppy.. Sound of running bath/shower & she comes running :laughing: Loves the tub. Empty or full :cloud9:

Lucky!!! We have to shove Chase and Kailey into the bathroom if the water is running. Or hubby has to pick them up and dump them in the tub! :laughing:

clm
October 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Our dogs never get bathed totally and won't unless they get sprayed by a skunk or something. Butt bathes on the otherhand are a necessary evil with this breed from time to time. :laughing:

Cindy

Frenchy
October 18th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Butt bathes on the otherhand are a necessary evil with this breed from time to time. :laughing:

Cindy

:laughing:

scathach
October 19th, 2008, 09:24 AM
thanks for the help!:D

babymomma
October 19th, 2008, 09:33 AM
My girl (A yorkshire terrier) Gets bathed every 2-3 weeks.. Its just not possible to go anylonger because her fur gets unbearable to handle after that. It gets greasy like a humans and will start to stink :shrug: Maybe its the breed? My breeder recommended we do it every 2-3 weeks and so did my groomer :shrug: