Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hiding from Lady Bugs at Hazel Run

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 04:36 PM
The Hazel Run Mama finished up the daily vacuuming, grabbed the story book and went to find the Hazel Run Pack.

Everyone except Princess Lil Belle was already outside.

"Hey, Lil Belle, you wanna come listen to the story, too? Let's go out to Swing."

Swing is the traditional story-telling place at Hazel Run.
The Hazel Run Mama sat down in Swing and called the Pack.
"It's story time! It's story time!" they barked as they rushed over.

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 04:45 PM
But the Pack had barely settled before the first orange beetle had alit on the HRM's book.

"What's this?" she just had time to ask before a swarm of Lady Bugs came to roost in the Side Yard! :eek: Soon the whole Pack was busy snapping at Lady Bugs, trying to pull Lady Bugs out of their fur, and scratching away the tickles from Lady Bugs crawling on their backs.

"Yuck," whined Grace. "Lady Bugs taste amazingly icky! Can we go inside, please?"

The HRM looked around. There were lady bugs everywhere. There were some on the siding...
...some on the screens...
...and way too many were buzzing through the air.

"Okay, kids, let's go inside!"

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 04:48 PM
The lady bugs were so bad that even the Hazel Run Daddy had to come inside.

"Glad you're safe! Glad you're safe!" barked the Pack as they greeted him at the door.

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 04:54 PM
"Well, if you want me to read, you've got to settle down," said the HRM.

Esquire Brier settled on his favorite setter rug.

"Hey, Brier, let me lick that Lady Bug off your face," yapped Grace.

When it was gone, Grace lay down, too, and waited for the story to start.

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Sheriff Cole, King Ember, Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie, and Lady (in Waiting) Ridge arranged themselves comfortably on the bed.

Princess~Queen Cass and Princess Lil Belle lay under the ceiling fan and got comfy.

The Princess rested her chin on the Princess~Queen's Kuranda bed as the story began.

"Chapter 15," read the HRM, " 'The Quidditch Final'..."

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 05:06 PM
After the daily chapter was read and Book was put away, the Pack wandered out into the living room. Through the French Door windows they could see Lady Bugs swarming above the deck and Lady Bugs climbing up the screens.

"Hmmmm," said Princess Lil Belle sagely as she looked out the window, "perhaps I'll just enjoy a little sunshine in the safety of the living room."

And in the end, the rest of the Pack joined her.

The End

breeze
October 12th, 2008, 05:29 PM
amazing story hazel!!!! can I have a story read to me too sometime?? if the pack doesn't mind that is..:cloud9::lovestruck:

14+kitties
October 12th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Awwww A hazelrunpack story!!!!! I love hazelrunpack stories. :cloud9::cloud9: This one was particularily riveting as I find ladybugs marvelous most times but when they swarm like that....... :eek::yuck:!

Thank you for letting us see those marvelous setters!! :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
October 12th, 2008, 06:11 PM
:cloud9: :lovestruck: I luvs Pack stories :lovestruck: :cloud9:

but you can keep the ladybug swarms :yuck:

rainbow
October 12th, 2008, 06:43 PM
When I read the title I thought I was going to see you in the beekeeper outfit. :laughing:

This is one great story .......I loved it. :D And, the pack is so gorgeous, as always. :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM
amazing story hazel!!!! can I have a story read to me too sometime?? if the pack doesn't mind that is..:cloud9::lovestruck:

The more the merrier...but Bree and Archer have to come, too. :D

I luvs Pack stories :cloud9:

but you can keep the ladybug swarms

This one was particularily riveting as I find ladybugs marvelous most times but when they swarm like that....... !

They don't swarm as badly as the story implies :o...hazel used a little artistic license to bolster the plot, since there basically was no plot... :laughing: There are thousands of them, and they do fly through the air, but they don't mass into clouds. They have been known to coat the sunny side of the house, however. :eeew:

And of course I love to share the Pack...and now I have no excuse (except a failing connection) to withhold them. :D

When I read the title I thought I was going to see you in the beekeeper outfit. :laughing:

I could have used one of those! And I know they make tick suits for dogs--basically mesh dog-shaped envelopes :laughing:--I'll bet the Pack would have been willing to put up with the humiliation of wearing them just to be safe from the annoying Lady Bugs!

