Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Save my sanity/suggestions?

pitgrrl
October 16th, 2008, 12:40 PM
So Streets has a ruptured anal gland. Licking the area is a disaster waiting to happen. Luckily, I'm working from home at the moment, so I can watch him (though being totally housebound is getting a bit old at this point--good thing I love him), but I got literally 3 hours of sleep last night because I was chasing him around the house trying to stop his butt licking mission.

I tried a pair of underwear, but he got them off within 2 minutes of my head hitting the pillow. There are dog disposable diapers, but I'm terrified he'd rip them off and eat them, leading to a bigger problem.

Any suggestions on keeping him away from his bottom so I can get some sleep?

Frenchy
October 16th, 2008, 12:42 PM
put ... the .... cone .... on .... your .... boy !!!!!!

pitgrrl
October 16th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Last time there was a cone in the house, it resulted in many injuries to myself and the dogs. The cone is a very dangerous weapon in the paws of Basil and Streets :laughing:

Maybe I can go to the yuppie baby store down the block and get a cloth diaper thing and cut a hole for his little stumpy tails? :shrug:

Frenchy
October 16th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Maybe I can go to the yuppie baby store down the block and get a cloth diaper thing and cut a hole for his little stumpy tails? :shrug:

:headslap:

ok but if you do , we'll need pictures :D

pitgrrl
October 16th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Do you think it would work? Maybe it's a dumb idea.....

aslan
October 16th, 2008, 12:50 PM
what about that donut thing that leo's mom posted. hmmm lets see if i can find the thread.

Frenchy
October 16th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Do you think it would work? Maybe it's a dumb idea.....

it would be great ... for a picture :laughing: but he could still reach the area trust me.

aslan
October 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM
/www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=55693&highlight=leo

pitgrrl
October 16th, 2008, 12:53 PM
what about that donut thing that leo's mom posted. hmmm lets see if i can find the thread.

That's what the BF keeps talking about, they have them at his work, but I feel like he'd get around it.

Argh...............

pitgrrl
October 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM
it would be great ... for a picture :laughing: but he could still reach the area trust me.

Well thanks for bursting my bubble Frenchy (eww, I shouldn't even think about anything bursting......). :laughing:

Fine, I have the solution, I'm sending him to your house.

......really though, how about those dog underwear for dogs in heat? Would that work?:shrug:

Frenchy
October 16th, 2008, 01:05 PM
......really though, how about those dog underwear for dogs in heat? Would that work?:shrug:

I think he still could get around that .... and these are pretty expensive :eek:

pitgrrl
October 16th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Are they? Well &$@*!

14+kitties
October 16th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Is there a salve you can put on the glands that may help heal them and that he absolutely hates the taste of? :shrug: Maybe the vet can advise.

happycats
October 16th, 2008, 01:21 PM
a muzzle, the one that lets them breathe and is safe ?

rainbow
October 16th, 2008, 01:29 PM
What about a pair of longjohns? If you can modify them to fit he shouldn't be able to get them off. :shrug: Or, anything else that is a one piece type garment. :shrug:

Poor Streets. :sad: :grouphug: Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

BenMax
October 16th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Last time there was a cone in the house, it resulted in many injuries to myself and the dogs. The cone is a very dangerous weapon in the paws of Basil and Streets :laughing:

I did exactly this for my foster (unclean) dog. This way you do not have to worry about him eating plastic!

MommaKat
October 16th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I know it sounds lame but you seem willing to do anything to keep him from busting his stitches. Have you thought about a baby 1pc sleeper? cut the footsies out and make a hole for the tale. They have zippers so I can't see him getting out of it. Not sure how big he is but maybe toddler jammies would be big enough. Good luck!

BenMax
October 16th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I know it sounds lame but you seem willing to do anything to keep him from busting his stitches. Have you thought about a baby 1pc sleeper? cut the footsies out and make a hole for the tale. They have zippers so I can't see him getting out of it. Not sure how big he is but maybe toddler jammies would be big enough. Good luck!

Hey nice idea!

rainbow
October 16th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I thought it was a good idea too but Streets is a fairly big boy so that's why I suggested the onepiece longjohns modified to fit. :shrug:

MommaKat
October 16th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Ooh just had another idea! Is he crate trained? if he is could you get a crate that's a teensy bit smaller than him so he can't turn around to lick his stitches? or maybe that's too mean :confused: ? I really feel for you though, good luck!

:grouphug:

rainbow
October 16th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Here's a nice red pair that would look good on him and we want pics of course. :D

MommaKat
October 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I thought it was a good idea too but Streets is a fairly big boy so that's why I suggested the onepiece longjohns modified to fit. :shrug:

that's a good point, if she is a sewer maybe she could make them bigger? Though I do remember my 5yr old nephew having 1pc jammies. Maybe childrens jogging pants because of the draw string? or would he eat that :shrug: ?

pitgrrl
October 16th, 2008, 03:22 PM
He's around 50lbs, so I don't think baby stuff will fit. I have the BF searching the basement at work (he works at a dog/cat boutique) for any one piece PJ type things, but so far he's only found stuff for tiny dogs.

