Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Uh-Oh....we have a problem.

onster
October 13th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Sir Floof-a-lot but not groom-a-lot has a matted tail. Yeah, of course it would be Bunduk. I know I know not his precious tail :eek::cry:.

Basically the dude doesnt really have time to groom himself :rolleyes: and when he does he just gets himself wet in one patch :yuck: and then gets dissinterested. At the same time he doesnt sit still for brushing. He does get groomed a lot by Onnie :lovestruck: ..honestly Onnie smacks him down and gives him a full groom, u may think "awwww" but no, Bunduk screams , lol. Onnie does it anyway and I let him :evil:.

Onnie doesnt do the tail or the haunches tho and today I was trying to brush bunduk out a little because he always looks so unkempt (really its part of his charm). He let me do his face quite willingly and even leaned in....but when it cames to his haunches/tail he started biting the comb...and then scratching at it and my hand...finally he started biting me :frustrated:. What do I do...he wont let me comb them out ...itty bitty tail matts....

lol I wonder what he would look like if I shaved his tail??? :crazy: j/k..would never do that!!!

I suppose the itty matts arent a big deal but Anita at catnap alerted me to something...if I dont deal with his grooming issues now (by brushing him everyday) I may have trouble when he's older and he stops doing it himself for whatever reason (or Onnie stops doing it for him :rolleyes:).

Frenchy
October 13th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Could you distract him with treats or cat nip while you brush him ?

onster
October 13th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I tried but as soon as the comb goes near his butt/tail at all (even touches it without grooming) he swivells right around and then bites the comb :shrug: Im sure its because it hurts when I try to take them out...Anita said she just quickly did one swipe of the tail and then back to the face for a while then quickly the tail/butt area again..but with the matts I cant do it quickly I need to brush them out..

ancientgirl
October 13th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Is his entire tail matted? Maybe you can just clip the really bad patch.:shrug:

Jim Hall
October 13th, 2008, 01:35 PM
hold him down and do it he will get used to it
we have to do that to manda every week around her butt she hates it and complains the whole time but she is better off for it

onster
October 13th, 2008, 01:36 PM
its not all matted... it has a lot of pea sized little matts in it. Looking at his tail it doesnt look matted but you cant run a comb through it :shrug:

onster
October 13th, 2008, 01:40 PM
hold him down and do it he will get used to it
we have to do that to manda every week around her butt she hates it and complains the whole time but she is better off for it

But wont he just hate it more and more? Is manda getting used to it/doesnt mind it so much? I dont want him to have an aversion to brushing you know?

I did hold him down today and got a few matts out but when the biting got really bad I had to stop. He was warning me a lot with bites that didnt hurt but then he got really pissed.

I guess I could do the same tomorrow and stop when he starts biting hard to get more matts out. Im just afraid he'll start biting hard sooner then. :shrug:

Does anyone know if a brush or a comb is better? (maybe brush will hurt less?) I used a comb with 2 sized teeth..the one side has narrower spaces and I use it on Onnie and I use the wide teeth for Bunduk..

BenMax
October 13th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Do not hold him down! Oh gosh this will just aggrevate the situation.

krdahmer
October 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM
My parents have a heck of a time brushing out their long haired cat... but they do have a system that works. First off you need two people, lots of treats and a harness.

You put the harness on Bunduk, and have one person hold him, the other person gently holds the tail and brushes. When he gets rangy, let him down for a minute, while still holding the harness and give him a couple treats. Then pick him up again and resume brushing. Cordy squirms a bit, but the harness makes it easier to hold her without hurting her, and the more they do this, the less fuss she makes. It's not her favorite thing even still, but the treats help and once they're done, she even stays around to see if there are more treats! And of course the more soothing baby talk, the better... if you get stressed, they get rangy! :)

Oh and sometimes a people brush works good too, and I also found a wide toothed metal comb that works well for mats too. (Windy gets them once in a blue moon.)

Love4himies
October 13th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I don't brush knots out of Jasper or Puddles, it is very painful, I just cut them out. May not be pretty when I am done, but is more humane for them.

onster
October 13th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks krdhamer, ill try that. He hates the harness too though, lol. Ill give it a try tho, slowly but surely.

I tried to cut out some of the knots but I guess my scissors or no good, it was hard cutting his fur .but I was just using the regular kitchen scissors. I dont wanna hurt my baby so maybe ill just cut out the matts then use krdahmers method (or a variation) to brush him and hopefully prevent future matts.

rainbow
October 13th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I have no suggestions, Onster....just wanted to wish you good luck :goodvibes: and hugs for poor Bunduk. :grouphug:

Jim Hall
October 13th, 2008, 07:37 PM
manda still complaions but knows she gets a treat after wards so doesnt put up to much of a fight

jiorji
October 13th, 2008, 09:52 PM
heheh Bunduk is getting dreadlocks :D

Peanuts used to have them and i just trimmed them out. It's easier. But if you're a patient person, the more you try to brush them, the more they get used to it. Peanut didn't like it either and then one day she just let me do it. She's won't sit still for long but gives me enough time

onster
October 13th, 2008, 10:13 PM
lol well he wants to be the maid of honour at Peanut and Onnie's wedding so he has to match the bide :p

Okies I will get better scissors and then snip snip snip. Ill still try to brush him every day, even for a few seconds....Orrrrr I should just 'spill' tuna juice on his tail and let Onnie get to work :evil:

onster
October 13th, 2008, 10:14 PM
thanks rainbow :grouphug:

Dracko
October 13th, 2008, 10:23 PM
My Kinsey gets mats in her fur often. None of my others do, just her. It's the type of fluffy, light fur she has. She loves to get brushed and I do it a lot but next thing I know I pet her and there's a darn mat of hair!!!

At first I was hesitant to cut them out (didn't want to destroy her natural beauty :p ) but now I do just to make sure they don't cause her problems. I find it too painful for her if I try to comb them out.

You should take a before and after picture of his tail for us. :lightbulb::thumbs up

onster
October 14th, 2008, 12:28 AM
interesting dracko, that's just how I would describe Bunduk's fur - fluffy and light.

Upon further inspection, Bunduk may need to have a drastic cut done to his tail. His little matts are just everywhere....I feel so bad that I didnt notice this before :sad:

Im such a :loser:

Tundra_Queen
October 14th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Willy is very fluffy and long haired and he also bites. But I brush him when he is eating his food. I have always done this and he has gotten use to it.

When it comes to his tail, I tell him what a nice tail he has and I grab onto the tail to stop any pulling I may do from hurting him.

I also don't use a comb, I use a dog brush, the one with the metal teeth close together and I don't pull hard either. Just very lightly.

If he has a tat in his fur I will let it grow out a bit so that I don't cut him with the scissors. And then I just cut it out.

Do u have any feliway spray? Maybe u could spray some on the area u normally brush him to keep him calma?

Good luck
Debbie

ownedbycats
October 14th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I read on someone else's post here (and I'm sorry I can't remember whose or which thread it was) that when you are cutting mats out of a cat's coat, if you absoutely have to do it, because of their thin skin you should slide a comb under the mat between the scissors and the skin to prevent accidentally nicking your cat with the scissors. (whoever originally posted the information I'm really sorry I can't give you proper credit, but it's been so long I don't even remeber what I was searching for when I came across this infarmation).