Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Input needed - MAJOR Pets.ca redesign

marko
October 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Dear members,

Over the next month or so the main site of Pets.ca will undergo a MAJOR redesign. Before we start the redesign we'd LOVE to get some input from our amazing community of BB members. (Please note the redesign will not really affect this forum all that much but it will affect almost every other section/page on the site)

So....if members would provide input and/or suggestions, we'd love to hear them. Here's the type of input we are interested in.

- What colours would you like to see the new site be based on?
- What features are missing from the main site that you feel would be good additions.
- Are there other websites (pet related or not) whose navigation colours and features you just love and WHY?
- anything else you want to add?

Many thanks everyone - we really value our members' input so please don't be shy about posting!!!

Best!
Marko

Soter
October 15th, 2008, 09:38 AM
New colours....

Green
Light yellow
All mulitcoloured (:crazy:)
Or my personal favourite colour, any shade of orange

And instead of having to click on one of the sub-forums to view who else is logged on, can we just see it on the main page??:pray:

Also on the main page instead of having a couple of access ways to the sub-forums (eg. general forum for cats and dogs, cat health forum, pet photography, off-topic forum ect.) then we could have one access point to it, so we don't have to go to next page to get different sub-foum titles (eg. dog behaviour, books, jokes and anecdotes, movies and t.v, opinions rants pet chat ect.) That way there is more room for more sub-forum titles, so we don't have to go from page to page.
That sounds complicated, but I don't know how else to put it

Pretty pretty please???:D

Soter (I love pets.ca!)

marko
October 15th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks soter :grouphug::goodvibes:

But for now, we are only after suggestions that affect the OTHER parts of the site NOT this forum. Forum improvements will follow the main site's redesign, but this thread is to suggest stuff for the OTHER parts of Pets.ca

many thx!
Marko

LavenderRott
October 15th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Can the site be purple from now on? I just love purple. ;)

aslan
October 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM
ohoh purple and silver.

krdahmer
October 15th, 2008, 11:29 AM
That jarring yellow banner at the top of the main page would be nice in a blue, and still match the logo at the top left.

Generally when I am on web pages, I prefer the colours like what are in the forum, muted blues, it is much easier on the eyes when you are on for a long period of time, anything brightly coloured can cause headaches and eye strain. IMO. Oh and if we could get rid of the bright white too, like in where the cat pages and dog pages are.... too much white can also be hard on the eyes.... for backgrounds maybe go to the soft light blueish gray that is around this box I'm typing in now. :cool:

I'm sure you guys'll do a great job... and can't wait for the video stuff too! :thumbs up

clm
October 15th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I'm not a big yellow fan either. I prefer blues or mauves or purples, with the odd jarring jolt of tangerine orange in there. :laughing:
As long as you have the same great group of folks here, I'll be happy no matter what you do.

Cindy

Bina
October 15th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I find that the soft blue, soft green, soft yellow and grey are easiest on the eyes.
Red, orange, white and bright yellow in big banners and such, seem to make my eyes hurt more.

LavenderRott
October 15th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Light purple is good. (Like a lavender or Lilac!) :lovestruck:

In KirklandLake
October 15th, 2008, 06:12 PM
How about a live chat?

It could be at specific times and feature guest hosts to share their expertise.
If it were posted days in advance, one seeking advice on a particular topic would have enough notice to join the chat.

It would be beneficial to all in this generous community.

Just my thoughts on how to improve an already pretty great board.

Newbie, Shelly

meg4050
October 15th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Barkley just doesn't want his mohawk logo taken away :D

Stacer
October 15th, 2008, 07:37 PM
How about a live chat?

I was going to say the same thing. I realize it's forum related, but maybe it would be fun for members to have live chat in addition to TJT of course (would never think of replacing the TJT:o)

I agree about the softer colours, much easier on the eyes. I'll try to think of other things.

marko
October 16th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Dear members,

Thanks so much for the input thus far. Please feel free to post more. We REALLY want many people to post if they have a few minutes. To those members that read it right thanks so much!

To those that read it wrong
LOL :D :) :) :D - You crack me up.

On my honour, within a six weeks or so there will be a new thread just like this one for improvements to the forum. I promise.