I would loooooove to find one piece red longjohns for the boy, but I've only ever seen them in man sizes.

Maybe I could sew him some shorts or alter little boy's long johns somehow :shrug:.......of course, that would require leaving the house, which I can't do till the boy gets home from work :yell:

AmericanBullMom
October 16th, 2008, 04:38 PM
My pet store has the cones, but they are made of nylon fabric instead of the hard plastic...maybe less damaging to home and human legs??

Tundra_Queen
October 17th, 2008, 08:07 PM
:headslap:

ok but if you do , we'll need pictures :D

:laughing::laughing:

Tundra_Queen
October 17th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Hi
That soft ring thing looks like a ring innertube that little kids use at the beach. Maybe u could find one at Canadian Tire?

MommaKat
October 17th, 2008, 08:21 PM
so what happened? is streets wearing jammies or long johns? if so I want pictures :lovestruck: :laughing: !

pitgrrl
October 20th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Well, here's a picture of the current experiment.....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3155/2958519353_8cb9321d89_b.jpg

breeze
October 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM
and where is the hole for his tail????

:D

pitgrrl
October 20th, 2008, 03:20 PM
He doesn't really have one.....:laughing:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/pitgrrl/dogbutt.jpg

breeze
October 20th, 2008, 03:22 PM
well that would explain it wouldn't it..:D:D

rainbow
October 20th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I LOVE that butt shot. :lovestruck:

rainbow
October 20th, 2008, 03:46 PM
and where is the hole for his tail????
:D

He doesn't really have one.....:laughing:

Ummm...how does he pee? :D

breeze
October 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Ummm...how does he pee? :D

I would think she takes it off to go pee then back on it goes....

rainbow
October 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I would think she takes it off to go pee then back on it goes....

But there's no time for that....when he's gotta go, he's gotta go.

breeze
October 20th, 2008, 04:00 PM
But there's no time for that....when he's gotta go, he's gotta go.

they are quick release ones, for those got to go moments..:D

pitgrrl
October 20th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Don't worry Rainbow, it's only for when I have to *gasp* leave the dogs alone for a few minutes. Not that that happens too often :rolleyes:

rainbow
October 20th, 2008, 05:04 PM
How is the poor boy doing now? :goodvibes:

pitgrrl
October 20th, 2008, 05:34 PM
He's healing, slowly. It kind of worries me that the antibiotics are almost done and the gland is still obviously inflamed or something, but the exterior wound is pretty much healed up so I guess that's a good thing. :shrug:

rainbow
October 20th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Does he go back to the vet for a checkup once the antibiotics are done?

pitgrrl
October 20th, 2008, 06:33 PM
We go back on Wednesday, which I think is the day the prescription is done. I just hope it heals up and it doesn't become some long term issue.

rainbow
October 21st, 2008, 12:48 AM
I hope so too......good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
October 21st, 2008, 12:55 AM
:laughing: great job on the doggie pants :thumbs up keep the pic for the book you're gonna write ;)
Love the 2 bums shot :laughing:

I hate to say it but you'll want to keep the doggie pants for the next time usually if it happens once they're more prone to getting them again :frustrated:

AmericanBullMom
October 21st, 2008, 07:10 AM
Love the little shorts...but the longjohns would have been soooo much funnier! :laughing:
Love the butt shots too...Patrón's tail was docked too, only I was pretty sure breed standard was that American Bulls kept their tail... But where Patrón is from they were bred as Hog Dogs... the less apendages the better... Sad, awful sport. :sad: Opps sorry :offtopic:
What kind of camera do you have?? the pics are so clear!

pitgrrl
October 21st, 2008, 10:02 AM
I hate to say it but you'll want to keep the doggie pants for the next time usually if it happens once they're more prone to getting them again :frustrated:

Lalalalalallalalalalallalaa <------that's me not listening to you and choosing to believe it's a one time fluke thing. :laughing:

Love the butt shots too...Patrón's tail was docked too, only I was pretty sure breed standard was that American Bulls kept their tail... But where Patrón is from they were bred as Hog Dogs... the less apendages the better... Sad, awful sport. :sad: Opps sorry :offtopic:
What kind of camera do you have?? the pics are so clear!

In Streets and Basil's case I think it's a matter of some idiot thinking they could pass them off as Boxers.........which, actually, might work since people are constantly asking if they're baby Boxers/Cane Corsos/Mastiffs :shrug:

The camera is a Nikon D200.