Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Microchips and pet tags

24petgirl
October 13th, 2008, 08:53 AM
To tell you a little bit about microchips that I've come to know.

To rephrase so that people are not offended.

1. FROM WHAT I'VE KNOWN..They are usually inexpensive.
2. FROM WHAT I'VE KNOWN They are not painful. The gauge is a little bigger than that of a vaccination.
3. FROM WHAT I'VE KNOWN They do not move around in the pet's body.
4. IN MY OPINION They are not a health risk.
5. They are NOT a GPS system.
6. There are universal and non universal readers. Ones that read ISO and ones that read NON-ISO chips.
7. USA uses NON-ISO chips at 125khz. Canada and other countires use ISO chips, 134.2khz.
8. USA is one of the only countries that use NON-ISO chips (non International Standard Organization) ((for technology)) If a pet from outside the US where to travel with their owner and become lost, it would be difficult to find them and vise versa. If an American pet were to be lost outside of the US, the scanners may not pick up the chip.
9.When a pet changes ownership, the new owner needs to contact the microchip's recovery program and get the ownership information updated so that if the pet is lost and found by someone the pet does not get reunited with the old owner.
10. 24petwatch, AVID, HOMEAGAIN, (petnet), are some of the Microchip recovery systems.
11.When I talk about recovery I mean the database and company where your pet and your information is stored. The company you call when your pet is lost or found.
12. Will reword at a later time.
13. It is easiest to be reuinted with your pet if you purchase a metal tag with your recoveries number on one side and your pet microchip on the other. That way an individual can call us and reunite him/her rather than that individual having to bring the pet to a shelter where they would have to scan your pet. It's a longer process and though most shelters scan pets, some don't.

Any questions?

Stacer
October 13th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks for all the info.

Most of us here on pets.ca have our pets microchipped.

Chris21711
October 13th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the info. Although they Can move around in the body.

Soter
October 13th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I didn't know they could move around! Are you sure??

I'm all for them, they are very useful... with pets.

But they are being introduced to humans, now that i don't like! the government tracking your every move!!

Thanks for the info

Chris21711
October 13th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I didn't know they could move around! Are you sure??

A couple of years ago, we came out of the house in the morning to find a Pit Bull tied to a tree in our front yard, my daughter who works at the SPCA, took the dog to work with her and scanned him. As a rule the chips are implanted in the back of the neck, she found his in his right front leg. She was starting to panic since he didn't fall in the timeline of Restricted Pit Bulls in this Province. Luckily he got adopted :thumbs up

RUSTYcat
October 13th, 2008, 11:55 AM
For anyone just catching this thread....a few points:

The poster has also posted this second thread (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57415) in which s/he states
I now work at 24petwatch and I get phone calls for missing and found pets.

Never having heard of 24petwatch, I did a simple Google search and found this site (http://www.24petwatch.com/index.asp).

So much for the impression I received that the poster was making a "public service announcement"...

Any questions?
Well, just some comments:
4. They (microchips) are not a health risk.
Well, actually, the jury is still out on this...as they (chips) relate to cats. Anyone considering a microchip implant in a cat would be well advised to do some independent research...

3. They do not move around in the pet's body.
Well, actually, that's not the case. Microchips are known to migrate...again, some personal researching will confirm that.

12. There is usually a small matience fee to be paid either yearly or for the lifetime of your pet. (9.95 yearly or 39.95 for lifetime of pet)
Well, my understanding is that the original purchase price (from the Vet who implants the chip) covers all costs for the life of the pet, thereby eliminating the need for any extra fees for service from businesses such as 24petwatch.

...Most of us here on pets.ca have our pets microchipped.

Now, Stacer, I'm not wishing nor intending to argue that point (although I do wonder how you reached that conclusion)...but, for the benefit of anyone considering a (new) chip implant in a cat, my own personal advice would be: do your own research on the possible health risks, the possible/potential benefits and on alternatives.

Stacer
October 13th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Now, Rustycat, I reached that conclusion by reading/participating in threads where microchips have been discussed.

You may not have your pets microchipped, but I've never had a discussion with you, about anything, really.

I guess I could have been more clear; alot of regular posting members on this board have their pets microchipped.

