Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I got a new job~!

kathryn
October 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM
This is 'on topic' because it's at a pet supply shop!

http://billswonderlandofpets.com/

wheee! I start probably next tuesday.

So far
Tuesdays and Thursdays 9:30-1
Friday nights 5-9

I'm a cashier! Wish me luck! :o I know the store really well... It's where I buy almost all the stuff for my kitties. Plus my shelter sets up a table outside the store once a month to try and get animals adopted and hand out information.

I was in there buying Wellness for my foster kittens and was checking out and all of a sudden Bill (the owner) popped out of no where (he usually does this) and was like HEY! When's your birthday? So I told him I'd be 17 on the 17th. And so he got me an application and asked if I wanted to work part time. I had applied there before but I was too young. So yup yup it was kind of all random and stuff. But he's pretty much a random guy to be honest :rolleyes:

I can wear my shelter shirts as my uniform too he wants me to advertise for adoptions and whatnot! whooppee!

t.pettet
October 15th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Congrats, just don't spend the 'entire' paycheck on kitty toys.:)

Jim Hall
October 15th, 2008, 07:14 PM
excellent good luck

is this your first real job?

Diamondsmum
October 15th, 2008, 07:22 PM
awwww Kathryn That is wonderful news Congrats!!!

kathryn
October 15th, 2008, 08:08 PM
excellent good luck

is this your first real job?

Nope. I worked at a supermarket for about 16 AWFUL months. It was a real job. It sucked too. This job will be a million times better.

Thanks everyone :) The reason I'm getting a job is to pay for stuff for my cats :laughing: So, I'm going to be basically working at the store, then turning around and spending my paycheck on cat food :p

TulipRoxy
October 15th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Hopefully you'll get discounts! :) Good Luck!

Frenchy
October 15th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Hopefully you'll get discounts! :) Good Luck!

Yes discounts ! :thumbs up congratulations kathryn !

growler~GateKeeper
October 15th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I can wear my shelter shirts as my uniform too he wants me to advertise for adoptions and whatnot! whooppee!

that's awesome Kathryn :highfive: and especially wonderful about him letting you advertise for the shelter :thumbs up WTG

krdahmer
October 15th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Congrats... sounds like the perfect job for ya!:thumbs up

rainbow
October 16th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Congratulations Kathryn :highfive: ....I think you will be a great asset to the store. :thumbs up

Love4himies
October 16th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Great news, Kathryn :thumbs up. I think you will do extremely well there.

14+kitties
October 16th, 2008, 07:48 AM
:thumbs up

kathryn
October 16th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I have to fill out some government tax form thingy and I have no clue what it is :laughing: I asked my mom to do it but she was like "there's instructions on it" and went back to whatever she was doing.

I found this:
http://taxes.about.com/od/preparingyourtaxes/ht/W4.htm

Yeah, 'easy' my butt :yuck:

I'll use a pencil to fill this one out :rolleyes:
Darn government always wanting to steal mah moniesss

AmericanBullMom
October 16th, 2008, 10:14 AM
yay! I'm sure you'll get good discounts too! Congrats!

hazelrunpack
October 16th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Congrats on the job, Kathryn! :highfive: Sometimes things just fall into place, don't they? :D

kathryn
October 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I had been trying to get a job at the shelter. They had called me back about my application, but I wasn't home and the person who left the message was talking to fast. I didn't recognize the voice or what the name sounded like it could have been. I called back and spoke to the lady at the front desk who I know and who knows me and everyone knew I was trying to get this job, but I guess the lady who was actually "in charge" of the hiring part didn't want to deal with me? :shrug: It was really weird. She called at 3, I called back at 5 at the ext. she said to call back it. And the whole thing was just confusing. I asked around for help and no one knew what to do either.

Oh well. I'm still going to volunteer there but it was just weird. They probably were not able to hire me due to insurance reasons because I was under 18. That's what they kept telling me. If I had gotten bitten by a dog or something while actually being employed by them, I would have been their responsibility.

Oh well though.

Maybe I can get two jobs though if the shelter still wants to hire me :p

Jim Hall
October 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM
have to fill out some government tax form thingy and I have no clue what it is I asked my mom to do it but she was like "there's instructions on it" and went back to whatever she was doing.

o comn now that one is easy you do tougher than thaty in school i would hope

kathryn
October 16th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I walked into the shelter today and they asked me if I could come in for an interview tomorrow :rolleyes: So I told them what happened.

I'm going to ask tomorrow about it and see what the hours & days are and I'm going to probably do both jobs.

babymomma
October 17th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Congrats kathryn!

ancientgirl
October 17th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Congrats! I bet you'll put that employee discount to some good use huh?:D

kathryn
October 17th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I hope I get an employee discount! Probably will.

Oh and I am probably taking the shelter job.. Sunday Monday and Tuesday afternoons. It wouldn't be the desk job, it would be a general job to help keep things moving. So I'd just go where I'm needed.. clean this, walk that dog, fill this out... that kind of work. So I'm going to talk to Bill and make sure that schedule would not conflict with the one he wants to give me and then I'm just going to do both!

Dog Dancer
October 17th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Way to go Kathryn! Hope it all works out and you can swing both jobs if that's what you want. Don't take on more than you can comfortably handle though, you'd be better to do one job really really well than two jobs only half heartedly if you're too tired out. But it sounds like it should work though. Good luck to you! Keep us posted.

kathryn
October 21st, 2008, 05:49 PM
Well I really like my new job. My boss (Bill) was on vacation in Egypt though. The other girl I know helped me out and I did fine. The register stuff was a little confusing though. Lots of different numbers to remember. Ack! Apparently I've been the easier new person to train so far.

http://web.me.com/billswonderland/Bills_Wonderland_of_Pets/About_Bills_files/shapeimage_5.jpg

That's my boss... in Zimbabwe, Africa... he's really.. random....