Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Debate

RoscoeIsMyDog
October 15th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Thought McCain did great. He could of had a few better hits onto Obama if he just explained more. Anyhow, your thoughts?

kanis
October 16th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I think they both had their moments.

McCain tried to distance himself from the Bush Administration with his "I'm not President Bush" comment. But he can't distance himself from his voting record nor that fact that his running mate is inept.

Obama was a little slow to start but then picked up his momentum and kept his cool the whole time.

No knockout comments but they both had their jabs.

BTW: I'm sick of hearing about "Joe Six Pack" or "Joe the Plumber". I understand what they're trying to do but it comes off as condescending to me.

RoscoeIsMyDog
October 16th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Agreed no knock out punches. It seems in the 2nd and 3rd debate McCain came out 'swinging' then slowly lost momentum and Obama took over. I just hope people don't vote on how debates go but more on their plans, and their history. I think Obama did great at lying with the who Ayers thing and he lied made a non-accident lie when McCain said he launched his campaign in Ayers living room, I mean theirs documents. Obama is lucky though, seems that when he gets caught in a lie he can get right out and no one cares. Anyhow the debate I think went well in both parties eyes.
Oh the Joe six pack is what a liberal news writer calls Palin and Joe the plumber is a guy who approached Obama and asked about his tax plan.

poodletalk
October 16th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I love the debates, it's the best comedy show on TV. With Joe six pack and Joe the Plumber, who knows they may be friends? The debates are defiantly not boring, with such classic lines: Shout outs to a grade three class, hockey moms, Joe six pack, Joe the plumber; my friend Warren Buffet etc.

No knock out punches for sure, the problem with the Presidential debates, Obama speaks very elegantly, he knows what people want to hear and how to say it which helps him get out of trouble.

On the other hand, McCain does not speak eloquently, he has a lisp, when he gets flustered, his come out wrong and it's very painful to watch him walk around because he looks stiff. But you must give McCain a lot of credit for running, he was a prisoner of war, all his life was dedicated to the American people which you can’t say about Obama.

Personally, I'm more impressed with Obama's VP then him, even though I give credit to McCain, I would have liked to see Condoleezza Rice and Colin Powell running for the Republican party.

For all of you doing a drinking game right now, Maverick! (Tina Fey impersonating Sarah Palin)

joeysmama
October 18th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I worry about the political process when it seems as though people are voting based on personality. Years ago when Kennedy and Nixon debated not everyone watched on television -- back then a lot of people still enjoyed listening to the debate on radio.

The polls showed that people who listened to the debate scored Nixon as the winner but people who WATCHED the debate gave the more handsome and charismatic Kennedy the win !

I'd like to see an election where we aren't allowed to see the candidates but can only READ about their records and what their platforms are. I know something like that can never happen but wouldn't it be nice if people were somehow FORCED to look at the issues and not vote on likability. I just don't think that most people who vote take the time to learn where the candidates stand and what that means to us as a country. Just my :2cents:

hazelrunpack
October 18th, 2008, 09:05 PM
omg, joeysmama, I really like that idea! :highfive: In a perfect world, eh? :D by the way, hazel is just old enough to remember the Kennedy/Nixon debates :p

The thing that is bothering me the most this year is that even with all the history that this election will make regardless of which party wins, there is so much apathy out there. I've been making calls for one of the campaigns and I think about 80% of the people I've contacted have indicated that they don't vote, they won't be voting this time, and they don't think about the issues. :eek: That's frightening to me. It's not a democracy if people don't participate! :shrug:

ancientgirl
October 20th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I just want this to be all over with already. The mudslinging is really making me sick.

I did my part and voted today. I'm really glad we are able to do this now, because it's so much better to just do it at your convenience than to have to schlep to a polling place with hundreds/thousands of other people who are there at the same time.

hazelrunpack
October 20th, 2008, 01:45 PM
You were able to vote absentee, AG?

We have less than 65 voters registered for the whole double township, so we never have to wait in line :laughing: Another advantage to living in such an isolated area. :D

I can't wait for it to be over, either. I dont even turn on the TV anymore cuz I'm so sick of the ads. :frustrated:

ancientgirl
October 20th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Hazel, they open early voting locations from October 20 to November 2 here. I think a few other states do the same. I don't know why, but I'm guessing maybe since we are notorious for messing things up. :laughing:

It really is an incredible hassle to vote on election day. The last election I had to wait for almost 3 hours, and I got to the polling site super early, practically when they opened! But with early voting, there are several locations anybody can go to, I think there are around 15 or 20 all around town. They are even opened on the weekends!

