Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

AMAZING ANIMAL FACTS (or not so amazing)

Soter
October 15th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I know lately I have been posting a lot of new threads. This is just another one. 2 Christmasís ago I got a book called 'Why pandas do handstands and other curious truths about animals' and now I have decided to share some occasionally funny and quite interesting facts with you. I hope you aren't bored!! :D:D:D

You are who you eat
ANIMALS really are what they eat... Flamingos are not naturally pink in colour, they are actually white. Their distinctive pigmentation comes from their food, tiny green algae, which turns pink during the digestion process. Shrimp too lend them their interesting colour.
YOU ARE also as deadly as what you eat. Poison frogs have glands in their skin that exude secretions so toxic that a tiny smear can kill a horse. The frogs brew their poison by eating a diet of toxic insects.

The joy of laughter
LAUGHTER is common to many species, not just humans. Rats play chirp with joy. Dogs laugh by panting. Man's best friends make a distinctive breathing noise that to the human ear sounds like the normal breathless panting a dog makes after exercise, but closer analysis of recordings revealed that when dogs make this sound they exhale in a wider range of frequencies than during normal panting. This is a dogís way of signalling to each other that they are happy and in a playful mood. (I always thought it was because they were thirsty/tired ect.:rolleyes:)
ICE-SKATING buffaloes emit excited noises. They have been observed sliding across frozen surfaces, letting out a joyous 'gwaaa!' as they go!!!!:laughing:

Eating habits
GEESE are partial to polystyrene. In 2005 a gaggle of geese ate their way through the polystyrene walls of and entire school in the Romanian village of Risesti.
CATS DON'T like sweets. They canít taste them. Researchers have discovered that all the members of the feline family, from the domestic cat to the lion, have a strong dislike for sugary foods. By analysing the cats genetic code they learned that part of the code that normally provides an animal with sweet taste receptors is missing. This has left cats simply unable to detect sweet tasting compounds like sugars and carbohydrates. This would explain why cats are keener on savoury tastes like meat. And it would also explain why they are, in the wild, among nature's most expert hunters.

Builders???
CHIMPANZEES use tool kits. Scientists have observed them use a range of different tools including 'chisels', a 'hole punch' and a dipping instrument to gain access to a supply of honey in a bee-hive.
AS THEY wade into lakes or pools, Gorillas test the depth with sticks. Photographs have been taken of apes guiding themselves through water using a metre long (3 foot) piece of wood.

The calmer animal
TELEVISION makes chickens calmer. Scientists discovered that battery hens became less anxious and aggressive when they watched random images on the box for ten minutes a day. The most relaxing images were fish and flying toasters. :laughing:
MOOSE surf. After heavy rains in Norway, a large moose was observed surfing down the raging waters of the Namsen River on a large chunk of ice.
YAWNING is contagious with Chimpanzees. When one starts, they all start, just like with humans (most of the time)

I hope they were interesting....:)

Shall I post more???

Love4himies
October 15th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I find those facts very interesting, Soter, post away!

babymomma
October 15th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I think you should post more ... that is, if you dont mind.. i find them pretty darn cool myself but ive heard a few of them before..

i didnt know cats cant taste sweets :confused::shrug:

Well, i do now!:p:thumbs up

ownedbycats
October 15th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I think the animal facts are cool, too, it would be neat to hear more of them. Just remember, they are from a book, so probably copyrighted. Maybe make sure you use citations.

Soter
October 20th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Dolphins bray like donkeys
Some caterpillars can actually roar
King Cobras' growl
The snapping shrimp can make a snap with its claw like a firecracker
Cuttlefish wink

What are citations????

Soter
October 21st, 2008, 11:02 AM
Flies sumo-wrestle
Bees' roast their victims alive
Bears, wombats, snakes and dogs snore
Birds like mates who keep their nest tidy and smell of tangerines
Male lizards do push ups to impress the girls

Cats can suffer from people smoking around them
Dalmatian dogs can get gout (something which affects the gut from eating too much rich food so basically dalmatians need loadza veggies!)
Ferrets are one of the few species that can actually catch a cold from us

WHAT ARE CITATIONS????

CatManDoo
October 21st, 2008, 11:49 AM
Along that same line. I belief that trout are pink due to fresh-water shrimp.

ownedbycats
October 21st, 2008, 11:49 AM
:offtopic: Citations (to cite) - giving credit to the original author/editor/compiler of any work. usually author's name, title of work, copyright date, publisher
Example:Lehmann, Ute Your Kitten:Expert advice on How to Choose A Kitten and How To Keep It In Good Health 1998 Barron's Educational Services, Inc.
I'm not trying to be a killjoy, I'm enjoying the neat facts, but passing on too much information from a single book varbatim without giving proper credit is considered plagiarism and comes with large fines attached.

Soter
October 21st, 2008, 11:54 AM
Uhoh!!! Thanks for the info then!!

Ownedbycats... you said 'without giving proper credit' does that mean i have to credit the author? How?

ancientgirl
October 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM
As long as Soter isn't taking personal credit for this information. I think a simple "I found this on the net," should suffice.

That's interesting about the cats and sweets. Vlad is particularly fond of ice-cream.:D

Soter
October 22nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
Well, I definatly didn't write it!!!!
No credit taken:cool:

Want more facts, now you all know I'm not taking credit????:D:D

I didn't find it on the net, but it was in a book I have

I credit the author completley

Should this suffice?

Soter
October 22nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
That's interesting about the cats and sweets. Vlad is particularly fond of ice-cream.:D

Vlad sounds very special. Could we have a picture of him and ice-cream maybe?? :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
October 22nd, 2008, 11:24 AM
I'll try to get a picture of him next time he attacks my spoon.:laughing:

Soter
October 22nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Good one!!:laughing::laughing::laughing: