Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

baby oil?

petlady
October 16th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Will it hurt dogs and cats to rub baby oil into their coats once a week or so?

Tundra_Queen
October 17th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Hi
I myself wouldn't do it. What happens if the dog licks it off? Or if it accidently got into their lungs.

I remember a couple being on the Oprah show years ago about their child dying because baby oil got into the childs lungs and slowly suffocated because the oil did something to the lung cells.

Debbie

hazelrunpack
October 17th, 2008, 12:33 AM
In dogs at least, fish oil supplements work from the inside to condition their coats till they're shiny and soft. :thumbs up Just put the oil on their food and let them snarf it up. :D It's totally edible and you don't have to worry about the side effects of a mineral oil like baby oil.

Cass had itchy, flaky dry skin every winter till we started giving her the oil every other day on her evening meal. She hasn't had a problem since. :dog:

growler~GateKeeper
October 17th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Will it hurt dogs and cats to rub baby oil into their coats once a week or so?

Are you wanting to improve the condition of the coat & skin? Look into supplementing with Salmon oil, Omega 3's and a good quality food.

Tundra Queen is right anything that is put on the coat/skin will be licked off by themselves or another animal. There may also be something in the scents that can cause irritation of the skin.

Baby oil is just scented mineral oil, when ingested mineral oil clogs the fat-soluable vitamins in the intestines which can lead to a vitamin deficiency, it can also lead to death if inhaled into the lungs.

babymomma
October 17th, 2008, 06:19 AM
You can by different oils into wal-mart for like 3 dollars that are made for dogs. From what i have heard they are purrfectly safe and I have bought the coconut one to try on my dog, but im trying to do some reserch on it before i use it to make sure it really is safe. I hope it is because it smells magnificent!

Longblades
October 17th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Quite apart from the health concerns if the animal ingests or inhales baby oil, have you thought of the mess it will make on your clothes, carpet, wall when it rubs off on them? And it will attract and hold dust and dirt in the animals coat and stuff it has rubbed off on.

badger
October 17th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Babymomma, I would be concerned about coconut oil that costs only
3$, whatever the safety claims. You're better off and your dog will be too if you buy organic coconut oil at the health food store. It will be more expensive, sure, but at least you know it's pure. Even additives that have been declared 'safe' may not be.
And you're better to put a teaspoon in his food rather than on his coat.

babymomma
October 17th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Babymomma, I would be concerned about coconut oil that costs only
3$, whatever the safety claims. You're better off and your dog will be too if you buy organic coconut oil at the health food store. It will be more expensive, sure, but at least you know it's pure. Even additives that have been declared 'safe' may not be.
And you're better to put a teaspoon in his food rather than on his coat.

Omg, You are soo right:wall: Never even crossed my mind how strangely cheap it was.. I will definatly not use it on her. Thanks for the tip, i will get some organic coconut oil to use.

Thanks again:thumbs up

badger
October 17th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I've got some and it smells divine, not perfume-y just that coconut rush. A friend of mine puts it on her toast (it congeals at very low temps):rolleyes:

Etown_Chick
October 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Coconut oil also makes a great hair conditioner for humans - rub it in, leave it on for ten mins, shampoo out, wonderful stuff.

Bina
October 17th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I would skip the baby oil and give a fish oil supplement in the food.
Otherwise, don't some vet clinics sell a spray to control dander....?