My dog actually has a 24petwatch microchip and we are under no obligation to pay any fees. We paid for the microchip itself and if we so choose, we can pay a fee to ensure that if she's lost and becomes injured any medical treatment she may need will be covered (info which will be found on the chip when she's scanned). We opted for just the microchip, that's it, that's all. She'll still be scanned and hopefully returned to us if she's ever lost, regardless if we use any other services offered by them.
I'm not sure what point you were trying to make by posting the link to their website. It's just another business, nothing sinister.

I'm actually not sure what your problem is period. She's obviously a girl that loves her job helping to reunite people with their pets. She's new here and may not realize that alot of us here are quite knowledgeable, are involved with rescue and go out of our way to help lost pets.

Take it easy, it's Thanksgiving, eat some turkey.

BenMax
October 13th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Firstly - welcome to the forum.

Personally, I think you can provide many with some very valuable information. So thanks for that.

As we all know here on this forum, there is nothing more heartbreaking then when someone loses their pets - there are so many threads that proves that all of us are concerned when one goes missing.

Whether this person is promoting a business - it surely is a business that is worth listening to. If people did infact microchip their animals, then we certainly would not be rushing onto our computers everyday trying to get the status on whether an owner found their family pet or not.

This person is listing the benefits and asking if we have questions or concerns. I think she is being transparent and fits into this forum perfectly.

So for those that take opposition I frankly am at a complete lose as to why. This is educational and informative - and I am certain will allow people to look into this topic of microchipping a little more seriously....I know I will.

krdahmer
October 13th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Mine were all microchipped for free and registered for free also. And yes one of my guy's chips has already migrated. I was aware of some of the risks, but felt the benefits outweighed that, as most of my guys started outdoors and do seem to still feel the urge every now and then to attempt the great escape. Mine also all wear collars and tags, even being strictly indoor cats. I just can't imagine not doing everything in my power to make it easier should they get out/lost to have them identified quickly and returned home to me! :thumbs up

BenMax
October 13th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Mine were all microchipped for free and registered for free also. And yes one of my guy's chips has already migrated. I was aware of some of the risks, but felt the benefits outweighed that, as most of my guys started outdoors and do seem to still feel the urge every now and then to attempt the great escape. Mine also all wear collars and tags, even being strictly indoor cats. I just can't imagine not doing everything in my power to make it easier should they get out/lost to have them identified quickly and returned home to me! :thumbs up

Well put and good for you. I have lost one due to not taking necessary precautions. Years have passed but I will never forgive myself for it. Better safe than sorry.

24petgirl
October 13th, 2008, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE=RUSTYcat;673399]For anyone just catching this thread....a few points:

/QUOTE]

Ok,that's fine Rusty Cat, but there's no need to attack me about it.
I didn't say anything about hard evidence. I'm not saying I'm a vet.

Why do you think I asked if there was any questions?

I'm just giving information from what I know from where I work. Most things in life can be argued even scientific evidence.

24petgirl
October 13th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the info. Although they Can move around in the body.

Really? Hmm... They're not suppose to. Then again nothing is ever guaranteed in life except death, right?

The reason they are not suppose to move around is because I know some are coated with a 50-micron layer of Parylene, 'a biologically inert polymer'.
I suppose it may only be used to minimize the possibility of migration.

24petgirl
October 13th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Firstly - welcome to the forum.

Personally, I think you can provide many with some very valuable information. So thanks for that.

As we all know here on this forum, there is nothing more heartbreaking then when someone loses their pets - there are so many threads that proves that all of us are concerned when one goes missing.

Whether this person is promoting a business - it surely is a business that is worth listening to. If people did infact microchip their animals, then we certainly would not be rushing onto our computers everyday trying to get the status on whether an owner found their family pet or not.

This person is listing the benefits and asking if we have questions or concerns. I think she is being transparent and fits into this forum perfectly.

So for those that take opposition I frankly am at a complete lose as to why. This is educational and informative - and I am certain will allow people to look into this topic of microchipping a little more seriously....I know I will.

Hi There and thanks for your comment.
I would like to get this clear. I'm not out on this site to sit here and promote 24Petwatch. It's just who I work for. I stated my job because it's what I do. It's where I work and these are the types of problems I have seem in my job. I'm not perfect. Not an advertisment and I'm not a spokesperson for my company. Anything I say about 24petwatch isn't set in stone. I didn't even have to say my job name to get my point across. I just wanted you to know where I am coming from.

I don't want to make anyone upset so I changed my original post to a more "personalized one" That way it doesn't look like I am "stating" that these things I am saying are solid "facts" because they aren't. They are my opnions and what I've known and seen and if you have questions about where I got my research, I'd like to provide answers.

I'm an owner of 2 kitties, 1 dog and 4 rats. I love pets. and I do like my job.
I was weary of microchips at one point, but I've come to see the benefits and I like them now. I get to see first hand how microchips help pets and owners.

Of course no matter what there are people who are going to disagree.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone. That wasn't my intention.

My name is Jessica. I'm from Ontario Canada. I like pets, I like my job, I'm an open person and I'm not out here as a advertiser for the company I work for. I jst love animals :)

Stacer
October 13th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about what certain other posters opinions are on your original post. Looking back through past posts from a certain poster, it's apparent that they enjoy being condescending.

Welcome to pets.ca and we love those who love animals! I'm sure you have some great stories about pets reuniting with owners.

babymomma
October 13th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Hi jessica! My name is also Jessica and I would like to welcome you to this Wonderful forum. Some people On this forum like to jump to conclusions and contradict Almost everything that can be contradicted. Just dont take it too personally! :thumbs up (Trust me, been there, done that..lol)

I dont know if you would know if you could help me with this or tell me if there is anything i could do, but my 5 month old yorkie is Microchipped between the shoulders and i can feel it. And when I touch it, i can move it( Not alot mind you, but just wiggle it a bit) I didnt know The microchip was in that location and of course i got scared, convincd myself it was a small tumor and got my mom to take us to the vet. The vet said it was the micro chip. She didnt really say anything else about it except not to worry. But, do you think this is causing her anypain? Will it relocate eventually if something isnt done? Should we remove it and get anohter one? I know alot of people that cant feel there pets micro chip, should i worry? Also, I thought Micro chips were, well, Very tiny and you could barely even see it, but apparently they are like 5 mm long?! Im very confused about the whole microchipping process.. maybe you could clear some thing up for me?!

Thanks alot!

Jessica:cool: and keely:dog:

kathryn
October 13th, 2008, 06:54 PM
My shelter uses 24petwatch with the PetPoint and ShelterCare system! It's all great! I love your stuff. I have 4 of my cats with the 24petwatch watch microchip and one with Avid. The avid one cost 40$ to get implanted and 18$ to activate. The 24petwatch chips are 27$ to get implanted with free registration.

Your pet has a greater chance of getting euthanized in a shelter then having any bad effects from a microchip.

I have a question for you OP, do I have to pay the 40$ fee if I adopted my cat from the shelter? She came with the chip. She was chipped last December but I did not adopt her until August. How does that all work?

Jim Hall
October 13th, 2008, 10:51 PM
excellent post thanks for the info 24 welcome to the fray lol

it sounds like a great job

Tundra_Queen
October 14th, 2008, 12:55 AM
That is very interesting about the micro chip. I don't know much about them except from what I've read here in the past few weeks. I don't even know if our vets do that here. But I am going to ask when I take the kittens in this week for their second shots and the rabies shot.

Thanks for sharing that info.

Debbie

BenMax
October 14th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about what certain other posters opinions are on your original post. Looking back through past posts from a certain poster, it's apparent that they enjoy being condescending.

Welcome to pets.ca and we love those who love animals! I'm sure you have some great stories about pets reuniting with owners.

I second this. I am very interested in all your stories. For those in rescue or shelter staff, I think you add something very interesting to this forum. Please tell your stories.

Love4himies
October 14th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Gananoque and District Humane Society microchips all their cats with 24petwatch. Microchipping should be as routine as the first set of shots.

aslan
October 14th, 2008, 09:23 AM

I thoroughly agree with you Stacer..24petgirl welcome to the forum and i for one am very happy for the service your company provides as all 3 of my fuzzbutts are chipped.