Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I called Animal Control...

meg4050
October 13th, 2008, 08:23 PM
..on my parent's neighbours. This has been a long time coming but this weekend just put me over the edge.

These people moved in two doors down about 2 years ago. To put it nicely, they are a 'trashy' bunch. When they moved in, they had this gorgeous dog...he looks to be a chocolate lab/irish setter cross or something of the sort. I met him for the first time about a month after they moved in when I found him on my front lawn after hearing Barkley going crazy at the front door. I went and got him and found his tag which had a number so I called and found out it was them. So I rteturned him, no thank you or anything..just a 'Oh, I dunno how he got out'. Over the next few months we would hear him barking all the time because they never let him in. I found him wandering in the street another day and grabbed him and as I was walking him back home, passed his owner (I didn't recognize him) but anyway, he was like "Oh, hey that;s my dog". So I gave him a piece of my mind that day and he said he'd be more careful. We back onto a field too and I've lost count of the number of times I've seen him loose out there and before I've gotten out into the back his owners realize. So that's the story of the dog....

Forward a few months... I come home at Christmas break and find out that have gotten a cat. A male cat which wanders around the neighbourhood un-neutered. At this point Midnight was still alive and he loved to sit out on the deck...never roamed, never went down in the backyard. This other cat attacked Midnight twice and then started spraying our deck and backyard. That stopped soon after when Midnight started getting sick and we didn't let him out with us anymore. So I go back to school and come home for another break a couple of months later and the cat had NO TAIL!!! My parents told me that he disappeared for a little while and then re-appeared tail-less. I'm assuming he was hit by a car or something.

So as you can see...these people are idiots and have no right owning pets. Well, last summer about a week after we got Romeo, they get a kitten. We're friends with the people who live in between us and them and they told us they were given the kitten from a farm. So what do they do? Leave the kitten outside from day one...I'm talking a six, maybe seven week old kitten out to fend for himself. Luckily he stayed close to home but he wandered into our yard one day and I took him home...the kids were the only ones home so I tried to explain to them that they shouldn't be doing this but it went no where. Their neighbour on the other side called animal control and the humane society at that point but for whatever reason, nothing was able to be done.

Saturday morning I'm in my parent's kitchen and I see something move on the patio so I look and a cat (the kitten from last summer). He looked like he was trying to chase something between the patio stones. I went outside and he was very friendly...started rolling over when he saw me...when I got closer I realized he had been trying as hard as he could to gather all of the bird seed that had dropped from the feeder above. The poor thing was starving.. you can't really tell from the pictures but he is tiny and skin and bones. He's about the size Peaches was when I first got him and Peaches was a seriously ill cat. So I went inside and got some kibble and a bowl of Peaches' wet food and he just gobbled it down. So I went over to their house and knocked on the door... no answer... I just hear the dog barking and the tail-less cat came out from beside the porch. I had to go to a wedding so I decided to try again later..again no one home. Their neighbour came outside the third time I went over and said she hadn't seen them or their car since the night before...so I'm assuming they've gone away for the weekend leaving two cats outside with no food or water and a dog inside who probably wasn't checked on at all. So I called animal control...the girl was very nice and when I told her the address and she brought it up...there were 5 other complaints against them that they weren't able to file for whatever reason. This time she said she would send someone out and if they found both cats and no one home they would have more to work with. I'm not sure what's happened but my parents and neighbour are going to keep me posted :fingerscr

Here are a few shots of the little guy...he was really cute

Frenchy
October 13th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Good for you for calling animal control , but next time , just don't give them back their pets once you find them , just take them and call a rescue ?

meg4050
October 13th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I should have.. the one thing holding me back was that I wasn't 100% sure this cat was theirs until I called Animal Control and they had a license for it (go figure...the most irresponsible owners yet they actually have a licence).

t.pettet
October 13th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Wow that little cat is so skinny, kudos to you for trying to help these neglected pets.

onster
October 13th, 2008, 09:41 PM
wow that cat is seriously skinny, poor guy. I cant believe he was trying to collect bird seed, that just breaks my heart. And the tailless cat?? :wall::sad:

Clearly they dont give a crap about their animals so why do they keep getting more? :wall:

Honestly I would do as frenchy said...especially if the one really skinny guy comes by again and he probably will, he knows u provide much needed food now :lovestruck:

growler~GateKeeper
October 13th, 2008, 09:44 PM
:sad:

Thanks Megs for giving these animals a new chance :fingerscr AC can nail them this time

MommaKat
October 13th, 2008, 10:12 PM
:( If you look closely at his face in the first picture you can tell there is nothing to him *sigh* poor critters. I hope Animal control helps these little animals.