But THIS thread is for EVERYWHERE else on the site, NOT the forum.... it is for these sections below

http://www.pets.ca/
http://www.pets.ca/index-articles.htm
http://www.pets.ca/index-tips.htm
http://www.pets.ca/breedprofiles/index-dogbreeds.html
http://www.pets.ca/index-dogparks.htm
http://www.pets.ca/index_pet_encylopedia.htm
http://www.pets.ca/index-newsletter.htm
http://www.pets.ca/index-cats.html
http://www.pets.ca/index-dogs.html
http://www.pets.ca/petsites/index_cemetery.php
http://www.pets.ca/index-humour.htm
http://www.pets.ca/pets411n/index-411.php
http://www.pets.ca/index-nutrition.htm

Many thanks again everyone! I realize that many BB members never go to the other sections...but those are the sections that we really want feedback on for now, and if you took a few minutes to check them out and add suggestions it would be most appreciated.

Thanks again,
Marko:):goodvibes:

Winston
October 16th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Hi Marko

A couple of things with regards to the other locations I think the colors are in need of a change...

Also when I view the pages they appear more like a book format? or should I say the page doesnt fill all across the page? it looks like your looking at a sheet of paper on the screen that would lets say be left aligned? hopefully this makes sense.

Another change would be to use some different fonts....something that is kind of catchy?

Just my couple of cents...

Cindy

14+kitties
October 16th, 2008, 08:10 AM
The only thing I can think of is to make the home page a little less "busy". It just seems to me that there are too many things going on. I know the information is needed. Is the article needed or can it be placed elsewhere with a shortcut to it shown on the main page? Or, alternately, can the article be placed in a "box". Most everything else on the page is boxed. This one thing not makes it seem a little off.
Going through the other pages I don't see much wrong with what is there. :shrug:
I have to go with the others on the bright yellow banner. I would prefer a softer colour. Even a softer yellow. I realize that demographics have shown that yellow is the most noticable but could it be toned down a little?

Joeyjoejoe
October 16th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I say modernize it!

-simplify/reorganize the front page
-I'm not going to suggest any colours... but make sure they work well together.
-add some style/flare (new logo possibly) - that separates this website from others.
-add some "Web 2.0" functionality like adding RRS feeds to the articles/newsletters

Here's some examples of I mean. They are collections of well designed websites that you can steal... I mean borrow a few ideas from:

http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/design/minimalistic-web-design/
http://tutorialblog.org/one-page-websites/

rainbow
October 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I find that the soft blue, soft green, soft yellow and grey are easiest on the eyes.
Red, orange, white and bright yellow in big banners and such, seem to make my eyes hurt more.

I agree......soft blues and greens together are very relaxing and the background should be light grey imo.

The only thing I can think of is to make the home page a little less "busy".

I agree with that too.....the main page should be less cluttered imo.

Stacer
October 16th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I was just looking at the main page and I'm not really a fan of how everything is in boxes. Maybe the menus on the left side could be more slick, don't ask me how :), but they just look a little blah. Definitely get rid of the white background.

marko
October 16th, 2008, 03:46 PM
There we go everyone! Nice!
That's what we're after...PLEASE continue. Don't be shy....we can take it and we want it! :D
The redesign will officially start on Monday and we expect it will take a full month...so NOW is absolutely the best time to give input.

Continued thanks!

pbpatti
October 16th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I say modernize it!

-simplify/reorganize the front page
-I'm not going to suggest any colours... but make sure they work well together.
-add some style/flare (new logo possibly) - that separates this website from others.
-add some "Web 2.0" functionality like adding RRS feeds to the articles/newsletters

Here's some examples of I mean. They are collections of well designed websites that you can steal... I mean borrow a few ideas from:

http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/design/minimalistic-web-design/
http://tutorialblog.org/one-page-websites/

Marko, I really like the website that Joeyjoejoe notes: vandealydesign, the colors are easy on the eyes and the way it is set up seems to be easy to move about.

Schwinn
October 18th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I do like the look of the sites without everything being it boxes...it looks a little more "cleaner" and less dated. Same with the font, it seems...a little "form letter-ish"? Not sure how to explain it. Almost like the site was created from one of those "easy site creator" things. I also agree about having it fill the screen. The forum fills my screen, even though it is wide-screen, but the rest of the site only fills half the screen.

As for colour...I've always been partial to clear...

Chaser
October 18th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I would really like to see the primary colour scheme removed - not so easy on the eyes!!!