It's also good to go early, because if you do have a problem with your voters registration you can get it taken care of by the time November 4 rolls around.

I'll tell you, whenever I see an ad, I change the channel. I don't like the misleading and just downright dirty playing. If I could just go to sleep and wake up on November 5th, I'd be a happy camper.

hazelrunpack
October 20th, 2008, 01:53 PM
That's kind of cool...voting early. Must be a hassle for the election clerks, though. I don't think Wisconsin allows it.

Is that available all over Florida, or just in some of the larger municipalities?

ancientgirl
October 20th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I think it's also good. This way they don't have to do it all in one night. And it's less crowded when a lot of the population has voted. This is great if you already have your mind made up, so I figured why not.

It's all over Florida and I believe they do it in Nevada as well. I'm sure there are other states that allow it as well. I'm not sure what the requirements are. I should look that up. Now I'm curious!

I just found this:

Aug. 26
PENNSYLVANIA
Excuse required. Ballots have already gone out to overseas military voters and to voters in remote parts of the state.
Sept. 15
NORTH CAROLINA
No excuse required. Absentee ballots became available on Sept. 15. Ballots can be returned by mail or in person. Formal early voting takes place between Oct. 16 to Nov. 1 at one-stop sites, including shopping malls.
SOUTH CAROLINA
Excuse required. Varies by county, but some counties may have ballots prepared for voters as early as this week. Ballots must be returned by 7 p.m. on Election Day. In-person absentee voting takes place at local voter registration offices until 5 p.m. on Nov. 3.
Sept. 18
KENTUCKY
Excuse required. In-person voting began Sept. 18 in Jefferson County. Individuals in that county can go to their clerk's office and vote on actual machines. Other counties began following suit on Sept. 22.
MICHIGAN
Excuse required. Varies by county, but ballots began going out in Wayne County last week.
Sept. 19
VIRGINIA
Excuse required. Fairfax County has started accepting ballots. State law calls for absentee ballots to go out 45 days before the election. Because this date fell on a Saturday (Sept. 20), ballots didn't start going out until Monday, Sept. 22.
Sept. 20
MAINE
No excuse required. Absentee ballots are available 30 to 45 days before the election at the municipal clerk's office. They can be mailed in or dropped off.
Sept. 22
GEORGIA
No excuse required. Early voting started Sept. 22 by mail or in person. Any registered Georgia voter can go to their county elections office and cast their ballot in person. Additional satellite voting centers will open in larger counties the week before Election Day.
Sept. 23
MISSOURI
Excuse required. Absentee voting begins six weeks prior to Election Day.
SOUTH DAKOTA
No excuse required. Counties should send ballots out by Sept. 23. Ballots can either be mailed in by 3 p.m. on Election Day or submit in person prior to Nov. 4.
Sept. 25
IOWA
No excuse required. In-person absentee voting takes place between Sept. 25 and Nov. 3.
WYOMING
No excuse required. Absentee ballots can be picked up, mailed in or brought in person beginning Sept. 25. They must be returned by 7 p.m. on Election Day.
NEW JERSEY
No excuse required.
Sept. 26
ALABAMA
Excuse required. Absentee ballots will be mailed out Sept. 26. Voters can apply and submit ballots in person at courthouses or through the mail.
Sept. 30
NEBRASKA
No excuse required. Voters can cast early ballots in person or by mail.
OHIO
No excuse required. The state is making an early voting push, particularly in places like Columbus, to avoid the long lines seen in 2004.
Oct. 2
ARIZONA
No excuse required. Absentee ballots go out on Oct. 2 and must be returned by Oct. 31.
Oct. 3
CONNECTICUT
Excuse required. Absentee ballots go out 31 days before the election. The ballots can be returned by mail or in person.
Oct. 5
MINNESOTA
Excuse required. Ballots will mailed out as early as Oct. 5. They can be mailed or brought in person.
MONTANA
No excuse required. Early voting ballots can be mailed in or hand delivered.
VERMONT
No excuse required. Ballots can be mailed in or sent in person.
Oct. 6
CALIFORNIA
No excuse required. Voting by mail begins Oct. 6, when ballots are sent out. Voters can also vote at local registrars offices. Early voting varies by county, but likely won't happen before the 6th.
INDIANA
Excuse required for mail-in balloting. No excuse required for in-person voting. The deadline for absentee-by-mail applications is Oct. 27.
Oct. 7
NEW MEXICO
No excuse required. Absentee ballots are available starting Oct. 7 at county locations. They can be submitted in person or by mail. When formal early voting begins on Oct. 18, there will be more locations available.
Oct. 13
ILLINOIS
Excuse required for mail-in ballots. No excuse required for in-person voting. Most early voting begins Oct. 14. and ends Oct. 30.
Oct. 14
IDAHO
No excuse required. Early voting takes place between Oct. 14 and Nov. 3. Forms to request absentee ballots went out around Sept. 19.
MARYLAND
Excuse required. Ballots are available three weeks before the election. Maryland has no formal early voting system.
OREGON
No excuse required. Ballots are mailed out about three weeks before the election. All voting is done by mail. Ballots can also be dropped off at specific locations.
MASSACHUSETTS
Excuse required. Ballots are mailed out three weeks before the election.
WISCONSIN
No excuse required. Ballots are available starting Oct. 14. Ballots must be mailed in or dropped off in person by 5 p.m. the day before the election.
Oct. 15
KANSAS
No excuse required. Early voting takes place from Oct. 15 until Nov. 3.
TENNESSEE
Excuse required. Early voting (both in person and via mail) takes places from Oct. 15 until Oct. 30.
WEST VIRGINIA
Excuse required for mail-in ballots. No excuse is required for in-person voting. In person voting takes place from Oct. 15 until Nov. 1.
Oct. 17
WASHINGTON
No excuse needed. Washington State has largely moved to a vote-by-mail system. Only King and Pierce Counties have polling places. Ballots must be mailed out before Oct. 17.
Oct. 18
NEVADA
No excuse required. Early voting takes place between Oct. 18 and Oct. 31.
TEXAS
No excuse required. Early voting takes place from Oct. 18 until Oct. 31.
Oct. 20
ALASKA
No excuse required. In-person voting takes place at regional election office buildings and airports.
ARKANSAS
No excuse required. In-person absentee voting takes place at designated locations.
COLORADO
No excuse required.
DELAWARE
Excuse required. Absentee ballots can be returned by mail or in person.
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
Excuse required. In-person and mail-in absentee voting takes place between Oct. 20 and Nov. 2.
FLORIDA
No excuse required. Early voting takes place between Oct. 20 and Nov. 2. Early voting sites will be selected on Oct. 4.
NORTH DAKOTA
No excuse required.
Oct. 21
HAWAII
No excuse required. Early voting takes place between Oct. 21 and Nov. 1.
LOUISIANA
Excuse required. Early voting takes place between Oct. 21 and Oct. 28.
UTAH
No excuse required.
Oct. 31
OKLAHOMA
No excuse required. Voting takes place from Oct. 31 to Nov. 3.

kandy
October 23rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
I haven't watched any of the debates, but I've read the analysis from several different sites after each one. I have also researched the issues that are important to me to see which candidate more closely matches my feelings on those issues. The HSUS has their 'voting record scorecard' available to view now - and that tells you how every US Senator or Congressman has voted on various animal rights issues. Not that I base my decisions on just animal rights views, but it is another source of information. :)

While there are things I like and don't like about each of the candidates, I think the one thing that really worries me is McCain's health. If he were to be elected, I think there is a very strong possibility that Palin would end up president - and I find that extremely scary.

Not too long ago, I attended a seminar about the differences between the mature generation, the baby boomers, gen x and gen y. One of the things that I found very interesting is that most of gen y trusts the mature generation the most, they view them as having the most power, the most money and the most knowledge. Almost every person under the age of 30 that I have asked says that they plan to vote for McCain - and of course that fits because he is in the mature generation.

I too am sick of the mudslinging and I'll be happy when it's over.

ancientgirl
October 23rd, 2008, 05:07 PM
Kandy, Palin scares the crap out of me.

Can you post that link to the HSUS candidate site?

kanis
November 5th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Congratulations to Barack Obama! Woo hoo! What a historic moment!

hazelrunpack
November 5th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Kandy, Palin scares the crap out of me.

Of the four candidates, she was the only one with executive branch experience. And of all the candidates, Sen Obama has the least experience overall.

