Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bordertown vet care question.

dogcatharmony
October 14th, 2008, 07:17 PM
It comes up so often in my city, someone with a animal in need of emergency treatment, so they call the emergency vet in our city on the Canadian side. Just to be told that there is nothing they can do because the animal in question sees a vet on the American side. It 's a 15 minute drive to cross the bridge on a good day with no traffic. Then you have to deal with Customs, and possibley a good line up at Customs. Then depending on which one of the vets is on call in the city on the States side, you could be looking at another 25-30 mins to get to the clinic.

Sad to say many people have lost their loved pets because our cities vet's will refuse care.

Many people in our city choose to go across for regular vet care for many reasons. Some say they get more quality check-ups and the vet's have a more compassionite way with the animals. The price difference is much much lower, which IMO helps many families that could not afford regular vet checkups and shots. At least these people are getting their animals spayed/neutered and vaccinated and taken care of by a vet......why should they be punished by being denied care when say for example their dog was hit by a car.

Does anyone here live in a bordertown? Does your cities vets go by the same practice?? I am just curious to see is my city is really that backwards when it comes to animal welfare.

growler~GateKeeper
October 15th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Not in a border town but I think the animal should be seen by whoever is closer :shrug: why turn away an animal in need :frustrated:

Melinda
October 15th, 2008, 04:44 AM
I'm in a border town, the vets charge the same both sides, it takes 3.50 to cross one way at the border, so add that to the fee, add the gas to cross and its best to just stay in our town, our vets like the ones stateside will see any animals anytime....makes no difference who their vet is

Love4himies
October 15th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I am not in a border town, but all the vet offices within an hour's drive radius have stopped giving 24 hour emergency service and people have to go to the Emergency Animal Clinic in Kingston Ontario. Very angry and have spoken to my vet about it. For some it is an hour by 401 in good weather, in poor weather, well it could be a couple of hours :sad:. Not good for emergencies if you ask me. :evil: :frustrated: :mad:

Melinda
October 15th, 2008, 07:16 AM
oh thats not good at all, thankfully our animal hospital has 24 hour emergency calls, within 5 minutes of phoning at any time through the night a vet calls you back or if its a real emergency it takes up to 10 minutes to meet a vet at the hospital (two of them live right here in town)