Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to take care of a spayed cat?

Tundra_Queen
October 18th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Hi
I will be getting our two kittens spayed and neutered in 2 wks. I have gone thru taking care of a neutered male six years ago, even though I can't remember much, but never a female. Could you please tell me what to expect and how to take care of them after surgery? I'm nervous.

Thanks
Debbie

14+kitties
October 18th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Besides watching to make sure she doesn't lick too much not much to do really. :shrug:
I've had a few done this last year :rolleyes: and never used a cone on any. None of them licked excessively so I didn't worry about it. Don't give the kitty pain meds even if the vet pushes them. I don't think it's necessary. As L4H says - they need to feel some pain so they don't over do.
Basically, the first 24 hours or so after the op all they want to do is sleep. That's normal. Nothing to worry about. After that they will start getting more energetic but it's still nothing to fret about. Let them go. They are good at knowing how much they can handle.
I had posted this in the thread babymomma had started on being pro s/n after you expressed concern.
If you feel kitty is being too energetic then put her in her carrier for a little while to settle down or a quiet room or, if you have one at your disposal, a dog crate. I use dog crates for the first few days with supervised time out of it. They work very very well.
I added a picture of Dayle's spay incision. She is the last of 14 or 15 females that I have had done the last while. As you can see, not large. Not even that bad. She took a little longer to recoup because she is so tiny but she is back to normal.
Good luck. Don't worry!!

kathryn
October 18th, 2008, 09:12 AM
It's easy. And I agree, pain meds are not needed for young kittens who have no issues. My cat Socks needed the pain meds because she was a stray and had kittens and I adopted her when she was preggo, and she had some kind of infection that made her cat-boobs swell up. When she was spayed she still was kind of sore from giving birth a few weeks prior as well as having the other issue (I forget what It's called, someone else will know). So she had pain meds. She was also over a year old when she got spayed as well. Kittens do not need it.

I just had 2 spays and a neuter yesterday... and have 4 neuters coming up Monday (for my fosters). I've dealt with probably 40 spay or neuters by now. Do not feed them the night before !!! Just let them have water. No treats either. Usually the cut off time is around 8pm. Then after the surgery keep them SEPARATED and locked up so there's no rough housing!

Here is one of my fosters, a 2 month old female tabby, about 10 hours after her spay

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/19/l_cf43839493db4c98a4a3fe2dd5d407d3.jpg

Piece of cake.

badger
October 18th, 2008, 09:22 AM
No food after 8 pm the night before! I reckon midnight.
And after the op, no food until the next morning? We never make that deadline either. Just restart the food slowly, a bite here and there.
In kitty's head, the fasting part is by far the most painful :)

14+kitties
October 18th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I'm gonna compromise between the two times. The vet I use says 10pm for food AND water. Water can be regurgitated back up into the lungs during the operation. But I don't think you are worried about before surgery. I think it is after you wanted info on.

Bina
October 18th, 2008, 02:25 PM
My kitty was kind of freaked out so we set her up in a large dog cage with a litterbox, blankets, etc.
I didn't want her hiding or running during the night.

Tundra_Queen
October 18th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. Because I am legally blind and hubs is totally blind, I'm a bit concerned about Mirabelle's surgery, but I'm sure I'll be ok. I don't like stitches they have always freaked me out, but by the looks of the pics posted it won't be so bad. :)

Do I need to use a special kitty litter, like the newspaper kind so it won't get into the stitches?

Thanks again.

Debbie

14+kitties
October 18th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I have never used a different litter. Some vets reccomend a different one. Yesterday's News is a good recycled one but many cats don't like the feel of it. Maybe one that doesn't clump if your kitty is the type who likes lying in her litter. Other than that, nope. She will be fine.

Tundra_Queen
October 18th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I have never used a different litter. Some vets reccomend a different one. Yesterday's News is a good recycled one but many cats don't like the feel of it. Maybe one that doesn't clump if your kitty is the type who likes lying in her litter. Other than that, nope. She will be fine.

Thanks. I use the Scoop from purina, it's a clumping one but they don't lie in their litter, thank goodness. :D

clm
October 18th, 2008, 08:01 PM
All 3 of my girls were fine after surgery. We adopted Mookie and Squeak right after they had been done at 6 weeks of age. At that age they slept a lot anyway and they healed very fast. Gabby we adopted at about 3 months of age. Had her spayed around 4 months. She was a bit more of a challenge. She was an extremely active kitten (she still is an extremely active cat), so keeping her quiet for a couple of days was impossible. She did develop a slight bulge at the incision site, but it went down to normal gradually.

Cindy

kathryn
October 18th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Do I need to use a special kitty litter, like the newspaper kind so it won't get into the stitches?

I am supposed to recommend (shelter stuff) you do not switch cat litter, but instead take some newspaper and shred it over top the litter to keep the dust down.

Personally though, I have never had an issue. My one cat had his leg amputated and was supposed to use Yesterdays News. Well, he never used it, and instead slept in it :laughing: he thought it was so comfy! So I gave up, donated the rest of the bag to the shelter and just carefully let him use a small litter pan. He never had an issue.

Tundra_Queen
October 19th, 2008, 05:39 PM
All 3 of my girls were fine after surgery. We adopted Mookie and Squeak right after they had been done at 6 weeks of age. At that age they slept a lot anyway and they healed very fast. Gabby we adopted at about 3 months of age. Had her spayed around 4 months. She was a bit more of a challenge. She was an extremely active kitten (she still is an extremely active cat), so keeping her quiet for a couple of days was impossible. She did develop a slight bulge at the incision site, but it went down to normal gradually.

Cindy

Thanks...They got fixed very young? Our vet won't fix cats until they are 6 months old, so that is why I have to wait a bit more.

Tundra_Queen
October 19th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I am supposed to recommend (shelter stuff) you do not switch cat litter, but instead take some newspaper and shred it over top the litter to keep the dust down.

Personally though, I have never had an issue. My one cat had his leg amputated and was supposed to use Yesterdays News. Well, he never used it, and instead slept in it :laughing: he thought it was so comfy! So I gave up, donated the rest of the bag to the shelter and just carefully let him use a small litter pan. He never had an issue.

(Sorry, I still don't know how to do multiple quotes. I click on mult quotes but only get the one I clicked on.)

kathryn that is cute that your boy thought the Yesterdays News was comfy! :laughing:

Love4himies
October 20th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Everybody has offered very good advice so I don't have anything to add but sending :goodvibes: and :pray: that all goes well and your female won't be too hyper afterwards.

clm
October 20th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks...They got fixed very young? Our vet won't fix cats until they are 6 months old, so that is why I have to wait a bit more.

Yes, Mookie and Squeak were fixed by the rescue group just before we adopted them. Far too young IMO and my vets, but what was done was done. They were fine, so that's all the counts.
We weren't sure about Gabby's age, so the vet was willing to do before he would normally as we didn't want to risk a pregnancy.

Cindy

kathryn
October 20th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Everyone has different opinions on the fixing age. Shelters around here are mandatory 8weeks/2lbs prior to adoption, unless a medical condition. Having done it both ways, 6 months and 8 weeks, I prefer the 8 weeks one. They heal faster. Haven't had anyone long enough for any 'long term studies' but my short term studies are the younger the better.

Just do it before they go into heat!!! THat's all that matters!!!!!!!

Tundra_Queen
October 20th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks everyone for you advice and help. :) And I definately want to do it before she goes into heat! :eek:

Debbie