That scares the crap out of me! :shrug:

kathryn
November 5th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I was more scared of McCain... and then scared McCain would die and Sarah Palin would be in charge.

I'm fine with Barack. Biden seems nice too. They seem like they would make good decisions with a level head and actually you know, listen to the american people instead of blowing a bunch of countries up and all that crap without our approval.

I originally was a Hillary supporter :evil: hahahhahaha but it's all good I got my mom to vote for Obama and that's that...

Love4himies
November 5th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I was more scared of McCain... and then scared McCain would die and Sarah Palin would be in charge.

I'm fine with Barack. Biden seems nice too. They seem like they would make good decisions with a level head and actually you know, listen to the american people instead of blowing a bunch of countries up and all that crap without our approval.

I originally was a Hillary supporter :evil: hahahhahaha but it's all good I got my mom to vote for Obama and that's that...

I really liked Hillary and would have been my first choice :thumbs up

chico2
November 5th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Well,I am glad Obama won,now we'll see how the world reacts..as for the war,I read somewhere Obama was talking about an all out attack on Afghanistan,maybe even Iran,because of it's tie to terrorism,hopefully that was wrong:pray:
I actually thought Pallin was a joke,she is the reason McCain lost,her ideals of pro-gun,anti-abortion,anti-gay etc,etc...
America has to change,to save itself and it's people,gain new respect in the world.. CONGRATS:usa::ca:!!

ancientgirl
November 5th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Even though Palin did have more executive experience than Obama, I didn't think that really meant she was ready to lead this country. She left her small town that she was mayor of with a huge debt and the issue with wolves, polar bears and hunting, incredibly soured me on her.

I'm just happy this election is over with and we can get down to dealing with the issues this country is facing.

And in my local news I'm VERY happy a proposition I'd voted on passed. Here's what it will do:

Private landowners are stewards to some of the best wildlife habitat in the state. Amendment 4 would provide important incentives for these land holders to protect wildlife habitat and water resources across the state.

Amendment 4 would:

* Provide a 100 percent property tax exemption for landowners who choose to set aside land for perpetual conservation.
* Allow land used for conservation purposes, but hasnít been permanently set aside, to be taxed according to its conservation use.

I think that's such a great step forward to helping out the wildlife in this state.

Jim Hall
November 5th, 2008, 09:05 AM
excellent ancient

Love4himies
November 5th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Even though Palin did have more executive experience than Obama, I didn't think that really meant she was ready to lead this country. She left her small town that she was mayor of with a huge debt and the issue with wolves, polar bears and hunting, incredibly soured me on her.

I'm just happy this election is over with and we can get down to dealing with the issues this country is facing.

And in my local news I'm VERY happy a proposition I'd voted on passed. Here's what it will do:

Private landowners are stewards to some of the best wildlife habitat in the state. Amendment 4 would provide important incentives for these land holders to protect wildlife habitat and water resources across the state.

Amendment 4 would:

* Provide a 100 percent property tax exemption for landowners who choose to set aside land for perpetual conservation.
* Allow land used for conservation purposes, but hasnít been permanently set aside, to be taxed according to its conservation use.

I think that's such a great step forward to helping out the wildlife in this state.

Great proposition, ancientgirl. In the small subdivision we live in, we have 65 acres deeded to the landowners (28 lots), this common land has been declared conservation land by the developer and can't be touched by any common owner, except to walk on. We do not have to pay land tax on that land.

ancientgirl
November 5th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Yes, I was beyond thrilled when I saw it passed. I didn't even know it would be on the ballot until I read it. I've been hoping since I voted that it would pass.

There is just so much land encroachment these days and people just don't realize, animals need a place to live too! They were here first, and we can't just keep shipping them off to further places away from "our" cities only to then move into their land again. It's going to come to a point, where they have nowhere to go!

kandy
November 5th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Can you post that link to the HSUS candidate site?

Sorry I didn't see this until now.

Here's a link to their scorecards, not that it will help you this time, but still a good source for information.
http://www.fund.org/humanescorecard/

BenMax
November 5th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I actually thought Pallin was a joke,she is the reason McCain lost,her ideals of pro-gun,anti-abortion,anti-gay etc,etc...
America has to change,to save itself and it's people,gain new respect in the world.. CONGRATS:usa::ca:!!

I have to agree with Chico2 - I don't think that Palin helped the cause. Not to mention her hunting expeditions....