14+kitties
October 14th, 2008, 12:04 AM
:sad: Heartbreaking. Nothing left to say. Just heartbreaking.

hazelrunpack
October 14th, 2008, 12:04 AM
That's so sad. :sad: I'm glad you called AC and :fingerscr that they can actually do something this time. Did they tell you why they couldn't file the complaints?

kanis
October 14th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Poor babies. :( I don't know why people decide to bring animals into their lives if they're not going to cherish them and treat them well.

I called the SPCA on my in laws neighbours a few years back. The dog was a beautiful cocker spaniel. He was left outside 24/7 with zero interaction. True he was given food and water and had a tiny dog house (no blanket or anything) but they never ever interacted with him. After the visit from the SPCA, I saw a change in their behaviour. I actually saw them walking him, and talking to him. All it took was a scare I guess.

rainbow
October 14th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Meg, thanks so much for stepping up to help this poor kitty. :angel:

The poor little guy is seriously malnourished. :sad: I hope AC will do something to help him and the other cat/dog that live with those :loser:'s. Keep us updated. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

meg4050
October 14th, 2008, 06:21 PM
No definite word yet but my neighbour saw a notice in the door of their house with the AC logo on it when she left for work this morning and was gone when she came home at lunch. No sign of either of the cats around her yard today :fingerscr

Love4himies
October 14th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Judging for those pics, that cat has been starving. Good for you calling animal control, hopefully the pets will be taken away and be adopted to better homes.

im_nomad
October 15th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I can relate, and this is a dilemma, living in a small town with neighbours so close by...it's hard to know if you'll face retalation upon yourself, or if people will start complaining about YOUR animal instead.

Last year I had people move in next door with a husky that I have no idea why they had. It was tied up off the back step and from what I could tell, maybe let in at night. It dug a hole in the back yard, as well as one under the step, presumably to keep warm, as it was left out more than 12 hours a day i'm sure, often in snowstorms. No food or water bowl that I could see, and no dog house. I understand that huskies can withstand more winter than say, a ****-zu........but this dog would bark and bark and bark all hours. ...at times when i also knew the owners were at home. Aside from the fact that I don't allow my dog to bark her head off for anymore than a few minutes, i felt horrible for the dog who who howl during snow times. I don't ever remember seeing anyone interacting with this dog. And with the neighbours very often not at home, it was myself and other neighbours who were left to listen to the constant barking, because this dog NEVER stopped.

I was close to the reporting point when they moved out ( i beleive someone did ). But I can say I worried about this,......i.e. what if they came banging on my door ( I live alone ) or worse, decided to retaliate by reporting MY dog. I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone's business. It's REALLY hard to know what to do .

meg4050
October 25th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Finally got an update...

Unfortunatley A/C still doesn't have enough against them to remove the pets. But apparently they have arranged that an A/C officer will be visiting the house once a week at random times to check the circumstances. This will continue until they have either found something that makes the remove the pets or they are satisfied that's they are now being properly cared for. I guess it's better than nothing :shrug:

badger
October 25th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Does that mean if they don't find the cats at home, they can seize them? I hope they keep up the pressure, although some people can get comfortable with anything, including regular visits from AC :frustrated:

Frenchy
October 25th, 2008, 08:08 PM
they have arranged that an A/C officer will be visiting the house once a week at random times

That's pretty good Meg , nothing like this would happen here , lack of inspectors. So yes , that's pretty good :thumbs up

BusterBoo
October 25th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Why is it on the Animal Planet, the inspectors from the SPCA in many USA cities can seize animals but it appears in Canada, they don't have the same powers and it takes weeks/months before anything is done?????

:wall:

Frenchy
October 25th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Why is it on the Animal Planet, the inspectors from the SPCA in many USA cities can seize animals but it appears in Canada, they don't have the same powers and it takes weeks/months before anything is done?????

:wall:

Because our canadian laws suck :cool:

meg4050
October 25th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Because our canadian laws suck :cool:

pretty much :shrug:

badger, from my understanding if they find the cats outside everytime and in the condition that this guy was in when I found him then they should be able to seize him. Same goes for the dog if they're finding it outside all of the time. Should A/C show up when they're home and they can't account for the cats and appear as irresponsible as they are, it will give A/C more to work with too

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2008, 01:34 AM
So if they clean up their act for a while till AC is satisfied, do you think they'll relapse once the official attention is gone, meg? Y'know, I'm always torn in situations like this...you want these people to shape up, but to be absolutely sure the animals will be safe, you also hope they screw up so the animals can be seized. :shrug:

