Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thanksgiving Recipes and other help

otter
October 11th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Well, I look in the fridge this morning and the only thought that comes to mind is "what the heck was I thinking yesterday"... that was when I bought:
a 10lb+ (4kg) Turkey
pumpkin
a carton of buttermilk
a butternut squash
and a 25 lb bag of beets.
UHHHHH :confused::confused::confused: I can't cook :yell:

Does anyone have any EASY (and yummy, of course) recipes for these Thanksgiving type things?? I'm not cooking dinner for anyone - i'm actually going to a friends house so these could be things to put in the freezer or whatever. Oh, and not all the ingredients in the same recipe... though that would be a convenient way to get rid of them.

I must remember not to shop before holidays :D

joeysmama
October 11th, 2008, 11:16 AM
My favorite way to eat beets is to peel them and chop them. Then put them on a shallow sided pan (like a jelly roll pan) and drizzle them with olive oil. Roast them at about 325 or 350 until they're soft and then sprinkle them with salt and toss them with some balsamic vinegar.

Very easy and yummmmy !!

I make pie with butternut squash but you could also make soup with it. Bake it in the oven for about a half hour before you try to peel it or cut it. IT will make it much easier to cut.

Then chop it in cubes and boil it. You can fry the cubes in butter and onion and sprinkle them with sage.

And you can take the leftovers from that and mash them and then put a teaspoon of that on a won ton square. Seal it by dipping your finger in a bowl of water and running it around the edges of the wonton, just lightly to misten. Fold it over, press it together and fry in a pan with a tiny bit of oil.

I took these to a party once and got RAVES !!!

Frenchy
October 11th, 2008, 12:49 PM
a 10lb+ (4kg) Turkey
pumpkin
a carton of buttermilk
a butternut squash
and a 25 lb bag of beets.
UHHHHH :confused::confused::confused: I can't cook :yell:

:laughing: a whole turkey to yourself ? You're going to share with Molly right ? :D

rainbow
October 11th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I always google stuff for recipe ideas but joeysmama gave you some good ones. :thumbs up

But whatever possessed you to buy 25 lbs. of beets for yourself??? :D

otter
October 11th, 2008, 01:20 PM
My favorite way to eat beets is to peel them and chop them. Then put them on a shallow sided pan (like a jelly roll pan) and drizzle them with olive oil. Roast them at about 325 or 350 until they're soft and then sprinkle them with salt and toss them with some balsamic vinegar.

Very easy and yummmmy !!

I make pie with butternut squash but you could also make soup with it. Bake it in the oven for about a half hour before you try to peel it or cut it. IT will make it much easier to cut.

Then chop it in cubes and boil it. You can fry the cubes in butter and onion and sprinkle them with sage.

And you can take the leftovers from that and mash them and then put a teaspoon of that on a won ton square. Seal it by dipping your finger in a bowl of water and running it around the edges of the wonton, just lightly to misten. Fold it over, press it together and fry in a pan with a tiny bit of oil.

I took these to a party once and got RAVES !!!
Joeysma - those all sound WONDERFUL and well within my cooking abilities :thumbs up:thumbs up
and a :grouphug: cause it makes me that happy

:laughing: a whole turkey to yourself ? You're going to share with Molly right ?
I think i'm gonna be sharing with EVERYONE, if I can figure out how to cook the darn thing :frustrated: Maybe we should start the RAW diet now :D

Grocery stores are dangerous places for me, i'm way to easily suckered in by advertising - and there were signs everywhere to "get your turkey"... I just had to obey :laughing:

I always google stuff for recipe ideas but joeysmama gave you some good ones.

But whatever possessed you to buy 25 lbs. of beets for yourself??? :D
Hmmmm, I like beets and they were cheap :confused::laughing: I'm a bit of a nut in a grocery store (see above)... oh and they were grown in Ontario, i'm trying to "go local" (well as much as possible considering NOTHING edible grows within 500km of here, except blueberries and I get those for free :D)

I like to google recipes too but I tend to pick ones that are too complicated and involve me going out and buying more ingredients, then having everything rot cause I have no time to cook it (or it turns out inedible :yuck:) or I spend all my time googling and no time cooking, ugh

Frenchy
October 11th, 2008, 01:27 PM
if I can figure out how to cook the darn thing :frustrated:

otter , I've been making one for the pasts x-mas. If I can do this , you can too ! Believe me !

joeysmama
October 11th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Do you like Borscht? I have a recipe that's easy to make if you don't mind slicing the beeets. I don't have a food processor so I have to do it by hand. If you have a food processor it should be super easy. Let me know if you want that one.

rainbow
October 11th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Do you like Borscht? I have a recipe that's easy to make if you don't mind slicing the beeets. I don't have a food processor so I have to do it by hand. If you have a food processor it should be super easy. Let me know if you want that one.

I love borscht if it's the Russian one but I don't think they use alot of beets in their recipe. :shrug:

otter
October 11th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Hmm, I don't think I've ever had borscht... which is surprising given my family heritage (Estonian - they share some Russian traits cause they were occupied by Russians for so long). If you have a good recipe, send it along Joeysma - the more beets used the better :thumbs up But no food processor here either :sad:

Anyone have a good pickled beet recipe (sweet)?

Any ideas for the buttermilk??

I'm gonna google "how to cook a Turkey" and i'm gonna be very specific about NOT deep frying :p(I already tried to blow up my house once, can't afford to do it again) :D

joeysmama
October 11th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I think this recipe is more along the lines of a polish borscht. It's from Linda's Kitchen. I'll have to get the cookbook out tomorrow though. My husband has all his painting stuff out on my sideboard so my cookbooks are out of reach tonight.

Buttermilk is good in baking isn't it?

When I make a turkey I cook it at 350 or 375 I think. I allow 20 minutes a pound so a 10 pound turkey should take what? 3 hours? No, 2 and a half? My math isn't great but you definitely don't want underdone turkey. I cover the legs with foil after they brown and then uncover them again the last half hour. Your want the legs to move easily when you gently try to move them up and down. I use a meat thermometer towards the end and I don't take it out until it registers. Mine says poultry right on the thermometer so that makes it easy. When the needle hits "poultry" it's done.

It will cook more quickly if it isn't stuffed.

otter
October 11th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Do you think buttermilk can be substituted for regular milk in baking... like to make buttermilk bread?? I have a bread machine (ummmm i'm not sure I've ever used it, but I have it :laughing:)

No stuffing in the turkey so hopefully calculations won't be too hard. I definitely know that if you can't smell turkey it ain't ready (no matter what anyone says :D) I've had to take a lot of turkeys out of the oven so hopefully I can recognize a "done" turkey OK. Once my mom took the turkey out too early and when we went to carve it was raw in the middle - we just dumped the whole thing in a huge pot and boiled it up for stew instead.... was one of the better dinners we had :laughing: Sorry Mom, but we both know where I got my lousy cooking genes from :lovestruck:

Ack, my Estonian cook book has a borscht recipe but it looks really complicated (and it calls for frankfurters... what kinda recipe calls for hot dogs?? :yuck:) I'll hold out for yours :D

Thanks!:thumbs up

Karin
October 11th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Mmmmm, I must have smelled this thread because I love Turkey!

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadian friends here. I believe this is your holiday coming up?

I love cooking, and when I want a no-fuss turkey I use one of those large cooking bags. They will kinda baste themselves that way. 375 degrees is good for a start, then after an hour or 2 back down the temp and let it slow cook. The drippings make a wonderful gravy and the meat can be frozen for later lunches or snacks.

I need to go turkey shopping soon. I live alone but I will cook one, stuffing and all.....because I love the leftovers! Plus it will serve as my lunches at work for a long time.

otter
October 11th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Hi Karin,
Yup tomorrow is Canadian turkey day!!!

I too love turkey, which is a good thing cause i'm gonna be eating it for a while now. I like the bag idea.... i'm not sure we have cooking bags at our grocery store... is it a foil bag, paper? would something else do similar (tin foil?) - stores are closed tomorrow :sad: and I gotta cook it tomorrow. I wondered about slow cooking - I got all the time in the world and I know it usually makes things more tender, just wasn't sure it worked with turkey :thumbs up

thanks for input :goodvibes:

Karin
October 11th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I usually buy the cooking bags, a plastic heat safe kind. Reynolds is the name brand that comes to mind. McCormick may have some too. Trust me...you will love them!
You will still need a roaster pan but these make the clean up so much easier.

I'm thinking you are not going to want to share once your cooking is done.

Have a Happy, Happy Thanksgiving all! Enjoy your friends and family and remember,

One of these days, there will be no more "one of these days".

Love them now.

rainbow
October 11th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Cook a 10lb. turkey about 3 1/2 hours at 325 degrees or until you can easily wiggle the leg. :)

otter
October 12th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Cook a 10lb. turkey about 3 1/2 hours at 325 degrees or until you can easily wiggle the leg. :)

OK.... cooks is done, I think :confused: I wiggled the leg and it fell off :eek:
Is that a good thing or bad :shrug:

Actually, A whole lot more than the legs fell off, pretty much all the meat fell off the bones - I'm not so sure that is supposed to happen :o

What have I DONE!! :eek:

Karin
October 12th, 2008, 10:21 PM
You should be saying num num by now. If not ..I know you are lying.

otter
October 12th, 2008, 10:31 PM
You should be saying num num by now. If not ..I know you are lying.
Right now I should be sleeping :sleepy:

Turkey drugs are kicking in :laughing:

Mmmmmm, me and all the fuzzbutts got our turkey fix :thumbs up:cloud9:

Thanks to all you wonderful folks!

Karin... I found some "LOOK!"cooking bags and they worked great!!! Thanks so much for that super easy suggestion :thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

Frenchy
October 12th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Now that you're a pro on the turkey cooking , next year you'll deep fry it ?

:goodvibes: :D

Karin
October 13th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Right now I should be sleeping :sleepy:

Turkey drugs are kicking in :laughing:

Mmmmmm, me and all the fuzzbutts got our turkey fix :thumbs up:cloud9:

Thanks to all you wonderful folks!

Karin... I found some "LOOK!"cooking bags and they worked great!!! Thanks so much for that super easy suggestion :thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

I am glad to hear they worked out. I love to cook and sometimes these bag's come in real handy. One of my favorites is to use a top sirloin roast or chuck, it really doesn't matter because they both turn out great. Use what even seasoning to the meat you like and put a can of cream of mushroom soup over the top, close the bag and cook. Makes it's own gravy. Another no fuss. Mashed taters go great with it too.
My mother started cooking our Sunday dinner with the roast and mushroom soup over 30 years ago, I just altered the recipe a little. Sometimes I add more mushroom and onions. Sometimes I flame sear the roast in butter & wine prior to putting it in the bag to roast. In all it takes about an hour & 1/2. Which is plenty of time to get side dishes going.
I have many friends who do not cook....and I love to share. A key lime pie makes for a good finish and it takes only 15 minutes. Leftovers get spread out to whoever barks first and the loudest. And I save enough for my lunch at work the next day.
And fun is always to be had...