Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I get my puppy to eat dry food?

DextersMommy
October 12th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Hey everyone,

I have a male Shorkie who just turned five months old. He was eating Authority dry food for awhile and then just stopped. He refused to eat it and began throwing up bio. While I was away on business, my mom decided to feed him canned food. Now all of a sudden he won't eat any dry food. I've tried changing his dry food a few times but still he won't touch it. I've mixed it in with his canned food but he will leave it behind.

How do I get my little guy back on dry food?

flipgirl4
October 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Please clarify what you meant by you tried changing his dry dog food a few times....a dog cannot make food changes quickly as his digestive system is shorter than a human's and therefore, cannot tolerate change as rapidly as we can.

Try wetting the kibble with a little warm water, don't soak it, just enough to wet it a bit. This will make it more pallatable. Or try chicken or beef broth.

This is what I did when I fed kibble - my dog would only eat it that way. Also, it's good to add water to kibble as he needs more hydration when eating dry food.

14+kitties
October 13th, 2008, 09:24 PM
My question is - Why do you want him eating kibble to begin with? The canned (a good variety with healthy meats, not filled with grain and byproducts) is better for him anyway.

kathryn
October 13th, 2008, 09:27 PM
What's a shorkie?

flipgirl4
October 13th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Canned food tends to contain more fat and is also more expensive. It does contain more protein on a dry food basis however.

Some people just don't have the resources to spend a lot of money and kibble is their best option.

I think a Shorkie may be a cross between a yorkshire terrier and a shih-tzu???that's my guess.

satchelp
October 13th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I'm not sure where you're getting the impression that canned food is high in fat. Unless it's really really bad canned food, the fat content is a lot lower than what is in kibble.

DextersMommy
October 14th, 2008, 12:28 AM
A Shorkie is a cross between Yorkie and a Shih Tzu. :)

I'm just worried that canned food isn't as healthy as dry food. Plus, I travel frequently so I want him on a food that is easy to travel with. I want him on a high quality dry food.

sugarcatmom
October 14th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Canned food is less processed than dry food, so that on it's own makes it healthier. Plus it tends to have less grains/carbohydrates since it doesn't need the starch to hold it together.

I'm not a fan of getting kibble wet unless it's going to be eaten immediately. Kibble is very high in bacteria and becomes a breeding ground when it gets wet. As well, moldy grains used in pet food produce various toxins when allowed to get moist and warm. Many pets have died from that.

Purpledomino
October 14th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I also agree that a quality canned dog food is a better and healthier alternative than dry, just for the fact that it is less processed than kibble. Any time you feed "real" food, meaning less processing involved...it is going to be closer to the ideal of fresh meats, veg, etc. The canning process alone ensures more moisture, less fillers, and more meat, than the alternative of kibble which requires heavily processed ingredients to form the food. Not to say that a quality kibble is not healthy, I feed kibble too...but given the choice of the two, I would say that canned is more easily digested and generally a better choice.

Innova and EVO have excellent canned (and dry) varieties....and for travelling I would suggest the smaller tins, 5.5 oz. If you really do not want to go with canned, they have very good kibble, and Orijen or ACANA is a good choice too. There are alot of good kibble choices you can try, and your dog may just be telling you that he just doesn't like what you put in front of him. After checking out the ingredients in the Authority, I think I would have the same reaction. IMO there are alot of better foods for you to try, and you can even pick up some sample packs at a good pet food store. Good luck! :dog:

flipgirl4
October 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I don't know, I have read in a few dog books and mags that canned food is higher in fat.

Anyway, the point is, the OP wants a dry food because he or she travels a lot with his or her dog. You could always try another brand of dry - Innova, Orijen (grain-free) and EVO (also grain-free) are good brands. Orijen specifically, seems softer and more meaty so that may be more enticing for your dog.

If you do decide to wet the kibble, don't leave it out for too long. Even if you don't wet it, only leave the bowl down for 20 minutes and then pick it up.

14+kitties
October 14th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I don't know, I have read in a few dog books and mags that canned food is higher in fat.

Anyway, the point is, the OP wants a dry food because he or she travels a lot with his or her dog. You could always try another brand of dry - Innova, Orijen (grain-free) and EVO (also grain-free) are good brands. Orijen specifically, seems softer and more meaty so that may be more enticing for your dog.

If you do decide to wet the kibble, don't leave it out for too long. Even if you don't wet it, only leave the bowl down for 20 minutes and then pick it up.

Where are you getting that info? I read nothing about her travelling a lot with his/her dog. :shrug: As a few very experienced posters have stated - canned is superior. It's pretty easy to pack canned and a can opener. JMO

MommaKat
October 14th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Where are you getting that info? I read nothing about her travelling a lot with his/her dog. :shrug: As a few very experienced posters have stated - canned is superior. It's pretty easy to pack canned and a can opener. JMO

I'm just worried that canned food isn't as healthy as dry food. Plus, I travel frequently so I want him on a food that is easy to travel with. I want him on a high quality dry food.

I missed it at first too ;) I agree that a can and can opener is still pretty quick and easy to travel with. If he's throwing up his kibble he might have allergies? I have no idea what's in authority dog food, but if this goes on much longer you may want to take him to a vet. Good luck :)

babymomma
October 14th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Yorkies are VERY picky eaters. They are like children and some require homecooked meals to even touch food. So i think you should thank yourself lucky she will even eat the canned food. My girl used to eat dry and canned but she now only eats canned hollistic select that i have to order in from St.johns! :eek:... Nice to see somebody here who is a fellow yorkie owner (And shi-tzu lol) ...

14+kitties
October 14th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Ooppss, sorry, I didn't even see that small post. :o I would think that travelling with a dog it would be much easier to carry a small can and opener into a motel room than a bag of dry, unpalatable food. Dry food is only convenient to us, not to the dog.

babymomma
October 14th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Also, forgot to add. Since i switched to feeding all Canned food, Ive notcied her coat is SOOOOO mnuch softer and beautiful. It was pretty before but now she gets complemented on it all the time! Does your dogs eyes tear and cause tear stains? When i switched to All canned food her Tearing slowed down considerably! ( Another trick ive heard work is distilled water, but i havent tried it personally) ..I know im not exactly the most experienced person in the world, but i have gathered enogh information to be able to recomend wet over dry In GOOD conscience! I watched a Documentary the other night and It talked about whats accually in dog kibble and the processing it goes through, and i swear to you, NOt one more peice of kible will go into my dogs mouth. EVER:yuck:

I wish i had the funds to feed her a RAW diet, buuut with the price of good quility meat around here its totally out of the question. Even though she is only about 8 lbs its still too expensive:yell::frustrated::wall:

Good luck! Oh yea, and i would love to see some pictures of your doggy!

flipgirl4
October 15th, 2008, 05:11 PM

This is a quote from Dextersmommy, the OP:

Do you feed a whole entire can at every meal? If so, fine but where is the OP supposed to store it if she doesn't? JMO.

I just said I read somewhere, I did NOT state it as fact. I don't feed canned or kibble but I was just stating something I had READ.

satchelp
October 15th, 2008, 07:10 PM
A lot of the better canned foods come in both 6 oz and 12 oz cans. The smaller cans would probably work well for travelling.

flipgirl4
October 16th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I would think that cans would be heavier than dry dog food but what do I know? But if they have single serving cans then I can see how you could travel with them.