I think seizures are still the exception in most places in the States, too. :sad: Animal Planet highlights the cities that have strong laws...but most of them don't seem to have very good laws or the will to enforce them and most rural areas have no laws at all. :shrug:

kandy
October 27th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I think seizures are still the exception in most places in the States, too. :sad: Animal Planet highlights the cities that have strong laws...but most of them don't seem to have very good laws or the will to enforce them and most rural areas have no laws at all. :shrug:

I would agree with that - I know in my area, it would take an act of god to get the AC to actually confiscate an animal. In fact they won't even investigate any allegations of animal cruelty or neglect unless someone is willing to testify against the animal owners. And sadly, since some people are worried about retaliation, they won't testify, which means that whatever abuse they witnessed just keeps right on happening. :sad:

meg4050
October 27th, 2008, 05:35 PM
So if they clean up their act for a while till AC is satisfied, do you think they'll relapse once the official attention is gone, meg? Y'know, I'm always torn in situations like this...you want these people to shape up, but to be absolutely sure the animals will be safe, you also hope they screw up so the animals can be seized. :shrug:

In the case of this family... I really don't see them changing. They may clean up their act until A/C is satisfied but I don't see any longterm changes. Hopefully if A/C were to be called again afterwards if something happens again, then that would be the final straw :shrug:

babymomma
October 27th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Meg- Im having the same problems with my neighbors Huskey x.. They treat her half descent until they let her get pregnant. Than they top feeding her in hopes she willl lose the puppies so they do not have to do anything with the pups.(i end up feeding her twice a day) They let her roam around while shes pregnant. Ive called AC and the spca soo many times. and they've went down and gave them warnings. and of course they took care of the dogs for the first couple of weeks. Then everything went back to "Normal" .. ARGH.. A few weeks ago the husky came into MY yard and attacked keely :eek: Even with calling ac, the spca and the cops, nothing was done about the darn dog or the D*mn Owners.. URGGH

Ehrman
October 30th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I honestly think it's partly because there is so little room in shelters. AC doesn't want to seize an animal an have it euthanized a week later in an overcrowded shelter. I think that basically unless they see someone hitting their pet, they are pretty slow to actually remove the animal from the home.
It's really sad and really frustrating for animal lovers to watch and feel helpless as they see pets being underfed and left out in the cold. but like Kanis was saying, sometimes the visits from AC or SPCA can help.
Another thing that AC is now trying harder to do, is educate people rather than just seize animals.
Times have changed alot, we know so much more about what is best for the health of animals than we used to. My grandparents grew up in the depression and when my grandmother sees us feeding my dog a special diet because of her allergies she thinks that we are INSANE. When she grew up dogs were lucky to come in the house and even luckier to get some table scraps. The dogs lived outside and got to sleep in the barn if it was cold, mostly they let them hunt for rats and rabbits on the farm for food. My grandpa on the other hand loves the dogs and wants to make them happy he tries to sneak them bits of greasy people-food under the table, a few times my sister has freaked out at him when she has caught him letting her dogs drink out of his wine glass or beer mug, he just doesn't understand that it's not good for them, he says "I always used to let my old bird dog have some beer, never hurt him any". When it comes right down to it some people aren't cruel, they really are just ignorant. If AC accesses a situation and believes that the people are cretinous rather than intentionally inhumane, they do their best to teach them the proper way to care for their animals. All in all if AC can enlighten an animal owner who already cares about their pets to properly take care of their pets, then that is SO much better than seizing the pet, it living for three weeks in an jam-packed shelter and when it hasn't been adopted it being put down.

I live in a big city animals getting hit by cars is a heartbreaking reality, I used to constantly be frustrated when I'd see my neighbour's cats playing in the front street, and I'd know it's only a matter of time before one of them dies in a tragic accident. One of my friends is proud owner to a 3-legged dog that he rescued from the SPCA after the previous negligent owner let him run loose in the city. When he was over at my house with his dog for a visit this summer I brought him over and introduced him and his dog to my neighbour who was bad for letting her dog and two cats run loose. I think it made her realize what could happen. I think it also made her realize she couldn't afford for it to happen, emergency surgeries can cost a fortune. If my friend wasn't a well paid paramedic with such a kindheart, and if he hadn't happened to be at the SPCA looking for a dog at the exact moment that dog came in, and if he hadn't decided in that instant that he wanted him, and that he'd pay for the amputation and all the surgeries the dog needed. Ranger would be dead. The SPCA would have had no choice but to put him down, it cost my friend over $4000 to save that dog he didn't even know. My neighbour is so much better now she doesn't let her animals out on the front street anymore, and she fixed her back fence so they can play safely there. Spending 5 minutes to give your neighbours a bit of education goes ALOT farther than than the hours and hours you spend at home worried about their animals.