Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need help with a stray.

megan_in_pink
October 14th, 2008, 12:55 PM
We found a stray over the weekend and took him into the vet this am. So far he is unclaimed, no mirochip no tags and very hungery. he has to spend 3-5 days at vet befour we can do anyhting. I want to tak him in badly. do i already have a cat. I do not want the frist cat to become jelouse. This stray already has my heart and I already want hang the owners (I have feeling I know how theyare)

So any help you can give me be great and hofully by thursday we are playing help name the kitten!

Love4himies
October 14th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks for taking this little critter in. Why is he at the vet for 4 days?

megan_in_pink
October 14th, 2008, 05:24 PM
to see if anyone will call the city and claim this little guy. Now I jsut have to work on my family about bringing him in.

14+kitties
October 14th, 2008, 06:22 PM
If I am understanding correctly you want to adopt this kitty if he is not claimed in four days. Thank you for that! :angel:
You also want to make sure your resident cat isn't jealous. For that you need to do a slow introduction. Put the new cat in a room of it's own for a few days. Only allow them to smell each other under the door. This way the resident cat knows there is another cat in the house. Then over the next little while switch sleeping blankets. Put the new cat's with the resident cat, the resident cat's with the new cats. This way they recognize the smell and get used to having it around. After about a week you can open the door to the room the new cat is in but keep them separated by a screen or baby gates. Now they are seeing each other but can't hurt each other. There will be hissing but don't worry, it's normal. After a few days of this you could try putting them in the same room. Not for the whole day. Maybe for a few hours. Keep a close eye on them. Watch for signs of fighting. Not hissing, running away or hissing, swatting but all out fighting. There is a huge difference. You can extend the length of time the new cat is out by an hour or so a day until they are together all the time. This whole process is not done within a few days. It can take weeks, it may take months. The whole idea is to make it as stress free as possible for your cat and the newbie.

This is a terrific site to read.........

http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management