Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy alone: dont know what to do

ashtoreth
October 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM
A while ago I wrote a post about me having to leave Titus (4 months old Husky puppy) at home during the day because work was so bad, I couldn't take any minutes for lunch.

I'm happy to say everything went smooth and perfect, when my boyfriend walked inside at 4:15, he was slowly waking up from what seemed to be a long nap (he sleeps a lot when we're gone, we actually installed a web cam to check on him, and he either sleeps or eat his Kong ^^)

Now however, my boss seems to think because I left him alone one day I can do it every day and told me that I couldn't go see him as much, maybe once or twice a week, top. I have a friend who's helping out once a week (cleaning lady and she takes care of Titus) (cleaning lady is needed since I'm severely asthmatic and can't clean without having a major asthma attack, which sucks, believe me) And I can go once a week, maybe twice if I nag enough.

Since then, he had 2 accidents, never in his cage and always when we were there to watch him. He just looks at us and does his "ninja pee" as we call it. We simply take him outside and clean (with the natures miracle stuff) But he didn't do that in a while, so I think it might be because of that.

Now I don't know what to do, I know 4 months is too early (even though he clearly can hold it) to be left alone for 7 hours (I decided to start an hour later and since my boyfriend always goes home at 4, he's alone for 7h top) But I can also not afford to be fired (duh) don't get me wrong, I'm looking for another job (the inssurance and fun we have at work isn't worth the bull$h!t they are giving us since a year) but I can't afford it now... (Insurance are needed for me and especially my boyfriend who's meds costs a lot (diabetes (type1) and epilepsy)

So, I have no idea what I can do and I feel awful about it... If anyone has any miracle under their sleeves, I'd like to have one heh.

MommaKat
October 16th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Don't feel bad! This is a problem many of us face. It sucks your boss is not understanding :sad: .

I would suggest doggie day care except that gets really pricey everyday. Have you tried asking friends/family or neighbors if they would be willing to let him out? or if they know someone who would do it for free or a little token money? I have a friend who will do it for us simply because he adores our animals :lovestruck:

Ask around, you would be surprised by people just wanting to be around your sweet husky :cloud9:

AmericanBullMom
October 16th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I was going to say the same thing as Mommakat.... You'd be VERY surprised ot see how man ypeolpe would LOVE to play with your puppy! Just make sure its someone you trust!

ashtoreth
October 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM
yea I know, the problem is everyone I know works or are in school, I had a friend who took care of him a lot, but he found a job now (hehe, he finished school and struggled to find a job in his field, so he took care of Titus for a month and a half o.0, helped me a lot)

I'll ask around though.

I just have the feeling by the time i'll find a way he'll be old enough LOL

laura3278
October 16th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Since the age of 3.5 months we have been leaving our puppy home alone while we work. We use a crate and it has been excellent for us. There has been a couple of medical emergencies and we had to keep her in the crate for up to 10 hours. Before, she got spayed I would get up early and make sure that she has something to eat and do a #1 & 2 and I played with her for approx 30-45 mins each morning. Sometimes it not even playing, it just quality time with her. The major of the time, she is just waking up when I get home.
At the moment, my husband is away and I am the sole person looking after her and I do worried quite a bit about her. I have bought a holder for water that connect to the crate and I have pillows, blankets & her favourite stuff toy. I do put in treats and one or two toys in there. She is located in the our bedroom and I have the lights and the tv on while I am gone.She never have any accident, even when she had gastro.
Unfortunately, I worked 30 minutes away and with the lunch time traffic I am unable to come home to check on her. There has been a couple of times that I had to leave in an emergency and I left her in our bedroom without putting her in crate. When I came back she was asleep. After I get home, I spend lots of quality time with her.Hope this will calm your mind.

Longblades
October 17th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Maybe you need to look into the labour laws for your province. You are surely entitled to a break after certain hours of work and your boss has no say in what you do on your break as long as you are back at work on time. I understand it may be difficult to approach or enforce this topic without repercussions though.

mona_b
October 17th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I would suggest doggie day care except that gets really pricey everyday. Have you tried asking friends/family or neighbors if they would be willing to let him out? or if they know someone who would do it for free or a little token money? I have a friend who will do it for us simply because he adores our animals :lovestruck:

Ask around, you would be surprised by people just wanting to be around your sweet husky :cloud9:

I also agree with this.

I never crated any of my dogs.Like I've stated before,my parents never crated any dogs,even the ones we had as I was a child.It was never thought of back in the days.My neice adopted two pups and my nephew has the other sibling.They are not being crated.

With me not crating,I had no problems house training.And by 5 1/2 months,my guys had free run of the house.

I guess I just couldn't picture having my pups in a crate for a long period of time.Especially if an emergency came up and I would be home later.That's just me...:)