This is a site I enjoy a lot: http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/

I find it's well-organized and visually appealing.

I also think it would be nice to have more photographs of dogs floating around on the site. Not just for the breed profiles, but with the articles as well (i.e. "Grooming" - have pics of grooming available). Maybe we could do some photo challenges on the bulletin board based on the types of pictures needed for around the site....:rolleyes: :D

marko
October 19th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks again for this input! :highfive:Please continue giving input - the redesign starts this coming week.

hazelrunpack
October 19th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I just went out to the Cemetery for the first time. :sad: (I never realized how many people just come in to post memorials and then don't come to the BB.)

A more colorful but dignified background for the cemetery entries would be nice. And if the some of the side boxes could be consolidated or removed--I know ads keep the site solvent, but are they absolutely necessary on this page? Most people who are grieving aren't going to shop anyway. :shrug:

Maybe just informational links and links to the BB in case they decide to come back and check out the site again at a later time?

rainbow
October 19th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Good suggestion, Hazel. :thumbs up

tommyvallier
October 20th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Well - Marko mentioned that the redesign was starting this week... And it's Monday... Him and I have been talking for a while about the pets.ca site and he's asked me to help out with the design and creation of it's new look. So I thought now would be the best time to come out and introduce myself!

So - hi! Call me Tommy. :)

I've been following the conversation in here since it got started and will have more to ask (and show) you soon!

breeze
October 20th, 2008, 10:37 AM
hi Tommy and welcome to the site, can't wait to see what you have instore..:thumbs up

breeze
October 20th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I for one would love to see a color change, my eyes are very sensitive to light and colors so a softer color would go a long way for me..

hazelrunpack
October 20th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Hi, Tommy. Welcome!

tommyvallier
October 20th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I for one would love to see a color change

That seemed to be a common thought... So I came up with this: http://www.colorschemer.com/schemes/index.php?id=27878

marko
October 20th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Tommy is a super-friendly fun guy so please don't hesitate to offer suggestions to him. :highfive::goodvibes:

Thanks for posting Tommy! :highfive:

LavenderRott
October 20th, 2008, 11:14 AM
That seemed to be a common thought... So I came up with this: http://www.colorschemer.com/schemes/index.php?id=27878

but it doesn't have any purple.....

:cry2:

Stacer
October 20th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Nice soft colours, tommy. I like it.

breeze
October 20th, 2008, 11:34 AM
love the background color.. I was able to look at it without turning down the brightness :thumbs up:thumbs up

do you have to stick with blue?? can you try another color??

tommyvallier
October 20th, 2008, 12:16 PM

OK... so you like the orange... not the blue. Check.

One thing to remember: The layout of that site (and the colours of it) aren't what I came up with... The three little boxes under "idea" are - the blue and orange.

I'm going to play with some more combinations - let me know if you've got any other ideas.

Soter
October 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks soter :grouphug::goodvibes:

But for now, we are only after suggestions that affect the OTHER parts of the site NOT this forum. Forum improvements will follow the main site's redesign, but this thread is to suggest stuff for the OTHER parts of Pets.ca

many thx!
Marko

Sorry for the late post, I haven't been on the forum in a few days.

Well, all I do on here is post and read, so I don't explore much:o
What OTHER parts of the site?? Like, the arcade, blogs..... ect? I haven't really got a clue!:D

rainbow
October 20th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Welcome to pets.ca Tommy. :highfive: I hope you won't be pulling your hair out by the end of the week. :D

I like the blue. :thumbs up

OK... so you like the orange... not the blue. Check.

One thing to remember: The layout of that site (and the colours of it) aren't what I came up with... The three little boxes under "idea" are - the blue and orange.

I'm going to play with some more combinations - let me know if you've got any other ideas.

I would like to see soft blues and soft greens with a neutral background....perhaps soft grey or soft taupe. :goodvibes:

breeze
October 20th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Welcome to pets.ca Tommy. :highfive: I hope you won't be pulling your hair out by the end of the week. :D

I like the blue. :thumbs up

I would like to see soft blues and soft greens with a neutral background....perhaps soft grey or soft taupe. :goodvibes:

but don't you find that everything you look at these days are blue??

hazelrunpack
October 20th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I like that color scheme a lot, Tommy. I never get tired of soft blues...very easy on the eyes...and the soft orange just punches it up nicely! :thumbs up

tommyvallier
October 20th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I hope you won't be pulling your hair out by the end of the week. :D

Marko's given me some pretty high compliments about the gang here... And I've dealt with some pretty rowdy groups before - so I should be alright.