The Pack barks :thankyou: for all the compliments. :dog:

14+kitties
October 12th, 2008, 08:26 PM
They don't swarm as badly as the story implies :o...hazel used a little artistic license to bolster the plot, since there basically was no plot... :laughing: There are thousands of them, and they do fly through the air, but they don't mass into clouds. They have been known to coat the sunny side of the house, however. :eeew:

Oh but hazel, I have had them coat the side of my house. And hubby's shop and the tenant's cottage. And then they start coming into the house through every crack and crevice. Yuck!! Disgusting!!!

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Yeah, they can be pretty disgusting. When we first moved here, I was washing windows in the exposed side of the basement and I noticed the dogs were digging. So I cranked open the window, stuck my head out to tell them to knock it off, and about 500 dead lady bugs fell out of the casement into my hair! :eeew:

And when we changed out the light fixture in the dining room the old fixture was totally packed with lady bug carcasses inside. :yuck:

:laughing:

Diamondsmum
October 12th, 2008, 09:10 PM
awww hazel great story! & love the pics as usual.

Sounds like frenchy sent you her ladybugs:laughing:

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 09:18 PM
awww hazel great story! & love the pics as usual.

Sounds like frenchy sent you her ladybugs:laughing:

I was hoping she'd take 'em back... :p

Frenchy
October 12th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I was hoping she'd take 'em back... :p

No thanks , I had to vacuum mine of the ceiling and screen door today :yuck:

ahhh the pack and story telling :cloud9: love the face Grace made when she got attacked by the lady bugs :laughing: too cute :lovestruck: all of them :lovestruck:

TulipRoxy
October 12th, 2008, 09:35 PM
This was my first story... loved it. You have an excellent imagination. I love the pic of the pack all together! Thats a lot of dog! WOW

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 09:58 PM
No thanks , I had to vacuum mine of the ceiling and screen door today :yuck:

Welcome to my world! :laughing: And you know how much I love to vacuum....NOT!! :p

This was my first story... loved it. You have an excellent imagination. I love the pic of the pack all together! Thats a lot of dog! WOW

Glad you enjoyed it! :D And you're so kind...most people tell me my imagination is 'overactive', not 'excellent'! :laughing:

I think we have about 375 pounds of dog here...makes for snuggly winter nights! :cloud9:

14+kitties
October 12th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I think we have about 375 pounds of dog here...makes for snuggly winter nights! :cloud9:

:laughing::laughing: Or mouths full of long setter hair!!

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 10:44 PM
:laughing::laughing: Or mouths full of long setter hair!!

Well, that too.... :p

growler~GateKeeper
October 12th, 2008, 10:55 PM
They don't swarm as badly as the story implies :o

Years ago living @ my parents house I had left my bedroom window open a little everyday to let in the end of summer air, when fall rolled around the window was always closed w/a blanket over it to keep the heat in. One day I went to look out the window there was probably close to 25 ladybugs :eek: on the inside of the window I then had to open it to shoo them out & the few that escaped past the blanket & into the room then started the dreaded tapping on the ceiling & light :yuck: *shudder* No more open windows at the end of August!

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 11:05 PM
the few that escaped past the blanket & into the room then started the dreaded tapping on the ceiling & light :yuck: *shudder* No more open windows at the end of August!

Oh, been there! We've had a few lamp damaging incidents as the Canine Defenders lunge after the ones trapped in the lamp shades! :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
October 12th, 2008, 11:07 PM
:laughing: oh dawg I can just imagine the chaos :laughing: http://bestsmileys.com/dogs/3.gif

Frenchy
October 12th, 2008, 11:16 PM
:laughing: oh dawg I can just imagine the chaos :laughing: http://bestsmileys.com/dogs/3.gif

and what a beautiful chaos that would be :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 11:18 PM
yeah, nothing quite like quietly reading in bed and suddenly having the Thundering Herd ride roughshod over your head on its way to save the lamp from Lady Bugs! :D

growler~GateKeeper
October 12th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I'm guessing there's no video of that eh? :D

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I'm guessing there's no video of that eh? :D

:laughing:

Good guess! :p

growler~GateKeeper
October 12th, 2008, 11:28 PM
:sad: too bad - would make for a good laugh now wouldn't it :laughing:

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 11:44 PM
:sad: too bad - would make for a good laugh now wouldn't it :laughing:
Yeah, hazel with two black eyes and a broken nose :p

growler~GateKeeper
October 12th, 2008, 11:52 PM
:eek: did you really? :grouphug:

did you manage to save the lamp? :D

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 11:59 PM
:eek: did you really? :grouphug:

did you manage to save the lamp? :D

Most of the lamps were saved...and I was just joking about the two black eyes and the broken nose. I was just using my 'excellent' imagination! :laughing: Thank you TulipRoxy! :D

growler~GateKeeper
October 13th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Ah ha & very believable excellant imagination you have there :thumbs up

chico2
October 13th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Hazel,amazing pics,seeing all the pups together leaves me in awe OMG:laughing:
This summer I could count the lady-bugs I've seen on one hand:sad:they were all in Wisconsin:laughing:
Those look like the orange ones,that bite,we had lots of them one year,but not that many.
I love the little red ones,but like the Monarchs,I did not see many this year:sad:

ancientgirl
October 13th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I love that third one, everyone rushing for the story. They all look so happy.

hazelrunpack
October 13th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Those look like the orange ones,that bite,we had lots of them one year,but not that many.
I love the little red ones,but like the Monarchs,I did not see many this year:sad:

I haven't seen one of the native red ones in ages. :sad: These are all the biting asian variety. I think our native ones have been out-competed. :shrug:

I love that third one, everyone rushing for the story. They all look so happy.

I wish I could get a shot of all eight high-tailing it over--it's a sight to behold. Unfortunately, the little dickenses move too fast for hazel. :frustrated: :laughing:

Chaser
October 13th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Another fantastic story! :thumbs up Being greeted by the Pack at the door looks like so much fun! That would be a perfect day :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
October 13th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks, Chase_Mom. Any time you want to come try out the greeting at the door routine, you're welcome! :D You might want to wait till the lady bugs are gone, though! :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
October 13th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I wish I could get a shot of all eight high-tailing it over--it's a sight to behold. Unfortunately, the little dickenses move too fast for hazel. :frustrated: :laughing:

That's what the video camera is for :yell::D

onster
October 13th, 2008, 09:35 PM
awwww I loves it!!!! and i get to see more of this now...yay!!!!

and i never knew lady bugs bite :eek: So far Ive only encountered red ones and i usually carry them gently outside the house...but I dunno about these orange ones :eek:

their smell aggrevates your ashtma??? . Not good.

krdahmer
October 13th, 2008, 11:53 PM
That is a LOT of ladybugs!!! :eek:

And what a sweet welcome home for hubby!!! All those furry faces and wagging tails, must make you all feel soooo loved!:lovestruck::cloud9:

wdawson
October 14th, 2008, 03:02 PM
i see the new camera is being used....:laughing:

hazelrunpack
October 14th, 2008, 11:26 PM
That's what the video camera is for

:lightbulb: Good thought! :o Only then I have to try to upload Ms instead of Ks and tonight I can't even upload a pic less than 50K :eek: I'll try, though...eventually the lines have to get better, don't they? :o

awwww I loves it!!!! and i get to see more of this now...yay!!!!

and i never knew lady bugs bite So far Ive only encountered red ones and i usually carry them gently outside the house...but I dunno about these orange ones

their smell aggrevates your ashtma??? . Not good.

Yeah...annoying little buggers :frustrated: I'm gonna invent me a ladybug zapper that incinerates them, nasty chemical smell and all! :evil:

Thankfully, today they were much less numerous. I 'spect they were off on the sunny side of a tree, plotting their next raid... :o

And what a sweet welcome home for hubby!!! All those furry faces and wagging tails, must make you all feel soooo loved!:

Not to mention sooooo jumped on and barked at! :laughing: Our crew doesn't have the best welcoming manners. Too few visitors and too many dogs to get them all trained up...

But yes...we feel very loved... :cloud9:

i see the new camera is being used....:laughing:

Yes it is...filling up disk space fast! In fact, you would have gotten the grooming routine pics today if my connection had permitted. :D As I've mentioned elsewhere, the only thing standing between you and total Hazel Run overload is hazel's bad connection! :laugh: