Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Games, activities for Beagle/Basset mixes?

usf5678
October 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I have an 8 month Beagle/Basset hound mix and need ideas for games and/or activities we can play with him indoors. He has been quite restless lately and I think it is because he is bored. Thanks!

t.pettet
October 17th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Would you consider getting him a play-mate, another pup of approx. size that he could bond with and wrestle, play tug-of-war and chase? There is an excess amount of dogs at shelters or rescues who are presently caged (some on death-row) and just dying to be adopted into a loving home. Being a single dog is very boring especially for a puppy and if he's showing destructive behaviour its his way of communicating his frustration. Theres an old saying: 'a tired dog is a well behaved dog'.

mona_b
October 18th, 2008, 12:30 AM
If he's getting more restless,then extra walks will help.If you have a yard,then toss a ball around.Or you play tug-of-war with him.:)

usf5678
October 20th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I wish we could get another dog, but he will have to settle with play-mates. Thanks for the ideas! We walk twice a day and he loves it!

bendyfoot
October 20th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Has he been neutered yet?

Soter
October 20th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Maybe thats it! (if he is restless with two walks a day) Has he been neutered yet???

Maybe if you have time you could try three small walks, instead of two average ones. It would occupy his mind and fill up the day, but in most cases it isn't an option... work, going out... ect

You can get these balls where if a dog rolls them around it gets a treat occasinally, from the ball i mean. It takes ages for the dog to empty the ball of treats (or his dinner, in some cases) so that would mean no bordom, if the dog knew that while rolling he would get a treat often....

Soter

usf5678
October 20th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Yes, he was neutered at 6 months. I tried the treat dispenser and it only worked a few times. He got bored pretty quick. He is one active puppy!