I really like the taupe/blue/green idea. I'll play with that one later... I'll try for one without blue, too.... What are we thinking? Red? Purple? Bright yellow?

breeze
October 20th, 2008, 02:28 PM
fall colors.. strong but yet subude sp?......

can you try the colors out first then if you don't like them change it?? like sampling??

cause some people are visual and trying to explain could get agravating lol lol

breeze
October 20th, 2008, 02:37 PM
o wait I know what we need PICTURES of the colors and what the site will look like... cause Marko and the rest are all picture crazy here (yes including myself, I'll admit it :sad:)..:D

rainbow
October 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM
What are we thinking? Red? Purple? Bright yellow?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

rainbow
October 20th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I could live with purple but prefer lavender.

breeze
October 20th, 2008, 02:42 PM

:yuck::yuck:

tommyvallier
October 20th, 2008, 02:45 PM
o wait I know what we need PICTURES of the colors and what the site will look like... cause Marko and the rest are all picture crazy here (yes including myself, I'll admit it :sad:)..:D

He warned me about the picture-focused (see how I avoid the word "crazy") group here.

We're going to let you all see an idea of what the site will look like when we're that far... Remember, today is day 1 for me - still figuring out what's what. :)

breeze
October 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM
He warned me about the picture-focused (see how I avoid the word "crazy") group here.

We're going to let you all see an idea of what the site will look like when we're that far... Remember, today is day 1 for me - still figuring out what's what. :)

did he also warn you that we can get impatient too??:laughing::laughing: J/K

I guess I shouldn't have had that chocolate croissant :laughing::D

rainbow
October 20th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I for one would love to see a color change, my eyes are very sensitive to light and colors so a softer color would go a long way for me..

Originally Posted by rainbow

But you're the one with the sensitive eyes that likes softer colours. :p

rainbow
October 20th, 2008, 02:52 PM

You can call me and Hazelrunpack crazy. :crazy: We can take it....she's even worse than I am. :laughing:

breeze
October 20th, 2008, 02:55 PM
But you're the one with the sensitive eyes that likes softer colours. :p

I am and do but just not a fan of lavender..

:offtopic: i painted my room one year in lavander thinking it would calm me down, I was so angry looking at the color that I went out a week later and repainted it, marroon.. now that is a very calming color for me..:lovestruck:

LavenderRott
October 20th, 2008, 04:56 PM

:cry::cry::cry:

breeze
October 20th, 2008, 05:06 PM
:cry::cry::cry:

sorry LavenderRott..:grouphug::grouphug:

really what ever they diside on for the color will be fine., as long as it is easy on the eyes....

rainbow
October 20th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I'm sure Tommy will show us some purple/lavender choices too. :D

breeze
October 20th, 2008, 05:13 PM
the big question is how do you please everyone with color choises..

I know psychedelic colors all over the board :thumbs up in soft colors of course :D

tommyvallier
October 20th, 2008, 05:50 PM
the big question is how do you please everyone with color choises..

Easy! All I have to do is find a way to incorporate... green, light yellow, multicolours (!!), orange, purple, light purple, lavender, lilac, silver, muted blue, blueish gray, blue, mauve, tangerine, soft blue, soft yellow, grey, soft green, soft grey, soft taupe and maroon.

... Seems like I've got my work cut out for me.

I'll posts some new colour combo ideas tomorrow!

aslan
October 20th, 2008, 05:52 PM
lol, am i the only one getting a visual of the partridge family bus at this point.

breeze
October 20th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Easy! All I have to do is find a way to incorporate... green, light yellow, multicolours (!!), orange, purple, light purple, lavender, lilac, silver, muted blue, blueish gray, blue, mauve, tangerine, soft blue, soft yellow, grey, soft green, soft grey, soft taupe and maroon.

... Seems like I've got my work cut out for me.

