Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Funky West Coast Marine Life Pics

TeriM
October 11th, 2008, 11:33 PM
We were over in Tofino in Sept and were walking the beach after a big storm the night before. There was lots of really cool marine life that we saw and thought you guys might be interested.

Regular starfish

Mutant starfish?

Dead Stingray

TeriM
October 11th, 2008, 11:34 PM
and a few more ....

onster
October 11th, 2008, 11:35 PM
:eek::eek: the mutant starfish. ..i hope thats just a different species and not a mutant :eek: else I wouldnt want to go into the water!! cool tho..thanks for sharing!!

TeriM
October 11th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Last ones :D

onster
October 11th, 2008, 11:39 PM
was it a long stretch of beach u walked on? thats quite a few things that washed up! ETA: oh ok just saw that it was after a big storm.

not entirely sure what they all are..but theyre cool nonetheless.

U shouldve collected the clams and had them for supper :D

jiorji
October 12th, 2008, 12:25 AM
i think the mutant is just a jellyfish

i love the seashell cluster

poor stingray :sad:

TeriM
October 12th, 2008, 12:35 AM
was it a long stretch of beach u walked on? thats quite a few things that washed up! ETA: oh ok just saw that it was after a big storm.

Yes, it is a very long stretch of beach and a beautiful spot :cloud9:.

poor stingray :sad:

I know :sad: but it was really cool to see him anyway. I think there was also a dead seal pup on the beach but we stayed away from that just in case it was just put there by its momma.

growler~GateKeeper
October 12th, 2008, 01:28 AM
:cool: I didn't even know there were stingray up here :cool: poor guy :sad: :rip:

Cool starfish :thumbs up yikes that's one big mutant? starfish :eek:

The first pic in post 4 is way cool, I wonder what that was :confused:

:fingerscr the seal pup was just resting

Thanks for sharing the pics :thumbs up

wdawson
October 12th, 2008, 10:03 AM
cool pics.....i even see dinner in a couple of those pics :laughing:

Frenchy
October 12th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I think there was also a dead seal pup on the beach but we stayed away from that just in case it was just put there by its momma.

:cry: :sad:

I didn't know you guys had stingrays over there. They're pretty yummy :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 11:40 AM
"Yummy," Frenchy? :yuck: No thanks... :p

Cool pictures, though. That thing growing up out of the beach...that wasn't growing out of one of those mutant starfish, was it? :eek: :D

Frenchy
October 12th, 2008, 12:11 PM
"Yummy," Frenchy? :yuck: No thanks... :p

Oh but it is Hazel ! :cloud9: My sister use to make it for my b-day's suppers. With "beurre noir" (like garlic butter) :cloud9: it just melts in your mouth (insert drooly smiley right here)

sugarcatmom
October 12th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Love the pics. Love the West Coast!! That "mutant" starfish is called a Sun Star (http://www.oceanlight.com/spotlight.php?img=14949).

rainbow
October 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Cool pics. :cool:

But what is the bunch of white worms in post #2, the "thing" in the first pic of post #4 and the "red blob" in the last pic of post #4? :confused:

rainbow
October 12th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Oh but it is Hazel ! :cloud9: My sister use to make it for my b-day's suppers. With "beurre noir" (like garlic butter) :cloud9: it just melts in your mouth (insert drooly smiley right here)

I never knew you could eat stingray either. Just googled some recipes...

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=stingray

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Hmmmmmm....

"What are we having for dinner tonight, dear?"

"Herb and butter stingray."

:eek:

Nope, just doesn't cut it for hazel...or madame hazel, either. :o I guess we just don't do stingray... :D Well, maybe TDFO, but she'll eat anything! :laughing:

So Frenchy, you can have my serving! :thumbs up

rainbow
October 12th, 2008, 01:28 PM
You've got absolutely no sense of adventure, Hazel. :laughing: I would love to try it although I wouldn't attempt to cook it unless someone skinned the thing for me. :D

Scuba
October 12th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Starfish are not fishes so really should be called seastars.

That was not a mutant seastar, they are a type call "Sunstars" they have way more arms than the traditional five. The one in your picture I think is a sunflower star.

Unfortunately, that was not a sting ray, it is a skate. Still a member of the cartilaginous fishes (fishes that have cartilage instead of bones, like the fins and part of the spine). Cartilaginous fishes include sharks, rays and skates so you were close.

Your ninth picture (last one), of the bright red jelly like thing is a lion mane jelly fish. I would advise not to get too close. Their stinging tentacles can be up to 50 feet long and even when they are washes up on a beach and dead. The stinger cells can still function for a long time.

If you have any other questions please fire away.

Scuba

Scuba
October 12th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Cool pics. :cool:

But what is the bunch of white worms in post #2, the "thing" in the first pic of post #4 and the "red blob" in the last pic of post #4? :confused:

The bunch of white worms are actually cases of eggs. Without actually having examined them myself I would make an educated guess and say they are squid eggs.

The stalks in the first picture of post number four are just that, the stalks of some type of kelp. I can't really tell you which type they are considering the state they are in.

The "red blob" is a lion mane jelly "fish" (not a fish), they are also called sea blubber.

Scuba
October 12th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Onster - The cluster of shells weren't clams, if you look a little more closely, they are are actually muscles. Still very good to eat. I wouldn't advise eating the ones washed up by a storm though. Since the chances of them being dead will be pretty high.

ancientgirl
October 13th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Great pictures. That sunstar was interesting. I've never seen one. Poor stingray thingy.:sad:

Stacer
October 13th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Awesome pics!

I went to the Vancouver Aquarium in February and I'd have to say that the tanks with the BC coastal species was my favourite.

hazelrunpack
October 13th, 2008, 03:31 PM
The bunch of white worms are actually cases of eggs. Without actually having examined them myself I would make an educated guess and say they are squid eggs.

Oooo...squid eggs! Cool! :thumbs up But I won't eat them, either, Frenchy! :p

Thanks for the IDs, Scuba! :D

TeriM
October 16th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Scuba, thanks so much for the information :thumbs up. Considering I've grown up on the westcoast I really am quite challenged when identifying this stuff :D.

Dog Dancer
October 16th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Scuba - you are the man with all the info! I recognized a few but had not heard of the sun star - must go to the aquarium again one day. Great pics and lots of learning here too. Thanks guys.