Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Someone trying to rehome Maincoon

kanis
October 14th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Sorry guys, I wasn't sure where to post this. So mods, please feel free to post this in the correct area if necessary.

I'm on an educators' pet talk board and this lady has posted for the second time trying to rehome her 5 year old Maincoon. Apparently it's a new marriage and the new family (hubby and two kids) are allergic to the kitty. :( Here's a pic of the beauty plus some information. Can anyone help? Can you steer me in the right direction so I can help her? She's in a BC location I believe - Lower Mainland somewhere.

she is a female, fixed and all shots done, she is indoor only due to the fact that she is deaf. She has wonderful personality and goes well with small dogs. I don`t know about other cats. She is used to being with children (6 and up).

If you or someone that you know can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

badger
October 14th, 2008, 02:52 AM
She should get in touch with some rescue groups in her area, particularly since the cat has special needs. Some of these groups are listed on petfinder.com. She just has to enter the name of the nearest community/city in BC (or wherever) and a list will come up. She should be aware that even if a rescue group agrees to help her, it is doubtful that they would be able to take the cat right away; few groups have enough foster homes to go around. So she would have to hang onto the cat until a placement is found. But it would increase her chances of finding a decent home.

http://www.petfinder.com/awo/index.cgi?action=state&state=BC&city=&keyword=

If she truly cares about her cat, she should stay off kijiji and craig's list and similar boards which are full of free-to-good-home ads and often attract people who are not serious, particularly if they don't have to pay. Potential abusers are also keen on freebies.

If everything goes well and the cat is successfully rehomed, she should make a generous donation to the group that helped her; they are always starved for funds.

And if allergies are really a problem :rolleyes: she should think about getting her cat shaved every few months. It is an effective - albeit dramatic - way of reducing dander.

sugarcatmom
October 14th, 2008, 07:19 AM
She could also try Allerpet (http://www.allerpet.com/products/product1.htm) wipes and a Hepa air filter.

aslan
October 14th, 2008, 08:26 AM
She could also try Allerpet (http://www.allerpet.com/products/product1.htm) wipes and a Hepa air filter.

add antihistamines and allergy shots to the list scm.

14+kitties
October 14th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Keep the cat. Get rid of second hubby and kids. :rolleyes:

Love4himies
October 14th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Keep the cat. Get rid of second hubby and kids. :rolleyes:

I was thinking that too!

14+kitties
October 14th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Honestly, that last answer was pretty glib but how often do you hear "Oh, my poor hubby, my kids, my whatever are allergic to nasty Nemo so he has to go"? It's getting to be a pretty tired excuse! krdahmer, aslan, ancient, my kids, probably lots more on here, deal with the allergies and keep on truckin'.
:loser:s!

That cat is gorgeous!!!!

BenMax
October 14th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I was thinking that too!

I was thinking the same thing....OMG that is scary!

I always say that if you have not exhausted every avenue then you are not trying enough.

ancientgirl
October 14th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Unfrickinbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who do the dogs belong to? The hubby and kids I bet. Nice of her to fight for HER pet. :wall:

Tell her I began my journey taking 2 different pills (one of which added to my anxiety and depression) and 1 nasal medication. After a year I am down to just nasal medication every few days. It CAN be overcome, that is, if you care enough to do it.

Please, I wish these people would come up with a better excuse, this one is getting old.:frustrated:

aslan
October 14th, 2008, 10:14 AM
i can soooo relate ancient, i am allergic to my boys and they are still here. bath them, meds clean the house and off we go. If they are young kids exposing them now is good for them they will build up immunities. No way i would choose a spouse over a pet.

ancientgirl
October 14th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Aslan, for many of us rehoming is not an option. It's called commitment, our society seems to have forgotten the meaning of that word.

What really frosts my rear is the dogs!!! So the dogs are okay to stay but not her cat? Sorry, she didn't just decide overnight to get married. You're telling me this guy and the kids never saw that cat or was near that cat? Now suddenly everyone is allergic and can't live with the cat? PULEEZE!

I can't feel sorry for anyone complaining about allergies. I live with the guilt of surrendering a cat to the Humane Society given to me years ago, because I was too naive to insist on my doctor giving me allergy medication. I live with that guilt on a daily basis and some days I cry for my poor girl because I realize now I may have sent her to her death. To my dying day I will never forgive myself for that.

Failing this time was not an option for me, and I and many here are living proof you can live with it.

BenMax
October 14th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Like Ancientgirl - I wonder why there were no 'symptoms' before the marriage, and now the allergies are an issue. In this day and age I am certain that they 'spent the night together' and therefore they would have been equally aware of the 'problem'.

To be honest with you one of my criterias for dating is simple. I ask the following questions:

Do you like animals? Have you ever had an animal? If so, for how long? Are you allergic to any type of animal?

If any of my questions do not fit in my lifestyle - he's OUT! Next....

If my questions are answered in such a way that I deem fitting - then the next step is to 'spend the night together' - at my house. Any sneezing, or sniffiling or complaints - I cease whatever I am doing :offtopic: and call it a night ...forever!

That's just me I guess - and indeed I may be single forever but I am at peace with that.

aslan
October 14th, 2008, 10:48 AM
jeez i'm glad grace didn't ditch me 'cause of a sneeze or a sniffle.

ancientgirl
October 14th, 2008, 10:49 AM
BenMax you forgot one question, "Do you object to sharing a bed with animals?"

My cats have full reign of my bed, they can come and go as they please, and the only time they are kicked off is when they are fighting or being otherwise nasty to each other.

Maybe it's why I'm having a hard time finding someone, but my cats were there first, and guess what? When the guy is out of my life, my cats will STILL be there.

BenMax
October 14th, 2008, 10:51 AM
BenMax you forgot one question, "Do you object to sharing a bed with animals?"

My cats have full reign of my bed, they can come and go as they please, and the only time they are kicked off is when they are fighting or being otherwise nasty to each other.

Maybe it's why I'm having a hard time finding someone, but my cats were there first, and guess what? When the guy is out of my life, my cats will STILL be there.

Oh you are right....I don't even ask that because it is a given! The cats and dogs stay......but only 'after':censored:.

When I sleep, I have to give up my pillows, leg room and sometimes find myself half off of the bed...but I would have it no other way.

badger
October 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM
The cats and dogs stay......but only 'after'.

Several years ago, at the address where I am now, my neighbour across the hall 'entertained clients' in her apartment. She had a mixed breed puppy called Copain (Buddy) and a tuxedo cat called Félix. When she was busy, she would confine them on the front balcony, which is quite small. I remember seeing their little faces side by side peering down at me when I got back from work. They were great friends. Her guardianship was a bit hit or miss but she defnitely loved her animals.
Maybe her clients were allergic? :laughing::laughing:

BenMax
October 14th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Several years ago, at the address where I am now, my neighbour across the hall 'entertained clients' in her apartment. She had a mixed breed puppy called Copain (Buddy) and a tuxedo cat called Félix. When she was busy, she would confine them on the front balcony, which is quite small. I remember seeing their little faces side by side peering down at me when I got back from work. They were great friends. Her guardianship was a bit hit or miss but she defnitely loved her animals.
Maybe her clients were allergic? :laughing::laughing:

That is a good one! I give the girl credit where credit is due!

Love4himies
October 14th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Honestly, that last answer was pretty glib but how often do you hear "Oh, my poor hubby, my kids, my whatever are allergic to nasty Nemo so he has to go"? It's getting to be a pretty tired excuse! krdahmer, aslan, ancient, my kids, probably lots more on here, deal with the allergies and keep on truckin'.
:loser:s!

That cat is gorgeous!!!!

My DH has allergies to kitties, but he would never deny me my cats, maybe he knows that I would have to make a choice and well, we all know who would win :whistle:

BenMax
October 14th, 2008, 01:39 PM
My DH has allergies to kitties, but he would never deny me my cats, maybe he knows that I would have to make a choice and well, we all know who would win :whistle:

Sorry off topic but what does DH stand for (I think of it as Darn Husband) - but I am certain that is not what it is.

14+kitties
October 14th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Sorry off topic but what does DH stand for (I think of it as Darn Husband) - but I am certain that is not what it is.

Hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!! That is cute!! In most cases probably what we would like to say!! But in reality it means Dear Husband or Darling Husband.

I could add a few..... D***head husband, Dork Husband, Dumb Hubby, etc.......

kanis
October 14th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I know. It makes me so sad. :( I'm going to contact her with some of the resources posted. Hopefully this beauty will find a loving home.

kathryn
October 14th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I became allergic to my rabbit a few years after I adopted him. Guess I should have given him back to the shelter? :rolleyes: No... you deal with it. Well, easier for a rabbit obviously as he lives in a hutch outback. But, you do what you have to do. I have allergies right now that are just seasonal allergies at this point and the cats aggravate it alot. If worse comes to worse, I'll go on meds.

My aunt gets an allergy shot once a week so she can keep her 2 kitties. My cousin has severe asthma and he just uses his inhaler a bit more. So 2/3 people in that house are completely and totally allergic to kitties and one of the cats is a long haired tortie and guess what, they deal with it. And their cats aren't even that nice of cats!

Some people :yell: Go take some anti-histamines!!!

BenMax
October 15th, 2008, 08:04 AM
LIstening to excuses really makes me sick. We get them all the time. My favourite excuse thus far is that the animal was not compatible with 'their religion'.......I guess they just converted??? I think not!