I'll posts some new colour combo ideas tomorrow!

tommy do you dream in color?????:D

breeze
October 20th, 2008, 05:55 PM
lol, am i the only one getting a visual of the partridge family bus at this point.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

want4rain
October 20th, 2008, 06:55 PM
no new logo!! i love the current logo!! i didnt read all the way through the thread... but no new logo!! maybe... loose the dog crown. cats are way cooler anyway. :laughing:

maybe you guys can have 3 logos?? switching the crown around?? :D can you add a fish to the logo??

other wise the logo is great. :crazy:

-ashley

want4rain
October 20th, 2008, 06:58 PM
a solution for the colors.... im sure you could come up with some customizable skins??? maybe some users/members who have some experience with BB's can submit their own??

-ash

rainbow
October 20th, 2008, 11:53 PM
no new logo!! i love the current logo!! i didnt read all the way through the thread... but no new logo!! maybe... loose the dog crown. cats are way cooler anyway. :laughing:

maybe you guys can have 3 logos?? switching the crown around?? :D can you add a fish to the logo??

other wise the logo is great. :crazy:

-ashley

NOOOoooooo ....that logo is too DORKY !!! :eek: .....not to mention the ugly colours. :rolleyes:

Joeyjoejoe
October 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM
NOOOoooooo ....that logo is too DORKY !!! :eek: .....not to mention the ugly colours. :rolleyes:

+1

A logo has a lot to do with the design of the website. You can't have a soft coloured theme website (seems to be the general consensus) with a primary coloured logo... or a well designed website with a logo that looks like it was made using MS Paint.

Soter
October 21st, 2008, 11:15 AM

nooooo! dogs ROCK! Unless you're a cat lover or course.

dogs:dog: are :thumbs up

I like the colours

green
light purple
not pink (for the guys sake:D:D)
and my all time favourite colour... orange!!!:rolleyes:

Yeah..i'm still stumped as to what other parts of this site there are. I didn't know there were any other parts!

About the logo... Love it, it is recognisable, but just maybe loose the crown and add a fish in there somewhere. My two goldies (plain and fancy) are swimming in their tank wondering will the world ever know them?? ><>

Soter

tommyvallier
October 21st, 2008, 11:30 AM
Yeah..i'm still stumped as to what other parts of this site there are. I didn't know there were any other parts!

I'm gonna steal Marko's list to answer that... His is a lot easier to make out than my over-technical one.

As for a new logo - no comment. Only because a complete website overhaul takes several weeks... and we're on day 2.

Soter
October 21st, 2008, 11:34 AM
aha

well thanks tommy, i am now well informed!

thankyou

marko
October 21st, 2008, 11:57 AM
Just as a warning - the logo may have to go or be changed/updated.

It's cute and all but it may end up crossing over to Rainbow Bridge.

I've also heard it suggested that the dog looks like it's doing something evil to the cat :eek:

Just preparing the few that love the logo (and hey I like it too) that its time may have come... It may need to crossover.

Thanks for all the input everyone and thanks for the interaction in this thread Tommy. We're still in planning phase for a short while so feel free to continue to post opinions/suggestions.

many thx! - Marko

aslan
October 21st, 2008, 12:06 PM
scurries off to see what the dogs doing to the cat.:D

Chris21711
October 21st, 2008, 12:18 PM
More smileys :D

rainbow
October 21st, 2008, 12:40 PM
Just as a warning - the logo may have to go or be changed/updated.

It's cute and all but it may end up crossing over to Rainbow Bridge.

WOOO HOOO !!! :highfive:

Don't worry Marko.......we WILL give it a proper burial. :D

I've also heard it suggested that the dog looks like it's doing something evil to the cat :eek:

Serious??? :confused: Someone has a really weird imagination. :eek:

JennieV
October 21st, 2008, 02:15 PM
Umm..Just a couple of suggestions:

What about allowing the user to choose their preferred color-scheme? I have been to a couple of websites (can't think of one right this second) where when you sign up, you have your user preference and can select which color scheme you prefer. Give a couple of choices, and everyone will be happy! LOL also, that will allow for a change if a user is fed up with the colors and wants a fresh look.

Another suggestion, the advertising on the main page should not be THE FIRST thing we see when we log in, after a while I don't even notice if it is even there. Maybe move it down, along with the "sign up for the newsletter" part. You could put the ad space more in the body of the main page. The header should be dedicated to the logo and the name of the website, as well as sign-in boxes.

Which brings me to my next idea, to put the different related links directly under the logo/header, in form of tabs or buttons, so it looks more organized.

Just my :2cents:!

14+kitties
October 21st, 2008, 05:32 PM
One thing I would personally LOVE to see on the home page is the Forum Rules. Maybe if the rules are posted there we wouldn't get quite as many people coming on asking about breeding, pregnant pets, and so on. Even if you just have "This is for the most part a very Pro Spay/Neuter forum." :shrug: It may be helpful.

JennieV
October 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM
One thing I would personally LOVE to see on the home page is the Forum Rules. Maybe if the rules are posted there we wouldn't get quite as many people coming on asking about breeding, pregnant pets, and so on. Even if you just have "This is for the most part a very Pro Spay/Neuter forum." :shrug: It may be helpful.

I agree!! there should be a descriptive intro about the Forum...Too many :wall::wall: people come in and stir up trouble.

marko
October 22nd, 2008, 08:28 AM
One thing I would personally LOVE to see on the home page is the Forum Rules. Maybe if the rules are posted there we wouldn't get quite as many people coming on asking about breeding, pregnant pets, and so on. Even if you just have "This is for the most part a very Pro Spay/Neuter forum." It may be helpful.

Again - this thread has NOTHING to do with this forum it's for the rest of the site. A similar thread for the forum will appear in about 4-5 weeks but for now, this thread is about THE OTHER PETS.CA SECTIONS.

many thanks and great input thus far everyone - please keep it coming.
Marko

Love4himies
October 22nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
Is there any way to link the dog parks to "google maps" or another map link that will show exactly where in the city the parks are located?

Soter
October 22nd, 2008, 11:29 AM
About the new logo...

Some people on this forum also have horses, goats, rabbits, retiles ect. we should try and think of one which includes all, but isn't too colmplicated (not a whole farm scene I mean:D)

I tried finding ideas on the net, but i suck at being computer savy:rolleyes:

By the way, I adore the idea of being able to choose your own colour background for the site, instead of one main one. Good thinking JennieV!:thumbs up

JennieV
October 22nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
Thank you Soter! :o I think it would be cool to be able to choose your own and we could have the choices of purple theme, blue theme, green theme, orange theme or whatever works...

I would change the exsisting search option for advanced search that would allow you to narrow down your results to specific items, like I would be keying in a keyword, like "dog treats" and be able to narrow it down to specific sections (food, training, health...) I want to search, thus allowing me to see less results but more "to the point" so to speak.
A very good example of that is Ebay search, where I can specify a lot of details. While I understand that we don't need the price, shipping etc categories, but it would be neat to be able to specify some kind of criterias, to narrow searches down.
There is a generic "search" box that is active right now, but I personally was not able to successfully and quickly narrow the search down. I still had to read through the links that popped up, and sometimes you don't have the time or the patience to do that. Just trying to help! :cool:

Joeyjoejoe
October 22nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
About the new logo...

Some people on this forum also have horses, goats, rabbits, retiles ect. we should try and think of one which includes all, but isn't too colmplicated (not a whole farm scene I mean:D)

I tried finding ideas on the net, but i suck at being computer savy:rolleyes:

By the way, I adore the idea of being able to choose your own colour background for the site, instead of one main one. Good thinking JennieV!:thumbs up

The Toronto Humane Society is a good example of what you mean:
http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/

Their logo has an assortment of animals and beside their logo is a random photo of an animal (refresh the page or click on any of the links and the animal photo will change). That would be pretty cool if the random photo was of pets people put on this board. The only draw back is that since photo images vary greatly (in size, quality, and colour), most would not be consistent with the website design.

rainbow
October 22nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
I like the THS website....it is very well laid out. :thumbs up

breeze
October 22nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
this is day 3?? any new designs yet???:D

o tommy where are you????:D

rainbow
October 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
this is day 3?? any new designs yet???:D

o tommy where are you????:D

Marko is keeping Tommy very busy ..... http://bestsmileys.com/office1/19.gif

breeze
October 22nd, 2008, 02:26 PM

AWWWWWWW so tommy can't come out and play????:cry:

rainbow
October 22nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
AWWWWWWW so tommy can't come out and play????:cry:

Nope ...... http://bestsmileys.com/office1/22.gif

tommyvallier
October 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
Hey gang - I'm still around... Been doing more research than coding/colouring the last day or two... I'll come back later tonight and comment more with thoughts and ideas.

:sorry:

JennieV
October 22nd, 2008, 05:49 PM

LOL!!! cracked me right up!

marko
November 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
I like that graphic from the last post :)

Tommy and I are already looking at design mockups and incorporating ideas from this thread. There's still time to add input.

any new suggestions?

thx
Marko

CClover
November 3rd, 2008, 11:26 PM
Did someone suggested a video section,somewhere we can put our videos of our pets?

rainbow
November 3rd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Did someone suggested a video section,somewhere we can put our videos of our pets?

You can post videos of your pets in the Photo Forum.....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Chris21711
November 5th, 2008, 10:51 AM
More smilies allowed when replying to a thread :D

marko
November 5th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Again - this thread has NOTHING to do with this forum it's for the rest of the site. A similar thread for the forum will appear in about 4-5 weeks but for now, this thread is about THE OTHER PETS.CA SECTIONS.

pitgrrl
November 6th, 2008, 07:02 PM
My very honest opinion (please don't hate me) is that Pets.ca (no, not the forum) looks like the website equivalent of a set of lego from the 80s.

The primary colours, the boxiness of everything, the overly cluttered-tiny-text-everywhere-you-look madness makes me just not read any of it.

Please, I beg you, no more boxes or primary colours.

Please make navigation of the site less overwhelming. Though I don't love the aesthetic, the Urban Carnivore (http://www.urbancarnivore.com/) site makes good use of tabs to organize information.

Also, just a random suggestion, everything looks nicer with good photography. If articles could be illustrated (with a photo) and the front page had a big, beautiful photograph(s) I think it would really go a long way to make the site stand out and be nicer to look at.

Oh, and also (I promise to stop after this :laughing:) the font! Something a bit more, um, round, would be good and using fonts to differentiate between titles, area headings, etc. would rock.

Hope that wasn't obnoxious.:D

rainbow
November 6th, 2008, 07:10 PM
LOL....lego set describes it well. :D

I also have a hard time reading all the clutter on the home page. And, I've already mentioned my dislike of the colours and the dorky logo. :yuck:

Marko, has Tommy come up with any ideas for us to look at yet? :goodvibes:

marko
November 6th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the honest feedback everyone, the honester the better, that's how we improve and that's why we asked :D Were still workin' on preliminary design stuff so please keep sending ideas (including stuff you like or dislike) forward if they come to you.

Thx! - Marko

rainbow
November 7th, 2008, 01:38 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/bumping/3.gif

Tundra_Queen
November 8th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Joeyjoejoe around post #16 mentioned a couple of websites. But with my bad vision I need to have my fonts very large,,around 24; and the columns on the right hand side of those websites overlap onto the lower sentences making it impossible to read. :wall::wall:

That is one trouble I have with lots of websites, is that some of them; the top sentences overlaps onto the bottom sentences and I can't read them. :wall::wall:

I love this website and I would love to be able to keep coming here and reading it.:pray:
Thanks
Debbie

rainbow
November 9th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Bumping up :D

Any more suggestions? :goodvibes:

JennieV
November 10th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Marko,
Maybe the font size could also be chosen at the individual user panel?
:2cents:

Purpledomino
November 10th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I'm all for PURPLE of course.....oh, and yes...more smilies!:D

rainbow
November 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Smilies are only used in the forum and the forum is not being re-designed at this time. That's coming later and then we can bug marko for that. :D

marko
November 10th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Yup there will be ANOTHER thread for the forum in several weeks - and we'll try to add new stuff based on your suggestions - then. Not now.

This thread is still for the rest of the site.

As an update - Tommy and I are still working on the redesign but are doing more work in the background. Tommy will likely post in this thread in the near future when we are actually working on the 'look' of the new design.

So until then if you want to add comments and/or suggestions, please do and no need to hold back....honesty is best.

Continued thanks,
Marko

rainbow
November 11th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Another bump .....

rainbow
January 8th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Marko, is Tommy still working on the re-design? :D

marko
January 8th, 2009, 01:32 PM
It sux - but it's on hold for now. (ONLY temporarily though)
Thx
marko

rainbow
January 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the update, Marko :thumbs up but you're right.....it sux. :D

breeze
January 8th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Glad it's only temperorarily....

:thumbs up