Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitty scratches.

In KirklandLake
October 12th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Of our 5 kitties, only 1 tends to scratch me. It is always unintentional.

Blackie is very skiddish, preferring very little human contact, as if feral.
But I still cuddle her daily in hopes she'll trust me and come to me for a change.
Blackie has long back nails, which leave long scratches on my arms, when she suddenly launches away from me sometimes.
I use polysporin right away, so rarely get an infection.

I have a great vet for my kitties but no family doctor. So thought I'd pose this question here.

I realize scars are par for the course of having kitties and I'd "never" declaw her. But is there something inexpensive that can be bought over the counter to reduce the scarring?

Thanks in advance for your help and for having such a useful message board.
Though I am a bit overwhelmed by all the information, it is indeed nice to see other like minded pet lovers.

Shelly

ownedbycats
October 12th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Are your cats complete indoor cats?
I have heard of a product you can use on your cats claws, they are these little rubber sheathes that are glued on the claws to blunt them and eventually fall off when the cat sheds it's outer claw sheath. Probably not a good idea if your cat spends any time outdoors, but might be worth a look. See if anyone else has heard of them and whether they are a good idea. If you are getting scratched daily this may give you a couple weeks of relief if someone has tried them and they are safe.

catlover2
October 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
For an inexpensive aid to healing scars, buy some Vitamin E capsules in any pharmacy, and prick to release oil and apply twice a day.

In KirklandLake
October 12th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Blackie only goes out on a leash. But other then that she is inside.

I generally get a new scratch from her once a week. And only once a month does it tend to scar.

I will try the vitamin e. And seek more info regarding the rubber sheathes. Perhaps our vet Dr. Catt knows. I just love her name.

Thank-you for your quick replies and advice.

Shelly

sugarcatmom
October 12th, 2008, 06:51 PM
And seek more info regarding the rubber sheathes.

They're called Soft Paws (http://www.softpaws.com/), but if Blackie is somewhat feral, you may have trouble getting them on her. A vet can do it, but that's a lot of vet visits. My understanding from a neighbor that uses them is that they frequently come off. She's probably replacing a couple of them every week. You'd almost be better off just trying to trim Blackie's claws.

Is there a treat that Blackie absolutely adores? You can use that to try to make her more cuddly. My cat never used to like much "manhandling" (hated being picked up, never sat on laps), but since becoming diabetic he's had to endure quite a lot of hands on treatment. I used special treats as rewards for letting me do stuff to him, and now he's the biggest love bug! Always sitting on my lap, even likes to be carried around like a baby. So there is hope!!

Oh, and aloe vera gel or calendula ointment are a couple other options for dealing with scratches.

In KirklandLake
October 12th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Thank-you for the link. But I don't think she'll allow us to put them on her and leave them alone.

Blackie isn't really feral, she just prefers to be left alone. Plus she thinks she's a male, when her sister goes into heat and becomes quite annoying.

We've tried to trim her back nails in the past, but she gets too anxious. I feared I"d hurt her so gave up.

For now, I am just glad to have some alternatives for the scratches. They do fade in time, so look like stretch marks. So not really that bad.

Thank-you for taking the time to give me some suggestions.

shelly

Diamondsmum
October 12th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Hi there :)

bio-oil (http://www.bio-oil.info/en)although a lil expensive side (lasts along time) Is great for scars from Kitty (my moms cat is the same & it has done wonders for her since this came out)

Also faded a scar that I have on my arm.

Shoppers drug mart I am sure carrys it