Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

3rd eyelids up

diana.upson
October 15th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Hi,
My 8 year old cat has had his third eyelids up for a week now. He is otherwise acting normal. Eating, drinking, going to the bathroom, activity level normal. He does go outside and gets alot of ticks (frontline only slows them down - he goes in the woods alot!). I am not sure what to do about him. I saw a couple things on the web about cats getting lyme disease in rare cases, so I am wondering about that. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

14+kitties
October 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Only one suggestion - V E T !
Third eyelid up is serious in most cases. Please get him to the vet asap!

BenMax
October 15th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Only one suggestion - V E T !
Third eyelid up is serious in most cases. Please get him to the vet asap!

I agree 100% - something is not right here. This is a HUGE sign that something is wrong.

Love4himies
October 15th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I agree with BenMax and 14+ the third eyelid up means the kitty is sick.

Tundra_Queen
October 18th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Hi

Could someone tell me what the 3rd eye lid is? I have bad vision so I probably just can't see it?

Debbie

14+kitties
October 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Tundra - you would notice it. It is the white membrane around the eye. Very noticable. In most cases, unless there has been previous injury to the eye, it means the kitty needs to get to a vet asap!!

Tundra_Queen
October 19th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Tundra - you would notice it. It is the white membrane around the eye. Very noticable. In most cases, unless there has been previous injury to the eye, it means the kitty needs to get to a vet asap!!

Oh poor kitty,,thanks for showing me the pic. I've never seen that before.

Debbie

catlover2
October 21st, 2008, 12:26 PM
If third eyelid up on one eye only, probably an injury to that eye, scratch from another cat or something like that, but in both eyes, indication of something amiss internally in the cat. As others, have said get cat to vet ASAP.

BenMax
October 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM
If third eyelid up on one eye only, probably an injury to that eye, scratch from another cat or something like that, but in both eyes, indication of something amiss internally in the cat. As others, have said get cat to vet ASAP.

Totally agree - if it is not looked into quickly and the eye is scratched - can turn into an ulcer and to have this fixed it costs exactly $450.00! Trust me - I should know....luckily the cat's eye was saved!

Soter
October 21st, 2008, 12:57 PM
I didn't know there was anything like 3rd eyelids up anyway! Well, you learn something new every day!:D

CaptainOlimar
November 3rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Hi,
My 8 year old cat has had his third eyelids up for a week now. He is otherwise acting normal. Eating, drinking, going to the bathroom, activity level normal. He does go outside and gets alot of ticks (frontline only slows them down - he goes in the woods alot!). I am not sure what to do about him. I saw a couple things on the web about cats getting lyme disease in rare cases, so I am wondering about that. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Can you update on your kitty? I hope he's ok.